Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But yet here you are having a pop at one person using ‘QAnon’ but not a peep out of you for the pages upon pages of people throwing out ‘woke’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Because Woke has entered the general lexicon , everyone in Ireland pretty much knows what it refers to (It refers to people who are ultra politically correct and obsessed with lefty social justice causes and shoehorning them in to every aspect of life) .The fact is most people don't really know what QAnon means , in fact the only people who seem to know what it means are people who apparently hate QAnon and whatever it is, they seem obsessed with it much more than the people they throw it at as an insult.

Well qanon is completely bonkers to be brought into an Irish discussion.

You don't even know what 'woke' is.

It entered the general lexicon because people saw it became a negative connotation used by American conservatives to describe things they didn't like such as equal rights for anyone who wasn't a white male.

It was then picked up by people here who use it to dismiss anything that is dared to be challenged of conservative values. Equal rights, what a horrible thing to want, eh?

'Woke' on these boards is never used in it's actual meaning. It's just become a dismissive term.

And 'woke' isn't?

What absolute hypocrisy from you. It's ok for a word you like to throw at people to be adopted from the Americans but something that accurately describes the hysteria and paranoia of those who consider themselves 'anti-woke' is 'completely bonkers'?

Sorry, pal. You can't have it both ways. They're either both completely bonkers or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

That is what it means in general conversation now, again people from Ireland don't tend to use the word like it was originally used by black Americans.Words can slightly change meanings as their use evolves over time and as they are used in different cultures.It used as a dismissive term on more than just this website.

QANON has no real meaning here in Ireland because nobody really knows what it means and it hasn't entered the general lexicon in Ireland (just because you don't want to admit this doesn't mean it isn't true).

I didn't really make a comment on woke and it's a word I don't use. You've jumped to conclusions there to be dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Just listened to an interview with Sean Og O’Halpin, giving his opinion on this Sundays All Ireland final. He was a great hurler but comes across in the interview as thick as a plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I wouldn't say Sean Og is thick. Not a very engaging speaker but did his degree in DCU tri Gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

OTB starting a subscription service. €9.99 a month. Not for me, I wonder if there's any sort of appetite for this? I guess the second captains can charge €5 plus VAT and OTB has a hell of a lot more hours at least (I'll leave any debate on quality aside).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm guessing it's the OTB AM content behind the paywall but it's so vague who knows

I imagine their original stuff like the Football/Hurling pods will go behind the paywall too.

Ger Gilroy was just in there explaining the process behind it. They did surveys and market research so they clearly see enough to go with it.

Big risk, will be interesting to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I enjoy dipping in and out of OTB but the not to the tune of paying €10 a month. If anything I'm looking to cut back on some subscriptions. They really do add up.

As long as the crappy quiz is free via podcast, I'm happy. I also dip into the Sunday paper review some weeks (more likely to skip if Joe isn't around).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I generally only listen in the morning. I used to listen a lot more before Eoin Sheahan left. I did enjoy himself and Gilroy together. Shane Hannon has been a really poor replacement. And there's not a hope I'd be paying for the displeasure of listening to Colm Boohig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I mean they say they have done research on this, but I cannot see this approach being a long term thing, at that price point. I think they may have completely misread the situation.

Although I wouldn't be signing up if it was €1 a month to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Is the whole thing going behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I actually remember doing a survey for this around a year ago. In the survey I answered I had no intention of paying for their content and nothing has changed my mind on it. I may try to tune in live more though so maybe it could boost numbers for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So, what, is the radio show in the evenings still on, but you have to pay gor everything else? Something like that?

Will they still use OTB am content to make up very large chunks of the evening show then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The hurling pod is the only thing I would pay for.having to pay to listen to Matt “don’t call them the all blacks” Williams ,good god no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭omerin

Their listenership is low, their market research must be made up, no way is this viable. Look at their youtube numbers and they're are low, must be coming from the owners

• Registered Users Posts: 60,637 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was thinking of unfollowing it for a while now as I have been deleting 90% of what they drop without listening to it.

The announcement pod tonight finally made me unfollow and it won’t be clogging up my podcast feed any longer.

They need to learn quality over quantity no one is going to €9.99 a month for what they put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Imagine paying to hear people shìteing on about sport...

Just watch the fùcking thing yourself and use your own brain.....

Id be more likely to pay not to listen to pundits etc....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

€9.99 a month, jaysus they've an awfully high opinion of themselves. Not a chance ill be subscribing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

My understanding is that the radio show in the evenings and weekends will remain as is. The morning show will remain as is. News podcasts will remain, but newsround won't, so I don't get that. All of the non-live pods will be behind paywall, so the hurling pod, football pod, etc. But will still be on YouTube. It's an odd mix.

Also, seems very rushed to announce it on a random Tuesday, I assume they want it in place before Premier league returns, but still weird.

I'd be astonished this will work, but I'm still surprised they keep going with OTB am..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Wooly parkinson is getting 5k subscribers at 5e a pop, that's 25k a month and 300k a year - decent money for a one man band. I wonder what their target is

Advertisement