Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

SF wont do anything. We put our family home on the market, all the council tried to do was slow it down, as it was an council house first but parents both it in the 80's and we had to get the boundaries re-checked.

Council kept delaying everything while not asking if they could buy the house, it was idle for 4 years!!!

SF are the main party on the council there and one of them lived up the road and knew the situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

In the article it says clearly Varadkar told people to get legal advice.

If people want to ignore that then let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's all part of the same squeeze Blanch. On the one side you have the government under pressure to provide social housing and responding by buying up properties. On the other, working taxpayers who are renters being squeezed / put out but who are also limited in their purchase options because of competition from the state. As I observed, you wanna be very careful of just who are being discommoded in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The solution is more builds, whether it is the eviction ban or housing agencies and local authorities buying properties, it is only different people fighting over the same number of dwellings. Focussing on issues like the eviction ban, as the opposition is doing, is detracting from the real problems.

The real problems are in building more homes. The record of the opposition parties in particular in objecting to every single housing development is dreadful. The performance of the councils is abysmal. I asked a question a month ago whether there was any large housing development in Dublin that Sinn Fein hadn't objected to, and nobody was able to provide me with an example.

You may be right that this situation may come back to bite the government parties, but the cynical way that the opposition have operated in blocking government attempts to solve the problem and distracting the public with irrelevant issues is deeply worrying if they ever get into government as they are clearly putting their own interests ahead of the public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

But thats not all he said now is it. But i can see where we are going. You will keep saying thats all he said. Anyone with a brain will not have disengaged their ears at the point you did and will have the full context.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This housing issue won't be solved unless either of FF, FG, SF or any other party and suddenly conjure up a 100,000 houses over night. Also what needs to be looked at is the type of housing. We need all sorts accommodation from the one bed to the house and everything in between including the shared living accommodation, that some people were aghast when seeing them. The shared living is a good idea, I lived in a couple fo these places in Paris when I was working there and it was grand, just like a dorm, you have your room and then there was a restaurant where you could get a decent meal and then a hang out area. Yes it's not long term but it is perfect for anyone who maybe be moving to a new city/town/area and need somewhere to like this temporarily till you get settled or if you were contracting it would make sense to get one of these rooms till the contract is finished. At the moment here we have everyone competing for the for either houses or apartments, we need more choices so not to have everyone competing in the same markets.

Whats coming next is SF get in and blame everything on the previous government. Then say the previous government messed it up so much they will need a few terms to sort it out. Nothing will be sorted out and FFG will take their turn to railroad SF to make it worse by just taking populist measures that are not designed at all to help and will never have a hope of doing other than being seen to be doing something popular.

I cant see a way out of this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Economics101

Well, as I write this RTE 1 has the Clare Byrne gig going on and on about the eviction ban. I think Scare Byrne likes to frighten the vast majority of tenants who do not face eviction. Same Scary approach as she had with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes lack of builds is the problem and I suspect that regardless of who is to blame, the public are fed up with lack of foresight and progress. There's also the question of imbalanced development with too much emphasis on the greater Dublin region, where costs are highest. The buck has to stop somewhere.

• Advertisement

The original post you made with the word "practically" used because he doesn't say antyhing of the sort

DownByTheGardenMar 30, 2023

https://www.thejournal.ie/evictions-ireland-leo-varadkar-6032311-Mar2023/

Leo caught with the lies again.

But he is playing a blinder if what he wants is to scare every landlord left to sell up.

Hes practically telling people not to move out if they get notice.

The title of the article: Free Legal Advice Centre says Taoiseach's claims on evictions do not reflect 'legal reality'

The article itself is about an organisation which is saying it doesn't have capacity to give the legal advice. As per the section below.

Responding to Varadkar saying that people faced with notices of termination should seek legal advice from FLAC and other bodies, Barry said that while FLAC agrees with the suggestions, the centre’s services already face “overwhelming demand”, and can only answer one third of the calls made to their telephone information linewell because Leo told people to get Not as you claim about Leo telling people not to move out.

Next time read the article you link to, find it is always a help. You didn't even seem to get past the headline in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nothing is going to be done "over night". That's just not possible. And we have no idea what the Shinners can do about our appalling housing situation.

However, what we DO know is that current lot have had their hands on the tiller for a long time now and have let things get to a truly dreadful point because they just don't give a **** and really have no intent on trying to remedy the mess they've made.

To keep putting these people into power and expecting a different result, when we have decades of evidence displaying their lethargy, is pure folly.

It is not just the lack of builds that is the problem, there is also the lack of workers to work on those builds and then the other issue as they bring in workers from other countries to work on those builds they also need housing. People hark back to the social housing builds of the 50's and 60's, I am sure they had challenges but what the didn't have was a lack of workers and a lack of land to build on.

What the government should do is get cross party support for a way forward and then implement it as quickly as possible even if that means setting up a state agency to oversee and manage it instead of spreading it out over multiple agencies.

The government asked fo cross party support. Many many months ago, it was ignored and we continue to see houses etc been blocked daily by the opposition

The same people standing up with little stories about people been homeless and then 5 mins later walk away and block every house possible because it is not in the oppositions interest for the housing crisis to get better.

It is hilarious to read all the excuses from SF supporters and they are not even in government yet. They already know Sinn Fein will be useless so best to get in excuses now. Terrible terrible party if they don't even want to attempt to fix any of the issues

Sinn Fein are in government in the North and responsible for housing. Let me know how they are getting on will you because last time I checked it was a total disaster

Are here we go its all the shinners fault again? Sinn Fein are not the only party as we have seen blocking by the opposition as you say. So at least when you say something like that at least be honest about it. All parties are engaged in it so you can park that excuse.

