Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Spouting cliched gibberish like "avocado toast" being the reason that younger folk are finding owning a home a pipdream isn't "discussion". It's just bollocks. There's no two ways about it.

That kind of nonsense arises every time in these discussions, and always from a certain quarter.

Making sensible points in a discussion is fine, even if they're disagreeable. Repeating cliched nonsense, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Just because someone uses "avocado toast" as a description doesn't change the fact that some of the 20-30 don't have the same value for money that other generations have had. Ask them about saving and they have no idea how to save.

I am not saying that we don't have a issue with housing in Ireland at the moment, we need more units and as I said already the best way to resolve this is building apartments which will give more units per acre and for a 20-30 year old they don't need a 3-4 bed house for the majority of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The younger folk that I know save what they can, after their rent, bills and food takes a huge chunk out of their wages every month. They have no hope of even thinking about buying and it remains something merely might happen if they're lucky.

It isn't about "avocado toast", or "iced frappaccinos" or any other junk talk. It's the cost of living, coupled with and out of control rental and house prices and a government that couldn't care less that prevents them from getting a foot on the ladder.

You and the others on here can salve your position all you want with silly cliches and makey uppy stories. But it doesn't apply to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Oh there smokes, jars, lotto, foreign holidays, nights out in coppers needed as well for young people’s mental health to be cared for !

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bannedboyband

There will be laws in place that you will follow to rule these scenarios out. You'll say you won't follow them but you will like you did the ban.

• Advertisement

Yes and they are not helped by bad tenants been able to sit in house and not pay rent. With county councils not collecting rent which is also affecting the housing supply

Along with housing supply itself.

You just posted a "makey uppy story" by the way 🤣

You would expect to see FTBs hoovering up new stock/apartments etc and not buying what you would expect are second hand homes. Normally an older home would be bigger because the building regulations have changed to allow for smaller homes so maybe they want to buy bigger homes than those available new? just a guess and could be wrong.

The myth that all new homes are been bought up by LA or by vulture fund is incorrect, I seen before someone done an analysis and of the new units that came to market the majority by a significant percentage was bought by people looking to live in.

The main problem Ireland has is supply at the moment, that will resolve most of our issues.

What isn't helping is the obsession to build houses instead or apartments in cities and what our biggest issue is the rejection of housing. This is been done across the country and normally has a TD stuck in the middle of it. I am including all parties in this in case someone goes off on a tangent like before.

Every party should not be blocking building, if the buildings are not fit for the area then planning will deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

for fcuk sake, are some 'adults' still believing in this sh1t! we have fcuked up our property markets by continually implementing polices whos main goal has been to keep inflating the value of assets such as property, it has failed, i.e. its got fcuk all to do with the younger generations decisions, it has been our decisions, i.e. older generations decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

Conspiracy theory nonsense.

you seriously think the decision makers are happy with the current situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The FFG landlords you mean?

Great discussion on Radio 1 about the eviction ban. The government completed exposed and their "safety net" waffle has no substance.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The homeless figures are already a disgrace. FFG have somehow normalised it because people aren't shocked anymore and the FFG loyalists couldn't care less.

It is absolutely guaranteed that the homeless figures will get worse and worse over the next 12 months. Whether the government can spoof their way out of this crisis in time for the local elections remains to be seen. Robert Troy and his colleagues must be happy and that's the important thing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

But are there other reasons for FTBs apparent preference for 2nd hand homes?

Really?? You honestly have no idea why someone would buy a secondhand anything compared to buying new??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I will give an example of the change in discressonary spending over the last 25 years.

This was about the start of the take away tea and coffee in shops mostly in fuel stations. Back when they started to appear it was only one shop in a locality. Most villages did not have one. They tended not to be extremely busy and were single priced units

Now they have changed unusual to see only one tea)m/coffee station in a shop. Most have multiple units it even some shops have 3-4 units. There is multiple prices for different beverage and within beverages.

