Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

They're toying with us. It's sad to see. That first team needs at least 4 new starters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I'd argue you cannot be described as a ludicrously talented if you need a very specific system to get the best out of him. No tactical flexibility whatsoever.

The issue with TAA will always be that the better the opposition the more likely it is he will be exposed. He's not good enough to play in our midfield (would never press enough, and would be average in tight spaces), and he will never be a natural defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Shambles of a performance again today city doing what they wanted all game,as mentioned before need more than 1 player in the Sumner at least 4 or 5 needed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That second half was as bad as it gets. Absolutely appalling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Such a disaster of a second half. Awful.

I don't think we laid a single glove on them. Not a single tackle. Not a single foul. Simply allowed them to do what they wanted

Some of those performances were absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We've had a number of really embarrassing games this season.

Forrest, Bournemouth, Madrid at home, Brighton/wolves away, this.

In Klopp's previous seasons I don't remember ever describing an entire performance as embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Manager and players are on the floor. It can be turned around, but not going to happen this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm not sure who has had a bigger decline this season, Virgil or Fabinho? Both need replacing now, but VVD annoys me more because it seems like he's just not bothering whereas Fab just looks physically spent.

I'm afraid it'll be needs must with the resources.

I don't see us buying two or three midfielders and a CB if we have four of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Virgil is done, his heart isn't in it.

A small example earlier, at 1-1 there was a minute or 2 of crazy stuff, with tackles flying in. The ball broke between Virgil and an opponent, it was 75/80 % his ball, and he could have won the ball and taken out the City Player and laid down a marker to boot. Instead, he pulls out and loses the tackle. His head is done, hasn't been the same since his injury and has lost his nerve. His cocky demeanour doesn't help, makes him look like he's not trying which I don't think is actually the case but he's a poor shadow of the player he was pre-Pickford.

I don't agree with the injury being the be issue.

Sure last season was incredible. Four competitions til the last day and two trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be honest we probably need 6 or 7 new players and we're not going to get all those in one transfer window. FSG have backed themselves into a corner now and they are left with a big rebuild on their hands rather than gradually adding to the squad over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yup, noticed he shíte out that tackle too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

April fools....what time is the real kick off at? 🫣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

• Advertisement

He wasn't incredible last season. He was OK, and better than he's playing now, but never recovered to that level. Allison saved his bacon lot let year.

That's not gonna happen.

The coaches need to get the finger out and Coach the team better. If it need altering the formation or the tactics to suit the players, then do it, but quit hiding behind the lack of signings.

There are weaker squads ahead of us in the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Unfortunately, it's likely to be more of the same next season, because the club simply will not spend what is required to get us back competitive again. Midfield is a disaster zone, we have about 10 midfielders at the club and none are probably up to the required standard or sick notes that miss half the season. VVD seems to be finished as an elite player, just an ordinary defender now, Trent is a one man wrecking ball in our team, has no clue or interest how to defend. We probably need 3 new midfielders, a right back who can defend and at least one, possibly 2 CBs to get us back being competitive again. In reality we'll probably get 1 or 2 midfielders and that will be that.

There's a lot of deadwood at the club that needs to be cleared out in the summer, thankfully some of the deadwood are out of contract, but, more needs to be culled, and a proper rebuild started. Is Klopp the man to do it, I don't know, he has been just as poor as the team this season, but, has plenty of credit in the bank, so deserves the chance to get us back to the top again, but, if next season continues in the same vein as this season, then even his position will come under question.

I agree, Klopp and the coaching staff need to get the finger out and adapt tactics if needs be, pointless playing the same system or slight variation of it all season when the players are no longer able to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

The whole forum and other forums have been saying this for a long time. Is there any other plan other than plan A. The inability to adapt tactics could be Klopps achilles heal.

And for your other post, I agree we need a whole midfield and now it appears the bones of a defence. The failure to refresh the squad has to be pointed at the owners. Maybe Klopps dedication to players that should be shifted on long ago is because of lack of signings.

It's very disappointing after last season's climax to see the team in a state of collapse. Very hard to watch them without expecting the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I've been saying these players are done for over 12 mths now and got slated for it,I suppose I'm still wrong am I??

Yes, because 12 months ago, we had a cup in the bag and were in the hunt for 3 others.

