Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

In the cold light of day I'm really not too concerned with yesterday.

We had a good league overall, some good wins, good performances and plenty to be happy with going into the Championship.

Yesterday will have given Cahill a good idea of who can be relied upon to get really stuck into a battle - Tynan in particular probably nailed his spot for the entire season. Plenty of food for thought too - Breen was a complete mess under the high ball they got the goal from, he was actually facing our goal as it was coming in if I remember correctly.

2nd half Limerick decided to go full on Championship intensity and I'm very happy that some of the lads got to experience that. That's the level. That's where they need to be, they've seen it first hand so they can be under no illusions now. If Limerick hadn't upped the intensity like that, we could have won that game and gotten ahead of ourselves, and gotten a real land in Munster. That won't happen now.

You are never beating Limerick without goals and we didn't get a sniff of one. A lot of our goal threat is Jake running at high speed onto balls laid off to him - Jake just never got into the game, which was an issue in the league games he would rack up scores in too. He can be very, very peripheral for large periods of the game.

Overall, in a much better place than last year. As good a chance as anyone bar Limerick to get out of Munster. Plenty to be happy about and plenty to be working on. Huge game vs Clare in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

This league has done a lot for us, Lots of players got lots of game time, O Connor, Tynan, O Meara, Enda Heffernan, Stakelum, Connolly, Johnny Ryan, Sean Ryan, Conor Bowe, all played a significant amount of hurling at a good level.

Last night was a level of intensity and stress that they have most likely have never experienced before. As they ramp up the intensity Limerick still hurl with the most cool calm focus imaginable. I believe that their coaching is second to none in that at half time they can assess what's happened and set up to exploit the way the opposition team are playing. Remember the water breaks and the tactics board? 60 - 90 seconds to see what shape they wanted to change to and the players could adapt. Last night Coughlan and Barry Nash were quiet in the first half. In the second half they kept pouring forward as runners taking and giving pop passes and breaking into space. Limerick absolutely flooded their half backline in the second half and totally slaughtered us there.

Last night highlighted issues that are there, and will need to be addressed. The full backline? Breen has been/hasn't been, our choice there. If he's not (and I don't believe he ever will be a full back) we've wasted a lot of time there. Ronan could drop in there fine. Bonner isn't working, he's simply not winning enough ball.

From last year we are missing Dillon Quirke, Barry Heffernan and Craig Morgan. That's a massive hole to fill in an evolving team.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

The team that started last night more than likely will start against clare. Maybe bonner won't start but maybe he will. Barrett and callinan may not be back in time.

So we have a complete new full back line, new centre back, and 2 other new starters. That's 5 players in their first season and breen playing full back first Time at this level. Our.bench Is completely inexperienced bar kehoe and John mcgrath.

We will not be far off though clare game a big one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Last night was ideal for Tipperary. They played very well for periods and had weak areas highlighted in the end. They won't meet many teams who can lift it like Limerick. A lot of young players and some injuries. A month's preparation without the stress of a League final a few weeks before championship will be what's best for them at this point.

• Advertisement

You make some good points. But I can't agree that it was ideal.

One thing that showed up, that was bound to show up, was the options a management team, in terms of tactics variation and personnel, has in year five/six has over a new management team.

We need to figure out more tactics of playing the ball out. But also the option runs being made up front for guys playing the ball out needs to be far greater. How many of those can you develop after a few months in the job? Not many. And that's the rock Tipp will perish on this year - especially against Limerick.

After last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least three changes up front for the Clare game. And, I think Enda and Podge should have got a lot more time during the league. When we're playing Limerick again, Enda, Podge, Bowe, and Sean Ryan will have to start. You need lads who have the power to stand over a ball and get it up - and hold off a man while passing it. Amazed O'Connor wasn't tried full forward for a bit if you're looking for an inside forward who can win or break ball.

Noel looked best when playing from deep and looking for options but can you afford that type of luxury against Limerick?

Counted two Tipp forwards against four backs in the full back line in the second half more times that I'd like...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

The fact that nothing was sticking with Bonnar was definitely an issue for Jake. Against Waterford it was noticeable how Jake was running anticipating breaks etc off Bonnar, last night nothing was coming off him.

Noel and Jake will do well to keep their places for Ennis. I wouldn't be picking them anyway (not that that counts for much). While Bonnar ran himself into the ground, he had not a lot to show for it. The likes of Jake and Kehoe don't work hard enough. Noel didn't work hard enough last night either. Couple of lads are hiding from where it hurts to go. That's criminal.

