Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEC committee & final report - **UPDATE post 442**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭keith s

I wonder how many on the FEC have ever shot a firearm. If they haven't, what expert knowledge do they have in relation to what a "silencer" actually does on a centerfire. I mean for all we know they have a preconceived idea on what they do. What is the issue with a moderator while hunting, vermin control or target shooting?

How many of the FEC have shot at night time? If not, what expertise can they actually use to understand how nightvision is more or is less safe.. Because if they ever used a lamp and then used NV, they would know why NV is more safe.

Browne has already said, forget about questioning the selection process of the FEC as will not be revisited, but you'd have question the credibility of an expert committee who have never held, shot or participated in any of the activities they are making recommendations on. Wonder if Brownie would ask them to diagnose a noise in his engine?

Post edited by keith s on

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

There is a reason there were no actual experts or representative groups on the commitee and also why Browne doesnt want to revisit the composition... and that would be for the exact reason that when nonsense spouted by NPWS saying you cannot tell the difference between a small bird up close and a large animal far away an actual expert or a Rep body could have shown some nv/thermal footage or better yet let the committee actually view it in real life.

Same with moderators, they should have visited a range and actually listened to various hunting claibres being fired with one.

The FEC is a farce with a preordained agenda, a loaded committee with a very questionable ''representative'' on our side, Blatant disregarding of some members opinions, going ahead with recommendations when the gardai have no evidence to support its need.

And now seemingly releasing a version of a report that wasnt agreed upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

He does indeed have his copy sent.Still waiting for Min Brownes reply tho.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Those on the FEC in the "against" column don't need experience with anything. Their objective is to ban, prohibit or severely curtail firearm ownership. You simply bag the table screaming why won't everyone think of the children. You won't win a moral argument with facts or anything like else so don't try.

As for the Minister, even though the recommendations come with the notice "we cannot provide proof of such a threat because it doesn't exist" his agenda is political points. Watch when the dust settles how quick the party will be to state the number of "guns taken off the street", and make no mistake they will count scopes, etc. as firearms as they did previously when counting gun safes and other inert objects as firearms stolen (even lumping in AGS and DF loses with "our" stats.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Strange too,that all the Experts brought onto this committee were Govt types and agencies?Odd that our side wasn't invited/allowed to bring our own experts to give a differing opinion?

We'd better have a gang of them lined up ,if there is ever a consultation on these reports to demolish these reports.ESP on NV and thermal.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mud dog

I'd like to see that ! And I would think everyone would like to see it ! !

So would us all.but its up to him to release it when and if he feels it is right to speak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

I can't believe anyone from npws said you couldn't tell the difference between a bird and a large animal with thermal, that's clearly a blatant lie sure they use thermal for ground nesting bird counts are they now going to invalidate all their reports because they've been counting sheep as well as birds.

Who's the fella who's ment to be representing shooting and shooters but is doing his best to destroy it what's his problem if anyone knows but without getting to personal about him.

And yet it is in the report..saying exactly that.. and thats why a safe shot cant be made and so they are dangerous, oh and just to close the loop they state any of the high end thermal is too good and could fall into the wrong hands !! so its both not good enough and at the same time too good.

lets call a spade a spade, NPWS dont want lads after deer with it so they want it gone and guards dont have it so they want it gone, and it has revived the popularity of fox hunting at night so anything that revives hunting must be banned, all an agenda

I've been dealing with npws for a few years and sadly the ones I've dealt with are beyond useless for wildlife of any kind and to be fair maybe I just deal with the bad eggs.

Who's the wrong hands,is it gangland and if it is what use do they think thermal or NV will be used for by these groups.They do know the internet exists and wait till they find out shiploads of military grade NV and thermal is in Ukraine which I assume any amount will be sold to the highest bidder.And the heaps of aks handed out which will also end up in some gangs hand no matter how hard Ukraine try for that not to happen.

Hunting or vermin control is something that needs to be done for the good of certain species and one would imagine all involved in Irelands wildlife would want it to be done the most effective and ethical way and NV and thermal achieve that

• Advertisement

Another thing,I'm sure the firearms legislation is way,way down the list of things local and community gardai are thinking about day in day out as they look at the local thieves who they arrested and got convicted given community sentence for their 50th conviction.Also does anyone know if there has ever been a gangland murder with a stolen bolt action or semi auto rifle taken from a licence holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

True, but all it takes is someone to make a phone call to say that there is "suspicious activity " in the field behind my house and if you are found to be using NV or haven't written permission to be there, then, guns gone. The end.

do know the internet exists and wait till they find out shiploads of military grade NV and thermal is in Ukraine which I assume any amount will be sold to the highest bidder.And the heaps of aks handed out which will also end up in some gangs hand no matter how hard Ukraine try for that not to happen.

