Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It was mentioned here that AJ looks like he just doesn’t want it. It looks like he’s under pressure to be in the spotlight performing. His whole demeanour and body language in the ring looks like his head and heart are elsewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I'd actually fancy Wardley to knock out AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Been saying it with years, aj was always a manufactured hype job, admittedly its poor era for heavyweight boxing but he has beat nobody of note bar an aging wlad. Fought 2 good boxers, ruiz an usyk, lost to both, ruiz if he didnt go on world tour partying would have beat aj in fight 2. Hearn must be thinking that 100m deal with aj is the worst decision he has ever made. Hope fury doesnt give aj a pay day unless he demands 80:20 or something crazy to soften hearns cough. Fury and usyk need to fight and fury should just retire then, he doesnt need aj in any way shape or form for legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fell asleep after 6 rounds.

Is it safe to assume I missed nothing?

Actually, last half fight was much better, albeit still not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

An 80:20 split is ridiculous. Aj is a bigger draw than Fury. The two AJ vs Usky fights brought in a bigger purse than the 3 Fury Vs Wilder fights, the Fury vs White fight and Fury vs Chisora fight put together.

Fury is a much better fighter than AJ but AJ's fought some better opponents. Who did fury fight?? Wlad, Wilder 3 timed and Chisora 3 times. Also White too. Not too impressive. Fury barely fought anyone in the top 10.

On the pay day: AJ has been getting huge paydays years now. I doubt AJ is sitting at home hoping so much that Fury gives him a payday. AJ is obscenely wealthy already from his own paydays. AJ and Fury together, name-wise, British-wise, hype-wise make for THE huge payday. Makes perfect sense for Fury. If it’s such an easy fight, he will know how much he can make from it..no need at all for 80-20 offers, which will simply collapse the fight and collapse a monstrous payday

Post edited by walshb on

Fury has fought 2 better opponents then aj at the top level, a younger wlad in his backyard and wilder 3 times the hardest puncher in heavyweight history according to the stats, 1 time after ballooning up to 27st. All the other fights, Charles martin etc, load of bolix, poor era for heavyweights but fury has fought and beat 2 of the top guys in the era. Would you think aj would go to America and fight wilder? I dont believe aj is the bigger draw anymore either, couple of years ago yes he was.

I doubt you would even give aj much chance against fury now, a few years ago in reckon you would have been confident aj would beat fury.

Yes. Fury be a favorite no doubt. I’d give AJ slim to moderate chance only. My point is more payday and hype and size of fight. Both men will make this a monstrous payday.

Fury would be very foolish to scupper it by deliberately asking for 80-20 knowing it won’t work. It makes perfect logical/financial sense for Fury (if he really thinks this is an easy fight) to work with AJ and Hearn to make it happen.

• Advertisement

The stats don’t say who is the “hardest” puncher in HW history. They simply give a record of KOs/TKOs. Nobody can definitively say which HW hits hardest of them all. There’s an awful lot more (than just boxrec) when discussing who one “believes” to be hardest HW hitter ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm just shocked about how many people watched the fight. I didn't because it was clear to me that it was going to be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Takes me circa 45 mins to do my physio stretches every night. Even a sH*t boxing match is actually nice as I roll around the floor , bored as f**k

All we really have to go on is ko%, wilders is at the top for heavyweights. Can argue until the cows come home but is fruitless, i have my opinion that wilder is and others wont agree which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

interesting points from gman, not sure if anyone around these parts watch him

The internet isn’t for everyone

Just an idiot, lomachenko said he was strong, so he was disrespected because he is African. Clown of a lad.

I got texts from somewhere between eight and ten people all saying the fight was awful, not much happening etc. These people aren't doing physio stretches.

I'd only get texts from another two or so during a big fight like a Fury, Usyk Vs Brit, AJ as champ or a Katie one.

I wouldn't get as many texts about a Joe Joyce fight sadly.

Fury Vs Joyce is the fight I want to see happen. I suspect neither AJ nor Fury want anything to do with Joe.

The landscape is thin. What has Fury got? He ducked Usyk. Where now? Joyce is fight I’d like to see, or v AJ.

Usyk? Fury fight gone for now. Dubois next it seems. Joke that one.

AJ? Whyte looks next. Absolute joke as well. Fury-AJ late summer early autumn is much much better.

Wilder? V AJ would be tasty: and then we have the likes of Parker and Ruiz.

Just a disappointing scene altogether.

1:usyk-fury

2.Aj:/wilder/joyce

3:joyce v fury/usyk/ruiz

4:wilder/ruiz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sorry what now, apart from losing twice to usyk who are these top calibre opponents on ajs resume that aren't on fury's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Well Ray Darcy isn't on anymore so it was a little help filling that massive void he left 🤪

Sounds like you know lots of Aj fan boys that got caught up in the Eddie and Aj hype and were disappointed it wasn’t a knock out.

Just on a potential AJ-Fury fight soon.

let’s not write it off as a fight/spectacle just yet, based off last night.

Fury is a completely different fighter and completely different physical specimen.

AJ will, or at least should be approaching a game plan completely different than last night.

