Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Let’s get behind all players . There amateurs at the end of day who give of there time to represent us as our county . In times of a lot of mental health era and chat I hope certain players never read here and hoganstand etc . I know everybody has a right to an opinion but sometimes think before ya type . Good luck to all the lads tomo hopefully they can do it . A division 1 title is nothing to turn out nose up at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Some big men around the middle third now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Strong team.

Strong bench.

Home town ref.

All set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

At least 5 injuries from our best team but all we'll hear if we win if that they didn't care about the game

Grown men were crying in the stand in 2019 when they won a league but apparently Sunday doesn't matter. Embarrassing

Isnt it wonderful to have it both ways.

Hopefully this makeshift Galway side produce a performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I bought a ticket for the lower hogan today I can't use it, if someone wants it PM me and I can email it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If you dont understand the importance of 2019, thats on you. Of course today matters but defeat isnt the end of the world, it would have been been very hard to take in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I hope they get the win today. Joyce lost 3 league finals. Nice to get an early run out at Croker too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Power has walked from the panel apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

Not surprising, after Joyce's comments in the Tribune saying that Gleeson is number 1. Power has been around the panel for years, some as number 1, has no interest sitting on bench. Is a better keeper than Gleeson. Hope Gleeson has a good game today and silences a few doubters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Foolish if he has, all he has to do is wait for gleeson to make a bad mistake and it's his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Bernie is there 🙄🙄 lads and their stories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Such soft frees for mayo....

Heaney taken out with the late tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

Frustrating about the soft frees. Poor half but still in it and will surely get better. Mayo working very hard and likely won't keep it up all game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Mayo the better team overall we just couldn't get back level and had some bad misses when we had chances to get back into it.

Probably a biased view but I thought they got a few soft enough easy frees too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

In a year where squad depth will be key this showed up once again that we just don't have the strength in depth to compete when it really matters.

Congrats to Mayo they've been the best team during the league and will be strong contenders this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hard luck Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Alot of really bad mistakes and missed scoring opportunities today. Ref was very poor. No consistency in his reffing and Mayo were kept fed with regular soft frees. Every time we reeled them in he drove the gap back out with frees. Both teams were below par I feel and Mayo were a bit better on the day.

Our complete reluctance to press is inviting teams on to us and we'll struggle in croke Park if we stay with that strategy. Slow to get away on restarts too. Movement to provide options was almost non existent

This isn't where it really matters, reape took out heaney with a late tackle, knew well what he was doin, stayed on the field?? championship is where its at shadowboxing, blessing in disguise innit 😉we still have a great panel, that doesn't change, enjoy the holiday lads, mayo out next week the rossies in the long grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

It really mattered in the all ireland last year and we had no one to bring on. Silke, Molly and O'Laoi are all gone since then and nothing new in the forwards. Mayo were garbage last year and still could have beaten us and look revitalised this year with lots of exciting players coming through and proper depth and actually look like they have a defensive plan.

Goalkeeper is still a liability. In defence we are generally ok. Maher has done OK midfield but Conroy is a year older and McDaid is a worry. We are still looking like we have no ideas on our own kickout and up front if Walsh doesn't shoot the lights out we struggle. Comer is limited and Finnerty and Tierney only contribute in fits and starts.

11 points is a pathetic total and is in keeping with a league where no new forward has stepped up bar maybe Culhane recovering from injury.

I'd expect Mayo to win Connacht from here and it's a very open all ireland but unfortunately we aren't contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

I think that's overly negative, score 1 or 2 of those goal chances todays & with a different ref then I think we beat Mayo, whilst definitely not playing our best. Our defense is good, despite the amount of turnover in players from last year. I think Tierney & Sweeney have both gone up a level during the league & you can't say management haven't given chances to forwards with all of our injuries, unfortunately the players at inside forward simply don't exist.

Ultimately how far we go will probably come down to the health of McDaid & Comer, as there's a real drop off behind them. But it's a fairly open championship & if we get a few breaks then you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Worrying how it's another big match in Croke Park and Tierney and Finnerty were kept so quiet. Was a bit like the All Ireland with Walsh keeping Galway in it.

Still, Galway created loads of goal chances. Let's be honest here them shots were straight at the goalie. Dunno how he got man of the match.

Tierney and Comer still skinned their men for their shots on goal.

Mayo definitely got softer frees.

Overall better team won. We created plenty of chances and as regards almost certain scores, left at least 2 goals out there. Maybe 3.

No kickout strategy again to midfield. Worrying.

Also Mayo physicality very obvious in their backs. Knocked Galway lads off balance a lot with hits and shoulders, forced turnovers.

I think a lot will be learnt from it. I'm not too despondent. Disappointed alright. But I think if we hadn't created anything it'd be seriously worrying. We missed loads of scores. Hoping to meet Mayo again. And hopefully Heaney only has a dead leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

Mayo here.. commiserations on. Yer loss today. We've had 10 bad years of all Ireland/final failures, and I think that stood to us today. There's no doubt about it, had Galway gone for points when they were on it would be a different story. I don't agree with the narrative re the soft frees, but open to correction..from my biased perspective Aos got frees, that he usually wouldn't, Which is not the same as a soft free. Ref was quite right to give free when player threw the ball while on the ground..I'm not sure if it's a rule or not, but Gleason picked the ball off the ground after a mayo chance, which was missed. And ditto some rugby takedowns which could have seen black (which, in the spirit of the game, I'm glad didn't happen). In balance, I don't think either team can be too aggrieved in what happened. One thing I'm disappointed in, is with 3 mins to go and mayo 3 up, there was no hail Mary efforts, which could have really kyboshed things, but Galway seemed to be happy to narrow the difference than go for the jugular. Felt sorry for comer and Walsh, both had great games, but SOME wides will haunt them. Shane was the only player on the pitch that scored more than 1 point from play.... Not sure if it's possible, but would be great for another Galway mayo final this year. Would be great for the sport regardless of the winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Robson99

Wouldn't read too much into it. 11 of mayos scores came from frees. Ref gave them some seriously soft ones and we butchered 3-3

A glorified challenge game but it's a pity we didn't put some pressure on their kick out. Won't beat Dublin or Kerry conceding every kick out

All this talk about soft frees when Shane Walsh should have got a black card!

I'd question poor or lazy tackling from Galway over any bias from the refs performance.

Galway got many questionable frees too.

That wasn't a black card.. There wasnt a bad or cynical tackle in the whole game. It was funny though once a hand was left on a Mayo forward they hit the deck.

Did he, or did he not, drag O'Shea to the ground?

It's exactly the type of tackle that it was introduced for.

NO HE DIDNT... look at it again... if anything AOS lead with the elbow....ffs if thats a black card games would be 5 a side...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

Yea, 3-3? That's cool. So even more than your final tally. And obviously mayo left nothing behind. It's just a pity mayo didn't shut up shop at 54 mins, then it could have been a draw.

Advertisement