Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭_aurora_borealis

Yes, the chime can be switched off as it quite quickly became very annoying as it was beeping left, right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

You're fine. the message appears below 20% to worn people not to plan long drives. Also in cold climates as the battery cools down will loose some range and people could be caught of guard hence the warning. If you plan to charge tonight your absolutely following the manual so not worries. The sentry does not start below 20% so if you really want it charge a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Doesn't it also stop topping up the 12V at a certain percentage, below 20% things like sentry don't work so I'd always top up straight away below that, and never leave it sitting around at low %.

Happy to roll into a supercharger at <5% though 😁

Just discovered my "Since charge"counter doesn't always reset after charging. Is this or I got a 7.6 MWh battery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Akula

Anybody put a ceramic coating on theirs? Worth it? Don’t want to spend a fortune. But getting a red Y and want it to look good! Any drawbacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

My blue one is going in for 4 days for a graphene coating, i'll let you know. It's very expensive and not something i've ever done before, but the blue looks crap when it's dirty and I think it oxidises easily so gives a dull finish which ceramic/graphene coatings should protect against.

You can never use a brush wash with it on (but you shouldn't with it off either) and you need to be careful of the shampoo you use when washing at home. On the flip side, a strong hosing with water should clean the car to the point you don't need to shampoo..

Allegedly good protection from minor scratches and bird shite, etc. Need to do any PPF you plan to apply before coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I can see it getting better, I've noticed one big difference between the camera based and the sensor based. The camera based can see kerbs and the sensors would be looking above that height. As such I think this is why the lines are a bit too squiggly or moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

How are people getting on with the MY’s turning circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Like piloting the Lusitania herself!!

Was parking in a very tight underground carpark yesterday and managed an incredible 10-point turn! Thank god for Tesla Vision 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SkellysLane

Good overview of where park assist is at currently.

Lots of room for improvement! Looks more like a beta feature with it regularly crashing and the animations jumping around regularly .

What do we think. Can the current hardware on non uss Tesla’s ever reach the level of reliability of USS?

• Advertisement

In my view is not worse than M3 but pretty bad in general 11.8m some say. For parking in tight spaces, reverse parking is the solution. Before Tesla I'd reverse park only if I had to as the other car Hyundai Kona is very agile. Now I got so used to reverse parking that I did it with the Kona at a charger only to realise its charging port is in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

F me its shocking. Was in qpark setanta car park saturday. It wasnt pleasant, what with the unreliable park assist lines

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Agreed, it's a tanker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Coming from an ID4 which has a noticeably tight turning circle (about same size as a VW Up!), the MY is..... different.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

identical feelings here, big change from the ID4 turning

How do you feel about range difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Just picked up my Model Y last week, and got a charger installed yesterday. Had been using the granny charger before that.

When charging the app shows the charge current being used and available. The available charge current fluctuates though, it goes up to 32A, then will drop to 16A, and sometimes 6A or 7A, and back up to 32A. I am also getting some notifications on my phone about charging stopping unexpectedly. It seems to start again itself though.

Has anybody come across this before? It was happening when using the granny charger as well, but I was thinking maybe there was a loose connections somewhere that was causing the issue. Now that it happens on the 32A EV charger as well I am wondering if it could be an issue with the charging port on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

Could it be load balancing? As in you’re using a shower and induction hob so the supply is reduced to the car but when you stop using the other appliances there’s more to supply the car with? Just a guess 🤷‍♂️

Still 'gathering data'. MY seems to be an approx 360km car for me currently, which probably isn't that much off the ID4 in the cold. I'd expect the MY to increase as we get into summer, but whether it will hit the claimed 450km is a different matter - whereas the ID4 can definitely hit its official 500km.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Unfortunately no heavy power use at all in the house at the time.

Will try a public charger during the week for a while to see if I have the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would check a few things, mine is a Model 3.

1. How is the voltage at your house? I sometimes get a bit of a drop around Midnight to 1am. But not enough for ESB to do anything about it. Will very occasionally stop car, but seems to restart again.
    2. When you plug in car, hold plug tightly in for about 10 seconds or so to ensure locks correctly. My car occasionally says plug (Zappi) not inserted fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

Yeah I was going to add that the supply into the house can be faulty as is the case in my own home previously. ESB came out to rectify the issue but it started with lights dimming at certain times in the evening and it was discovered the electricity supply wasn’t right coming into the house. All sorted once esb did some small work

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Most likely associated with load balancing. Supply to domestic dwelling is finite and if demand is high (other appliances) the car charger(as largest consumer) will be scaled back to ensure all items pulling power get what they need -> load balancing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s really personal choice.

Would I, yes.

How do you generally wash your car?

A ceramic coating won’t protect it from stone chips, it won’t keep it clean. It will make cleaning easier though. You also have to wash the car using safe products. Don’t be going to the drive through car wash for €6!

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭joe1303l

RWD I presume which has a smaller battery than your ID4 ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Or more precisely MY 60kWh with 57.5 usable (apparently). ID4 82kWh with 77 usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

And yet they have the same range...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

My stats from driving Dublin to Cork earlier today. Mainly drove 110kmh, also had a 120kmh stint between the toll and the dunkettle (annoying tourists:)). The wind was def a bit more favourable than yesterday driving Cork to Dublin. Overall used 74% of battery (44kWh according to the trip computer) to drive 261km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Odd that the MY turning circle is so poor - in general RWD cars have good front wheel steer.

saw the Symons vid on the Tesla Vision last night - pretty comical in fairness, and those guys move cars in v tight spaces all day every day. Amazing Tesla shipped that s/w.

it’s a LOT of iterations away from something my 65yo mum would trust in the same way she does her current id3 camera and sensors.

Indeed It’s hard to see it improving to an acceptable level without hardware changes, which poses a problem for everyone who purchased in 2023.

parking sensors are probably the most used feature on any car, and Parking sensors you can’t trust are worse than having no parking sensors at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Yet when it was called out last year some posts said we were overreacting and making a fuss about nothing!

Everyone knew there were obvious limitations with TV and while it will improve over time, it is highly unlikely to reach parity with USS functionality in all weather conditions in my opinion.

Whether it will be adequate enough when you most need it, in limited visibility, in the dark or heavy rain, is the question. And I think most of us know the answer.

Advertisement