Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I would imagine that a significant amount of voters (maybe even a majority) will vote for the candidate who is most likely to defeat the candidate who they really do NOT want to see elected. - A sad state of affairs.

Of course this is only my gut feeling and my opinion. As far as I'm aware no such exit poll has been done.

You would imagine that there are thousands upon thousands of extreme right wing, religious fundamentalist, bigoted, homophobic people in NI given the amount of votes for the DUP but that's not the case.

I can honestly say that anyone I've chatted to who've let me know that they've voted DUP have not displayed the above traits at all.

There are many many people who vote DUP who are disgusted by some of the quotes attributed to their MPs and MLAs and who want the massive advantage of access to 2 markets and who want Stormont up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is interesting. I am genuinely puzzled to know how support for Brexit comes to be regarded as a test of loyalty to the union. Even if there wasn't the tension between Brexit and the health of the union that I have already pointed (and that I think that tension has been plain to see pretty much from day 1) it seems to me that unionism should be in principle neutral about Brexit. If Brexit didn't itself undermine the union, a unionist should be able to support Brexit, or oppose Brexit, according to which policy he thinks will deliver the best results for the UK.

I get that, once the DUP has painted itself into a corner on this, it is difficult for them to face up to having made a mistake, and therefore its support for Brexit becomes entrenched. At that point support for Brexit might be a marker for loyalty to the DUP. But not loyalty to the unionist cause in general, or to the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It seems ‘no real change’ may be the most likely outcome of the election. Here’s a fact check on UI support. Nothing is changing either way. I suppose this could still be true while more move to alliance, but I don’t see a big increase for them coming anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

8 polls above the 40% mark. That is pretty incredible given there is no plan/white paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Unionism is definitely in a confused place. I think there is no stomach for widespread violence. There is also no widespread desire for the return of stormont. Unionism has to have an internal discussion and we have to jettison those who are putting party ahead of the union. As with that recent link I posted, unionism need have no fear of the people of ni suddenly giving up on the union - that clearly isn’t going to happen. Whilst is was a big supporter of elections a few months ago, I think elections now would just complicate matters (for unionists). We don’t need a party on party battle at this time. We need space to decide best how to move forward.

this is a good piece today by Ben Lowry, from a paper and a person who was fervently pro GFA. Unionism has a conundrum. We have to ensure open borders within the Uk, while at the same time ensuring we don’t drive any of the healthy support among ni people away from being strong supporters of the union. We must be careful not to do what the Ira and republicanism has patently failed to do over the past 50 years

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/ben-lowry-unionists-need-to-reject-the-windsor-framework-and-think-how-best-to-go-forward-4088601

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Downcow, I have read the article you linked to, in the News letter, by Ben Lowry.

It is the most depressing reading I have viewed for a long time. An editor of a once respected paper doing little more than castigate everyone for giving in to "SF Blackmail over the irish Language" . And wondering if the whole peace process was a mistake

"I do think it is worth considering a parallel universe in which the UK had continued to refuse to negotiate with terror, and wonder if in that scenario the Provisional IRA would long ago have dwindled to little more than the dissidents of today. But there would have been much less of the cross-border political advance of Sinn Fein."

He talks about the big question for unionism being "new divide within unionism is going to be between those who support Stormont and those who think it so bad for the Union that direct rule is better regardless of government threats of an increased say for Dublin".

But the big question for unionist is, and always has been, , "Are unionist willing to share NI with the wider community including nationalist and others, or do they insist on it being their way or no way"

To be honest, Ben Lowry, a once respected commentator, sounds more like a rabid loyalist terrorist, and we have had enough of them in the past

Post edited by rock22 on

Small wonder that Lowry's 'newspaper' readership has dwindled.

He lives in a sanitised Unionist bubble and routinely slants the facts to depict Unionism as blameless. The old victimhood complex in newsprint.

One of those slants is the idea that the 'British refused to negotiate' - they always negotiated, right through the conflict/war. This we know.

And 'an increased say for Dublin' is not a 'threat' it is already a reality.

It's sad that his opinions are not challenged by the likes of Nolan or the BBC, and typically lazy that RTE never challenge his so called 'journalism'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

All newspaper readership had dwindled as you say. Even you own An Phoblacht was a formerly weekly, and currently monthly "newspaper" published by Sinn Féin used to be hard copy, now it is only online only I think?

Incidentally the newsletter is the world's oldest English-language general daily newspaper still in publication, having first been printed in 1737. This is despite once being bombed by the PIRA, in 1972. " The paper reported at the time that "two false alarms were phoned in about another bomb just around the corner in Church Street; people were evacuated – towards the real bomb". It detonated at 11.58 am, three minutes after an accurate warning had been given about the bomb's whereabouts. Seven people died, and over 140 were injured (with some staff among the wounded). Nevertheless, the paper came out the next day."

Incredible history we have here in the island of Ireland, but most people are not even aware of half of it.

