Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The "first Refusal" is not in place yet as this needs to be legislated and there is no time line for it, more BS from the government. You can add all you want to the asking price the council are not going to buy, from the end of the article

"The Irish Independent reported on Friday, however, that some councils cannot afford to buy houses where tenants have been served notices to quit, as landlords are asking for too much money."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Supposedly you have to sell to them at a price that an "independent" valuer decides.

I dont see that making it through the wash. Surely totally illegal.

Didnt stop them dictating how much you could rent it for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I will hire an "independent" valuer, know a lad with the new estate agent qualifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

My point is it make sense because the safety nets are just joke pretend measures which will not have a significant impact. They are a PR measure and their intention is not to help those being evicted. I know that may sound cynical but look at the government’s record going back decades as evidence for their future intent.

Assuming its you who is the one who is allowed to pick the "independent" valuer :)

• Advertisement

Seems like I am not the only one who thought of that.

I'm the property owner, will get the "independent valuation" before I decide to sell, so it becomes the reason I am selling, so either meet the price or back away.

If that doesn't work, I'll move back in for a week or two, before deciding I don't like the place and selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Not a single word of this post has anything to do with me. So I can only assume you are mixing me up with another poster. Be on your way, best of luck in your travels

The words of Mark Twain springs to mind

In a lot of situation the Banks will provide an "independent" valuer if you are getting a mortgage etc. They are just the local estate agents who has signed up with the Bank so it is not hard to figure out who looks after who if you walk around the local village.

Nobody would be able to making a living, currently, by just going around ireland carrying out valuations so thats why estate agents do it because they can also add value with knowledge of local area for valuations and properties sold etc

The main point though is that you shouldnt be forced ti get your place valued for a sale to one buyer. In all sales the market needs to be tested to find the price at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Just looking at an RTE article today.

Ryan: "If you are at risk of eviction you have the right of first refusal to be able to purchase a property and we will extend from this weekend, 1 April, the tenant-in-situ scheme, so that those households in receipt of those supports can avail of that option," he said.

"And for someone who isn't in those circumstances we will get the local authorities or the approved housing body to be able to purchase the property and rent that back to the tenant as a cost rental model."

Does anyone else get the impression that the Government are a bit out of touch on this issue? The emphasis seems to be keeping people in their homes rather than have the burden of having move to alternative accommodation.

Obviously, being able to stay where you are is fantastic, but isn't the real problem not that you might have to move but rather that there may not be anywhere to move to?

What the government seems to be putting together is a Potemkin Village: fantastic for the few who benefit but failing the majority who are at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's absolutely true that the timing of this is purely political. It's obvious. They didn't want the homeless numbers increase to coincide with next year's local elections.

And you're best to ignore BA and his refusal to post honestly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The valuations based on what I have seen are suspect. So it is only a guideline.

So if someone comes in and says you have to sell your house at 200k, you can tell them to f off and put on market at 300k....depending on the estate agent as well they might undervalue it...to get footfall and start a bidding war

Not sure how this would be captured in a valuation. At the end of the day a house is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if someone wants to guarantee the house is sold to them then they will have to pay a premium for that

So last house I bought, I rang up the agent and asked for the price to take off market, they gave me a price of A and I took it away and ended up paying it because

A. I didn't want to spend weeks back and forth in bidding war

B. At the end of the bidding war I might actually pay more for the property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think the main problem is that this measure probably will only help a few people: renters looking to buy and in a position to do so. However it is likely that those in that position will not want to restrict themselves to the place they are currently renting. They will want to get the best value they can on the open market.

It is another Potemkin Village by the Government. Something that seems good on the surface but upon closer examination lacks substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Solutions only have to be as complicated as you want to make them. They can also be kept simple - 20% stamp duty charged on all property, Exemption to anyone buying a property they have been a tenant in for longer than a year. Clawback if subsequently sold or rented out within 10 year period

Simples

20% stamp duty would kill the property market. You'd never get the chance to buy the property because the landlord won't move it on.

Ridiculous, You would shut down the market overnight for people trying to buy

Then in a weeks time we would have all the parties on crowing about its not fair that people have to rent their entire life and can't buy their forever home.

Last home ownership ratio had Ireland at nearly 70%. Are we just going to screw all those people to try stop landlords selling up?

The best way to resolve the issue is to create an environment for landlords in Ireland, so they can evict non paying tenants etc. Not put a system in place that means it is too much of a risk for a landlord to stay in the business.

Not sure how people are still trying to screw landlords in all this, it has been clear for years the issues are with the current regulations mean a LL can be totally screwed with no comeback. Now the best people can come up with is screw them even more.

