Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Where is he in the depth chart if loughman and kilcoyne are fit, and can they afford to pay him how much he would want at that spot?

I think its obvious from the ryan situation that JvG had to do some picking and choosing. The ryan decision was bad. The Cronin one… i dunno. Id pick loughman.

I don't think he did know he was going to be the Manager. Seems to me like Munster did an extensive search and then settled for Rowntree. That or Rowntree didn't want it unless there was absolutely no one else available.

Surprised re Crowley but less surprised given it's deja vu. Carbery has gone from second choice for Ireland to second choice for province in a very short space of time. Tinfoil hat time - IRFU pushing Munster to start Crowley for the remainder of the season (I don't personally believe this but the **** was there to be stirred).

Backs against the wall, just where Munster are at their most dangerous - tomorrow should be a cracker, hoping for an away win!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can't really think of any egregious cases of the IRFU meddling in selection for Euro games to be fair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Completely agree with this, and it was the same across the entire front-row.

Archer, Scannell and Killer fit the profile of our senior guys.

Ryan, O’Byrne and Cronin all fit the profile of senior guys who were likely on a decent wedge, with a wage bill that needed to be cut.

Barron, Loughman and Salanoa the next guys up to replace them, all with a good age profile.

And Buckley, Wycherley and Knox the young guys coming up.

That’s loosely what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If the previous coach had actually invested in Salanoa and Knox instead of backing Stephen Archer literally every week, Munster would have less of a problem in the front row. Rowntree is doing this now, to be fair to him. But it should have been done years ago. It's been clear for a long time that Munster aren't going to progress with Archer at TH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

totally. and if either of knox/salanoa had gotten their wings in a few games then who cares. theyd have learned a lot more than they did just playing lower level games or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

Very difficult to give game time to injured players

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MildlyPinterested

Riveting stuff for the occasional visitor to read as usual. The leinster brains trust think James Cronin is world class since he’s no longer in Ireland and there are problems with selection, boo Van Grann and on and on and on. Sinfully dull and predictable. Weak as piss moderation continues without abandon to facilitate as well of course.

Mod: If you have an issue with a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Cronin was a penalty machine and that was 1 of JVG's red flags, he's been gone a few years so it's not Rowntree who had the final say in letting him go.

Also Salanoa was injured for a lot of the last 2 years, has come on massively this season but was taken to the cleaners last week,hopefully he'll learn from that and bounce back today.

• Advertisement

Would love to see a big performance from RG today.

Difficult to expect him to be firing on all cylinders after such a long time out, but he could be huge for us on the run in and into next season if he can get close to it. Hopefully he gets a good injury-free run now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

While I would usually go in for a South African team Vs Leinster (Munster are a renowned open rugby team) I don’t think it’s the case today. Munster are building to greater things and a win in Durban would cement their place as a European Gods.

The Sharks draw from that traditional powerhouse of South African rugby in Pietermaritzburg, Hilton College the alma mater of of Bobby Skinstadt and Gary Teichman however I don’t see anyone from Hilton in the team today. Therefore I have no horse in the race.

I don’t see the stars aligning for Munster today with Siya in the team however I have an inkling Crowley could be in for a long day. It’s an upgrade from Joey he’s certainly more robust and will need to be with Etzebeth barrelling down his channel every time he defends.

With McNamara on board the Sharks will have the inside information on how Munster will approach the match but I see the weather 24 degrees in Durban and humidity will play a role. Rowntree has had them warm weather training all week which is a good start it’s whether Munster can keep pace with the likes of Koch and Mapimpi in the beating Durban sun.

This will be a fascinating encounter and I’m hoping for an Irish win. And of course the last word goes to my man the great of Munster rugby Pete O’Mahony. A product of a Leinster coach in Pres who has been targeted by certain Leinster elements for it. We look to you to bring the team forward when so many are ready to pull you down and malign you with a cup of poison. Keep your head high and your eyes on the prize. Munster to win.

Post edited by Bobb Sapp on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd take a loss today for a win in the URC down there so with that in mind I'd love to see RG back to his best for those games and the knockout games in the URC

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munster did enough losing already this season. Win here and we play Toulouse again (probably) those games have been super close recently and Munster are better now than we were then... I want us to get to a European semi final and challenge Leinster in the Aviva

I get it, it's about HEC rugby next year, however, this is now and we should be worrying about what's directly in front not what might happen, if the coaches are focused on next seasons competition that will feed into the team and we'll see a humping today.

McNamara has as much inside knowledge of this Munster team as any of the Sharks coaches do, so that's not even relevant, RG would have a lot more on what makes Eztebeth and Siya tick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not confident at all about today.

Beirne is as big a loss as we could possibly have. RG might compensate but its hard to see him having the 60 minute impact we need.

“A good deal of size on the Sharks bench, Carlu Sadie carrying most of it”.

😂

That’s a super try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Acres of space out there!

Another great assist from Coombes too, for those who think he’s just a bosh merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Lovely hands from Coombes to put it in Daly's breadbasket, he finished that well going against the grain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Not often you see RG get bowled over like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,143 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ridiculous double step from Mapimpi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

yes, but still a lucky score.... baarely a touchdown..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Lovely by Mapimpi. Coombes had to do better in buildup. A bit too easy for Kok to hand him off.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lucky? Such an odd post.

I can always appreciate an ankle-breaking step.

• Advertisement

Sharks lineout looking a little shaky. Think we can get after them there.

Breakdown and scrum under pressure tho.

Advertisement