Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

In fairness to the LDA, they were tasked with assessing all lands and determining their suitability/availability for housing.

They are glacial in terms of the Colbert site but the below update was in the report too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Colbert Area was launched in 2019.

How much longer do they need to actually get it started

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's waffle that promises absolutely nothing. As I said, they have yet to deliver one home in the entire country.

How can they still not have a masterplan finalised after four years? And even when that is finalised it'll be more years before it gets through planning and even more years after that before it goes to construction.

I'd confidently predict that nobody will be living in any new homes before the end of the decade.

The LDA is an absolute joke. 5 - 10 years to deliver on greenfield sites. Longer on others that are occupied with no guarantee that the semi states will agree hand over their land. And the likelyhood is that they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Construction to recommence on ‘world class’ University of Limerick Student Centre (UL)

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Construction is to recommence on a major new state of the art student centre at University of Limerick.

The project to construct the landmark building in a strategic location at the campus gateway is back up and running following a retender process and is due for completion in mid-2024.

Monami Construction has been appointed to complete the new UL Student Centre contract. Site set up and mobilisation began in late February with the contract commencing this coming Monday, March 20.

The new UL Student Centre, a 3,529 square metre building set four storeys over basement, is located in a prime front of house location adjacent to the Stables Complex and the Glucksman Library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Would you like a 5 storey tower block overlooking your property? I hope you do as your council planners will approve it no matter how hard you object by the looks of it

27 objections put in against it, including some well known politicians

4 storey. And even if it was 5 as was originally planned, it wouldn't be anywhere near a 'tower' block.

Also, it doesn't matter how many people object to it, if it's not a relevant objection, it will be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

That's right out of the Limerick Leader school of hyperbole and sensationalism. Nick Rabbitts had a piece earlier in the week on the redevelopment of the former fire station on Thomas Street where he stated that the new build 'would tower up to 5 levels!' Imagine that, a five storey building right in the heart of the city centre. Where do we think we are? Manhattan or somewhere?😫

On a more serious note that apartment development on Childers Road/Greenfields road is entirely appropriate. It aligns with all the principles of National Planning policy; supporting compact growth and urban revitalisation, the objective to deliver 50% of all new homes within the existing footprint of Limerick city, supporting sustainable and active travel and transport use with the development sited in an accessible and built up location. It's also categorised as an 'intermediate urban location' which makes it suitable for medium to high density. The building height is equivalent to the new Gough Place apartment across the road which is on a slightly elevated site.

A look at the plans will also show that the building is sited as close to the Childers Road boundary as possible and is orientated away from existing houses. Open green space and parking with screening planting face the boundaries with neighbouring properties. Nothing to see here. Although I have absolutely no doubt local residents will be queuing up to appeal this to An Bord Pleanala on the most vexacious grounds. But but the housing crisis....🙄

You haven't answered my question, would you like such a thing across the road from your house? Maybe you would and that is fair!

Are all 27 objections not relevant. I took a look at one or 2 that make reference to flooding, increased traffic, overbearing and unsightly.... Which of those to you is irrelevant?

• Advertisement

It towers above the existing houses in the area (2 storeys surrounding it) and is a block of flats... What would you call it?

Take the time to look at the plans on eplanning and you will see how wrong you are. Gough Place has a maximum of 3 storeys and (according to the plans) is lower than neighbouring housing.

Joe Leddin supplied an interesting observation that Goughs Place is less dense as well despite it being 100% council owned

I recon if the council or developer had a more open mind about it they'd have a 3-storey unit, similar to goughs, built by now which would be better all around in my opinion

There are 2 storey houses near me that are built on a small hill. The houses behind are 2 storey as well but the bedroom windows are level with the gardens above. The higher houses are essentially 4 storey. Same happens in Thomondgate.

No one seems to have a problem with this despite some towering over others because it is a housing estate of 2 storey houses and the hate for "towering" 4 storey blocks is pure and utter ideological and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I hope your not going to Cork next week for the hurling. You will have a heart attack if you look up at the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If we ever want to solve this housing crisis were going to have to start building up.

