Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Wood Practically confirmed

• Loan till end of season with option to buy
    • Conditions to make deal permanent are meant to be very realistic (£15 Million forest will pay and the contract is longer than the newcastle one he is currently on)

Over all this is great business for all, at 31 he will probably get a 2 year deal at forest, maybe extended one year depending where they are, bringing his career to an end.

He came to us when we badly needed someone for that Leeds game, we eventually stayed up and now taking a a 10m loss on a 31 year old whist saving 100K per week on his wages

win win

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Wish Wood well if/when he goes. He played a big part in keeping us up last season, moving forward he clearly isn't good enough.

If Forest really end up paying us 15 million for him then we've got away with daylight robbery to be honest!

Really need reinforcements in midfield and going forward. Defence looks solid.

Yeah we have done really well, Forest similar to us last year that their strikers are injured and need a quick fix. Super work by the board getting 15m into the clause and by all accounts Wood played his last game for Newcastle the other night leveraging how easy the targets are to achieve

I'd rather not directly replace wood but strengthen midfield, rely on Isac and Wilson up top, if both get injured Joelinton can step in there.

2 midfielders are badly needed, makes the bench much stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love to see those conditions, but at 15 million you'd have to think it'd be a miracle if they triggered them. He's maybe a 5 million player at a push now.

Like us last year although they signed 500 players their strikers were injured so Forest needed a quick signing. I presume for us to allow wood go that the ball was in our court.

I'm sure the major stipulation is to for them to stay up, so 120m to stay up V 15m chance on Wood to help them do that seems like a no brainer (again similar to our thinking last season one would think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Anthony Gordon inbound, 40million plus 5 million addons, not sure about it but they must have done there stat research on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not convinced by him being a good signing either. Looked to have potential to loose the head altogether and be sent off in the few times I saw him playing but he is fairly young so maybe with some coaching he will get better at channeling his aggression in a positive way rather than just giving away stupid free kicks. Would have much preferred to see someone with a bit more creativity in their game being signed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I think that on-field stuff can be coached out of him & with the senior squad members guiding him they should be able to get him playing football. He’s still very young, lots of time & space to develop.

He has to buy into what the club is doing though, to commit to the club, the manager, the coaching staff & the other players. We need everyone pulling the same direction.

Initially, you would think he isn't for us, but he plays with his heart, can play across the front 3 and attacking midfielder, has bursts of pace and energy.... on paper exactly what we are looking for.

A strange one from the outside but we have been linked with him for a while, the work must have been done on him to know it is exactly what we are looking for.

Also, the main reason I believe he could come good is none of the signings have been wrong yet, so we must trust this is a decent one also.

Wembley here we come!

We started the same as we always do, except this time we took our chances!

Need to do the same in the final, first 25 mins we always have 3-5 big chances they have to be taken

Anyway, enjoy the moment all, it's been a long time coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Gordon was very lively for his brief 20 minute cameo against West Ham. He'd start all day long for me against Bournemouth on Saturday.

He’s familiar enough with Premier League football so it’s not throwing him in at the deep-end or anything but Eddie Howe has been doing the gradual inclusion in the squad to lots of the new arrivals.

I agree though, I’d like to see him start 👍🏼

Looked very positive in the way he played in the 20minutes alright and he almost put Wilson through for a second goal except for a last ditch tackle from a West Ham defender. I have my doubts about him being signed but it looked to me like he has made a very good start and should definitely be considered for a starting place in the next game.

very poor first half against cherries, lucky to go in at HT 1-1, Gordon looking very decent, constantly looking to create spaces and fast passing

ASM was very quiet until Gordon came on, he has a bit more space to play in now. Great pass to Longstaff for the goal

I thought Gordan had much more of an impact when he switched to the flank. Really, really missing Bruno in the middle of the park. Still managed to increase our lead on Spurs though.

Really dull performance missing Bruno badly.

Wasn't great to see our 3 subs be used because of injuries also.

Other 2 should be fine, Willock doesn't look promising.

The draws are killing us, looks great only losing one all season but 11 draws (5 from past 6) has shown the team is getting tired - same 14 used all season.

I'd like Targett to make a few starts when back, switch it up a bit.

V Liverpool id start Gordon, Anderson, Murphy

Big game this evening. Will set the tone for next week and the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

of all the teams to fall apart to its the bloody scousers.

• Advertisement

I know. But I'm more positive about next week now than I was 30 minutes in. We regrouped and played well for the remainder. Better side for large swathes of the second half. If only Pope hadn't had a brainfart of biblical proportions. Karius between the sticks for the final. Hopefully a redemption story after being hung out to dry by Liverpool in 2018.

Post edited by Anoeta on

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Yeah a bad day at the office but I thought ye were admirable after going down to 10 men showed plenty and but for the best keeper in the world could have had a couplenof goals. Put that game to bed and focus on ye're biggest game in 25 years next week.

Karius or Gillespie ?

I think Karius but it's an incredible amount of pressure to put on his shoulders.

Has to be Karius.

He isn't a bad keeper, its just unfortunate his worst game came in the biggest match of his career, it was also 5 years ago. Karius biggest hole in his game would be passing it back to him, luckily we don't play ball with our keeper, once he does what a keeper is asked to do and shot stop we should be ok.

Funnily enough I missed the first 30 mins of mayhem and what i saw after that was a spirited performance, ASM had his best game since City (this being because bigger teams send their full backs forward rather than lying deep so he has the space to run) i'd give him a start against united... Wembley could be his stage to shine.

Big question for Sunday is Isak or Wilson... with Bruno starting I say Wilson, Targett also played 60 mins for U21's last week so the bench will be bolstered there

I'd go with Wilson, ASM and Migi up top. Definitely agree with Maxi, he had his best game in a long time on Saturday. Willock (if fit) and Isak would be decent options off the bench.

