Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh this is brilliant. The goalposts haven't just shifted, they've gone into orbit.

Having being caught out on your assertion that Green TDs got elected on SF transfers, you are now putting down the election of Green TDs to the incompetence of Sinn Fein when it came to candidate selection, sneakily dressed up as the one situation where FG messed up candidate selection in favour of the Greens.

I posted the facts earlier. Three of the twelve Green TDs needed zero transfers from Sinn Fein, of the others, only one - Cathasaigh in Waterford - could arguably have been elected because of Sinn Fein, and that was an indirect effect from the transfer of transfers.

In all other cases, large amounts of transfers from FG and FF favoured the Greens. I never noticed it at the time, but I'm sure the Green strategists did, which explains why they didn't for a minute even consider coalition with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I posted about Spoofers. Check it.

And I believe we have seen your posting style before. Carry on.

But above all things, don't answer the question I posted. Either of ye. God forbid ye would answer a direct question. 😂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Did you read it? All I seen was Greta mentioned multiple times and moved on. I said it already but the obsession over her is really strange and disgusting to be honest

i had expected the post would be similar quality to what was already provided, utter rubbish with connection to reality, you have confirmed as much so no point reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There may be an Ireland Thinks/Sindo poll due on Sunday. The March poll had the SocDems on 9%. It will be interesting to see if that is sustained. It typically underestimates FF support compared to pollsters using face to face polling like B&A and Ipsos.

For reference, the last %s were:

SF 29% - FG 21% - FF 19% - SocDems 9% - Greens 4% - Labour 3%.

It will be interesting to see if the Greens take a hit over the eviction ban and also the way that Neasa Hourigan was treated. FF, it seems, couldn't really give a damn about opinion polls. If it is worse than expected, there will be seas of electrons wasted by FFG spokespeople on Social Media trying to downplay it. It is funny the way that some Labourites have tried to reinvent themselves as Green only to have the Greens also decline in the opinion polls.

Regards...jmcc

You posted a link. Then you called yourself a spoofer.

Now you are trying to make cryptic statements about "posting style". If you just copy and paste links don't be surprised if nobody responds.

• Advertisement

The Dail is in recess until April 18th. It is not like anything important is happening until then. Despite it being business as usual for the Dail, the optics for FFG, at the start of a period where homelessness will increase due to the decision taken by FFG are bad.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/parliamentaryBusiness/other/2022-07-14_provisional-calendar-of-dail-sittings_en.pdf

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its not just housing, the health crisis is still ongoing too. There are just too many government caused crises going on at once for people to really focus on them all fully.

"Irish hospitals saw record levels of overcrowding in March, with almost 450 children being treated on trolleys this month.

Data from the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO) saw 12,943 patients, including 447 children, treated on trolleys or chairs this month.

This figure is up from 11,001 people on trolleys in March 2022 and 4,126 in the same month in 2021.

"This has been the worst March for overcrowding since the INMO began counting trolleys in 2006," said INMO general secretary Phil Ní Sheaghdha."

For a country as wealthy as Ireland to have 5000 Irish children homeless, and 450 Irish children being treated on trolleys (after extensive waiting to be seen), is an absolutely horrendous result of government policy.

Overcrowding has become a year round crisis now. A legacy of FFG inaction. How many times must health professionals cry for help before there is real action?

INMO press release today

Runaway hospital overcrowding is becoming new normal (inmo.ie)

“There hasn’t been a day in the last two weeks where trolley numbers have dropped below 545. It is clear to our union that ridiculously high trolley figures have become the new normal.

“The INMO has long been raising our concerns about the devastating impact this level of overcrowding is having on nurses and their patients with all levels of HSE management. It is clear that the current approach to tackling hospital overcrowding is not working.

“The HSE and Department of Health need to stop treating runaway hospital overcrowding as a surprise, this level of overcrowding was and is entirely predictable. Post bank holiday backlogs are not new, they happen each time and it is clear that many hospitals are not preparing properly.

“Our members have made it clear they cannot continue to work in these conditions year-round with absolutely zero reprieve. Real, tangible action must be taken to radically reduce hospital overcrowding.

And of course the government missed the waiting lists targets by a wide margin last year despite a desperate attempt to cook the books. Does any FFG "plan" even remotely work?

Government on course to 'significantly miss' waiting list reduction targets - IHCA (breakingnews.ie)

Government on course to 'significantly miss' waiting list reduction targets - IHCA

The Irish Hospital Consultants Association (IHCA) has expressed "dismay that the Government is on course to miss waiting list reduction targets for 2022 by a significant margin".