Unless we have a mass emigration event from Ireland there is going to be a shortage of accommodation for years going forward. We are not going to build our way out of this crises in the medium term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Usually when someone is selling a house they put it on the market at a price that competitive with other houses on the market in the area, usually lower if they want to sell quickly or start a bidding war, higher if they are prepared to wait but that is the sellers choice. I know when I was selling it was around the asking price for property in the area, the worse thing was having to give the tenants notice to leave even though it was coming to the end of the contract, this was 2019 when things were bad but not as bad as now. I would have sold the place to the LA if the people renting could have stayed but firstly they were offering a lower price than I would get on the open market and secondly they weren't interested. The tenants were HAP tenants at the time. I don't mind the buying in situ scheme but only if the LA's or tenants are open to some negotiating and not well this is what we are giving and you have to accept. They will be told to F off if that's the case.

Either they are out of touch or they are doing it willfully. Then main issue as you have said is the lack of availability or options of places for people to move to that is the issue and this is the fear that those renters have and landlords. As I said above I had to give tenants notice that I wasn't renewing the lease as I needed to sell and thankfully they found a better more suitable place to rent within the few months I had given them, I'm not sure they would happen now and then I would be left with headache of do I let them stay till they find a place or do I insist they leave?

Of course we are but we need to start building apartments and not houses. We don't have the infrastructure for house. All planning now in major cities should be converted to apartments if possible and build high quality apartments as much as possible. In 3-4 years if the issue is better we can start to look at houses then. Plus connecting those houses with trains/trams.

Trying to build our way out of a shortage with 3-4 bedroom houses and a nice garden will never happen

• Advertisement

If you own a property you should never be forced to sell it to anyone, you own that property.

its seems some people want the government to step in and force people to sell their houses to others!

A high quality apartment in a city would probably cost at least half a million to purchase, there are dumps now that are not much cheaper. So, that will solve nothing. The honest reality is things will likely get worse until there is an economic crash and mass emigration from the country.

In the same space you can get more units and it costs less to connect them as we don’t have city sprawl like houses so yes it does solve lots of issues

also more supply will reduce prices. Not sure why anyone thinks an economic crash is the best we can hope for

Simply because the government have shown no ability or even interest in solving the housing crisis. Maybe there will soon be a skilled motivated government that will sort things out but I won’t hold my breath. In fairness, is there anyone not laughing at this safety net joke the government are spouting.

No idea how you can say the government have shown no ability or interest. Billions are been poured at the moment into building houses.

We are building more houses than maybe ever, maybe in Celtic Tiger but would need to check the numbers. The problem is we have a backlog.

"skilled motivated government"? who is that?

The eviction ban was a short term ban because of covid. It was always going to end. I have no idea what a safety net is about but it won't work and it shouldn't. Instead of pushing Landlords out of the market the government needs to get new landlords.

You’re not entitled to someone else’s private property.

And how is the market going to be with the Councils buying with open chequebooks. You can argue about the percentage. I gave an extreme example to explain the idea, but in principle it would work.

What is the sense in the Councils complaining that they don't have the money to buy property, all the while inflating that same property artificially the whole time.

I mean, we are constantly being told that all the landlords want to flee because of the regulations.....so surely they'll still want to sell up. They just won't be able to hold the LA's to ransom..........unless of course you want them to be able to do that?

Do you like driving on roads? Flying to foreign countries?

All facilitated by property taken unilaterally from its owners.

Nobody has suggested what your over-dramatics are suggesting btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE and Virgin Media leading with foreign news today with no bearing for anyone in Ireland (Trump) ahead of the eviction ban which comes into effect in 3 hours.

• Advertisement

Well lets look at DCC for example, over 40m in arrears and they have just extended the ban. The 40m could be used to build houses/repair houses so lots with yet its just money that is wasted now and will never be recovered. How do they plan to resolve? well give another 9 months of free rent

Maybe we should get the councils to start collecting rents so they can reinvest. DCC is replicated across the entire country

In terms of LL leaving, yes they are leaving because of regulations. The LL will have to pay circa 50% on all rent, then have to deal with all repairs etc. If they try to do anything with their own house they have to deal with all sorts of legal threats etc. The PTB gives them no support at all and the media paint them as the devil. Any change in regulations in the last 10 years are against the LL and as thousands leave the market are you trying to suggest they are not?

If they sell up why would they give away the property for under market value? they should sell at the right price for them. Hold the local authority to ransom? well is that not the tenants running up 40m in arrears?

If the best you can come up with is another tax against LL then I just dont know what is wrong with people

Maybe instead of painting the LL as the devil we should go after the 40m+ owed in rents and all the other rent owed to CC all over Ireland???what you think???

Advertisement