Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I don't really watch TLLS, but I know a lot of people do. Now, as RTE are a Public Service Broadcaster, where exactly does the public bit come into all this. It seems that the public don't have any say in who gets to present the show. It's a few people (ie-NK) making a decision that will affect the enjoyment/lack of enjoyment for many viewers.

It's all wrong imo. There needs to be some sort of a shortlist drawn up and the public gets a chance to choose who gets it, after all, they're paying for it and will be making this person a millionaire many times over

When asked to comment on this situation, RTE released a statement as Ms Forbes was in hiding, yet again:-

"Listen you filthy little peasants, we make the decisions around here, not you. We are the great RTE. Even the government hasn't the balls to take us on. We will choose the next person (from within our closed group) to be made very rich, so just suck it up.

Do remember to pay for your TV licence though, it's the law."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How about a rotating presenter(s)? Week on week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

It will be Clare Byrne.

Coy interview with RTÉ Guide is a sure indication that she’s got the nod.

“I was taking a bit of a break from television, but I never said I would never do TV again,” she explained.

And to those who thought the LLS would be difficult to combine with her new quiz show

“This is very different in that you can record these shows in a block together, so it is not placing a demand on you every single week.”

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/claire-byrne-teases-late-late-show-future-after-failing-to-rule-herself-out-of-running-42406095.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Patrick Kielty would be the best fit. Can do light entertainment and serious stuff, has had a varied life experience and is witty when needed. He's outside the Pale for RTE, but if they had balls they'd pick someone like him. It doesn't have top be an insider.

Dara O'Briain would be next on my list, he's got a lot more time after Mock the Week was cancelled. As with Kielty he can mix humour with in depth discussion when needed. Can fly over here on a Wednesday or Thursday and back to UK on Saturday morning, the rest can be done with Zoom with the LLS team. He'd do that for a couple of hundred grand for 30ish weeks of the year.

The above would be my two outstanding favourites and I can't see anyone doing it better than them. The more I think of it then the less sure if the format suits Tommy Tiernan so I've left his name out.

Sarah McInerney would be the next one, I think she'd be the best shout of the female candidates on it. She can interview serious politicians as well as light entertainers. Not sure how well she'd do with letting them talk, but she seems to be a quick learner.

Brendan O'Connor has lost his edge, he's too safety conscious, Claire Byrne would be the final nail in the coffin, she'd bury the show within 5 years max.

But I agree with posters above when they say the shpw needs a total revamp and needs to look a bit more at its roots. The Tubridy obsession with 16 minutes per guest needs to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Agree, think Kielty would rejuvenate the show, for a while at least.

DOB would be a no for me, his diction is terrible and grates on me. A small point maybe, but would find him a hard listen. Nothing against him ability wise, he could do it surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Has anyone mentioned “Sammy Sausages” yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You were all correct, it's a woman

NOT!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Byrne doesnt seem to know what she wants. She gave up her Monday night tv show citing time constraints and wanting more family time with her kids as she was doing the radio show Mon to Friday as well. But now 6 months later the LLS job has come up and she wants to go for it, feck off kids!

If she gets the job then it will take up way more of her time than her Monday night show ever did. Unless NK can engineer a way for her to get out of her radio show while still getting that 500k LLS wage. Sarah McInerney then takes over the radio show, a job she should have gotten in the first place imo. NK is counting his 15% salary commissions once he has moved all the chess pieces around a bit and everyone is happy. I havent heard any news of Tubridy taking a pay cut when he finishes up either, NK probably has that sorted as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

I don't know.

She did do the TV show for years.

I also thought the Monday night timing was difficult. Finishes after 11:30 and then getting home, it must be at least 1am when she got to bed and then radio show at 10 the next morning which I'm sure she does preparation for in the morning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I agree Mondays would have been a long day for her doing a morning radio show and then an evening tv show followed by the radio show again the next morning. But she walked away from that because it was exhausting but now she seems keen to take on the LLS which would be way more work and prep than the Monday night show she had. So it seems like a 180 degree turn on her reasons for giving up Claire Byrne Live.

I reckon if she gets it but still has to do five mornings of radio on top she will leave one job or the other within a few years saying holding down both is too tiring. AFAIK she commutes from Co.Laois as well so thats a lot of miles on top

• Advertisement

I doubt she will take it or even be offered. Anyway I'd say it would be a bad fit for her skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

surely she could just stay in a hotel close to RTE, don't RTE put up alot of their guests appearing on LLS anyway in hotels.

Someone was saying earlier that they wouldn't give it to Daithi O Shea because he is not from Dublin, but sure neither is Clare Byrne or Sarah McInerney for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I got the impression Claire Byrnes show was cancelled rather than her giving it up. Her ratings dropped heavily and it was getting a lot of criticism IIRC.

