Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So anyone who's been in social housing for years should be kicked out if an Irish family need a house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think this is finished now ...

🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Oh its quiet here.do you know why. The NGOs and charities are on break.

Gobshites!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the main point here is that the housing crisis and the refugee / asylum seeker issue are two completely different subjects - one hasn't caused the other.

If we had net immigration of zero and also zero refugees arriving, we would still have a huge housing crisis. The state failed to build anywhere near enough social housing in the last 20 years and private building was also miles short of where it should have been. We're probably talking a shortfall of hundreds of thousands of houses and apartments. But international agencies and other governments would still point out that this does not give Ireland any right to opt out of its international protection requirements. Making a total hames of your domestic policies would not give you some sort of a free pass on this - it should have been obvious to everyone in government 6, 7 or 8 years ago that there was a huge accommodation crisis coming down the tracks. Probably far more Irish people are being impacted by the government screwing up with housing, than anything to do with the numbers of migrants arriving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The housing crisis isnt caused by record immigration levels of Asylum seekers/refugees, agreed.

But the crisis is absolutley worsened by the numbers of these groups arriving.

And so to is the strain on public services.

If 1 million Asylum Seekers arrived tomorrow at Dublin Airport, would their arrival impact on the accomodation & infrastuctural needs of the residential population in Ireland or not?

If the answer is yes, then we acknowledge, in a reasoned way, that there are limits to the number of asylum seekers we can accept, if we are to maintain a fair standard of housing & public services for the resident population.

It is not racist or heartless to accept this fact.

We dont have legal obligations to accept Asylum Seekers under the Lisbon Treaty.

How many times does this have to be said.

I appreciate you are a well intended person and you want to be inclusive. But when the bath is overflowing, the only way to stop your house flooding is to turn off, or at least turn down, that tap.

Any other approach will ultimatley result in a flood and unnecessary damage will ensue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

The assylum concept needs to be retired and this so called international protection malarkey. Change needs to be accepted at an EU level. It’s simply a case of developing a migration policy mirroring the US Canada and Oz.

the logic of EU citizens moving here to live on welfare has to be challenged also. We are broke full stop - when we can’t borrow money the game is up. People are coming here either to work or to live on welfare - the former is covered by visa program the latter should be turfed out if not able to self sustain themselves - hardly rocket science.

The notion that there is a house building figure if achieved reaches utopia is a complete nonsense - we’ve always had a housing problem because there is no planning.

Building houses without comparative increases in school places, water treatment, accute hospital beds, GP access, transport links etc is what we’ve always done. We also have almost zero provision for pensions which is another time bomb. The real Irish economy outside of multi national income can’t even come close to covering our cost base.

Council house rent is I assume the lowest cost housing available has an arrears pool of something like 30% nationally. Why do we give people rent money only to spend large sums trying to get it back off them?

Affordable housing has a similar arrears trend line and again a costly recovering. We seem to build more without correcting deficiencies is the existing model. Both channels are managed by local authority departments which are completely dysfunctional in their service delivery and largely apathetic. Monstrous squandering of money here.

i don’t think our political system which is based on short term populism being able to do anything much other that bumble from crisis to crisis. We live in a bizarre reality where ……ist’s and ism’s displace rational thinking.

Post edited by riddles on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why do people need to pipe down? They can say what they want

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hilarious drivel. Lots of people that dont work for NGOs or charities are ok with current policy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Hilarious indeed. Fake altruism is disguised as charity. Obviously dont give a shite the living conditions or living standard people will have to endure in this country as a result including migrants. I dont believe this money tree is endless and when it does I think people will suffer here a lot.

These so called people you think hold a majority should be held accountable then. Money racket the lot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I give up, the idea that there’s a separate housing budget for social housing for Irish people while simultaneously providing unlimited accommodation for those arrivals turning up at Dublin airport is madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do you ever contribute anything but “smart “ one liners? And what’s with the stupid signature?

People in this thread seem to be angry with the government admitting refugees but not with their disastrous handling of the housing crisis. I would have thought failing to provide enough houses for the population over the last 10-15 years is a far bigger crime than admitting refugees (Ukrainian or otherwise) into the country. We had huge accommodation problems in early 2022 before a single Ukrainian arrived here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Can't we be both?

One has failed to increase supply, one has increased demand

• It's the Governments mishandling of everything that's the problem and it's come through the fore in immigration.

Every department is so far off on their brief it's amazing there has not been riots.

-Housing and rental accom supply is god awful

-Health System is choked

-Public Transport is shockingly poor

-Criminal Justice system is a basically a lenient free legal aid driven revolving door once your not committing a murder or more serious crimes

-The welfare system is criminally exploited by many

Well, there was a big protest in Dublin today about the lifting of the eviction ban, but from what I could see from media reports or photos of the protest banners, not a single person present was making a connection with the problem and linking it to immigration or refugees. The government alone was the target of their ire.

Also, increased demand for housing or accommodation is coming for a variety of reasons related to both supply and demand - immigration is merely one factor among several. We're not even mentioning here the issue of landlords retiring, how slow the planning process in Ireland is, companies seeking to maximise profit instead of supply, vulture funds, Nimbyism etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Can anybody think of a more destructive policy ever thought up by a government than what's happening right now.

Our political and media class are also the target of my ire.

I don't blame people for taking advantage or wanting a better life.

The fact noone at the protest linked the two shows how the level in honesty or integrity there. Just like those protesting don't connect the housing crisis to their own Nimbyism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Got proof its lots of people polls suggest otherwise .

And now it will get worse .Most arrivals here are on low wage or with not enough skills they are dependent on government housing .In the mid 70s Ireland had the second highest number of owner occupied houses in the world .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like the end for Sanna Marin in Finland and their progressive government. There is a reason anti mass-immigration parties are gaining ground across Europe. People just don't feel listened to I guess.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finlands-marin-faces-tough-re-election-bid-national-election-2023-04-01/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

What is Sanna Marin famous for?

Private party videos

In August 2022, leaked videos of Marin partying and dancing in a private apartment in Helsinki became public, and went viral.

All she will be remembered for is private party photos 😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

So that's all the Scandanavian countries turned against importing everybody from everywhere. Nothing to do with what happened in Sweden I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,471 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think you'll find it was a snowflake Gammons who lost their absolute shít because she danced. Shock horror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Polls suggested Hillary would beat trump and Polls suggested Brexit would be defeated!

What exactly do you mean by" our political and media class " ? If it means that you are against democracy and against a free and open media then why not just say that.

Did we vote on the current immigration policy?

The media can do what they want, I don't have to agree with them, but they have been incapable for the most part of an actual discussion on immigration and it's positive and negative impacts. (and on multiple other topics). We have seen countless columns written on the eviction ban etc, does adding 500k to the population not also have an impact?

Anyways not sure why I'm engaging with you, you'll just look to avoid answering any questions put back to you. Still haven't got an answer from a few days ago?

Of course we didn't vote on current immigration policy, or the raising of the corporation tax, or countless other policies. We elected a government and opposition to discuss and debate these things. I have no idea what sort of society you wish to live in but it seems better suited to an authoritarian state.

Its an authoritarian state because I want things to be discussed and for things that affect the population to be talked about both positives and negatives?

Its an authoritarian state because I think there is insufficient discussion about the multiple complex causes of the issues we have in this country?

It seems the opposite to be honest, I would like the population to be treated like adults and not like children.

Do you even believe your shite?

• Advertisement

What issues do you believe are not being discussed sufficiently either by government or media in this country? Bearing in mind that you are currently discussing some of them on social media at present.

Advertisement