Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

So, do you reckon that the choices Ukraine have made as a nation have brought them "peace freedom and prosperity" ??

Because I'm sorry, but the evidence I see points to the complete opposite. The choices they've made, have been a complete disaster!

They're on track to lose a giant chunk of their nation - including the economic/industrial heartland. They will very likely end up being a much smaller landlocked rump state. All the death and human misery they have endured and will continue to endure in the post war period. And to top it all off, Russia will keep them under an even shorter leash for the next few generations than was the case before the war. No EU, no NATO, no western influence of any kind... they will become a very quiet and very well behaved subservient client state of the Russian federation for the foreseeable future!

The nation we knew as Ukraine before this war, is gone forever. They will still exist in some form of course, but nothing remotely like what they were pre-war. That's what happens when you put yourself in the middle of a game of tug-of-war between two rival powers. Your nation gets ripped to shreds. The American imperialists don't really give a damn about Ukraine... it's all about their own geopolitical position in the world. That's why they're quite content to smash Ukraine into a thousand pieces in some forlorn attempt to weaken Russia. (and watch out Taiwan, because you'll be next on the chopping block)

But of course, the western propaganda merchants will keep shovelling the same BS for as long as they can get away with it... and will hope you guys keep swallowing it. And I have no doubt that many of you will. Some of you guys seem to really enjoy the taste of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

The future you predict for Ukraine sounds more like the future it would have if it did not resist Russia and chose to submit.

I came across this piece to-day:

These people show us how to do transport infrastructure. When this war is over we should hire a few Ukrainian advisors!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How disgusting Ukraine would wish to lean towards a bloc of wealthy, peaceful nations, rather than the former colonial ruler that had literally starved them to death through famine.

It's clearly propaganda and Empire Games from the Big Bad America once again. Only logical explanation, really. Who'd wanna have anything to do with the world's most peaceful political region? Willingly?? Pffh.

The loop-de-loop logic is beyond parody really, and beyond obscene that some would try to legitimately argue Ukraine take a different path beyond defending itself from a pretty inarguable invasion and attack on its civilians.

It's particular nonsense to suggest "The nation we knew as Ukraine before this war, is gone forever" given Moscow attempted to achieve that exact goal within days of the invasion starting. Lots of pompous talk apparently forgetting this thorny detail.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If I go to the gym 4 days a week, eat well and dont drink or smoke but then get stabbed by a maniac and die, you could say that Im not in a healthy way. It doesnt follow that clean living is wrong, the problem is the maniac with the knife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well, you are right about one thing anyway Run, Ukraine will never again be like it was before Putin stupidly invaded. They will not lose any of their territory, in fact they will emerge bigger having recovered Crimea. And Russia will exercise absolutely no control over Ukraine, never mind your "Short Leash". if they never join the EU or NATO, they will become a military and economic power in their own right, one that Russia will not even think about bothering again, let alone invading. But the fact is, they will join both the EU and NATO, and in the not too distant future either. As for the economic/industrial heartland issue. During the USSR days, quite a lot of the "brains" behind the Russian achievements were Ukrainian. A fact that will have more and more impact on what's left of Putin's Russia after the war. Matter of fact, the future you described for Ukraine, could well be applied to Putins Russia. Tell me Run, do you see anything positive about the west/US/UK/ EU etc? Because if you do, you are making a great job of hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Hope your post was some weird. April fool's Day joke, but I'm sorry to burst your bubble. Ukraine won't be getting into the EU for a long time. No one wants to adopt a new bankrupt and deeply corrupt nation who's remaining young men will most likely emigrate, given the first opportunity and end up as a burden on other states although with the way things are going, doesn't look like they will have that many young men left by the time the fighting stops and a peace agreement.

Sorry but looks like Crimea is never going back to Ukraine to be honest, the Russians with stupid to give it away in the first place considering it is a vital port for the Russian Navy.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

And another joker, 55 posts, and a Red Star icon...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Invasion aside, Ukraine is notoriously corrupt. The EU is suppose to have standards for applicants. Are you suggesting those be diminished because a country was invaded? Like it or not, it will be many decades before Ukraine is eligible based on the EU's own procedures for joining and standards of governance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not suggesting anything about joining the EU. I'm saying that a country wanting to look West for its future - which at the very least would involve cultural or economic trade - is not automatically because of shenanigans or American interference. Am sick of parachutist posters coming along smugly playing the anti-West card; like living in a peaceful democracy is some kind of terrible curse.

