Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR738

Looks like an A321LR will do DUB-MAN-DUB-CDG-DUB in between T/A flights. So the mid morning CDG service will also see the LR now.

Great utilisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

First day of the NOC - LHR route. Let's hope it works out in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

I seen an a320 is covering emarld flights is it due to staff shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A320's show up on some Emerald routes on busy days, e.g six nations to provide extra capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I assume those a320 flights are done by AL pilots and crew? Or do emerald still provide some/all of the crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Only Aer Lingus pilots and crew are certified to operate their aircraft. Ditto for Emerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

Does anyone have any background info/predictions regarding Aer Lingus securing slots for DUB-LDY? A post on airliners.net directed me to the ACL Slot report for Dublin which came out on the 22nd.

I understand securing slots isn't a done deal considering Norse had acquired some last year? But with some pressure for the route to be started, is it likely that we'll see this operation start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

LDY airport is Derry (or Londonderry if you're that way inclined). Doubt there would be any slot requirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

There may not be any restrictions / scarcity but you still need to secure slots.

If Emerald are starting LDYDUB I wonder would they look at ORKDUB to feed TATL.

Yeah I'd imagine the airport would gladly accept the service, it's just a matter of EI making the decision. There have been calls from SF to instate the route due to the lack of proper transport links to Dublin. However a bus service has started recently, linking the two cities...

I've seen plenty of discussion with folk saying it wouldn't make sense due to the motorway/rail links from Cork-Dublin but I still think it'd be a good idea. I wonder could they somehow survey the amount of pax originating from Cork who take flights on to Dublin/to Heathrow and further beyond. Maybe that's quite invasive though 🤨 and furthermore I heavily doubt they'd get any sort of government support for it. But who's to say they absolutely require it for regional ops on every route...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Most pax who connect at LHR will be with BA so they already have the data.

it would need to be at least 2x daily which is only 145 seats each way. Im sure it would work with connections to the US. If I lived in Munster I’d rather fly from Cork and connect than drive to Dublin but maybe that’s just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Interesting to see A332 EI-DUO operating yesterday's flight to Orlando.

I wonder will we see her flying the SFO and LAX routes anytime again?

I love the -200s.

Is there any update on DAA's return?

SEA is the only -200 west coast route, LAX/SFO will be a A330-300 HGW due passenger demand. That said a -200 could appear if things get messy due a technical problem

Only the -200 (DUO/DAA) and the 4 A330-300 HGW's can make west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Tomorrow by the look of it but that could be cancelled as duo was a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Looking at traveling to the US west coast later in the year and am currently deciding weather to go BA or EI ?

BA SFO is on their A380 and the return from LAX is on their A350 or 773 depending on time of day I chose.

Pre clearance is obviously an advantage flying direct but its almost a couple of hundred cheaper with BA but with minimum 2.5 to 3 hours layover in LHR both times.

Would the a330 2-4-2 still be the better option for a +10h flight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin is slot controlled (albeit not slot constrained to any great extent).

There was money on the table for DUB-LDY from a UK regional connectivity scheme, but that was some time ago and I don't know if it is still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Several hours of my time and substantial hassle (and risk of missing connections, lost luggage etc) isn't worth a couple of hundred euro imho, but your mileage may vary. It's presumably only a small enough fraction of the total trip cost.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Agreed, direct is always better, less hassle, pre clearance, less chance for things to screw up.

A330-300 is much nicer than 777, especially if you get one BA has found a way to go 3+4+3 in

Be sure you are using the multicity option with Aer Lingus to ensure you get the cheapest deal and not the sum of two singles which will be ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Really depends on how you value your time and whether you're flying business or economy. If business I'd go the long way. If economy, you may be in a 2-4-2 A330 for 9 hours but going the other way you have bus shuttles, airport waiting areas extra security screening, long walks, possible delays and US entry screening. I would think an A330 for 9 hours is pretty easy compared to the latter.

Yeah I'll most likely go with EI. If anything goes wrong I feel it would be easier to handle.

Flying home from LAS via SEA so I'm actually hoping the flight will be quite enough. Down as the -200 so it'll be either DUO or DAA taking me home.

Regarding BA 773 I'm not sure if they kept them 9 abreast or made them 10 as I thought LHR fleet were 9 and LGW were 10. Recent YouTube videos show them as 9. Makes F all difference to me anyways I'd probably still take the A350 option.

Funny enough though with the connecting flight back to Dublin from LHR with EI in the evening its showing as been operated by the LR. Thought they only did the short hops early in the day ?

I actually at first put in the flights as two separate one way searches and nearly as conniption as I never knew multi city was even a thing 😅

BA was worse again. Airlines really do screw you on 1 way tickets 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

In my experience AA don't screw you on the multi-city flights. Have you looked at AA options from DUB with connections to/from the west coast? Might be a worthwhile search. Otherwise an inexpensive EI ticket (with pre-clearance) into and back from an AA hub; and separate AA or B6 tickets to/from California could be cost-effective.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I would recommend booking on the A350 if possible.

I travelled on one recently, far nicer experience than the outbound flight on an older B777. (Empty seat beside was certainly a factor)

I felt less drained after the A360 flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The original Cork - Dublin flights stopped when the M8 was opened. However, just before the pandemic they were thinking of bringing back Cork - Dublin flights to feed connections. Hopefully they do do it again, I think it could work. Me, and others included, pay a lot extra to fly from Cork. I'd pay a good €200 more for the outright convenience of connecting through Amsterdam from Cork rather than the pain of having to drag myself up to Dublin - either by car or bus.

So long as the connections are easy in Dublin and not just "an Irish solution" then it would work nicely I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can hear the environmental complaints already if ORK-DUB restarts. Even though a reasonable proportion of the passengers would actually be reducing their impact by connecting on a prop to a shorter flight rather than taking a jet to a longer flight!

That said, in the absence of a trolley service; the Cork trains are actually quite subpar currently - you need to make sure to bring enough drinks onboard for the guts of 3h of being dried out by the aircon/heating; and unless you pay for Citygold - which is about what I'd expect base fares on a flight would be at ~€48 for the decent times - you could be standing for some of the trip too. And the ride quality of the Mk4s is abysmal; whereas the 22ks on the off-peak services have a crap Premier class instead of Citygold.

The spectre of people flying rather than taking the train/bus might actually force funding for more and better train services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EI-NSB on approach to Dublin now as EIN2931 from NQY.

Advertisement