Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Did you look it up? It does support fast charging.

The Pixel 6a usually charges from 0 to 100% in around 1 hour and 52 minutes. The Pixel 6a supports up to 18W of wired fast charging speed

If you install Ampere you will see what current you get when charging. The Xiaomi charger should be good enough. Check different USB cables. The fatter the better. If its an old cable, thats been bent a lot, it might no longer be able to do the full charger.

I get faster charging speeds on the Pixel Phone from our Xiaomi (33w) charger than our (18W) Pixel one. But it not as quick our Xiaomi phone which supports 33W. The Pixel only supports 18W.

I know my Pixel some times very rarely goes into a slow charging mode. Rebooting it get it back to full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks!

Yeah it's not as bad as I thought. Nearly charged now on 22.5w charger. Just thought it might not have fast charging but as you say it's max is probably 18w.

Might buy an 18w one on Amazon to try it out and have as a spare if the Xiaomi ones are charging it better.

Edit: @Flinty997 - I downloaded that app you mentioned and it says it's charging at 1280 mA. Upon googling conversion that's only 1.28w which is fairly slow?

Is that with a decent USB cable?

Just checked with my 18w and the 6a is getting 2100mA. But it's at 87% and it slows down at it gets closer to 100%.

My 4a5G is getting 3400mA on the same charger because it's only 50%. On the Xiaomi charger I'm getting 3690mA.

I know these are with decent USB cables though. And your Xiaomi charger is different to mine.

There are load of different fast charging standards. The charger and the phone have to the same standard to get the best specs. I've bought a few chargers from Amazon that claim to be fast chargers but aren't.

But bad cables play a part in it.

The USB cable seems fine. Not bent or anything.

I read online the fast chargers for pixels work better when it's USB-C to USB-C whereas the chargers I have are USB-C to USB-A to the actual plug.

I'll order a plug from Amazon with a USB-C port and then use the USB-C cable that came with the phone.

Also when I was using the app for measuring the mA the charge was at 80% so maybe that's why it had lowered!

I've never found the type of cable makes a difference just the quality. You won't know if it's 100% by looking at it. Only by testing.

The cable I got the highest current on tonight is USB-A to USB-C. It's noticably thicker than cheap cables. This one came with the Xiaomi phone. The Pixel cables are decent though.

You're really looking for the thickest shortest cable.

• Advertisement

Get a decent case. Very easy to crack the screens on pixels imo.

Thanks @Flinty997 for all the tips.

Case is on the way but it's just a cheap one from Amazon so maybe I'll get a better one soon.

Ordered this also so I'll try it with the USB-C to USB-C Google cables that came with the phone and hopefully it's fast charging so I have that option too. Very annoying you don't get a plug!

Still, for 249.99 it's a great price for the phone, the camera seems great with the OIS (the Xiaomi didn't have that, so even though it had 108mp it's not as good camera wise, no 5g on the Xiaomi I had either).

The Xiaomi we have has the 108 and OIS. It can take some great photos some of the time. But the pixel takes better photos almost all the time. Especially in bad light. For the price the camera is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ConorC1

Any recommendations? Could save me some googling

Usually something like Spigen. But getting decent cases for Android phones, and pixels is quite hard. Lot of cheap rubbish out there. A lot of the decent ones aren't available in Ireland. The one I got for the 6a is quite girly. The ones I got for earlier pixels are no longer available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

Looking at buying the pixel 6a. I see vodafone are doing it for 249euro but its out of stock. Any ideas where I can get for similar price? Googling im getting 320 euro or more. I'm with eir prepay and want to stick with them. Don't mind getting the pixel unlocked if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

Pixel won't be locked. But for the last few years VF has been the cheapest retailer of the Pixel A series. Hopefully they will get more stock prior to sale ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I was told by one of the staff that they were end of line... That was a couple of weeks ago. Some shops had one unit at the time, some had none...

Pixel 6a is still in production as the 7a is still yet to be released. 6a was only released in the middle of last year and was August before we started seeing orders shipped, so it will be on sale for some time to come. Whether VF get more stock in is anyones guess really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Waiting on Vodafone to get it back in stock. They sell it for 299 but will reduce it to 249 if you switch to them. I have no plan on switching provider but to get this extra discount do they simply just give ypuna vodafone sim card and a pixel that is possibly locked. I'd just dump the vodafone sim card and get the phone unlocked in a non vodafone shop??? I presume if its locked vodafone wouldn't unlock it straight away for me as I got that discount???

You'll have to buy a 3 sim for €10-20, then buy €20 of Vodafone credit to get the offer, I decided the hassle was worth a tenner and I just paid the €299

Yea its sounding like a bit of hassle. I'm with eir already so wouldn't need to buy. Getting the unlocked will prob bring the price up anyway to 299.

They come unlocked... At least mine did

Vodafone omni shopping centre told me today they won't get it back in stock as the phone has been discontinued and was also recalled.

• Advertisement

Pixel 6A back in stock at Vodafone for €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

7a out on the 10th. Keep an eye on VF for good "porting" deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

€519.99 payg on Vodafone with free Pixel A buds - €10 more expensive than the Irish Google Store. No "deals" yet by the looks of things

Pixel Buds A Series offer is also available on irish Google store.

Just created a separate thread for Pixel 7a here

Yeah, usually pop up within a couple of weeks of release.

Same deal can be had on Google Store i.e. freee Pixel Buds A-Series for €509

6A now at 199!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got a 6a, great phone but really slow charge. I was using an old usb cable and generic plug and getting 1000 ma. I then tried using the cable that came with it and plugged into my work docking station getting 1900ma. Finally tried the cable with my wife's pixel 3a plug and it's at 2900ma which is probably the most I'm going to get? Looks like I'll have to buy one of those plugs unless better recommendation?

Also, I really miss the notification led. I tried an app notifybuddy but it doesn't work half the time.

I actually miss my OnePlus 3 phone even though it was ancient, it was the best phone I had but the new OnePlus phones are mad money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Got the 6a in Vodafone tallaght today for €199 and didn't need to buy credit. Using it on my Eir sim with no issues.

Advertisement