Jason is our best forward. Time to bring in the likes of Sean Ryan, Bowe, and maybe bring Dan back up, around him. Perhaps, the energy and running of Stakelum and Tynan might be needed up front to track runners - they have the pace and energy to do it.

I think Enda Heff and John Campion need to start too. Maybe they could form a defensive midfield pairing. We're too open as it is.

The movement and running of Ger Browne and Barry Heffernan is badly missed. It would really give us something different and long range point taking ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 89tipp91

Much rather the skill and vision of Noel on the pitch moreso than the energy of Stakelum but certainly most of the forwards as you say weren't working hard enough and it really showed in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

You gave me a bolixn a few weeks ago when I suggested ye were ahead of us this year 😂

I still stand on that I really do last night was a perfect example, that game was played at championship pace for most of it and ye stood up to it

Bonner has been excellent, forde is on top of his game again Jake Morris is dangerous in fairness as is Noel, enda heffernan has been Excellent

Can you say that about Clare this year , fair enough we have a different approach but it's a more risky one

That's why I have you lot ahead of us at the moment, although seamie being out pulls it back in our favour 4 weeks today

• Advertisement

Did you see it? We're outscored, what was it, 1-8 to 4 points in the first 15 mins for the second half.

When it came to crunch time, we were well beaten.

Ennis is an important factor in this too.

A nice handy one for ye to start ye off.

I did and as we all know like the time ye were 10 points up at half time a few years ago, the Limerick lads got a whiff of asthma at half time and given the usual doses of adrenaline from Dr McManus as we all know by now 😜

We don't have such doctors up here in Clare were more like mountain climbers that forget were afraid of heights

A nice handy on my bolix 😂

• Morris is only dangerous when he's not being marked.

That's quite possible to repeat in 4 weeks time , especially if Rory Hayes is starting for us

I wouldn't give up on Jake after one game. He is still incredibly lethal and lay a ball off to him when he is running at pace and odds are he is getting a look at goal.

He will need to develop his game more to get more involved, to make sure he doesn't impact the game in fits and spurts (or not at all as happened last night).

Our best path to victory in games is still going to be goals and he is our best way of getting them. We take him out and we lose a lot of our killer instinct.

I'd be strongly against benching him vs Clare. I'd much rather drop Bonnar and play someone who is a threat themselves as well as being able to set up Jake.

I think we've plenty of forwards capable of goals.

But can we carry Jake's lack of work rate?

To my thinking, in the modern game, now more than ever, there's room for one sharpshooter and Forde does that but also has, crucially, work rate. Limerick and Kilkenny are not carrying any forward - as far as I can see, and they'll opt for work rate over a sharp shooter all day. Why should Tipp carry someone? I think both Forde and Bowe have goals in them and work rate. We've got to prioritize work rate after last night. Work rate leads to turn overs that can lead to goals.

I think Sheedy had it right, Morris and Kehoe are best coming on with 15 or 10 mins to go - when the game gets loose and defenders get tired. I was also less than impressed with Kehoe's effort after he came on. But I'm not giving up on Jake after one game - but I'm saying last night's performance does not lend itself to a championship start.

I'm of the mindset that copying what Limerick are doing but being worse at it will always have you behind. I'd rather take the chance with Jake than play somebody not as dangerous but who will work harder. If that means we have to be a bit smarter in our play elsewhere, so be it.

If the handoffs/layoffs to Jake work out I think that we can blow teams away in an instant by getting 3/4/5 goals in a game.

Last night didn't go well for him, of course. But nobody is matching what Limerick brought in the 2nd half last night. I wouldn't be ripping up everything because things didn't go to plan against the clear best team in the country.

I think Jake Morris will be the top goalscorer in the championship this year. I am absolutely convinced of it.

How is dropping Jake and Noel ripping up everything? Part of creating competition for places and setting high standards is dropping players when they under perform....

You believe all that, despite not creating one goal chance last night? Never mind getting one goal?

Teams set up and defence will be a lot different come championship. A lot tighter.

You seem to think Jake is our only avenue to goals. I don't agree. I hope he scores lots of goals but the lack of work rate and fight last night is a major worry. I'm not saying he was the only one up front not pulling his weight but it's not acceptable. Saw too much of that last year.