Said it before but it's an ironicly Western bout of hubris to think Ukraine doesn't have any agency of its own here. Surprisingly, some countries actually want to be free and prosperous within a union, informal or otherwise. They don't need to be fully within the EU for that to happen.

• Advertisement

I think Ukraine will eventually prevail, but I'd have to say Crimea doesn't seem like a likely goal at this point. I daresay even Kyiv itself hasn't got its sights on there - not until the land stolen from Feb+ 22 is back in Ukrainian hands. Slowly slowly, etc

And even after that, my resting suspicion has been the allies will have quiet words to be happy with restoring the status quo of January 2022; Crimea has had time to fortify aside from the years in Russian hands. Committing troops to assaulting that peninsula, perhaps better suited to an air or naval assault - two aspects Ukraine doesn't really have - mightn't get support from a population just glad to have won the war.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Maybe it will be like that, but at the moment at any rate, its the stated goal of the Ukrainian Govt. Personally, I believe that they will get Crimea back, but its a question of time. If ( and it seems very likely now) they will at least get the Russian's back to the pre-invasion lines ( and that includes all the so called " Russian Territories" Putin arbitrarily annexed ) then they will be able to focus on Crimea, and Russia will have to keep a strong military presence there to hold it. So you will have a couple of things converging, a weakening Russia V strenghtening Ukraine, an ailing Russian leader ( Putin is already elderly, by Russian standards, and is in bad health) so his time is ticking. That brings us to the worsening economic situation in Russia. Holding a country that does not want to be held, is extremely difficult in the best of circumstances. Ten years of occupation of Afghanistan brought Russia to the brink of bankruptcy, and was one of the main reasons for them pulling out. The military losses played the main part of course, but the economics of the war was the final straw. I could see Crimea being the same as Afghanistan.

All of the ex-USSR states were notoriously corrupt because the Russians who were in control were 100% corrupt, but after they left and became independent, joined NATO and the EU, freed from Russian influence, they started to eliminate the corruption, to the benefit of everyone, and now for them, there's no going back to the old days. Ukraine, since Maidan is following the same path. And as time goes on, and Russian influence diminishes, the more the corruption will be eliminated. Just another reason why the evil Russian influence throughout the world has to be eliminated. But Ukraine will be accepted into the EU, and in the not too distant future, and also 100%, they will join NATO. and play a very important part in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Russia has invaded Ukraine in no small part because they have taken big strides to address the corruption that is a legacy of their Soviet occupation.

They are still a distance away from qualifying for EU membership, but they are working on it in a way that many applicant states are not. I expect them to make big strides in that direction over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But they have made huge strides when it comes to corruption which is tied directly to soviet era hangovers,it's the biggest excuse why ukraine shouldn't were told but in the majority of cases nobody can show where all this corruption is taking place

@Run Forest Run They're on track to lose a giant chunk of their nation - including the economic/industrial heartland. They will very likely end up being a much smaller landlocked rump state. All the death and human misery they have endured and will continue to endure in the post war period. And to top it all off, Russia will keep them under an even shorter leash for the next few generations than was the case before the war. ..

Nonsense, Russia has occupied 16% of the country for the last 12 months,but that's going to rapidly change once the Ukrainian Counter offensive begins , Russia will lose it all including Crimea, they are already in panic mode building WW2 era defenses to try keep the Ukrainians out but that not going to do much with the amount of western armor and tanks coming their way,as we already have seen in karkhiv and Kherson the Russian prefer to run than actually fight the Ukrainans, cowards nothing more

The rest of your post is pure waffle from the looney bin ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Big congratulations to Putin who've now managed to DOUBLE the length of the Russian border with Nato countries as Finland has been accepted as a full Nato member. That was the intended goal, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There will be a forum to discuss our defence and neutrality stance this June. I know it’s not really important when it comes to the thread but it is all connected.

I just hope some positivity comes out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Is that the citizens forum?. I think that it MUCH more important for it to be dupiscussing that issue rather than discussing the changing of the constitution re womens place or otherwise in the home/society at large

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think a woman's place in the home is second to a right to have a home.

At least, security of tenure should be in the constitution - what did Davit and the Land League fight for?