Hate to tell them, but Ukraine is already selling very good and effective and cheap units on the public market in the EU and worldwide that are combat proven and used by Ukranian SF and troops. So no need to go to any elaborate black-market dealings to get one.All you need now is a once off credit card from Revolout and one will be at your door here in Ireland within days, without even a customs inspection as it is sold within the EU. Ditto NV.At the moment, everyone on the black market arms dealing is selling everything they can find TO Ukraine as it is a "booming" market Tish Bum!

Same as with China. Aliexpress will get you good enough copies of most of our high-end western equipment, like the PARD models for a fraction of the cost,and are "spotting scopes that can clip onto a day scope.

Technology and globalism have beaten this FEC recommendation before it can even begin. You would literally have to be caught red-handed with one attached to your gun with a shot deer in tow to make a charge stick. With even the units being so cheap,it will be nothing to a pro to ditch the unit as well if need be. This will be exactly like the UAV legislation.its the LAW!!but how will you enforce it? This IMO along with the silencers is one of the biggest comedy sketches the FEC produced.

That would be the fastest AGS response in the history of the force!

FS some of these poor lads don't even have a squad car on tap at the local station.

There have been cases of aGS response time in DAYS in rural crime in Ireland. Are lads going to be hanging around that long for them to pitch up hours or days later? even if they have a free car in a division say,by the time it arrives people will be long gone if they are up to no good.

This all sounds good on paper and in committee reports.But reality and on-the-ground conditions also get a say in your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

Yet again, we find ourselves waiting for some sort of re-action from our representative groups 🙄😒

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JasonCee

This all makes for very depressing reading 😔

Yup - and it'll be the same next time if we all don't work very hard to oppose it, this time!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Call me naïve, but I think there are some positives as well as negatives to be taken out of the FEC recommendations?

Negatives first;

Okay, the lack of consensus on SACF rifles and CF pistols probably doesn't bode well, I imagine the dept. will press on with the legislation to stop new licenses for these being issued. But there might be a chance of an evidence based review of the suitability of these in which case AGS won't have a leg to stand on (I know I'm probably being way overly optimistic here)?

The thermal vision ban is a disaster, NPWS really threw us under the bus here. The night vision restrictions sound like a racket.

I agree that all the training stuff is a load of waffle, we already have to do a competency course to get a license in the first place. I don't understand why all this "Novice shooter" supervision stuff is being pushed when AGS have been satisfied with competency up until now.

Minimum range time is annoying too. Once you have your range membership and licenses you should be allowed go as frequently or as infrequently as you like I think. Does this also include hunters?

Positives;

The fact that the majority support a rimfire pistol mag increase I think is great news. The thought of having to butcher a pistol or revolver to get into the sport has put me off trying target shooting for years but this might finally convince me, and others, to get into the sport?

I think that all of the licensing recommendations are great, and the ability to do like for like swaps of guns at an RFD is very welcome. The fact that there were no objections to the home reloading recommendation from the other FEC members is another reason for cautious optimism.

I think the compulsory hunting organization membership is a good thing. It guarantees that shooters have insurance, and the more people are in these orgs, the more clout they should have at a political level, and more funds will be available to do conservation work.

Grey areas;

The written permissions thing seems really arduous at first and most of my permissions are verbal too, but a simple text message from the landowner is written permission and it might actually be able to help with poaching prosecutions.

The different RFD and gunsmiths licensing I think is good? It should save a lot of people from cowboy RFDs making hatchet mods to firearms. On the other hand, if this becomes law how many gunsmiths will actually be able to work if actual qualifications are required?

RFD levels of security would be very annoying indeed, but AGS have been citing the possibility stolen guns as the reason for targeting SACFs and CF pistols. Maybe some middle ground could be found here? For example, allowing SACF rifles and CF pistols but requiring two safes in different rooms with components stored in the different safes (again, probably being overly optimistic here) along with CCTV and monitored alarms?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭itisnotgrand

Fabien Connoly did an amazing job. Spoke exceptionally well on every point. He deserves a huge thanks from us all.

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction here as I've yet to read the reports instead relying on others summarisation of them but so far I've seen a few legal issues around some of the recommendations.

Barrel length, that requires a change to primary legislation as there is law already in place on it. Unlike the mag capacity issue which is an SI.

Training. We've been over this before but if they intend to bring in graduated licensing and/or training then it'll result in fraudulent applications.

