Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Now now. No need for ranting and whataboutery.

Stamp duty on house transactions - for everyone. There will be a sop to landlords in the form that they, and they alone, can effectively sell their property to a sitting tenant for zero (or reduced) stamp duty. Under the proposal, landlords would be advantaged relative to non-landlords.

You need to get over the foreva-handout mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

So you suggest going to people and forcing them to sell their house they have spent their lives saving for to give to other people??

F**k me we are going back to the famine times and throwing people out of their homes.

Perhaps you wouldn't get so angry if you tried actually reading posts rather than going off on a mental one.

Who is going off on a "mental one". It's the internet and a discussion forum. I feel no need to go off on anything

Going to answer the question, would it not be better for DCC and all the county councils to collect the arrears

Seemingly between them all 105m is owed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Well the 20 and 30 somethings would have been better served by knuckling down and saving a deposit for a house rather than daily splurging on avocado toast and iced Frappuccinos and taking time out to find themselves travelling the globe. You reap what you sow.

In response to your apparent assertion that no property can ever be seized, I merely pointed out that that is not correct and gave you examples to the contrary. You going off on a mental one is then you extrapolating that to whatever you were on about. Famine etc. Nowhere did I, or anyone else, propose seizing houses. I merely pointed out that your assertion was wrong.

If you don't like my suggestion above of increasing stamp duty but giving the sop to landlords, perhaps you would prefer an alternate solution of just increasing SD rates but not giving any reliefs to anyone. Would you prefer that?

The concept of the government being able to raise a tax rate might be beyond some people's comprehension, but that should only be a minority. If those people are shocked, imagine what would happen if they heard that SD is currently 7.5% for many transactions, and was much higher in the past.

You do realise that that is a completely orthogonal question? It has no relevance to raising SD rates. The purpose of the latter would be to cool down the market. The purpose of the former would be a revenue collecting exercise for DCC. One has no impact on the other and both can be done independently of each other. Neither is a substitute for the other in any way, shape, or form.

Still didn't answer the question, this thread is full of people, to use your terms, on a "mental one" about landlords while the county councils who could help the homeless people are sitting on over 105m in debt which could be recovered to help those people.

So should they collect that rent and use it to help other people?

Yes, but it has nothing to do with what I am saying. If you think it is linked, perhaps you are trying to imply they should collect that 105m and use it to pay higher prices to landlords?

They could also enforce vacant site levies and crack down on short-term lets that don't have planning permission. Those actions would actually have impact on the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I posted saying to invest the money to help homeless yet you are saying I am trying to imply to pay higher price to landlords??

Now please explain to me how you got from me posting to help the homeless to giving the money to landlords, thank you

Buying out a property to build a road has happened in the odd situation. Facebook I know bought out houses for the DC but those houses are either knocked or planned to be knocked because of the location beside the DC

Forcing people out of their homes they own and giving to someone else is what happened when Ireland was ruled by the British

Can you spot the difference?

Well you haven't stated what you think this 105m is going to do. You appear to think it is just sitting in envelopes inside front doors and waiting to be collected. Some of it will never be collected and some will take a long time to be collected and there will be a lot of costs in collecting it.

But let's just imagine they get all the 105m on Monday morning. What do you think it is going to change? The only thing it changes is to put more money into a bottomless pot to pay to existing property owners to get them to sell to the Council. And all that will do is inflate house prices and make them even more unaffordable. Whereas an increase in SD will put downward pressure on the houses.

What you are doing is simply whataboutery and deflection. If the 105m landed in on Monday morning, you could continue your logic and complain that they aren't collecting all their parking fines and that money should be chased to help the homeless and so on and so on. Landlords don't care about the homeless beyond the extent that they can lever against them to get higher rents and higher property prices.

The only "forcing out of their homes" will be done by landlords forcing tenants out of the tenants homes.

Nobody on this thread suggested any form of compulsory purchase for houses. Only you. It is a strawman. The proposed first refusal scheme will not even be a compulsory purchase. It will be that if a landlord willingly decides to sell, they will have to give first refusal to the tenant. But that comes AFTER they willingly decide to sell.

