Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think McGrath is the only possible successor for Martin but I don't seeing them removing the Tanaiste until after the local elections at least. Big Jim is too angry/bitter and needs to focus on his own seat and his sister getting the Late Late. Calleary has no chance, waffler with no substance.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Cluedo thinks and hopes they go full term. The housing disaster will only get worse too. Every aspect of their housing plan is failing to deliver and they are way too slow to speed up planning and reform planning laws and they put their faith in quangos likes the Land Development Agency (setup 2018, massive budget, no homes built...)

--------------

Government housing body has not built one house on state lands | Business Post

At the time, Leo Varadkar that the agency would be staffed by people with proven track records in the delivery of housing and would “hit the ground running”. The Taoiseach described the LDA as “one of the most significant ever state interventions in the housing market”, and said the decision to set it up would come to be seen as significant as the ones to establish the ESB, Aer Lingus or the IDA.

-------------

Not a single house in 5 years but they did produce some more "plans"...

------------

Future of An Bord Pleanála in critical state, report warns (breakingnews.ie)

The future of An Bord Pleanála is in a “critical state”, with a backlog of cases, reduced staff morale and a need for governance reform, a report has warned.

The Office of the Planning Regulator (OPR) said the challenges around the restructuring of An Bord Pleanála will require strong leadership to help it through the “difficult period”.

Following a review of An Bord Pleanála, the OPR said there is an “urgent need” for a complete reset of the organisation.

------------

Backlog of cases at An Bord Pleanála now stands at 2,300 – the number it normally gets through in a full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

The expectation is a November 2024 election. They'll hold on as long as possible but are apparently keen to avoid an election around Christmas, or in the depths of winter in Jan/Feb. November will let them do a big giveaway budget and then in theory run the election in the afterglow of that.

I can't see it collapsing before then. Even if the Greens pulled out tomorrow the government would probably have enough support (at a price) from the rural / regional independents to keep going.

The housing crisis is projected only to get much worse before then, though, yeah. We're not building enough houses per year to make a dent in the crisis even if we were adding no more people than our natural increase. We need to be adding 50k+ housing units a year to do that and this year it'll be closer to 25k according to projections. And thats not even accounting for the close to 100,000 refugees we took in last year and the similar number projected for this year - they would require 30k new housing units a year just to house them all by themselves. Which is more than were built last year or will be built this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

O'Callaghan should have been given Justice instead of those two political paperweights. The FF result in DBS puts his seat in question. McGrath seems safer and there was an interesting comment by Paschal Donohoe a while ago about how he got on well with him. This seemed to be Donohoe sounding out being a replacement for Varadkar. Calleary is FF's Waylon Smithers to Martin's Monty Burns. If FF keeps dropping in the polls, the decision will be made about getting rid of Martin. Cowen will be one to watch for the first move on that.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McGrath seems safer 

Only if Martin doesn't run IMO. SF will surely be targeting a second seat in Cork SC. McGrath doesn't come across as a plotter but he may find himself in a situation where he needs Martin not to stand to hold his seat and the only way to make that happen is to force him out as leader. Of course the same end would be achieved if someone else replaces Martin but he may be the only senior figure willing to make the first move against Martin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ozvaldo

How have the green party with 12 tds end up holding this government to ransom and making all the decisions that effect your average person regarding all these taxes they are forcing on us ?

Therell be no second seat in cork south central for SF imo theyll lose the seat they have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I would never profess to being ‘in the know’, but imho I’d say there’s no chance this government will last another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats completely inaccurate, the parties and independents currently not in Government are not homogeneous.

You've a short memory of the 4 months Sinn Féin spent trying to form a Government after the 2020 election and failing at every turn.

Its 42>31, or 42>19, or if you get creative and coalesce Sinn Féin with the loony left, its 42>34.

I can't say if Sinn Féin will be part of the next Government or not, but I'm fairly certain that Fine Gael will be as the anchor of the centre.

Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire was almost 3000 votes over the quota on the first count in the last election, at a time when SF were polling worse than they are today. Its extremely unlikely he will lose his seat.

It'll be 1SF, 1FG, 1FF and then a battle between FF and SF for the fourth seat. With SF the favourites as things stand.

• Advertisement

Of course it will, because for it to collapse, one of the three parties would have to want to face an election as a consequence of pulling it down. And right now, none of the three do.

FG are happy enough to keep pushing policy along, FF want a chance to build their numbers a bit and the Greens know if they went to the Country now (especially if the election was blamed on them) then they would disappear from the Dáil.

There is work to be done yet, but overall, Housing won't be any worse in a year's time than it is now. It may even be a bit better. Its not the only game in town, however much Sinn Féin would push the narrative that it is.

Having this bloke in charge of one of the coalition partners, the greens either have to get rid of Ryan or they really are history, & will probably bring this government down within the next 2-3 months.

https://www.thejournal.ie/eamon-ryan-defends-eviction-ban-and-hourigan-suspension-6034914-Apr2023/

Every opposition party has been highlighting the health crisis too. It has been the worst Autumn/Winter for overcrowding ever and March broke new records. The health crisis impacts every family over time and people are fed up with the inaction. If you had to watch a loved one lying on an A&E trolley for days on end, you'd be angry too. Healthcare workers are leaving in droves because their pleas/begging for more capacity have been ignored for many years. The fact that you have Donnelly still in charge says it all.

I don't have Donnelly doing anything, I would've left Harris in there, but I understand the Covid era was taking its toll on his own underlying health issues.

There will probably be a wider reshuffle after the next budget, maybe 12 months from the Election.

Yes, health is a big issue, but as I always refer to, 48% of people have private cover anyway and the main issue with the public system is the point of entry, once you're in it, it serves patients quite well.

When it comes to floating voters hovering over a ballot paper in the booth, it's the money in their pocket that matters most, not something else that isn't a problem for them personally.

You're right about none of the parties wanting to face an election. But very much wrong on the housing crisis getting better unfortunately. To expand on the figures I mentioned above:

According to the government figures there were 29,851 houses built in 2022. But according to other sources its actually 23,751[1]. The truth was probably in the middle. This was actually down year on year in the last quarter, and projections are for only 27,000 units (using the government measurements) to be completed in 2023[2]

The Housing commission estimates Ireland needs 42,000 to 62,000 housing units built a year[3] merely to meet demand - not to reduce the existing crisis.

Then on top of this, excluding more 'normal' immigration, Ireland had close to 100,000 arrivals last year between Ukrainian refugees and asylum seekers. A similar number are still arriving each month this year as last, so we'll likely have a similar number for 2023. With an average number of people per house of 2.75 they would require approx 35,000 housing units being built per year just to house them.

This adds up to us needing 75,000-90,000 housing units needed to per year. Which means in 2022 we were at a *deficit* of 45,000 to 65,000 housing units. And the predictions are the same for 2023...

The figures are very clear - the housing crisis is going to get a lot, lot worse before it gets better.

[1]https://businessplus.ie/news/new-houses-built/

[2]https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-41091943.html

[3]https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2023/01/26/ireland-needs-almost-double-amount-of-new-builds-in-housing-targets-research-finds/

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The Green party are not doing any such thing.

Maybe explain the taxes you think are been forced on the average person from the Green party?

You asked me on the previous page whom I will vote for if not Labour, to which I answered.

I asked you who you will vote for, but for some reason you never replied. Would I be right to assume based on your comment here that you will vote green?

Maybe.

The comment above is just asking for clarification on what taxes the person thinks the Green Party are putting onto the average person. The answer could affect who I vote for next election

Okay I'm not well versed on who is applying taxes but I think I’d be right in saying the greens are forcing carbon tax on a litre of fuel?

Greens block fourth €200 electricity credit for this summer amid Coalition row

from a few weeks ago

• Advertisement

Thats not a tax

Plus it was reported and nothing else. From what I can see it wasn't to block but to move the money towards the most vulnerable

"the party will instead argue the most vulnerable families should be prioritised for support in the coming weeks through the existing social welfare system with measures such as extra fuel allowance payments and increases in the one-family payment likely to feature as part of discussions.

The Greens’ position is that it would make sense for the Coalition to wait until autumn and winter to roll out further universal energy support to households when utility bills are likely to be higher, with a focus on the most vulnerable households in the interim."

To me that makes sense ....(extract from this article)

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2023/02/16/greens-want-to-block-fourth-e200-electricity-credit-1/

And in the news today, to add to my post about the housing crisis not getting better. Things are going to get a whole lot worse for the government (and the country, sadly) on this:

Rental market forecast to shrink by further 15,000 units this year, Sherry FitzGerald warns

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/04/03/rental-market-forecast-to-shrink-by-further-15000-units-this-year-sherry-fitzgerald-warns/

If people think the crisis bad now imagine how its going to be with 15,000 less rental units available by December 2023, and another circa 100,000 extra people in the country who're set to arrive this year needing accommodation on top...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Which taxes?

The carbon tax? That was introduced in 2010.

I am trying to think of a tax introduced by the Greens in this Govt. Please remind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah shur tis fcuked, and nobody knows what to do next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Hard to believe how much of a mess we’ve made of things really.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...not really, it was fairly obvious that this was the most likely outcome, and its probably gonna get much worse to, we re clearly experiencing a catastrophic failure

Its not really "we" to be fair. The current housing mess is a direct result mostly of two things:

1) 2015-present: FF&FG's current dominant low tax/neoliberal ideology focusing all housing market efforts on the market side of things with things like the Help to Buy Scheme and HAP, instead of just engaging in massive state building of social/affordable housing.

2) 2021-present On top of that, all of FF/FG/Greens refusing to acknowledge that we're going to have to start refusing entry to the country to refugees at some point. Its a fantastic thing to be taking in people who need support, and we should absolutely be doing it in normal times, but we have to show a little bit of realism here at some point. During the worst housing crisis in the country's history, when 10,000+ Irish citizens and rising are homeless, is not a time we can be taking in 5000+ people arriving to the country every month who need housing provided for them by the government. The maths of the housing crisis aren't racist, they're just factual.

If things continue as they are, and/or get much worse as seems to be likely, the fear is we're probably going to see the rise of a far-right populist alternative here like has happened in plenty of places in Europe. That won't be good for anyone.

Yes perhaps it was introduced in 2010, but being increased year on year.

This from the last budget:

https://selectra.ie/energy/guides/billing/carbon-tax

• Advertisement

The carbon tax was been increased while the Green party wasn't in government

Advertisement