He must know that it has to be committed strength and pressure and punching.

whether he can try this, and do this remains unknown. But from a physical visual look, a 6 feet 6 255 lbs AJ v a 6 feet 9 275 lbs Fury could be a hell of a spectacle, and possibly a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yep I see some sense in what youre saying.

Fury isn’t a banana skin for Joshua so it’s not a dont lose type of fight. He can afford to chase rather than be chased. I dont think there’s 3 inches between them but we’ll see. The build up would be fantastic and it really does whet the appetite. Joshua knows there’s not point in trying to box to win but that doesn’t mean he can’t use his jab and try to get a foothold in the fight before throwing his combos. Fury gave Whyte the runaround and then KO’d him but Whyte was able to make him feel uncomfortable early on. I think Joshua is in a better position to clinch and hold, try to get the uppercut in and disguise his punches better than Whyte with those embarrassing overhand rights. Fury played around with Chisora too and was rusty and ragged with Wilder 3. If Joshua approaches it the right way then Fury always gives you a chance. It’s a 3-4/10 chance but that’s worth a go.

If Joshua however fights still and slow then Fury will put on a clinic. HE gets stopped in that scenario. All mentality and ambition. Based on last night Charles Martin would give Joshua a decent fight right now.

You are fantasising, Fury would maul him and knock him out early.

Joyce is the man who deserves a shot at one of the champs. He's the WBO interim champ so should get a shot at Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Joshua is no position to do anything against an elite fighter. As Joshua said after losing twice to Usyk, I'm not elite. That's a fact. He ain't doing **** to Fury. There's no way he can out box him. He ain't holding Fury. He ain't out gritting Fury. He will pick up a cheque for a humiliation. He will more than likely get on his bike like he did against Ruiz the second time - a Ruiz that had ballooned in weight and was in no way in top shape and Joshua got on his bike.

Fury ain't dodging Usyk, he is trying to wring as much money money as possible out of it. It's the most amazing heavyweight boxing fight out there BUT that's only for people actually interested in boxing. Casuals don't care. They don't understand. They'll follow Joshua because they've bought into the hype machine. That's why I think this Joshua fight might happen now. Way more money in it. Eddie would be stupid to let Joshua near the likes of a hungry fighter like Joyce. The juice is not worth the squeeze there.

The Joshua who fought last night no. The second Usyk fight was a competitive one in fairness even if Usyk won convincingly. I dont think it’s that big a humiliation if Joshua turns up game. He’s well fit to make Fury work hard for it. It would at least be harder work than Fury’s last 2 fights.

Not really where youre going with this casuals don’t understand talk I dont really like that term and tend to switch off when any particular warrior uses it to strengthen an argument.

There’s no point in Joyce and Joshua fighting unless its for a belt, not worth the squeeze for either. Joyce is a bit in the who needs him bracket right now but to qualify the idea that he’s just that good his best win was probably the Parker one. Parker is worse than ordinary and has been well softened up since the Joshua fight. He’s been extremely lucky to get on the right side of a number of decisions in his career; Hughie, Ruiz for the belt and didn’t he just about get over the line with an Australian fighter? I can’t think of the name now. Dubois fight was a good performance but he was very green too and hard to measure his ability. So I’m not sure I’d say Joyce is much more than a good, rugged campaigner who takes a good shot and throws plenty too. I expect him to tire out and beat Zhang that’s a well made match and he will look decent doing it.

Spot on, squinn about the casuals talk. No idea what the poster means. As if AJ doesn’t belong at all in pro boxing talks and analysis, and that it’s Fury or nobody else. And anyone discussing AJ and what he may bring is somehow a casual. Nonsense.

also, the debating who has fought better opposition . Splitting hairs about Fury boxing a better version of Wlad. He was near 40 for chrissake. Over the hill. And in 2017 he was pretty much the same physical specimen, albeit over-the-hill.

Simple. The damn lot of them need to get a poxy move on and start boxing EACH other. And that includes AJ in the mix. Shower a posers and messers..

I already outlined it: of the big four (Fury-AJ-Wilder-Usyk) we have had 2 out of 6 matches. A joke. Let’s throw in Joe Joyce and we have 2 out of 10 matches I think is the figure. Pathetic. And all 5 in their 30s nearing end of their careers.

Usyk and Joyce get leniency here!!

parker v junior fa - fmd that was a terrible fight

• Advertisement

It’s the lowest attempt at making a point. Reminds me of Mark Lawernson suggesting that Jose Mourinho was losing the dressing room because he never played elite level soccer… he’s a casual too I suppose! If someone wants to say AJ is all hype etc that’s ok but he has fought some decent opposition and won and shared 24 rounds with Usyk, it’s not all hype and I dont like the guy.

Spot on. Any champion can be caught cold. I think there’s an argument that Joshua fought the better version. Who knows what way the rematch may have gone.

Remaining points yep. There’s no excuse for those fights not happening this year. No point in them all tuning up endlessly.

Junior Fa is right! Well that’s the guy Joyce beat. Parker is very ordinary and isn’t the most powerful. Also, Joyce got hit quite a bit in that fight he can be got at.

Advertisement