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly launched the €350 million Waiting List Action Plan for 2022 in February, which committed to reducing active waiting lists for acute scheduled care by 18 per cent (more than 132,00) by the end of this year.

However, figures show that by the end of November the numbers of those waiting for treatment will have only dropped by 1.6 per cent (fewer than 11,500).

-------------

Another epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Excellent post.

Tomorrow the ‘actions’ of this government’ May result in many families becoming homeless. I hope when the next election comes around that everyone remembers what ‘parties’ have been in power since the foundation of the State.

• Advertisement

Labour must be in DEEP trouble. The SD’s elected a new leader & their % doubled. But for Labour their % has either stagnated or dropped.

I was a Labour supporter all my life, I’m now an OAP, but after the way their party treated their core support in the last 10/15 years, I’ll never give them a vote ever again. They are a disgrace to the meaning of the word Labour.

Out of interest who will you vote for next election if not Labour?

It looks like there is little difference now between FF and FG and they would have been happy to have the Greens take the traditional half-party position of Labour. The problem for FF and FG is that the Greens are losing support too quickly despite FF and FG bouncing around their GE results in terms of support. FF and FG would gladly go back to the old 2.5 party model as would Labour but between 2011 and 2023, the political landscape changed. The support for the Greens has collapsed and the government now seems dependent on the support of Independents. The problem for Labour was that it was taken over by Stickies pension tourists who only ever wanted a ministerial salary and a pension. The Greens tend to be more single-minded and they managed to deal with an attempted takeover in the way that Labour didn't.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Just a quick question you have said a few times before on here you are a journalist and a member of the NUJ.

Any chance they could run a campaign in April for paragraphs?

SD/ Independent ( depending on which independent is running). Cathal Berry is one of my local TD’s but I doubt I’ll vote for him again.

Another record broken by FFG

Number of homeless single adults in State hits record high – The Irish Times

Number of homeless single adults in State hits record high

A slight fall in homelessness last month shows the eviction ban “was working”, homelessness charities said on Friday, amid warnings the State was about to “enter a new phase of homelessness” as the ban is lifted from Saturday.

The latest data published by the Department of Housing shows the number of people accessing emergency accommodation in the State fell slightly in February to 11,742 – a drop of 12 individuals from the previous month – but numbers continue to increase in Dublin.

The figures, published on Friday, also show a new high in the number of homeless, single adults of which there were 5,736 – the biggest number since current records began in 2014.

During the week of February 20th-26th there were 8,369 adults and 3,373 children in emergency accommodation. Among these were 1,599 families of which 876 (53 per cent) were headed by lone parents.

These numbers represent a 23 per cent increase in the total number of homeless in a year – from 9,492 in February 2022. The number of families in homelessness has risen by 35.5 per cent in a year – from 1,180, while the number of single adults has gone up by 17 per cent, from 4,907.

Roughan MacNamara, head of communications with Focus Ireland which leads the NGO response to family homelessness, described the Government’s pressing ahead with lifting the ban as “heartless” and the “failure to listen” to homelessness organisations on the issue as “deeply alarming”.

RTE has a slightly more positive spin with its headline:

It might be have been a sarcastic headline but it is, at a glance, favourable for FFG despite the decrease being just 12 people in a month.

Regards...jmcc

The effects of the ending of the evictions ban could be mixed. FFG support will probably take a hit but, surprisingly, Labour might benefit slightly along with the SocDems. The SocDems support is firmly concentrated in what is "Generation Rent" and in Holly Cairns, that demographic has a very good spokesperson. There was always a soft/floating vote that drifted between FF and Labour. Some of that vote will be in play. The younger part of it may be moving to the SocDems but some may move back to Labour if it drops the Identity Politics stuff and concentrates on real issues that affect voters (Homelessness and Health, obviously). At the moment, there seems to be two Labour parties. The first is the genuine Labour that cares about workers and real issues (possibly the Local Government element). The second is a more Middle Class Labour that aspires to be the equivalent of the British Labour party but would support Fine Gael in heartbeat if it would have them (the Oireachtas element). Ever since FF and Martin Cullen ended the dual mandate, it has caused a split for a lot of parties by making the natural progression from Council to Dail more difficult.

