Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

That's the f****** stuff 🔥 can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Thought they might go with forde at 12 to give Hawkshaw some consistency at 10. Excited to see Bundee back though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

This is not knock-out rugby for us. Cardiff and Glasgow games are

Whatever team we put, it's Treviso AWAY, Cardiff (likely) AWAY, then Toulon AWAY

I was the first one to favour Challenge Cup to League this autumn, but we have screw** Newcastle game and then the home road to Dublin. The overall competition is over.

And we still could have gone very competitive resting only 3 guys I quoted.

if we face Cardiff with Ralston 13, who haven't played for 3 months, you will all see the difference. So fingers crossed Farrell stays fit in this game

I know he's racked up a lot of minutes this year overall, but he's also been sitting on his hands for the whole 6N period. He played last weekend, and his last game before that was March 4th.

There are plenty of players in the wider Irish rugby universe who are being leaned on even more heavily. There's no reason to suggest he isn't capable of playing this game as well as being healthy for Cardiff, and Connacht's sports scientists and physios are specifically entrusted with making those sort of judgment calls.

What's the point of panicking about trying to get into the European Cup if you're not even going to try to win the Challenge Cup? The fixture list you cite isn't easy, but it certainly doesn't get any easier at the next level up.

I actually think the message you send to the squad by resting first choice players for games like this is more deleterious to your chances against Cardiff than whatever injuries or niggles you pick up in a game like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Delighted to see forde and jennings in the 23, two special looking players and wholly deserve to be in there on form. Forde potentially unlucky not to keep the 12 jersey but Bundee is still our go to for these games. Friend has the potential to finish his term with two good playoff runs, lets hope it deliver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Exactly.

Momentum is key.

Suppose we win, carry the form to overcome Cardiff and then there's a potential home game against Sale? Imagine the atmosphere for that.

The point is Farrell has still way more chance to get a hit playing a competitive away game than "just" training". So no he should have been kept in Ireland. He's played enough in the Connacht team for the last months to know the system, get momentum, and sit out this week (contrary to Aki/Hansen who will benefit from having our combos in real-speed, shaking out Irish ones)

No idea what N.Murray does in this game either, if lost it's Fifita/Murphy/Dowling/young bro for Cardiff/Glasgow, huge loss

And the point about being frightened by Challenge whereas targetting Chanmpions Cup is not valid for me.

We want Champions Cup to win home amazing games and maybe get one day 1 or 2 points added to go through. Not hoping much more from away games. Treviso, Toulon or Sarries, away, we're not that level still.

Qualify for pool-games and offer the public some spectacle, to have fidelity in attendance and fill the 12 K Sportsground on middle-term is what matters IMO

Yeah; he's also a healthy and robust rugby player in the prime of his career, who isn't carrying any sort of injury as far we're aware. Players could get hurt virtually every time they take the field; you can't wrap them in cotton wool, and they wouldn't want you to either.

If they play well and get a result in Treviso it's a way to build momentum and roll on into the next couple of weeks, rather than overly mothering them.

Good luck for t'morrow but if we win, same and even acuter headache for next game only 7 days before Cardiff home (after what would be Cardiff away by a coincidence)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

connachta, you have made your point ad infinitum. Let it go. Everyone understands your point and maybe some agree and more likely some others don't. Stop killing this thread. Your point has been made

Ok I'm done no issue. 🙂

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

surely as a connacht fan a challenge cup semi final spot (where anything can happen) is a more attractive proposition than a pool, exit in the champions cup?

after this weekend, should Connacht win, the only teams that i think would be heavy favorites against them would be glasgow and toulon. All the rest are beatable on any day. Racing have shown they arent interested by their selection away to Lions. Sale should beat cardiff which would mean a home QF against sale in Galway. From there anything can happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would definitely prefer a good cup run this year than concentrating on just qualifying for a competition next year. Challenge cup is there to be won and not going for it would be a waste, surely supporters would want to win something now rather than (not that’s it an either or situation) doing something for next season.

About your ? For log-term attandence I don't think so

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BleedGreen

Ralston's out with long term injury, expected later in April

You send a question. I think on middle-term focusing on pool Champions-Cup rugby is better for Connacht than taking too much risks in one unlikely Challenge knock-out rugby win.

But it's contestable, matter of opinion

Porchy is one I really hope for to stay fit too, as he's above back-ups.

On other subject Joyce won't play again with Bristol but it's elbow not ACL, he should be back 100% fit this summer

I will neither agree or disagree with you on your comments connachta. Neither am I trying to moderate this thread but the concept of moderation is just to give everyone a chance to exchange their opinions without overloading the thread. Indeed I have nothing against the likes of EAW who made some interesting points but just so flooded the thread with these opinions that it became unbearable for other users. And you are heading in the exact same direction

• Advertisement

interesting game tonight Bristol vs Clermont in the challenge cup. Clermont being 10th in the French league and Bristol struggling in the premiership it suggests that both these teams will be taking this competition seriously as a means of qualifying for championship rugby next year. So challenge cup will be no walk in the park this year. if a racing92 game in Paris vs Connacht I am booking my tickets. what a fantastic stadium

I'll have the same opinion next week, even acuter closer to URC deciders, but someone said my point was made, and I've said ok just earlier, you're harsh on me here

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted to see Hawkshaw at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Good start. Porch is going very, very well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

Looking a bit ragged in defense so far. Treviso making a lot of breaks. Probably lucky to be only 2 behind considering we scored from the only 2 attacks we have had so far

There is surely no other team in rugby who give up a lead with as little struggle as we do

That Rhino Smith is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

The defense which was pretty decent last weekend has been very poor today.

Need to get into half time without any more points conceeded

Some absolutely f'xxxxn pathetic defending the last 20 minutes

• Advertisement

A lovely gutless away showing when the pressure is on as per usual

Advertisement