• Jake only scores when nobody's marking him. Sean Finn had him in his pocket for the hour

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Noel I'm much easier about dropping, I think at his age, his gametime is going to naturally reduce - he will start some, start others off the bench. He is still a quality player, he got a score the other night and it was absolutely beautiful - but I agree that Noel probably can't cope with that level of intensity anymore. Likewise I think a fresh Bonnar would be very useful to have if we are getting overrun in the 2nd half of a game, having that fresh guy off the bench with insane workrate.

I do think that Jake is our main avenue for goals, not the only avenue but definitely the main one, I think the other night was just him being a bit lost against the best team in the country. The layoffs weren't happening, Bonnar wasn't able to tee anything up for him, he was starved of possession and as a result I think he wasn't sure where to be. I think that the coaching staff need to examine that and have a better plan for when he ends up on the periphery of a game. Where does he go when that happens. Maybe Cahill needs to have a word with him during games. But for me, I think he is integral to our approach this year and as such I would be looking for ways to ensure his Saturday performance isn't repeated, rather than dropping him entirely on the back of a poor performance against the best team in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Cahill is only starting the rebuild which in fairness colm bonner started last year. It will take time for cahill to build a panel good enough to match clare Cork waterford Galway and the cats.

We have to be patient as I think tipp getting out of munster will be a very good year. Not trying to play down tipp but for me we are not as strong as people are making out.

Tipperary v Wexford – Saturday April 8th in aid of Ryan O'Dwyer.

Tipperary senior hurlers will play Wexford in Páirc na nEalaí on Saturday April 8th at 3pm in aid of Ryan O'Dwyer.

More information, and to donate to Ryan's Go Fund Me page, please visit https://gofundme.com/f/ryan-o-dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Some of the recency bias here is hilarious! Two weeks ago we were ready to take on the world, suddenly after a poor 35 mins hurling (which followed a 35 mins that no other county outside of Limerick have come close to) we are sh*te again and we need to drop 6 or 7 lads!

Cards on the table, I said here at the begining of the year that we would not win a game in Munster this year with the draw we have and the turnover of players, and while I have been very impressed with Cahill and Bevans I still think we face a mammoth task to get a win.

Barrett and Morgan are two huge losses, I wouldn't have any great confidence in either corner back. Ronan Maher needs to be told that if takes another fcukin shot at goal he is off, the guy is supposed to be a leader and he hits 4-5 stupid wides every game, brainless.

Stakelum hasn't done enough to partner Tynan I feel, Campion of Heffernan to wing back and Dan McCormack back to the middle.

Noel McGrath will start every game and if anyone thinks we have 6 better forwards they are deluded. O'Connor has been a huge positive. Forde is the best forward in the country at the moment not to mind the county but who will the two corner forwards be - two of Morris, Bowe and Ryan I guess with probably the first two getting the nod.

I'm reminded of the old Fianna Fail election slogan ' a lot done more to do'

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Didn't hear anybody here saying we'd take limerick anytime soon , Our first 35 minutes was nothing exceptional as limerick got all too easy scores while we fought hard for most of ours . The rest of the best don't suffer our kind of 2nd half collapse as we are now accustomed to doing. I'd agree Cahill and Co have done a great job in getting us back to near where we should be

The players we've lost in the last 24 months is catastrophic for tipp hurling. I believe Ronan has been destroying tipperarys forward play for years and when things go against tipp he's happy to give away pointless frees also

As for Noel, like you I don't think we've 6 better. The same criticism was hurled his way this time last year and he turned out to be the best we had

We have good forwards coming through and I think we've enough to beat the rest of munster but limerick are a good bit away from us yet

Limericks Cian Lynch is transferring to Loughmore Castleiney.

In a short statement Lynch said

“It’s been a boyhood dream of mine to play with my fathers club and to tog out with the likes of Noel McGranth and bring back the Dan Breen to Loughmore. The Tipperary blood in me is just too strong to resist going back to the home of hurling.“

how many April fools jokes do you do weekly , last sunday you announced some challenge match in aid of the brothers of charity on the 23rd of April . id say the lads going to the brothers of charity didnt believe that one !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Paddico

Anyone have any inside news regarding the fooballers playing a championship first round this Sunday.

Any updates on injuries etc?

• Advertisement

If you've got a Season Ticket get on and claim your tickets for first two games. Very limited seating obviously at Cusack Park.

Advertisement