Who said it was "the shinners fault"

I said the government asked all parties yet we have all parties still blocking. PBP, SF, etc...Im sure the government parties are as well.

The only reason I mentioned the Shinners specifically is because you quoted a post with someone making excuses for the Shinners not fixing the housing crisis

So who is making excuses now? because it certainly wasn't me

Go way out of that every post you have made you have looked to blame the opposition for not solving the problem. I have seen it on other threads as well. You are being dishonest.

Also as for the opposition not putting forward ideas they have and the government have rejected them, they should have rejected the eviction ban instead of bringing it in as well. This was called out by the Soc Dems when Michael Martin was accusing them of the exact same thing you are.

You are so blinkered. What exactly do you think Leo is saying here. I thik everyone but you actually understands what he is doing here.

Leo Quotes :

"People often mix up notices of termination with evictions...and I would expect those numbers to continue to be very small. And I can guarantee you that judges are very reluctant to evict people into homelessness."

"judges will be “very reluctant” to issue eviction notices"

"I think some people will overhold and I think in those scenarios the vast majority of property owners and landlords are very reasonable.“You know, they will understand that sometimes people will need more time to provide an alternative place to go, provided they’re paying the rent, a lot of property owners and landlords will be reasonable about that"

"There will be other cases that end up in the courts where courts will adjudicate on the matter and decide whether or not an eviction order is appropriate. And from my experience dealing with difficult cases and constituency cases, the courts are very reluctant to evict people into homelessness for humanitarian reasons"

"actual eviction orders can only be issued by a court and it’s very, very rare that a judge would evict an individual family into homelessness. They would always try to provide time for a solution to be found"

You said I blamed the "shinner" when I didn't. Clearly lying about what I posted.

I clearly said the government had asked the opposition about helping to resolve the housing issue. Which you had stated in your previous post should be done.

If you want to discuss a topic/post from other thread then post on that thread instead of lying on this one to cover up for the rubbish you are posting.

Plus I didn't say the opposition had not put forward any ideas, I said the opposition are blocking developments. Another lie you just made up.

Then you accuse someone of been dishonest? Hilarious.

• Advertisement

You just copied and pasted the article to prove he didn't "practically telling people not to move out if they get notice."

Thank you for clearly that up for everyone.

Read the top line of the second post where you said "The government asked fo cross party support. Many many months ago, it was ignored and we continue to see houses etc been blocked daily by the opposition", I even highlighted in bold where you said the opposition ignored the call for cross party support when infact they were submitting ideas to the government and the government were rejecting them. This whole housing shambles has been caused by mainly 2 parties and they are FG and FF along with whoever went into government with them and supported them. So it is not me who is being dishonest it is you.

Also this line "It is hilarious to read all the excuses from SF supporters and they are not even in government yet. They already know Sinn Fein will be useless so best to get in excuses now. Terrible terrible party if they don't even want to attempt to fix any of the issues". Is this put in as a wind up to get a reaction because it is one of the most ridiculous lines I have read on here and that is saying something for some of the other SF haters on here, Are you really expecting the government of whatever shape or hue to solve the housing crisis that FF and FG have created over the last 30 or so odd years? Cop onto yourself.

I am waiting for the apology.

Calling someone dishonest and then telling them to "cop onto yourself" Hilarious

There won't be an apology and you was correct you were being dishonest. You said the opposition didn't offer any ideas and I have said they have as evidenced by the Soc Dems calling the government out on it in the Dáil. Also you say SF are blocking houses and you don't doubt that the other parties are too then why did you only mention SF, when there is plenty of evidence of FG TD's blocking housing and only recently Nessa Hourigan blocking housing. So yes you are dishonest and trying to pin the blame on SF when infact it is every single one of the parties are to blame with FG and FF taking the majority of it. So climb down there off your pedestal and be a bit more honest in your posting. Also don't assume anyone not for the government is a shinner, that is another stupid mistake to make.

People want to live in Dublin, in fact they want to live in the part of Dublin that they grew up in. That simply isn't possible and that expectation is also part of the problem.

What an absolute mess the government have made of this? Why not just extend the ban till they had the "safety nets" in place? Why do it now? An absolute mess. Maybe there is some truth that the government are doing this now to avoid doing it closer to the Local and european elections. So cynical if it turns out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s the right time to do it coming into the summer from the governments perspective, people tolerate increased evictions less in the height of winter. The laughable safety nets will be so full of loopholes to make them close to useless.

Im laughing at his use of "first refusal". If someone wants to buy your property then all they need to do is be the highest bidder. This "first refusal" sh1te is more taking away an owners rights. I dont think it would be too long before the govt were taken up on that one. And probably have to pay any losses that anyone ever had due to not allowing them to put their property in the market.

Dont ever rent your properties out folks. You might never get them back. And on the off chance that you do, you might be forced to sell them to only one bidder.

I just can't understand why the government are doing when the "Safety nets" are not in place, it doesn't make any sense. I get what you are saying about easier to evict in summer than in winter but it doesn't matter when the eviction occurs if there is nothing there for evictee, either another rental, councils buying the place or whatever, surely it would have been better for the government to have all this in place, the LA's funded to purchase the properties and the legislation in place before ending the eviction ban, sure that's what it was brought in for in the first place. It really seems like they are doing it to p1ss people off or maybe they are doing it to distract from something else they are up to. Just doesn't make sense

• Advertisement

Well, if I am selling a property that has tenants, I will add 20% onto the price I think I will get and offer it on a "first refusal" basis to the tenants and the council.

Advertisement