As someone else said one of the recurring motifs of the News Letter's editorial line today is to remind people of the scale of the paramilitary bloodshed during the Troubles. Not surprised you would prefer An Phoblocht than the Newsletter Francie.

Francis, did you ever live in Ireland.?

Are you aware of the deaths in the Dublin bombing. Caused by Loyalist terrorists supported by the UK forces?

Did you read Downcows link? Where Lowry wants us to imagine a history where there was no peace process ?

You seem to have a blind eye to certain terrorism, i.e. of the British kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Seeing as you ask, I have lived in Ireland my whole life. Not that it is relevant. I have always condemned all terrorism. The Dublin bombing was caused by extremist Loyalists. I do not believe it was "supported by UK forces" as those same UK forces caught and jailed so many thousands of those Loyalist paramilitaries. Anyway set up a separate thread on same if you want, please do not derail this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Dublin and Jonathan bombings did receive assistance from the security services.

Maybe read Don Mullans book for a clear description events.

Now lets get back to duscussing the Stormont election!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

I disagree with your analysis that a hard Brexit in which NI is treated in the same way as GB is not politically possible. It was possible just Brexiters weren’t willing to “walk the walk” to back up all their talk.

Unionists do have legitimate grounds to be upset at their treatment by Brexiters since the supposedly sacrosanct referendum result was that the UK would leave the EU, not that GB would leave with a hard Brexit and NI would end up in a Schrödinger’s situation where it’s simultaneously in and/or out of the EU depending on which quantum mechanics situation applies! :-)

Ultimately I suspect no matter what protocol formula is applied, they will all prove inadequate, that they will endanger Ireland’s position within the EU and that our government has been able incredibly shortsighted in the strategy they have pursued as the risk of a failed strategy far outweighs the pleasing fantasy of trying to keep pretending the international frontier on this island isn’t an international frontier.

Polls at 40% means the idea is going nowhere. It’s miles off meeting the criterion to hold a referendum and would require a gigantic swing to alter it.

In fact, such numbers aren’t that far off the result of the 73 referendum on the border where circa 57.5% of the total electorate voted for the union and the circa 42.5% remainder did not (either as a result of boycotting it on fairly spurious grounds or because they did go out and vote (for a United Ireland).

He is quite possibly right since there were a number of terrorist organisations which sprang up at the end of the 60s/start of the 70s across Europe. Most of them had their heydays in the mid 70s to mid 80s and then gradually petered out. Most of them jacking it all in in the early to mid 90s in the aftermath of the demise of the Soviet Union and it’s east European quasi- empire.

It’s all very well to be fanatical about “the cause” in your mid 20s but roll the clock foward a quarter of a century or more and “being on the run” isn’t going to hold much appeal. At that stage, reaching an agreement to abandon your existing strategy and hanging around long enough to collect your pension is always going to look more attractive.

Unionists do have legitimate grounds to be upset at their treatment by Brexiters since the supposedly sacrosanct referendum result was that the UK would leave the EU, not that GB would leave with a hard Brexit and NI would end up in a Schrödinger’s situation where it’s simultaneously in and/or out of the EU depending on which quantum mechanics situation applies! :-)

Why then did unionists vote for something that hadn't been thought through?

Why did unionists assume all would be rosy despite the "remoaners", the Irish, the EU and so many others telling them that this would cause problems?

Why did unionists listen to a party (the DUP) on a massively important issue when the party spent less than an hour deciding on which side to take?

Unionists do not have legitimate grounds for being upset at how the Brexiteers treated them. They are adukts and made their own mind up on what way to vote. If they did so without informing themselves on how the change would affect them, then that is completely on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep. Very fair point.

The Dinosaurs Under Protection (DUP) voted for the ice age and then complained when it got too cold.

Apparently, and contrary to popular opinion, there is still one dinosaur wandering the corridors of power in Stormont late at night...

#Theyneversauras

All perfectly legitimate questions and ones that should be directed to them (excepting the UUP and other moderate unionists who opposed Brexit).

Like many other Leave supporter in GB, the DUP and their voters seem to have placed their faith in the Brexit leadership and ignored the questionable claims they made and the obvious contradictions.

And, like it or not, the Brexit leadership were not promising a Schrödinger solution for NI at the time, so voters there do have grounds for complaint, since what the Brexit leadership has delivered is nothing like what they promised (for either part of the U.K.)

@Francis McM "I have always condemned all terrorism"

Not on boards you haven't. It is a constant stream of anti Irish posts, , equating Ireland and its symbols repeatedly with terrorism

Here are some quotes from you

suppose not helped by Republicans putting the tricolour on the coffins of IRA bombers who bombed Protestants.