• Advertisement

the rumours are saying willock is in contention, i would lean for ASM but what you get in attacking from him leaves you sometimes exposed on counter attacks and tracking back

Lots of heart but no end product, really taken foot off pedal since the WC, almiron is back to the old almiron, wilson has really gone backwards

Def were protecting karius, they changed playing out from the back quite a bit from what I noticed, and overall Karius did fine, but I feel he could have done better with the botman deflection

Yep. Deflating as it is but ManU had very little of the ball but were much better with it in the bigger moments. Just have to concentrate on finishing as high as possible in the league now.

Post edited by Anoeta on

I think more so January, even with the WC we did well up to Jan

Our squad is light, the lads are wrecked, and to maintain the high intensity a squad rotation needs to happen. we got rid of wood and Shelvey and just brought in Gordon

With Wilson the rumour is long covid, but bar the Liverpool chance nothing has fallen to him either... we tend to be running out of idea's.

Regarding the final, we were beaten by a stronger team, not a great game but Uniteds depth could just nullify us, take for example ASM had dalot running in circles, he gets booked and its so easy to replace then with AWB.

We have basically the same 11 lads running their arse's off 90% of the season.

This weekend I'd take the hit on City and give lads a break

start: Targett, Lacelles, Gordon, murphy, Anderson

Regarding Europe we need 5 more players (without getting rid of anyone) is it worth it next year? I don't think we are prepared for it.

For me champions league or nothing and regardless what team we put out you'd expect 3 points for city, so spurs could go 7 clear with us having 2 games in hand

The next 4 games will make or break our European push. Our general play has been good over the last three games. We just need our attacking players to hit form again. Wilson needs a rest - throw Isak in for a run of games. Gordon needs games aswell. This predicament is a world of difference to what we have been served up for the previous 15 years though so ill try and enjoy it whatever the outcome come May.

• Advertisement

Once the goals start coming again we’ll be ok.

Barring the recent form dip, which is mostly lack-of-goals related I believe, I think we’re still playing well. Some of the players look a bit tired or leggy, the lack of depth in the squad still has us at a disadvantage. Couple of our best chances at the weekend came from quick crosses from about 25/30 yards away from goal, we’ve been our own worst enemy with over-running the ball way too much, turning back into opposition player & not taking advantage of breaking quickly or turning possession over.

They’re solid enough defensively now that they can stop thinking about what they should do going forward & just do it! I think that’s especially true for Almirón, when he plays best I think it’s when he stops thinking about football & just plays!

Heading over to St James’ for the Wolves game at the weekend, keeping the fingers crossed for a Toon coloured goal-fest! 🤞🏼🏁🤞🏼

The goals have just dried up, outside of that we haven't been too bad.

Joelinton suspended and wilson having a bit of a dip in form, Miggy seems tired, Targett offers more for ASM than burn, i'd go with

Targett for burn

Bruno, Longstaff, Willock(if fit)

ASM Isak Gordon

We are due to give a team a hammering, hopefully, this weekend kickstarts a strong finish to the season

Isak, ASM & Murphy in. Gordon out with ankle injury. Fingers crossed for a positive result.

Finally, 3 points, controlled the game for the most part, Wolves had a 10 minute spell in the first and second half.

I thought Willock was excellent, as to was Isak.

We are really light with the depth of the squad, so much so Ritchie is starting to get game time, Gordon is out until after the international break.

Interesting comments from Eddie about Isak, he is fit for 90 minutes, just not fit for 90 mins of our style of play. In fairness to the lad he runs his arse off for the 60 -70 mins he plays

Another win, keeps us in contention going into the international break, Isak super, gutted for Anderson.

We are so light for squad numbers... 4 left backs on the bench the other night

the final run in is even enough with 2 games in hand over spurs, with one win taking us into 4th

Next game V MUFC is a 6 pointer, we win and they are dragged back into the fight for 4th place. they win and it should put them clear

A win against man utd would be immense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Great win. Think 5th of better is a certainty, us, Spurs and Utd have similar run ins to the season.

Interestingly I seen a few bits about McTominay to us - whats peoples opinions? Overall Id be happy with him - he looks like a hardworking player that would fit into Howes style nicely.

He'd be a decent squad player for ye but that's all IMO.

Super win, Spurs result last night has helped alot.

Huge game at West ham to create some breathing space between us and Spurs.

Mctominay, I can see why we could want him, but really he is a crap Longstaff, we need more quality than that to push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Absolutely no to McTominay. United would be looking 30+ million for him and he is simply not a player that should be starting for us. Would take him for about 10 mil as a squad player to use in Europe etc next season.

Can the CL push keep going or is it too soon for Newcastle?

Looked very tired first half but grew into the game. Big three points with Spurs getting a winner too. Villa will be another tough game next week but this run of results is exceptional.

It's a VERY big ask from this squad, especially with 7 games in April but we are in with a big shout.

Guessing it’s just a discipline thing after his reaction to being subbed.

He has to recognise this isn’t the Anthony Gordon show, he needs to be fully invested with what the team & staff are doing & go with it. Throwing a diva-like strop for being substituted is going to leave him out of the first team. He’s good enough & still young enough, he could be a big starring part in what’s happening at Newcastle, but he needs to leave the games & tantrums at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just going to butt in here as I mentioned it in the general thread, but I don't think that's the official Newcastle twitter. In saying that, his actions were stupid when coming off. So be funny if was true too

Did not see the game at the weekend so a bit relieved it was probably just throwing a strop was the issue that has required some action by management. Was pleasantly surprised by what I have seen of Gordon on the pitch since transferring in as he does seem to have good potential to be a top class player.

That's A bogey page have a look at the spelling of Newcastle.

• Advertisement

Advertisement