If the rise of the SocDems is sustained, then FFG have a problem on the same scale that FF and FG had with the emergence of the PDs in the 1980s. The PDs, while being Provisional Fianna Fail, conveniently found that income tax had become a major election issue. 'Many of those who voted PD were being hit with the highest rates of income tax so a kind of demographic concentration of voters existed. The SocDems have a similar concentration in the age demographics most affected by the Homelessness/Rent issue. If FFG don't do something quickly, then it is going to see a drift to the SocDems among younger (non-landlord, of course) supporters and floating voters. Given the differing polling methodologies, the indications will be, along with the stabilisation of the SocDem around the 8% to 13% range, the consistent polling of both FF and FG below 20% across all pollsters.

@Ha Long Bay I don't ever recall saying that I was a member of the NUJ. You may have to take your campaign for real paragraphs to it directly.

Regards...jmcc

It seems like some people prefer quantity and not quality.

You do need to be careful or you might be hit with the “ignore list”. A devastating blow I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

• Advertisement

I know jmcc has gotten under your skin but there is no need to fill the thread with childlike nonsense. Try and actually engage, you might learn something and learn to think for yourself.

Ireland Thinks/Sindo poll:

SF 31% - FG 22% - FF 16% - SD 7% - Greens 4% - Labour 3%.- Independents 10%

Bad news for FF (-3%), FG gains 1%. SocDems down 2% to 7%. No change for Greens and Labour. The SocDems increase seems to be holding and was not completely due to a new leader bounce. The Labour party conference had no effect. This is another poll that has shown FF losing support. MoE +/- 3%.

No movements for the Independents. That's odd given the votes in the past week.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So, thats Government 42%, Sinn Féin 31. Right?

Ok thanks. Wake me up in Feb 2025.

42<58.

FF may be looking at a leadership change soon. FFG is now going to be reamed by the Independents on every major vote for fear of forcing a GE. And the evictions crisis hasn't even started to gain momentum yet.

Regards...jmcc

Personally I suspect a leadership change for FF is too late - the horse has already bolted.

I also suspect the party I once fully supported ( labour) is in the final throes of its demise. Bacik didn’t cover herself in glory with her speech at their conference. Bit downbeat at the 2% drop for the SD’s, but perhaps just a levelling off after their doubling on the new leadership?

I think the fallout from the eviction ban when it filters in to the polls will have a big impact on the coalition parties.

Time will tell.

FF needs to dump Martin quickly. He's become an anchor around their neck as they sink in the polls. The problem is that there is not much talent in FF. It would have been interesting to see Lisa Chambers as leader but Martin's incompetence lost a lot of seats for FF instead of gaining them in 2020. O'Callaghan might be a possible replacement but even his seat is in danger. Calleary has been absent from the headlines though given the recent Ditch reports, that could be a good thing.

Labour, had it been led by competent politicians, would have been hoovering up the support that FFG is losing. However, it is poorly led and that support is drifting to SF and the SocDems. The SocDems seem to be a very urban party and that could cause a lot of problems for FG (FF still has strong rural support). It is too early to know if there will be a kind of Spring Tide for the SocDems.

The next poll is a B&A poll and its methodology is generally FF friendly (face to face polling). If there's anything like that 4% drop from the last one then it will create a panic in FF as backbenchers start to worry about retaining their seats. FFG could fracture before the Summer recess. It is now dependent on Independents because some FFG backbenchers might decide to protect their seat rather than vote for the government.

Regards...jmcc

On your last paragraph: I’m from Kildare South. I gave Cathal Berry a vote in the last election. However, the whispering here is his continued support for the government in power will impact him getting re-elected- I confess I’m in that category.

I wonder how many more independents will have similar rumours hovering over their futures?

EDIT: You mention Calleary? He was on the week in politics recently - last Sunday I think. He gave me the impression of not wanting to be there given the topics they discussed. Very unimpressive!!

Also on Bacik: she (or her party ) certainly didn’t do themselves any favours with their midweek motion of ‘no confidence’.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

The Indenpendents may sell their votes dearly to gain things for their constituencies but some of them who voted with the government will be under threat in the next GE. A few may even be genepool FF or FG.

Calleary was taken out of the limelight with Golfgate but he had been slowly edging his way back. He may appeal to FFers but there's a lack of presence about him. Defending Martin is probably something that no FFer really wants to do at the moment because it will make them look bad as well.

Regards...jmcc

I have answered your question, now may I ask who you will vote for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Do people who would have more clued into politics than me think the Government will last for 2 more years?

Housing shortage and now the eviction ban being lifted seems to be a nightmare they just can't wake up from, I'd imagine it will only get worse when the actual evictions start happening.

Advertisement