Same with Tubridy I'd bet. He lost too many viewers recently. I reckon he was told to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Karppi

I'd love to believe you, and wish it was true. But Noel Kelly wouldn't allow that to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Tell me it ain’t so, I thought 2 stars had fell off the Noel Kelly scaffold!

Still no good explanation for Tubridy’s sudden announcement. Could it be linked to the biggest departure from RTÉ this year?

Dee Forbes will be gone by July and the search for her replacement is well underway. She was full of praise for Tubridy and the LLS in this interview but she was also highlighting the need to respond to changed viewing patterns.

But who is “we” in this comment?

“ obviously we’ll now sit down and we’ll have a look at what’s next and who is next in that seat.”

I’m sure the incoming DG will want to make that choice and not be landed with Dee’s favourite.

Could it be that the big names in RTÉ are redistributing the goodies before the new boss arrives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Pretty much confirming Turbiddy was axed.

God knows what goes on in that place. I'd say it's full of petty grievances and big ego's.

Just read the article in the Irish Mirror, and if they are accurately quoting what Dee Forbes actually said, she has no idea of syntax at all. Some of her sentences were bordering on indecipherable. Some sentences contradict the next one, for example;

“The world when Ryan began 14 years ago is now completely different and we are looking at a lot more fragmented viewing, people are viewing in different ways but the engagement with the Late Late is second to none but again people watching live or watching catch up.

“The way people are watching and listening hasn’t changed and obviously we’ll now sit down and we’ll have a look at what’s next and who is next in that seat.”

Dear me!

Don’t underestimate the communication skills of our top broadcasting executive and bear in mind that you are reading a transcript from an oral interview.

She is trying to convey very mixed messages without exposing their internal contradictions (a skill which is essential for politicians these days)

Her key message is that the world of the media has changed radically over the past 14 years, but she mixes that with lavish praise for Tubridy and the LLS (“a nation in the palm of his hand” 🤚) . I love her line that “Ryan and Tubridy talk about this all the time” , (Yeah, George Hamilton is always skulling pints with Lionel Messi after the big match.)

After her spiel, Bryan Dobson was never going to ask her the obvious question- so why did you wait until you’re walking out the door?

I don’t know if she pushed Tubridy to make way for her favourite or if Tubs jumped because he expected the next DG to drop him like a hot potato and he will never have a time to re-negotiate his deal with RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Claire Byrne will get a four day week on radio, multiple guest presenters on Fridays with a slightly different format for de weekend. Sorted work/life balance there.

David McRedmond (An Post CEO due to go same time) is a shoo in for RTE DG. Another of the gene pool, check out his father.

McRedmond is the bookies’ favourite supported, I assume, by a lot of insider wagers. Poacher turned bailiff, but that’s an Irish tradition. His gene pool is FG, not FF. I liked his recent shot across the bows of the Royal Mail which won’t have done his cause any harm (now that the Brits are fair game post-Brexit.)

If the LLS gets multiple presenters it will lose what remains of its identity. The original LLS was unthinkable without Gaybo. And he had the most popular radio show five days a week. But that was before the era of “work-life balance” and “bullying”

I think I'd call it a case of "talking out of both sides of the mouth". Never a good look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I meant the CB radio show would run four days to give her a day off on Friday for LLS prep. Then on Fridays a different guest presenter for "De Weekend with.....)

I think McR might not be the worst. His father worked for RTE at one point, hence the "gene pool".

But am obviously just speculating here.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

the gene pool being semi-state is more relevant here, have they ever hired anyone as DG that was outside the State sector? I thought RTE was cash strapped surely the last person they need is someone from the inefficient semi state sector. Under his remit the cost of postage stamps increased massively, I expect he will keep pushing for licence fee increases and also lean on his AN Post buddies to increase collection rates for same.

Oh and he will need to get a pair of thick rimmed glasses like Dee Forbes and Moya Doherty, that seems to be the fashion with middle aged RTE executives

Wouldn't expect anything radical from the An Post DG.

Public broadcasters all over the world face the dilemma- make a success of their business or depend on money from the government. Most are failures propped up for political purposes. RTÉ is not the worst by any means and even the most successful (the BBC) are under threat now.

Dee Forbes came from commercial broadcasting but seems to have made little impact on the culture within RTÉ. She focused on increasing the licence fee, an increasingly anachronistic funding mechanism.

The next DG should focus on leveraging the digital revolution but vested interests will block that. Anyone who thinks the solution to RTÉ’s problems is a new LLS host is doomed to irrelevance.

Why do they need any more than RTE1 and Radio1? If they must have 2FM and Lyric etc run them as independent stations.

Time to stop wasting money on frivolous nonsense. People have thousands of choices these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

An Post is a very dynamic organisation. They do a lot, very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

I'd say the potential presenters are **** themselves about the specials like country special and valentines and wondering how tf they'll get through it.

Advertisement