Soldiers song as the National anthem, by the use of the tricolour (same flag as Republicans used on coffins of bombers whose aim was to kill protestants 

Many of those in Fermanagh have been victims of IRA violence and sectarianism, how do you expect them to react. Across Co Fermanagh, 

I do not think the Tricolour is very inclusive of representing northern Protestants, when Republicans used the flag to drape coffins of bombers whose aim was to kill northern Protestants

Can you point to anywhere where you condemned British or Loyalist terrorism?

And don't tell me not to take the thread off topic. As you can see from the quotes above, you are constantly taking it off topic. I am only responding to your own posts. (and that is not to mention your posts over a few pages around Rugby ) . We were discussing Ben Lowry's article in the Newsletter , linked to by downcow. You decided to use that as another opportunity to talk about the PIRA.

I have seen people from both sides killed by terrorist and I condemn it all. But I am not so blinded as to the roles of politicians in encouraging terrorism. Living in Derry in the 60's and being terrorised by your own police force and army is hard to imagine. It is the thing of nightmares. But that is what happened.

True, whether you ever lived in Ireland was irrelevant. But I never met anyone who did live in this country for any length of time to be so unaware of loyalist and British terrorism on this island in the three decades from 1966

Post edited by rock22 on

I disagree.

Firstly there is no set 'criterion' as British courts found in the McCord challenge. The SoS can call one at any time and does not have to present evidence for his/her decision.

And a referendum was called in Scotland when support for independence was only at 32%. That campaign was able to grow support dramatically once there was a White Paper.

The 73 ref is referenced by nobody these days such a sham was it.

It's because Brexiters weren't willing to "walk the walk" and have a crash-out Brexit that a hard Brexit on uniform terms across the UK wasn't politically possible. It was legally possible, but it would have involved the UK paying an economic, political and diplomatic price which no UK government, not even one dependent on hard Brexiters for continuance in office, regarded as acceptable. Even now, it's not legally possible but it is still practically possible — the UK government could repudiate the WA and the TCA and apply the laws in force in England to NI as well — but it's unthinkable that they would do that, for the same reason.

if your proposal is that Ireland should simply have accepted a hard border between NI and IRL — no, that's mad, Ted. One of the few things that was accepted at all times by everyone on all sides who wasn't psychotically deluded was that a hard NI/IRL border wasn't a workable or acceptable model of Brexit.

• Advertisement

I get that unionists don’t want any kind of hardening of the GB/NI trade border. I think an open GB/NI border is a perfectly reasonable thing to want and unionists shouldn’t feel shy about agitating for it. 

What’s not reasonable is to do that while simultaneously demanding or supporting hard Brexit because, whether you’re explicit about it or not, that’s an effective demand for a hard IRL/NI border, which I think would be much, much worse for NI.

I also think it’s a profoundly anti-GFA position to hold since it effectively opposes Irish feelings about the IRL/NI border and British feelings about the NI/GB border. It takes it as a given that one must yield to the other. This is fundamentally at variance with the shared space/parity of esteem principles and thinking which underlie the GFA. (I not in passing that it’s a position largely adopted by unionists who never liked the GFA and would be pleased to see it undermined.)

I also think that, tactically, it’s a serious error for unionism. British-identifying people are no longer a majority in NI; the union needs the support of the middle ground whose primary or sole identity is NI. A unionist position which treats British and Irish wishes/interests for NI as irreconcilable, calls for a Brexit in which they must conflict, demands that British wishes/interests be indulged at the expense of Irish wishes/interests, and wants to see the GFA undermined is going to be deeply unappealing to the very people whose support the union needs most.  

I'm only seeing now that Joe Biden told the NI party leaders that the US was wanting to triple investment in the region if power sharing is restored. Despite Donaldson stating that what Biden had to say "doesn’t change the political dynamic in Northern Ireland", will the DUP reconsider or will they squander the opportunity?

That's a rhetorical question, presumably. Famously, the DUP will never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I find it incredible that Sunak showed himself to be completely powerless in NI, just meeting Biden at the bottom of the steps on Air Force One, in the pouring rain, and later left sitting with a cold latte waiting to talk to him at a small café table - with not even a croissant.

He could not do more for fear of upsetting the DUP, or SF, or the Irish Gov.

What a shocking display of powerlessness, and a massive missed opportunity of displaying the 'special relationship' often quoted by UK Gov sources.

Biden bathed in spring sunshine on his visit to see Michael D. What a contrast.

The footage of Sunak and Biden drinking coffee has to be one of the most awkward meetings of two supposedly friendly leaders ever seen.

and later left sitting with a cold latte 

SKY News described the event as follows "Apparently ignored by Mr Biden, he at one point resorted to sipping from what looked like an empty tea cup."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Donaldson has claimed in a sky interview Biden didn't ask him to return the DUP to power sharing which has to be an absolute fvcking lie

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably "true" in so far as that exact wording wasn't used.

Peter Donaghy's seat predictions for the Local Elections.

• Advertisement

That shows a more towards more beligerent unionism. Not good for NI!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement