Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Robson99

It was never going to be a draw.....why dont you go and enjoy yeer final win in CP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

I thought he was pulled down on top of him after a standard enough foul in that case tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bike2wkr

Thought that mayo goalkeeper should have got straight red for the challenge on johnny heaney. The ball was well gone. Bad start from Galway.grew into it. Still missing a forward or two ... mayo were good. Very good defending. They won alot of ball off Galway forwards

Funny the guys on the SG didnt bring it up but reckoned Reape should have got one for his takcle....possibly red

• Advertisement

The boys on tsg obviously didn’t have a read of the rule book beforehand so:

• To deliberately pull down an opponent
    • To deliberately trip an opponent with the hand, arm leg or foot
    • To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play
    • To remonstrate in an aggressive manner to match officials
    • To threaten or to use abusive or provocative language or gestures to an opponent or teammate

Reapes obviously being an accidental, I.e not deliberate, collision between two committed players and Walsh’s being a blatant deliberate pull down

Reape tripped him with his right leg when the ball was gone so Black Card offence. Looks like they were correct. Thanks for clearing it up

Here is the moment of impact. Somehow you believe that to be deliberate. God knows how as two players come together and one unfortunately gets a fair oul bang off the other in the midst of an accidental collision. Not even a foul. Unlike when Comer attempted the punch into Reapes midriff and Conroy followed up with the knee in the face

Incorrect...you are .1256 of a second too early

So a moment in which you can clearly see the collision is too early to see the collision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Reape made an absolute meal of whatever contact was there. I didn't see anything other than minimal contact around the face from Conroy and it looked totally accidental and incidental.

Either way the proof Reape made a meal of it is in the 3 or 4 Neymar type rolls be did with his hands over his face.

Give it a rest about the Heaney thing. This stuff happens in field sports. It didn't stop Heaney taking the shot today, it went wide. Galway still got a point from it. It didn't affect the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I know the important thing was to stay up this season but I was fairly disappointed with that showing. Granted lads like Walsh, Comer and Glynn are working their way back to fitness but we had too many lads go missing today. The likes of Conroy and Tierney, who have been so impressive this League, saw the game completely bypass them.

On another day Heaney connects properly to that first half chance and it changes the game but we weren't clinical enough in front of goal. Reape had a good game but we hit a lot straight at him.

Must say though I was impressed by Maher and Fitzgerald. They both might not be technically gifted players but they worked their socks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

in truth i think you can suger coat this as much as you want but he was so late it wasn't funny , i have no ties with galway but i would be going black card tertiary at least , he never intended to take out heaney but he did

brendan cawley was very fussy today with the small infringements on both sides , which probably pissed off galway people more as they were giving away soft frees in scoring areas at times , but the can be lucky that comer didnt get done for the kidney whack on Reap late in the game the replay showed him looking over at Cawley after the strike , it was a this ones for Johnny Heaney moment

Yeah the leaders like Tierney and Conroy worried me too. Consistently good all league, then disappeared today. Last match they did this in was the all Ireland final. Not a good trend for the lads to carry forward to bigger matches.

very impressed with john maher in midfield today big and strong breaks a tackle and takes huge pressure off Conroy in the middle 3rd

Yeah in the last week he's almost guaranteed himself a starting jersey.

some addition for a fella that only seemed to be a bit part player , was he even on the extended panel last year , super first half today to be fair if he keeps that going for the next 10 or 12 weeks ye'r laughing

surprised ye haven't thrown the 2001 stat at the mayo boys , lost to kerry in 2000 , lost to mayo in the league final in 2001 , won the all ireland , its seriously possible again ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

And playing Meath in 2023 to win All Ireland 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

Disappointing result.

Shane Walsh needs a kick up the hole and be told to lose the ego and stop kicking frees and 45's with his left foot. He missed 2 that weren't even a hard angle, they were within the width of the large square. No need to be using a weaker foot for them. The trajectory is always low and always feel like he'll leave it shot or pull it wide. I think he's trying to "revolutionise" free taking so people look back and say "Shane Walsh started all that craic taking frees on the right with his left foot."

I thought he was poor enough when the game was in the melting pot. He made 3 or 4 kick passes from around half way that ended up in Mayo hands.

Comer missed a free from a mark that should have went over too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭HBC08

Lads,

A Mayo man here,

I always have time for PJ,nothing but respect for the guy as a player,competitor and after a shaky start is becoming a good manager too.On a personal note he's a likeable GAA man but Jesus christ the whinging is a let down.

Its really taking away from his stint as manager imo,it doesn't work in favour of his team.As an opposition supporter I enjoy it as it's a major weakness but from yer end someone would want to have a word with him.

Thought his interview was very honest and to the point. The only ones that seem to get agitated by PJ are ye Mayo bucks.... Major weakness LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Tierney is very similar to Niland in the hurling I find in terms of needing to be on frees to get the best out of him from play. I think Walsh not being taken off frees knocked a huge amount of confidence out of Tierney after the couple of misses. That's not to say Tierney doesn't need to toughen up a bit but when a lad is so young and yet so important to our attack I think he needs more consideration on dead balls. Walsh always can be liable to have bad days on the dead ball, especially in Croker.

Honest? He was claiming a penalty for preventing a goal scoring opportunity when the ball was already gone. Moaning about frees when working on the tackle technique of his defenders would be more appropriate.

He was correct....the challenge on Heaney was late and reckless. Would have been interesting what would have been the refs take on it if it was an outfield player who dived in like that. The defenders tackled very well. Im pretty sure that ye will not get frees as soft for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

Your last sentence is ridiculous.

The referee made some very dubious calls. O'Shea threw at least one (couldn't see a proper angle on the other if his arm was being held back) but both were called as frees. The slow motion replay even proved there was nothing wrong with the tackling on the 2nd one.

There was a few of those actually where Mayo players were surrounded yet got a free in.

Conroy took a big number of steps running inside and got a free and point out of it

Even if it was late and reckless that only qualifies as a yellow as was not deliberate. A penalty and black is sanction for deliberate foul preventing a goal scoring opportunity. The opportunity was already gone. Another view of collision as you seem to have not seen it.

And do point out the frees incorrectly awarded.

Holding or interfering with the arm was exactly what those frees were awarded for. Need to be taught to go after the ball not the player.

The Galway coaches should show their defenders a few videos of O'Connor, Coyne and Callinan. Textbook examples of how to defend and dispossess the opposition legally.

Conroy was waved play on as being pulled back and was eventually fouled again. Daly then got yellow for backchat, taking the lead from his manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

I think we didn't go enough to win yesterday. I think there were some positives.

The backs played well. Keeping a score conceded of 0-14 is good, especially with a few questionable frees given. Maybe they were frees but I think we were reffed to a different standard yesterday and I don't believe the same decisions would be given in a high-profile championship game. Still you should also be able to change how you tackle once you see what the referee is blowing for and not. Some of the debutants in Croke Park did well too.

The goalie did well in actually good-keeping stuff - 1 big save and catch, but again his distribution let him down at key times. There was a few scores against at key times that came directly from us losing the kick-out. We need to get better at this if we are keeping him as no.1 which I believe we are.

Obviously there are cons too. We started poorly again in Croke Park similar to the All Ireland QF and SF last year. I think the break when Heaney was injured helped us. It broke Mayo's momentum. Still we shouldn't need things like that.

Again apart from Walsh, our forwards didn't turn up again. Finnerty seemed to need an amount of space to get a shot off. Cooke grew into it but some others were missing. Mayo seemed fitter. Maybe they need to peak for earlier but again another worry.

Agreed with Walsh on kicking 45s with his left foot. There's a time and place for it and yesterday was not it. It came across to me that he was not serious about the game. Maybe since he was missing for most of the league. I'm sure he can do it but in a national final in Croke Park, just go with the tried and trusted.

Also they looked liked they were actively going for goals and we did miss some real goal chances, I believe the Maher and Tierney ones were not really on and should have pointed them. Small margins but we need better decision making.

Again, I believe Mayo deserved to win but hopefully this will help the team and management to learn from it and be better for it in the summer.

Advertisement