Staying in training how do they propose to give certification to people? The competence courses are an unregulated mess so if they intend to continue the training courses in the same vein it'll be a bigger mess.

"Mandatory" range attendance. The law prevents day membership so it's full time membership only. Apply on the FCA1 when you don't want this and it's fraudulent application again. Not to mention ranges are limited in size by the infrastructure they have in place.

Ban on certain sights. I cannot remember which justice it was, but during a case some years back they cited the argument for public safety without showing the threat to the public is no argument at all. If this is the NPWS or Ags simply wanting them gone to reduce the need for policing it then it's a non argument and won't hold up in court.

Land permissions. Scenario - I get done for being on land with no written permission even after explaining I've verbal/oral permission. I'm in court and bring in the land owner who testifies he has given me verbal permission. Judge dismisses the case and I sue AGS and the state for various reasons. Multiply that scenario by a hundred, or a thousand or more. How soon before the judicial system decides to have a word with DoJ and AGS about the waste of court time?

Night shooting (with lamps). Basically similar to the above. Requires a change to existing legislation namely 1976, 2000 and 2010 wildlife acts and to be able to stand up to the legal challenge of proving a threat to public safety.

I'm sure there are more but typing on a phone is not fun so I'll leave it there.q

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

RFD levels of security would be very annoying indeed, but AGS have been citing the possibility stolen guns as the reason for targeting SACFs and CF pistols. Maybe some middle ground could be found here? For example, allowing SACF rifles and CF pistols but requiring two safes in different rooms with components stored in the different safes (again, probably being overly optimistic here) along with CCTV and monitored alarms?

Seeing that they are so hot on things German in this report.Why not go the German route on the more guns you have the stronger the safe you need? By the time you have over ten long arms in Germany you are talking a literal 1ton gun safe that can withstand a professional attack of over 5hours,and is fireproof.At this stage most lads just opt for making a gun vault with a proper 6point locking door with a combination and/or biometric lock. CCTV in a private dwelling, no doubt installed by an accredited PSA CCTV installer at large cost and rigged to a monitor station.possible privacy issues,and a timelock in a private residence makes no sense.What happens say,if the house catches fire and you still have an opportunity to move stuff out but can't because the timelock is in operation?

The different RFD and gunsmiths licensing I think is good? It should save a lot of people from cowboy RFDs making hatchet mods to firearms. On the other hand, if this becomes law how many gunsmiths will actually be able to work if actual qualifications are required?

With two gunsmiths /rfds on that FEC .Im surprised by how poor this section is. You don't need to go to those bespoke gunsmith schools they mentioned,you can do an apprenticeship with any master gunsmith in Germany.In fact one of our posters here on boards actually did his apprenticeship and got his ticket in Germany!The Irish Times even did a piece on him,on unusual jobs and careers a while back.Nor did they realise or mention that there are already people building firearms in Ireland.Some excellent some potential bombs. We don't need this "graduated repair" nonsense. Either you are a gunsmith,with some qualifications to prove it,or not.

And it's even simpler to put what qualifies as gunsmith work.Any work on a gun that involves,using heat or creating metal chips or spall. IE heat treating parts,any drilling, tapping, punching, threading,lathe or milling work, filing etc. Or working on the pressure-bearing parts and trigger mechanisms.

How to qualify. Open a proof house in Ireland.Get a master proofer to check any built Irish rifles offered for sale to the public to test proof. that sorts out the cowboys and lets the pros sell and advertise their services to start. Get young fellahs interested in a gunsmithing career. Pack them off to France,Germany etc to do their qualifications and even their master gunsmith ticket. They come home and are now qualified, and can take on apprentices to teach them in Ireland, then start a guild, and it goes from there.

I think that all of the licensing recommendations are great, and the ability to do like-for-like swaps of guns at an RFD is very welcome. The fact that there were no objections to the home reloading recommendation from the other FEC members is another reason for cautious optimism.

Nice,but wishful thinking. The PULSE cant handle that sort of request,and it would require a wholly new dedicated firearms computer system.Costing how many X millions knowing Ireland?Then every known firearm has to be transferred onto it including silencers and night vision and thermal scopes.As well as the problem of "twin serial numbers" on different firearms .IE and this happened to me. I have an anschutz with serial number123XYZ. A bloke in the same district had a BRNO with serial number 123XYZ.Now you would think it should be easy enough to ID when one is called Anschutz and the other BRNO? Nope! As the PULSE read and only had the serial number not the guns name. It was determined that I had sold somehow my gun to this guy.this isn't as uncommon as people would think either. So tBH unless they want to make life easier for us...[Sarcasm] I don't think it is a real possibility.