And no, your assertion on buying property to build a road happens more than you think. A lot of land is CPO'd for new roads and farms can be destroyed as businesses due to a motorway cutting them in half.

I posted already what should be done with the arrears. See below.

If they got the 105m on Monday morning they can reinvest it. Plus they will also have resolved the issue with rent arrears so those people would continue to pay rent bringing more money into the county council to help others.

What can they do with 105m to help the homeless? Plenty I am sure, especially based on the current CSO report prices are reducing.

Now because I don't agree with you I am using "whataboutery and deflection". The thread is about the eviction ban, a ban which has just been extended by DCC which means more and more tenants will sit in DCC properties not paying any rent safe in the knowledge they can't be kicked out. What an exceptional stupid plan that is? wouldn't you agree?

You do realise if you raise taxes on selling houses like suggested the seller will just increase the price to cover the tax so you have just increased the price of the houses?

You have no understanding about what a LL wants or doesn't want.

The seller of a house gets as much as the highest amount a buyer is willing and able to pay.

Stamp duty is levied on the buyer, not the seller. Not sure why you are suggesting that the seller will just "increase the price to cover the tax".

If they could "increase the price" today they would do that regardless of the SD level.

I lived in an area which had a road build right up the farms, the farmers loved it and the money meant they could massively reinvest into the farm. Destroyed as businesses? the opposite in all the situation I have seen and talked to farmers. Im sure I seen on one motorway a bridge built to allow animals to move safely from open side of a farm to another.

To the point when they wanted to build a filling station you had all the farmers coming offering land to build it on. "Another windfall" was how one described it but thats massively off topic now at this stage I made by point

And an irrelevant one at that. You might well be talking about something you actually know zero about.

A garage built off a motorway will only be a windfall to the single one that sells the land. It will have no beneficial impact to the neighbouring farmer who now has a round trip journey of 10k to get to the fields he used to be able to walk to in 5 minutes. How many such garages are built? One every 50 miles along a motorway? When such installations are put in place, there will be a service road put in as well, but there will be no public access through it. The only public access is off the motorway itself and there will be no other development allowed around it.

While such bridges you describe do exist, they are very rare and are only constructed in the cases of a very large farm with a very large operation where the assessed damage to the business is more than the cost of building the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No matter how many times this type of twaddle is brought up it never ceases to be laughable. 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

No matter how funny you think it is, there’s a lot of truth in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

How so?

You can only spend a Euro once. Spend it on anything other than towards your housing and it’s gone forever.

Priorities and all that boring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No there isn't. It's just waffle and some kind of weird victim blaming by older blinkered 'I'm Alright Jack' types that remain loyal to their parent's favourite political party. In any functioning society there should be enough houses to rent or buy at somewhat affordable rates and salary ratios. Even during lean years in Ireland it was so. I have huge admiration for the young people of Ireland today - way less baggage. It is sad that we are forcing them to emigrate.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Because it's cliched load of crap that doesn't apply to the real world. Most young people's wages go on rent, not fucking avocado toast. FFS. When you have to pay ridiculous rent prices, not to mention all the other basic cost of over priced living necessities, your ability to save for exorbitant mortgages gets severely cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Abolutely not. The vast majority of 30 something middle income earners I know are on the ladder. They partied but kept their eye on the ball. I'm sure the remainder consist of those who genuinely can't make ends meet and others who just feel entitled.

It's not.

A whole generation grew up in the Tiger and got over indulged by parents, I know because I done it.

I have talked to some people of course who have head on shoulders in terms of money and they are the ones at 20-30 buying houses. Then I have talked to the ones who haven't a breeze and tell you they can't buy a house etc. Why? well they waste money and expect someone to take the parent role and just ahdn it to them like it has happened all their life

You lot can spout this gibberish all day lads. I'm not having it. It's a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

That's how a discussion forum works.

You could be right, we could be right.

Trying to say it "crap", "gibberish" and "boll*cks" adds nothing to the conversation when you clearly have nothing to back up saying its not true.

Advertisement