Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Another reason not to like Solis. At least you can easily upgrade or downgrade Sofar firmware from MicroSD cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

No fan on the inverter is another reason to hate on them, temps get mad in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Hi folks, Just had a 8.4kw array installed with a 6k Solis invertor. 20 Panels which are Tiger Neo 420 watt on 3 orientations E W and S

The East and South have 12 panels (6 and 6) on a string and have 12 Tigo optimisers on them. while the west has 8 panels. I've a few noob questions about the generation through out the day.

I thought i would be maxing out the invertor around the lunch time mark but I only just just tipped 5.8 once

I've attached the graphs, but I'm confused why my west string is showing a voltage early in the morning when I would of expected it to only get going around midday? I'm based in Sligo, which had some clear sun over the weekend, again I'm still very green to this stuff so just wondering if this can all this be explained away with "relax, its still only march" :) NB time is in UTC

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Does ESBN not check the installation? What would be the point of introducing more stringent output thresholds and then not enforcing them?

I've no issue submitting the NC6 for a 5.5kw invertor even though I dont understand why I shouldn't submit one for a 6kw prior to 31 May. My issue now though is that my preferred iinstaller doesnt want to install the 6kw invertor since I've asked if he would submit the NC6 prior to 31 May even though we agreed quote based on a 6kw invertor. Anyone else experiencing installers taking this approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The panels will have a relatively stable voltage through the day, but it's the current which will change as the day progresses. Your power is voltage x current. if you pull up the chart on the current, you'll see that the amps on your west string will be pretty low early in the morning.

Give it another month, mid/end of April and you will be clipping that inverter. The sun's slant angle is improving a lot now and when it's facing more "end on" to your panels, you'll be maxing that out.

Top tip: With the hour going forward, "solar noon" when the sun is highest over your house in sligo is about 1:40pm every day and not "high noon" as most people expect. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Ah Ok Thanks, the current chart makes a bit more sense. Early days with it so far and much learning to do :)

Don't confuse voltage with current. Expect the expected voltage, but with very low current rates

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and see if you can change that chart to kWh generation, much easier to interpret

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

Time is fast approaching to get a replacement PV system following the house fire earlier this year.

The original system was 14 panels at 5.18kWp on a SSE (140deg) roof + a 5kWh battery. During the dark months, generation stopped at about 14.00 hrs.

For the new system, I would like to put 5 extra panels facing WSW (230 deg) to take advantage of the afternoon sunlight. I contacted the original supplier to discuss and I was told that the inverter could handle up to 8 panels on each string so 8 panels on the main roof at 2.96kWp and 5 on the sub roof at 1.85kWp, total 4.81kWp.  This means I will have 0.37kWp less generating power from 1 less panel.

What is the consensus of the cognoscenti on this board. Would it be better to stick with the original 14 panels facing SSE and suffer the shorter generation periods or go with the other idea of having 1 less panel but facing two directions and potentially generating for longer hours per day? I don't like the idea of having to use optimisers to increase the panel numbers.

I seem to remember discussion on the board about 'overloading' the inverter. Would it be possible to put 10 panels on one string of the inverter and use the second string to take the 5 new panels, even though the supplier says it can't be done?  The Ergocell inverter is rated at 6.5kW continuous PV input power.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

I have already submitted an NC6 form when the original system was installed last year. The house fire early this year destroyed the solar system, so I will just be replacing the system. The ESB do not know that the system was destroyed.

I want to find out whether it would be better to spread the panels over two aspects but have a smaller system, or keep the larger system on a single aspect. In addition, I want to know whether my understanding that an inverter can be overloaded on the assumption that it will not be working at 100% efficiency is correct.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Many inverters can take up to 12 panels per string (~4.5Kwp in panels), so not sure why your installer says you can only have 8. Maybe 8 is the limit on that specific inverter that he's trying to flog to you, but 12 is fairly common place. I've 11 on one string myself and 6 on another. (380w panels)

With a battery, you should be trying to maximise production.....which is normally south facing panels. That said, I would also try and fill your roof. If that means this time you drop the battery to fund the panels & inverter, that would be a runner now with FIT where previously 1-2 years back it was a different landscape

Look at the input per mppt on the specs of the inverter vs VOC of the proposed panels, to know the number per string. Never known less than 10 on a string tbh

But after that, I think that I would lean towards the 2 separates - with the 5 on WSW.

What you could do is parallel a WSW panel with an SSE one thereby adding a Sto the W string, but avoiding an optimizer. It's like adding a double sized (but same voltage) panel into the string.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have 13 panels on one string and 11 on the other.

As @championc says it depends on the max voltages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

has anyone else had an issue with Energia charging you for 30 mins at night rate ( 2 am to 2.30 ish ) when that should be EV rate ?

Is there an issue with them or a clock issue somewhere ? My Zappi and Inverter clocks book seem right

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭tnegun

Quick question I was told that mismatching the number of panels per string on a single inverter is inefficient. I don't have much choice due to panels being installed on different aspects but was wondering if there was any truth in it and what the science was behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What time is on your meter? That might be the problem

Inefficient in a lab maybe. Even if you lost 10%, it's far better than losing the potential extra panels on one string.

So basically, I call BS on whoever said it !!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd be suspicious of that too, as most inverters have 2 separate and independent mppt trackers.

Actually have some evidence to back it up,

Have 3 strings SW, 2 of them have 12 panels, 1 of them 10 (due to VOC constraints), all the same slope.

The 12 and 10 are on one inverter, and another 12 on another, the output 12 match the output of the other 12 with different number panels on the second string.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jkforde

are the D\N meters meant to be DST enabled? just checked mine and it's on winter time still... 🤦🏼

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No. That's why it's 00:00 to 09:00 in summer and 23:00 to 08:00 in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

The meters do not change time, so in summer night rate starts from midnight till 9am. i winter is 11pm to 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The time might be off on the meter though. Mine is 15 mins fast so night rate for me is 2345-0845

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jkforde

gotcha, so from the ESBN's side, it's functionally always UTC. learn something new every day.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

We have a smart meter but I see no time on it at all. Should there be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

What do people do with their solar setup when they go on holidays? turn it all off ?

God no. And if there is ever a possibility of me exporting anything, I telly neighbour to connect her car to my Zappi.

But DO click stop on your Eddi via the App

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭randombar

any tips for avoiding export? Battery and car both full. Need to look at a way of my leaf 30 only charging to 70% or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Bake a cake? Load of laundry? Dishwasher? Sometimes you just can't soak it all up and you just gotta accept it going out to the grid and bump the national renewables ratio up a teeny weeny bit.

Advertisement