Minimum range time is annoying too. Once you have your range membership and licenses you should be allowed go as frequently or as infrequently as you like I think. Does this also include hunters?

Proably,on the last bit.Think that was another NPWS,some Irish deer organisation or the SCovi plans from awhile back Target shooting ranges already have that anyway.Think in some cases its minimum attendance of 3or4 times a year to be considered active membership.

Okay, the lack of consensus on SACF rifles and CF pistols probably doesn't bode well, I imagine the dept. will press on with the legislation to stop new licenses for these being issued. But there might be a chance of an evidence based review of the suitability of these in which case AGS won't have a leg to stand on (I know I'm probably being way overly optimistic here)?

You are! Apprently this part of the bill is up for debate on Monday in the Dail,and it will be whipped thru as is the usual form of "Dail debate in Irish democracy" However,the fat lady hasn't sung yet on this.it still has to go to the Senad for ratification. Whereas the NARGC has one Senator.Lets see if they justify their fat salary and perks in opposing this?

Evidence-based review?...In a parallel universe Ireland perhaps.Not this one! AGS /DOJ are sore losers and never have gotten over the loss in the DC courts,and this was Fitzgerald's compromise bone to them back then, and they want to chew on it! And going by this report they still wanted more.Same old plaver from them about dangers to the public,and the usual dirty underhanded tactics of emotiveism in running up massacres in other countries,and NO evidence to back up their claims. No,apart possibly from court case possibly to fight this for the 39 odd licenses out there being either grandfathered or possession under natural law. New SA rifles are done for here I'm afraid.

Ban on certain sights. I cannot remember which justice it was, but during a case some years back they cited the argument for public safety without showing the threat to the public is no argument at all. If this is the NPWS or Ags simply wanting them gone to reduce the need for policing it then it's a non argument and won't hold up in court.

I think that was Judge Lucey in one of the handgun cases up in Dublin DC ,where he took former Insp Brookes to bits on the same public danger line .

Could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

I agree, his arguments and phrasing were meticulous. Hopefully the dept. and ministers agree!

Reading through some of the comments here, there is a lot of shouting of NO NO NO going on. If we continue on like this, we will end up like the unionists up North - Fading into obscurity, being left behind, and getting no say because of an unwillingness to compromise.

I think the shooting orgs need to engage with the department in a positive note, because there are some good recommendations in the report that will benefit the shooting community. For the not-so-good recommendations, we as a shooting community need to approach the ministers with a spirit of goodwill and willingness to compromise.

Ban on thermal vision? Okay, how about instead we put it with night vision and require some accredited training on its use rather than a full ban?

How about we allow CF pistols and SACF rifles to be licensed for new entrants to the sport, but lets work together with the Garda crime prevention guys for proper security to ensure that its impossible for them to be stolen? To be fair to the Gardai and the courts here, they do a great job of preventing licensed firearms from falling into the wrong hands!

If we could get these two concessions from the dept. along with the rest of the recommendations from the FEC, we could actually see a golden age for Irish shooting sports.

The Garda stats on guns is so bad that their accreditation was taken from them, the Garda inspectorate said PULSE was no where near up to standard (fit for purpose) and during committee and conferences some years back AGS said they cannot trace guns used in crimes because the firearms are not recovered but when they are they're guns that cannot be licensed here anyway.

It might be time to split up the report and have a thread on every recommendation... That would help everyone get a clear understating on the entire report, keep the discussion from getting confusing etc. Could a sub-forum set up, @Cass ?

The suggestion of compulsory hunting organization membership descriminates against people living in the cities, who don't have a local club and aren't allowed join rural clubs because they don't live in the parish :(

Thanks,

G.

Firstly it would be too confusing with roughly 10+ threads.

Secondly there would be no end of cross thread posts, hence a crap ton of work for me.

Lastly the new system doesn't allow me to set up such a sub forum.

Best I could look at doing is break the posts into a thread of their own and sticky it. Iow separate it from the original thread where we discuss the report and only the report onward.

@TheEngineer1 Reading through some of the comments here, there is a lot of shouting of NO NO NO going on

In our defense, not once has any report or subsequent legislation ever been beneficial or easing of current laws/restrictions. So going into this with "we give a little" means we lose that and the stuff we don't want to.

That is going back 30+ years.

• Advertisement

Appreciate that Cass.

Yes, breaking it out into a new sticky would certainly be helpful, if not too big an ask, please.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement