Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Power for Router

Options
  • 01-04-2023 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I have Vodafone fibre to the home. We had a power cut & it was frustrating to lose the internet. Both the router & the Huawei fibre box use 12 volt & I have a supply of 12 volt power tool batteries with a barrel style dc connector. I was going to simply get ( or make up) 2 leads to easily connect the internet during a power failure but the Huawei fiber box has a different type of dc connector & I can't find ones like it online.

Is there any easier way of providing power during an outage ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I never actually use them but I have 12V cables made up myself and even put barrel connectors on a UPS. There are two main sizes of barrel connector that are commonly used (and loads of less common ones) 5.5mm x 2.5 and 5.5mm x 2.1 mm. If your power cables are figure of 8 2 core, ie you can see separate strands then a pack of these will allow you to cut the cables and re-join them and make up some separate cables you can connect that go to the battery or join back up for mains use. If you have cables that are round then its a little more problematic as often the neutral is a shield around a very thin core which makes those connectors a less elegant solution.

However a hunt on Amazon will find almost any type of connector you require.

There are some dedicated devices but I'm not convinced they will keep a router up for very long example https://www.amazon.co.uk/TalentCell-Uninterrupted-27000mAh-Wireless-Smartphone/dp/B08FBB4Q8V/ but of course there's the battery postage issue.

If you can find a way of measuring the connector that you can't source give post up a picture and as much as you can of the dimension, diameter of the male plug, depth and if possible the all important internal diameter of the hole in the end. If I have one in my (embarrassingly) extensive collection of junk leads I'll post it out to you.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks. Outside diameter is 5.5mm but the inside is very difficult to measure as you can see.

I am thinking that it would be easier to cut & join the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Second hand UPS would do the trick, Can be picked up handy enough on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

That looks a lot like 5.5mm x 2.1mm to me. Going through what I have to hand here 2.1mm certainly looks like the closest. Then googling for replacements gives Amazon and others selling Huawei psu's with 5.5mm x 2.1mm connectors.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would second the off the shelf ups option. They can also power things like laptop psu so you can start saving files and letting others know you may be offline soon. They beep to let you know you have a power issue too.

Beware even if you power your home side of things it's highly likely somewhere down the line on the internet link will also have lost power so your internet may still not work. The other end of the fibre needs power too along with everything on the way.

I typically use mobile phone internet when main internet goes down .

• Advertisement
Advertisement