Besides, what do you want for being first to claim these players are done? A medal? It changes nothing. We're all frustrated as fans to see such a rapid decline but banging on about what anyone with eyes can see this season, to prove some sort of personal score is just pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As much as VVD has done my head in this season, I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that having a porous and weak midfield in front of him isn’t helping his level of play or his attitude. If we manage to assemble a functioning midfield over the summer and he still isn’t doing his job, then it’s time to think about his successor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's all very frustrating alright... like, surely there's some logic to adapt the tactics even for the rest of the season. You look at our squad and it's easy to see our strengths and weaknesses. Surely it's worth trying 3 at the back to add a little more defensive strength to make up for the weakness in midfield, and cover for trent's laziness. Sitting that bit further back would probably actually help our attack, giving Mo and Nunez space to run into. Doesn't have to be forever, just for while our midfield (and Trent) is so embarrassingly dodgy.

I'd also be in favour of playing Gomez over Trent at RB for now if we're sticking with a back 4. Joe's been a travesty at CB this year, but has been decent at RB - at very least he's usually actually there, which alone is an improvement..

That last line really shows what a state we are in, the fact that Gomez himself a liability is probably a better option than Trent says it all really. The main problem is midfield solve that and it solves a lot of other issues, but, it won't solve the problem with Trent, unless he has a major attitude change he'll continue to be a liability even with a functioning midfield in front of him, he was a liability last season when midfield was functioning OK, so can't see how he won't be if our midfield issues were resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A new midfield full of high energy defensively strong players sorts that out alright I think - the whole thing works when 2 roles are split in half, with one midfielder effectively being part time midfield and part time right back like Hendo used to be, with Trent being part time fullback, and part time midfield/winger. The current options just can't do that, so it definitely needs a brand new midfield to ever go back to that plan again. The other option is to just buy a more orthodox RB and try to convert Trent to the sort of 'free' 3rd man in midfield with a 6 and defensively strong 8 (not unlike Thiago's role for us). Or, finally, to relegate Trent to only playing games that suit him where we're not under too much defensive pressure.

Much easier to get a RB who is able to defend, than midfielders who are able to cover RB when Trent goes forward, even if we did get a midfielder that could accommodate him, we still need to get in a RB anyway, might as well get one that can defend, unless Ramsey turns out to be a decent defender, I'd hate to see us go into next season with only Trent and Ramsey as our RB options, as hard to see Klopp picking Ramsey ( who we don't even know if he's up to the required level yet) over Trent. Unfortunately I think Klopp doesn't even see Trent's defending as a problem as there doesn't appear to have been any attempt to improve how he defends if anything he's gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yup, the manager and coaching staff have been our worse performers this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

12 months ago??? We were in a very different position 12 months ago!!!!

You could see the decline coming,3 cup finals,no goals scored,scraped past an awful lot of games last season too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see the City fans where throwing stuff at the Liverpool bus.

Looking forward to hearing the City fans explain how a bottle is more dangerous than a brick.

Scummy behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

We might have a game in hand but Jesus Brentford and Brighton are above us in the table. We’ll be 9 points behind Brighton if they win their games in hand.

never could have imagined this at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm seeing reports that the brick was sponsored by Eithad. A smashing £100m for for the deal.

When the Arab City accountants said they found a way to “break” the transfer window, they really took it quite literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

He's not a defender.

In a previous era, this lad would have been played as a right winger or something. No manager with their head screwed on would be putting him in defence. But times have changed and tactics have "evolved"...

It's a shame that tactical systems are so rigid and inflexible, because Trent would probably be a very exciting attacking player further up the pitch. And obviously be much less of a liability when you lose possession.

Salah is obviously getting on a bit now, he'll be 31 this summer. What would it cost to find a younger replacement for Salah? Probably more money than Liverpool have realistically. Could Trent be a potential option? Different type of player, but it might also give your attack a new dimension/something fresh different...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Chelsea vs Liverpool.

A dead rubber.

What could be more depressing.

Apart from Ox coming on as sub of course.

Yeah that Ox sub was infuriating. His performance even worse.

Like Keita, he is leaving in the summer. Keita was basically told to f**k off, maybe because of his attitude this season. Is Ox getting game time because he has a good attitude? That's on Klopp there for being too nice. I'd rather Bobby Clark play, or Jones, or Carvalho. Someone still with a future at the club, on paper at least.

The brick was probably thrown by a liverpool fan,and who could blame them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Klopp's teams seem to live off being fine tuned machines.

All his teams seem to be almost impenetrable when right, but are a cog out of place away from everything falling apart.