Ok so back to my original question. What would you call a 4-storey apartment block towering above nearby 2-storey houses?

And the traffic crisis.

Also we are discovering that primary care for our ageing population is an absolute nightmare for our dispersed population.

As someone who works with the elderly I honestly implore people to think about it before they move off to the countryside. It will be of huge benefit to you and your children (free taxi) if you are close to healthcare services.

100% my ageing parent is starting to think it might be time to move closer to the hairdressers

I would call it a "4 storey apartment block".

What is the difference between them and Moyross or Thomondgate where some houses look down into the bedrooms of others ?

What's the difference to any estate built on a hill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Nope. I'd advise you to study the plans in greater detail. In particular the contiguous elevations where the level changes between this new apartment development and the Gough Place apartments are clearly specified. Gough Place is sited on an elevated plot which means that the parapet heights of both buildings are aligned owing to the upward slope of Rosbrien Road towards Lord Edward Street and Punch's Cross.

Also, the chimney stacks on the Childers Road and Greenfields Road houses bring the overall height of those dwellings to 16 metres. Just 4 metres lower than the parapet height of the new apartment building.

• Advertisement

A bit of a simplistic view if you don't mind me saying, some of the highest up cities in the world, have some of the biggest homelessness problems. I'd also make the argument that not pissing off neighbours will get housing built faster, further alleviating the homeless problem

Baring the obvious that an apartment block is not a house... Can't believe that I have to explain such a concept but here we are... In both examples the houses were pre-existing before being sold to the public. Greenfields was built around 1964 and most of the residents bough the houses from new without any indication of a 4-storey apartment block towering over them

Yes, Gough place is nearby and roughly the same height of this building but isn't taller than the height of nearby housing. Interestingly they claim the top of the building doesn't include what seems to be a lift shaft

I live in a bungalow. The houses behind me are two storey and all can see into my back garden. I couldn't care less if a 4 storey block was built across the road.

And how many of these objectors are qualified to comment on flooding or traffic or what overbearing actually means? I'd suggest none of them. Being unsightly is in the eye of the beholder and is an irrelevant objection.

I live in a bungalow also but I certainly wouldn't want such a huge overbearing building on my doorstep so I can really see where these residents, as well as the Hassets cross and Punches Cross ones are coming from.

I'd imagine that living there and having your house flooded regularly would probably qualify you to know there's a problem with flooding so I'd call it a valid concern but each to their own. Something that stands out so much in a housing development would be considered unsightly

The housing crisis and the homeless crisis are 2 very different things and you know that well.

It's not at all. The housing crisis is mostly people renting or stuck at home with parents who can't get their own place. It also causes a huge problem for employment in highly populated areas because Irish people have to travel huge distances for work and foreigners can't move to the area for work. The housing crisis in Limerick is the main reason I hear over and over for the staff shortages in the hospital I work in.

The homeless crisis for the most part is people with various problems that require more than just a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

"Greenfields was built around 1964 and most of the residents bough the houses from new without any indication of a 4-storey apartment block towering over them"

Are you serious??

They would have also had no indication that man would land on the moon and be able to look down on them

Did the people living near Rosbrien in the 50's have any indication they would have a new housing estate built beside them

The residents have every right to object but to say I bought here in 63 and nothing shall change is rubbish

Open to correction but I'm fairly sure the announcement of the attempt to put the first man on the moon was made in 1961 by JFK who set a deadline of "the end of the decade" so they probably knew the moon landing was coming in the mid 60s

I'm also not making the argument that "nothing will change" was the mindset... There's a big difference between change and these things

I wonder do the people of Greenfields complain about the new retail parks, hospitals, health centres, industrial parks, stadiums, sports facilities, ring roads, motorways, universities, hospitality venues built since 1964.

You couldn't get a pizza in Limerick in 1964.

The city has changed and expanded beyond all recognition in those 59 years and people can't just cherry pick the bits they like.

• Advertisement

What a ridiculous comment... Considering the other things you listed don't have a negative impact on their lives I'd imagine it's just this... Although that road has gotten busier since the ring road opened and the Roxboro junction closed so maybe that too? Just a guess

Advertisement