About 5 years ago a friend said a fairly busy coffee station would generate about 250k in sales. Just think about that the next time you walk into a shop. That was 5 years ago. It's probably nearer 350k for a fairly busy unit. 400k for a busy unit.

Shops with multiple units are obviously very busy so ,400k in turnover per year. These shops owners are p!SSing on themselves over the new cup levy as with ''foreve takeaway'' cups they will only be a single charge.

Takeaway coffee is costing people a grand a year or two grand for a couple.

Was in Dublin last week on Wednesday. Met my son who works up there in Searsons. Just barely got a table at 1.15pm. The place was fairly full. You can presume the drop will be 15/person on average.

Everybody now who rents as a young person has a room to themselves. This has added cost to renting. There is no doubt there is a shortage of houses however it an easy cop out to blame the ''gubberment'' and quote FFG as an excuse for not taking some of the responsibility yourself.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,468 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Very low numbers at that protest today. Maybe a few hundred if even.

The public don't care about homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,468 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eoin O'Broin has linked Gardai with the Famine evictions in a tweet today.

This fela should not be allowed serve in government if Sinn Fein get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

they would likely try demand that he be minister for justice.

not every organised crime gang can have its own police force after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Not really, life is for living. You could be gone tomorrow.

But Even if people had 50k in the bank & a salary of 50k a year you still can’t afford anything at the moment & houses just aren’t there.

It’s hard to buy when your competing against other people, councils, vulture funds & NGO’s etc. The whole thing is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

It was ever thus.

Houses are there. Just look at the number of new mortgages taken out. Quoted above, I think.

When you say “Life is for living “, I agree, but again, priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Terrible turn out for the protest today. (Seems odd to protest at a Parliament on a day its closed, but there we are)

About 900 from the CoLC menagerie turned up it seems, just to listen to themselves. Such an echo chamber indeed that when Ivana Bacik turned up and asked to speak, she was refused. Democracy eh?

Thats the end of the eviction ban issue so, normal property rights and normal conditions for no-fault evictions again apply.

The Government now needs to focus very hard on making small landlord holding an attractive proposition, for the good of all and for a healthy market.

• Advertisement

There was never a time in Dublin where a single person on the average industrial wage could afford a house except for that period in the noughties where 6X mortgages were in play and for a period after the property crash

Slava Ukrainii

there is a small bit of truth in people have no respect for money these days I agree, why would they when they could go to the council with a sop story a few year’s ago & be given keys of a new build apartment .

But Not many houses hitting the market where I am lad, whatever is there is beyond our price range & anything in price range is gone in a few weeks.

Don’t need to look at mortgages drawn I’m going by what I’m seeing with my own 2 eyes.

people can enjoy themselves & still save a few bob every week

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Yeah life is for living. Stuff your head with avocado toast and Frappuccinos every day, do your lotto and smoke your fags, go to Coppers at the weekend to chase bogger nurses and have your holiday on Marbs and shopping trip to NY but stop whinging when you can’t afford to buy a house cos you know where your money has gone….yeah…living life….

Speaking of the lotto,a bit behind a lad in his late 20's today he left about 20+ euro on lotto in a shop.

Slava Ukrainii

I don’t do any of that stuff & still can’t afford or find a place.

Maybe if people weren’t taxed to death on everything & if overtime in jobs wasn’t taxed to death things would be a bit more productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Filled the jeep of diesel. It cost 65.02 paid 65 euro cash. Every 2 cent counts with rounding. Was passing that fuel station and it cheaper than the average down here.

Mind you I do not have to worry about discressonary spending as I own my own house. Still old habits die hard

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Yeh sure there isn't a housing problem at all at all. If only those young 'uns would stop whinging and get on with paying half a mil for a brand new A rated dogbox with a small enclosed space out the back for their wheelie bin. They don't know that their born ffs.

Advertisement