Dortmund were in the relegation zone for a while.

We'd makeshift CBs and lost an obscene amount in a row.

He blatantly wanted a CM last summer. He was beaten to Tchouameni and told to go away 'for now' on Bellingham. He obviously thought he might eek another season out of the options he had by just playing Elliott more than he should and hoping declines weren't quite so bad in others. He was wrong.

When a cog is wrong (our midfield at the minute) everything falls apart.

Trent and Robertson looked absolutely hopeless today. And they were. But you can't tell me they weren't covered in previous seasons. You can't tell me that Trent has ever had to do as much defending as this season. He's never been good at it, but he was covered by others so he could be released to do what he is best at. It doesn't excuse how bad he is defensively at the moment, but he's being asked to do things he simply wasn't having to do when the team was a fine tuned machine.

And this is Klopp's weakness. He simply struggles to find a way to get through seasons properly where his team isn't a well oiled machine. When it is, and he has the pieces correct, there's not one manager I'd rather have. But when it's not, he can't figure things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've been saying that about TAA for years now. I just don't rate him

What manager does succeed when you take 4/5/6 cogs out of their machine for months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I wonder what he'd fetch if Liverpool put him on the transfer market? I know they won't but bearing in mind the club only spends what it makes, it might be a decent way to get 40 mil based on his previous reputation from a PSG type and invest it in a decent midfielder. Make Joe Gomez the right back as in all honesty, he's actually a very good right back. Just rubbish in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Aymeric Laporte available apparently. We've seen City will sell to rivals. If certainly take him.

What's the point in getting 40M for a decent homegrown player when it costs at least 50M for a defensive bench warmer (based on City's annual spending on one)?

For all Trent's misgivings, he's young enough that he can be coached to do better. The management don't seem to be bothering to do that though. As a minimum he should be told to stick to the sidelines and under no circumstances to venture into the middle. At least give us our width back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

You're over complicating things.

Klopp's style relies on very high workrate, in every game, even from the so-called star players in the team.

But the problem is that players can become burnt out from this way of playing. And the team needs constant refreshment with new young legs to keep this style working. We seen this with Bielsa at Leeds... people were scratching their heads at the end of his time there, because the performances were so poor. But his players were exhausted from the constant demand to press relentlessly in every game.

There's a lot players in Klopp's team, that have been doing it for several seasons now. And it only takes one or two players to be slightly off their max intensity for the whole system to start falling apart. Really, with these tactics, you should not be relying on players over the age of 30. And even some players younger than this, can still become burnt out after several seasons playing this system.

It's obviously a thrilling way to play football. But like anything, it does have some downsides. I have no doubt Klopp is aware of this, but a combination of loyalty to top players (which is natural really) and lack of support in the transfer market, has brought the system down.

They're a jaded team, as a collective. They can still do it in the occasional game, like against Man Utd. Or for 45 mins, like against City. But they're struggling to achieve the required intensity consistently now. I don't think it's a lack of effort, they are trying, but they just don't have it in their legs anymore.

You are correct to say it's a jaded team, and that Klopp's system means that the squad needs constant refreshment, which makes our total lack of investment in midfield over the last few seasons really hard to understand. The only midfielders brought in recently are both youngsters Elliott and Carvalho, both are more forward orientated players not really the workhorse type players required and also players I wouldn't really have expected to contribute that much; Elliott has been involved much more than expected, Carvalho is a fringe player which is what I expected of him for this season. The point is the club knew or should have known that the midfield was going to be a problem area and basically did nothing about it.

I definitely think Klopp could have managed things better this season even with the players available and the form the players are in, there's been little or no variation in tactics or formation, players who aren't performing are being left in the team, poor use of substitutes either too late in games or wrong options taken. There's a lot of work to be done before next season, everyone at the club including Klopp needs to improve.

It's poor coaching though too.

No team can go 100% flat out all the time. There has to be times to kill the game, keep latent possession, get a breather, make the other team chase the ball while you get a breather yourself.

Definitely.

I dunno if I subscribe to the burnout argument, just players getting older, but as was not always killing games, the lack of subs we make, or make too late, when cruising 3/4 nil in games didn't help.

Wouldn't be that surprised if Klopp went himself this summer, very similar circumstances to when he finished up at Dortmund, poor season, no chance of CL the following season, had a few years left on his contract, at Liverpool around the same length of time. I hope he doesn't as can't see who we could get to replace him, but, the circumstances are remarkably similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement