Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A rare thing if I am reading the stats correctly. Of their previous 12 titles, they only played a Connacht team in one Final, again Galway in 2000-2001. 0-13 to 0-12. One League was decided on points, no Final played. Mayo beat Fermanagh and Carlow in two of their Finals.

Of their 8 losses in League Finals, none was against another Connacht team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

The speech by Larry McCarthy getting a few digs in against critics was a disgrace. Rather than acknowledge the organisation should be accountable for its decisions he goes on the offensive. Hopefully Burns will bring a bit more accountability when he takes over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Both games were an infuriating watch if you like consistency and fairness. The referees in both games applied standards in the tackle to one team that they failed to apply to the other. Galway and Dublin the teams short changed if you didn't notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

How was Galway short changed when Shane Walsh should have been black carded?

I'm just not seeing how the ref favoured Mayo.

The next post after yours is one criticising the referees. In a polite way. I think he was asking people not to indulge in the death threats sort of stuff that goes on.

• Advertisement

What appears to be inconsistency is one team fouling in the tackle and the other tacking fairly. To the casual fan it appears like there is no difference, but on closer look the fouls are clear. The one on O'Shea for example that many Galway fans are exercised about was a clear arm in to prevent O'Shea getting handpass away, disguised as an attempt to dislodge the ball. And O'Shea was done for an almost identical foul on Paul Conroy in the first half. One difference of note is that Mayo's fouls on Galway tended to be out the pitch as they defended more from the front, while Galway invited Mayo on more resulting in more fouls closer to goal. It is another thing to note that whenever Donnie Buckley has been involved, Mayos tackling close their own goal has been excellent, hard but without fouling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I didn't disagree with him but a celebration is not the right place for it.

Had a touch of

I felt it was more going after those critical of the administration recently, especially around the Club final

I thought he was talking about the media shtting on the leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with what he said, but it was a strange time to bring it up. Nobody was interested in listening at that point.

• Advertisement

I think whoever is doing the honours in future will have learned not to invite a round of applause for the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Dire presenter and two out three dire pundits on Allianz League Sunday. Peter Canavan is excellent, the less said about Cantwell, Mannion and Tubridy the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's not Manion it Paul Flynn. But ya at present neither Flynn or Tubridy making much of a contribution. I have not see Tubridy on before so will give him.tge benefit of the doubt but Flynn has been on a good few times

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Flynn isn't the same Flynn that was on second captains last year. Mcconville being on with him dragged a strong opinion out of him. This year with Michael Murphy alongside him he's too pally and nice in his analysis.

But on the Sunday Game he's watered his opinion down to nothing. Brolly did say years ago they're warned about what to say and what not to say.

Tubridy to be fair made a few interesting points about kicking off left or right and considering wind etc. First-time nerves there but he'll settle.

Apologies, my mistake, Mannion was playing today 😡. Still doesn't change my opinion about the awful punditry.

Was it windy in Croke Park today ? There wasn't a breeze here in the Midlands where I live.

Give him the benefit of the doubt, on the basis that he knows how to play football.

TUE, 01 JUN, 2021

EOGHAN CORMICAN

David Tubridy was as surprised as anyone to learn he had entered the GAA record books at Cusack Park on Sunday.

The 1-8 kicked by the Clare footballer to secure the county’s place in the semi-finals of Division 2 took his overall League tally since joining the Banner set-up 14 years ago to 22-412 (478 points).

And according to statistics passed on to this writer, Tubridy is now the League’s all-time leading scorer, having leapfrogged previous record holder Mickey Kearins of Sligo (469 points) during Sunday’s narrow defeat to Cork.

First Dublin goal O'Gara was on the square before the ball was kicked in

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Cantwell is a really poor presenter. Really poor. Always in to get a snap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Knowing how to play football does not alone make a good analyst.

Nothing specific towards David, but it's a common misperception that the best players make good analysts, it ain't necessarily so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wouldn’t pay heed to anything Brolly says. The Sunday Game analysis is far superior since Brolly’s absence IMO.

And we actually get analysis of the games, not a one man show ranting and raving, pantomime playing up the camera and going on constant tangents.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It's all questions a d answer session. Big long winded sessions. How come Hurley is not doing it.

Slava Ukrainii

They have gone from too many egomaniac shte talkers to too many really dry lads.

I much prefer the latter but they could do with a little bit more life.

And of course the "experts" sitting at home and writing on the internet are the best ones to judge, and always know better. Random comment from Boards:

"I wouldn't mind but there are lots of analysts on the Sunday game whose analysis I wouldn't even rate. I could come up with better analysis myself. I think Jim mcguinness has shown up how poor some of the football analysis really is. Some of the analysts were also managers. so it means that they were always getting paid some sort of money. And then we have Martin Carney and Tommy Carr who are just plain annoying."

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Was a general point about free taking and choosing a foot to kick with

Fine use of the rugby colours there for the prediction chart 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Xander10

In terms of AI, I think Mayo are peaking too soon. Wide open for a few other counties this year.

Canavan and Flynn going for Dublin to win the AI and Tubridy going for Mayo.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What did Canavan say was his reason for going for Dublin?

Id say Kerry are loving this, they got a big monkey off their back last year, if they build up some momentum they will be there or thereabouts. And there’s usually an Ulster team coming from nowhere every season or so.

Will be interesting to see if the Connacht teams can bring this form into the championship. Some of Mayo’s best seasons have been when they were poor until what used to be august games. God I really don’t like the revised calendar.

Advertisement