Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Didnt Clarke start on McGurn last week?

the Gunner could start on him and Faulkner could be moved out further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Good Luck to my neighbours from Cavan today. May they bring national honours back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Conor Casey would have been on the Minor team 3 years which was beaten by Monaghan. Why was he not involved with the U20s this year. Some of the shot selection was really poor, Madden took on a shot from about 40 yards near the end. He did kick some good scores but has to show more composure.

Daire Madden and Lovett underage again next year. Madden has advantage over Lovett in that he has good size. But needs to fill out more for Senior County

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Gunner would be giving up a lot of height in that match up though.

I'm very interested as to who will pick up Ultan Kelm this evening , he caused mayhem last week.

We really need to unearth a 6'1 ,6'2 option at full back whom can cover big full forwards. So we can move Faulkner and Clarke out the field.

From a selfish Ballyhaise point of view,Hoping David Brady gets a start this evening too. Ryan Jones caused alot of problems last week, kicked 2 or 3 from play, He also needs to be counteracted.

Casey was on the panel and left it. He definitely was listed on the panel at a game I was at and he was playing for Gowna at the weekend. Maybe he was injured and only back was on it at some stage

Post edited by baconsarnie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I heard he doesn't have much interest in playing county football. A pity because he appears to have good potential.

Casey played College football with Maynooth. They reached fresher final in February against DCU. Maybe that was his focus, but County football not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

No team or panel named yet which doesn’t bode well. I see Sligo, rather than naming a team, named their panel for the final earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

We have a national hurling title, congratulations to all involved,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone still awake after that first half? Awful football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Second half a bit better when they started to get the ball in to the forwards quicker. Better team by far but slow the play up far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Very good second half performance,

Galligans free taking was outstanding as usual,Faulkner was immense, Took Kelm completely out of the game,Clarke did the same with McGurn whom outside the goal did nothing.

McVeety Holla and Gerard Smithwere outstanding aswell.

Forwards were a mixed bag,Gearoid and Paddy Lynch each kicked very good points from play, but weren't up to their usual high standards. Gearoid in particular was surrounded by 2/3 everytime he got the ball.

Oisin Brady had a very good second half, as did Cian Madden whom got on a mountain of ball.

Subs made a huge impact,Conor Brady's powerful running and Conor Madden and Conor Smith's point scoring were important.

As good as the second half was, the first half was as poor, tentative, sluggish,slow build up play and leaving enough space for a plane to land despite having everyone back, and horrible tackling.

We won't get away with a first half performance like that against Armagh. But all in all, a very positive result and a vast improvement from last week.

First half was really poor standard from both teams. Kick passing, handling, shooting. Fermanagh deserved to be ahead but they were very wasteful. Cavan stepped it up in second half. subs were good. Galligan kicked some good frees/45s. Paddy Lynch was a bit sluggish, not fully fit. Missed a few frees but couple of good scores. Gearoid Mckiernan was low key. Ciaran Brady was very good.

The finals tomorrow will be likely faster paced and higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Well done Cavan. A victory for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Mckenna missed out on some valuable game time due to a stupid yellow which could cost him a championship place.

Second half was better but I hope there is alot more in the tank as it will be needed the next day.

Can't understand how a lad can go from hobbling around in a protective boot to playing 70+ minutes...

that was fun! Safe home everyone. Faulkner MOTM for me. Kept Kelm quiet. Holla had his best game since the Westmeath match. Clarke had an outstanding game as well.

the sun that made the biggest impact was Jason. He must have turned over more ball than anyone else! Lovely to see forwards come off the bench and make an impact. Great to see Oisin Brady have such a good second half.

I was surprised by that. I thought if they had gone to the extent of putting a protective boot on him, that they’d have kept him for Armagh.

I still think it’s great to win a cup even if it is Division 3. In the 2010s, we were in 3 League finals and didn’t win one so back to back titles now is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Great result, nice to see them prove they’re the best team in the Division and get stuck into Fermanagh. Good to see McVeety back. Lots to work on, that performance won’t beat Armagh but it’s still a 50/50 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

It's always good to win a final when you get to one. That's three in a row. Hard to know what Graham is up to he has a plan no doubt.

With Armagh having to play Antrim yet, there are no bookies odds up yet for the game but only Cavan people will say it’s a 50/50 game,

To win the Ulster championship outright for example, they are third favourites and 4/1. We are sixth favourites and 12/1.

Unfortunately, since we met in the League in 2020, they have been operating at a different level.

• Advertisement

The great philosopher Ciaran McKeever reckons the Ulster Championship is on its knees, and the All Ireland series -Round robin format is where they will be peaking for.

Getting the excuses in ,incase Armagh have another no show in Ulster.

I saw that but then Mickey Graham was talking down the League Finals during the week too which is why I didn’t expect the lads with knocks to feature yesterday.

True, but Armagh are in the Ulster preliminary round. They could play potentially 4 games in Ulster and another 4 in the All Ireland Round Robin series to reach the All Ireland quarters,unless they win Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Some ruthless calls from Graham yesterday. Dropping Tiarnan Madden for the final, subbing McKenna after 18 minutes, subbing Gearoid when the game was in the melting pot.

Our big players stepped up big time in that second half. I thought McLoughlin was immense, as he was in the Div 4 final last year. Oisin Brady really came into the game in the second half, McVeety played really well, Ray was fantastic from the frees.

We need to find a couple more gears if we are to beat Armagh.

They start against the worst team in Ulster though. They’ve also avoided the two favourites Derry & Tyrone who are on the other side of the draw.

I know people from Armagh that I’ve spoken to are more worried about coming to Breffni than they are about the potential of Donegal.

They have told me they’ve a poor record there. They must be about the only county because Breffni is far from a fortress for Cavan.

Armagh at home is an ideal draw for us. Their record away from home in Ulster under the managerial genius that is McGeeny is very poor. We actually do have a pretty good recent record against them. We will naturally go in as underdogs and that will suit us. Lovely to have Armagh talked up on the Sunday game. Keep it coming.

McLoughlin for me changed the game. Great to have him back.

As you said KTF, great to have management being so proactive. Graham referenced learning lessons from the Westmeath game when changes were made too late. No room for sentiment and even if McKenna was annoyed, it was the right call. For what is worth, i don't think it was a booking. One of those sloppy tackles, but the Fermanagh lad bought the booked by making it look like there was contact around his neck, and once McKenna was carded he was up off the deck.

Interesting to see both Conor Brady & Conor Smith two of the first subs onto the pitch. Conor Smith was parachuted into the team for the Ulster Final in 2020 and Conor Brady was put on in the AI Semi Final despite having not featured previously.

Killian Clarke may well drop back into the full backline with Brady partnering Smith at midfield.

Graham has held McKiernan back from FF because I think he’ll leave that for Armagh.

Antrim are the worst team in Ulster. They had some strange results in the League. Beat Down in Newry, absolutely hammered by Westmeath,beat Cavan and lose at Longford.

I see one of the Antrim players said in an interview their S/C has improved a lot since Andy McEntee because manager. They'll be able for the physical stuff if nothing else.

• Advertisement

Two whole weekends without a Cavan game, what will we do? Hopefully will get down home for a few club games in the meantime. I wonder did Maguire line out for Ramor against Ballinagh last week. Evan Finnegan seems to have played.

While we have almost three weeks, it probably would take me that long to hazard a guess a the starting 15 and matchday panel for the Armagh* match. Assuming everyone is fit, that could be quite the conundrum.

*not going to happen in a million years, but it would be very funny if Antrim beat them :)

Advertisement