I wee the dreadful Roger Cole is being given space by the Irish Times again:

I love his reference to "the horrific war now raging between Russia and Nato in the Ukraine". You just gave the game away Roger. Another useless idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If Ukraine can get to the coast, as outlined above, they can cut the Crimean land bridge and establish fire control over the Kersch bridge, making resupplying Crimea impossible, and perhaps forcing a Russian withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would put the remainder of Russia's under significantly more pressure. It will be interesting to see if the US will loosen the restrictions on Ukraine striking targets in Russian territory. A surprise attack on regional airfields for example, to limit Russia's use of tactical aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Discussion of 7 to 1 kill ratio here from leak in Russia's favour.

I really don't know how Ukraine can hope to defeat a bigger better armed enemy.

I must be missing something significant. Most of what I've read recently is about a stalemate and a war of attrition. I don't understand how the continuing death and destruction helps Ukraine.

I watched Michael Parenti discussing the role of the USA in the 20th century.

I was extremely upset when the peace deal was scrapped in April 2022. Contrary to posters here, I don't see Ukraine getting the oblasts back that it lost.

I think if you care for the people of Ukraine, peace and diplomacy are the way forward not uranium depleted shells that have an insanely long half and would be an environmental disaster.

Listen to Parenti describe US influence and look again at what they have fomented in Ukraine. This does not mean Russia is good rather it points to two competing dangerous nuclear powered nations with Ukraine getting pummeled in the middle.

Bollix pure Kremlin propaganda nothing else ,

What peace deal are you taking about there was no peace deal in April

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The 7 to 1 kill ratio that was being talked about was in Ukraine's favour in certain battles. If you have seen documents showing a 7 to 1 kill ratio in Russia's favour, those are doctored Russian documents purporting to be US ones. If you think I am wrong in this matter, please provide the actual source for your claim and I don't mean a rambling video or article.

There no peace deal 'scrapped' in April 2022, and it's complete misrepresentation to present the tentative discussions as some sort of tangible peace deal. There was no peace deal because nobody (Ukraine, US, UK) trusted Russia to stick to any agreement given how many previous agreements such as Budapest they had broken. Plus Zelensky had no mandate to trade territory for peace with an untrustworthy and unreliable Russia.

Russia are using uranium depleted shells already. Another complete misrepresentation.

You are missing something significant because you are only getting news from pro-Russian or anti-West (aka anti-war) sources. Therefore your post is a repetition of Russian propaganda, lies, and half truths.

There is only one country which fomented this war and it is Russia. The evidence to this is all over the thread- go back to where Russia started violating Budapest agreement and interfering in Ukraine, it was when Ukraine considered signing a treaty with the EU. Without the US there would be no war, because Ukraine would have fallen to Russia and it would have been massacres instead. Bucha writ large.

It is why country after country such as Poland, Baltic States etc joined NATO, because Russia gave them no other choice if they wanted to be free of Russian dominion. The only protection was with NATO.

Ukraine knows better than we do what the stakes are, what they can handle.

Nobody in the West is forcing them to fight - it is Russia that forces them to fight.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

“——- Propaganda, lies and half truths “. You forget to mention the half lies also

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

As a relative said last year there is propaganda on both sides. We get the western propaganda etc.

Here's a pretty good article on the peace deal that was scrapped. It was basically no to NATO.

it was reported in the Ukrainian Pravda at the time too.

Over a year on and over a hundred thousand dead. The US has brought death and destruction across the world. It's hard to say who is worse internationally USA or Russia. I think American TV is better🙌

What do you think would have happened if we joined an anti UK military alliance, had a nationalist coup against a UK friendly government, banned English in public and our military (not terrorists) engaged in a bombing campaign against Northern Ireland? I'm not saying Ukraine is wrong to want Donbas and Crimea back. I'm saying what do you think would have happened?

The lack of self awareness displayed here is astonishing. Personally, I haven't looked at a single war snuff movie. That's the only thing I can think that the people here have been radicalised to such a degree that political awareness and objectivity has vanished.

As I said in April last year, we should be pushing for a diplomatic solution like Sabine Higgins proposed. The war mongering is causing the destruction of Ukraine and surely the last thing future generations of Ukraine want is a radioactive wasteland.

Stop the war☮️

• Advertisement

Pure garbage,

There was no peace deal ,it was nothing more than a delaying tactic so Russia could get their forces in place, Russia was always going to invade matter what anti West opinions you may hold,and if you think Putin would have stopped at the borders of Ukraine your sorely mistaken,

I love these low level posters who want peace as long as it only involves Russia winning

Advertisement