Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

Leinster winning the Champions Cup with Byrne at 10 would be a materially good thing for Ireland going into the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The team is surprising for me. Disappointing not to see Deegan or Milne. But, that's how it goes.

Milne was never going to be picked ahead of a healthy Porter or Healy here, and who would you have omitted to include Deegan?

It's just a reality of it with the Leinster backrow. We can only select so many.

I'd have Conan on the bench and Deegan starting. But you're right, too much talent in the back row. It's tough to pick from all of them.

The talk of HB to Ulster is reasonable. But what about Tector? If he went now, he'd be most likely in the matchday squad. He'd push past Burns fairly quickly. I'm expecting Connacht to offer him a deal like they did with Illo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd said it before that Ross Byrne making Ireland squads has the knock-on benefit of freeing up gametime for Harry and/or Frawley, and Harry in particular has performed well at 10 over the past couple of months. Ross would have been starting all those games otherwise.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We in no way know enough about Tector to say he'd move past Burns ever never mind quickly. He has about 60 mins of professional rugby behind him

True enough! But, I believe he makes the squad regardless. Madigan is, and has been done. Burns, while decent, does not set a very high bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I dont see how that is true as Tector has played so little pro rugby its impossible and also ridiculous to try claim that he is X or Y. Burns is a 10 year pro with over 200 pro appearances including around 10 international caps. Thats quite a good level to be at

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd be somewhere between both levels.

Burns is a good but flawed outhalf with next to no backup. Based on Ulster decision making this season the backup 10 in the European Cup last 16 is Nathan Doak but thats a break glass in case of emergency option only. Its also worth noting that Burns is not a front line goal kicker so if Doak or Cooney were to leave his position would become very vulnerable very quickly.

There should be young outhalves thinking I can get the 22 shirt fairly easily.

I think someone like Tector could easily get 15+ Ulster caps (2 or 3 starts and the rest off the bench) next season. He definitely won't get that at Leinster imo.

• Advertisement

Right. Tector may not surpass HB at Leinster. He's assured of minutes at Ulster, imo. Madigan is done. Flannery was a bust. There's little competition in Ulster.

I'm surprised that Flannery didn't play much. I reckoned he was good enough to push into the 23. Apparently he's back down to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You keep putting out absolutes which is ridiculous. "Madigan is done. Flannery is bust." thats just wrong and unfair as well. Tector isnt assured of minutes in Ulster. No reason for him to leave especially as he is only going into his second year of academy next season and Sexton is finished after world cup he will get loads of game time next season.

Well, how did Flannery do? Not well! How bout Madigan? Why would you think that Tector wouldn't get playing time at Ulster? He's getting into squads at Leinster. They may be absolutes, doesn't mean they're wrong. If Flannery or Madigan were playing every week, I would be wrong. Holding pads and making up #'s is what they're doing.

I'm guessing any new 10 introduced into Ulster would do better. Even a 20 year old Leinster academy player.

You're right! Burns has done well. But, what's behind him? There's no reason to say that Tector wouldn't do well in Belfast. He's learning and already has been in matchday squads. I base this on the amount of squads Madigan and Flannery have been in.

With Ulster in town it would be a good idea to keep McKee under lock and Key so the wildlings don't tempt him back home! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Weather tomorrow is supposed to be crap. Rain expected. When Leinster played in Belfast earlier this season they handled the wind and rain far better than Ulster so that's something to hold on to. But you'd be a bit concerned all the same if poor conditions stop Leinster from playing expansively. It's their major strength and puts them above most sides in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The New Zealand Herald is reporting that Leinster made an offer to Blues Head Coach Leon MacDonald, but he appears to be joining the New Zealand back room team instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I personally wouldn’t want Tector. Stiff, game manager vibes. Give me Harry Byrne if its a choice. He is so talented and maybe the injury problems resolve themselves.

The bar is quite high for young players to get time but i’m still surprised flannery didn’t get more. The talent is obvious but he is quite raw. I’d like to see him play 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

I’m sure the feeling is mutual, if you’re writing off an u20 grand slam winner without giving him a chance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

There’s a big nice gray area between ‘writing off’ and ‘i’d want that guy as my second OH’. Are you giving me tector with no expectation for playing time? Sure, why not.

We’d ideally sign another OH at same time as back up.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any of you want to do a match thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Lots of players will win u20 grand slams and lots of them won’t play pro rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Even with Leinsters superior pack, the weather will suits Ulsters style far more than Leinster. Think it will be closer than bookies are predicting.

Fairly nice performance in atrocious conditions. The pack played well. Everyone of them did the business. Not good conditions for open rugby and it was a game that reminded me of Ireland when Schmidt was the coach. Still a short turnaround for the Tigers.

Any reports on what the Leinster A side that faced London Irish on Friday was, and how they fared?

Can tell from AIL match reports that guys like Tadgh McElroy, Temi Lasisi, Alex Soroka, Max O’Reilly, etc seemed to feature, but would appear Jack Boyle and Chris Cosgrave didn’t. Boyle scored two tries again for UCD when they won the Colours Match.

It was good to see Furlong playing well. He has gotten minutes under his belt and he should be going well.

Leinster really varied the throw in's to the l/o. Conan and Baird were used a lot. Usually, Molony is a key lad in this area. A good tactic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be fair, I don't think either of those statements is a massive reach.

Tector would have a better shot in Ulster for sure, but I can't imagine they are that interested in him either. If anyone comes sniffing around Leinster though I suspect they'll let Tector go a long way before they would let Prendergast go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Have Leinster announced whether Hanan, Soraka, and O'Reilly will be staying next year when they graduate from the academy?

Advertisement