Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I wonder who has the contract for the new kitchens and what happens the perfectly good kitchens that are taken out?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm putting a warning on thread - a lot of the recent posts between a couple of particular posters are flirting the line around attacking a poster and not the post.

Cut it out before I have to issue warnings and cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

For giggles, I asked ChatGPT this... just to see what the general impression is, after the general knowledge of the internet is churned through an AI.

What are some steps to reduce a shortage in housing at a national level?

This was the response, items 2 and 6 are relevant to my point in Cork, and this discussion.

Here are some steps that could be taken to reduce the shortage of housing at a national level:

1. Increase funding for affordable housing: One of the main causes of the housing shortage is the lack of affordable housing options. Increasing funding for affordable housing programs, such as a Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, can help to create more affordable housing units.
    2. Streamline the regulatory process: The process of obtaining permits and approvals for housing development can be time-consuming and costly. Streamlining this process can help to reduce the cost of construction and make it easier to build new housing units.
    3. Provide incentives for developers: Providing tax incentives or other benefits for developers who build affordable housing units can help to encourage the construction of new housing units.
    4. Implement inclusionary zoning policies: Inclusionary zoning policies require developers to set aside a certain percentage of housing units for low-income residents. This can help to increase the supply of affordable housing in areas where it is needed most.
    5. Increase funding for housing vouchers: Housing vouchers provide low-income families with rental assistance, making it easier for them to afford housing. Increasing funding for housing vouchers can help to reduce the number of people who are experiencing homelessness or living in overcrowded or unsafe housing.
    6. Encourage mixed-use developments: Mixed-use developments that combine residential and commercial spaces can help to increase the supply of housing units in areas where space is limited. These developments can also help to create more vibrant and walkable communities.

Does this explain my point better? Or are you still unconvinced, and think nothing at all can be improved, the system is super-duper-perfect as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not a Member : "but I think it must be very boring for the rest of the community at this stage."

Yup, it's me boring the arse off of everyone in this thread! Yes sir. Sorry about that 😂.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

building regulations are national not local

at no point have i said the system is perfect. i have said that it can be worked with relatively easily and blaming the council/fire officer etc is an easy out despite usually not being the problem

i also agree that mixed use development is to be encouraged. accessing your property via someone else's property in the way you described however is not to be encouraged. potentially very unsafe conversion of units is also not to be encouraged even if it would provide housing

• Advertisement

building regulations are national not local

So you're confirming what I have been saying all the time. About time that you recognised it. It took a while!!

They could do with making a trip to the Melbourne Road again. The bike lanes they put in are a mess, full of wind blown debris, glass and muck. They've been this way since they were installed. I cycle the road 2-3 times per week and have had to stop using the bike lane as it is so bad. I also drive there regularly and could count on one hand the number of cyclists I've seen using the lane.

But then, we can howl about how cyclists don't use cycle lanes = cycle lanes are a waste of money.

Can we get rid of them, now, so there's more space for driving fast in comfort and more places to park our cars, please. Oh and save the trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

back on topic... there seems to be more and more begging/off their heads/strung out in and around the city.. so sad to see

I have visitors coming down to visit in the summer - booked them into Oriel House as oppose to a hotel in the city - its not pleasant to hang around these days.. having to jump over people who are out of it - any time of day

That's a pity.

Your visitors have never been in a city before? Most people who take city breaks accept the fact that cities have beggers, homeless people and substance abusers.

Was in Paris in November. A huge, visible increase in street dwellers, since I was last there. Still, I wouldn't have wanted to be staying outside the city for my break.

To be honest, if I was visiting a city and my hosts put me out in the suburbs, I'd be raging.

Unfortunately, the more people abandon the city, the more anti social behaviour flourishes.

• Advertisement

Or just clean them. Or better still, remove the bollards as they don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Im familar with both citys, Paris has far more police knocking around which ensures the city centre is safe despite some drug addicts around the place.

Its only the past ten years that Cork city centre has become as intimidating as it now is, drug addiction has gone through the roof in cork and its not far behind Dublin or Limerick in terms of drug crime. I often visited cork city for a days shopping but stopped in recent years as it has become grubbier and more dangerous with each passing year .

Not enough guards, Soft on Crime Judges, Moral less Free Legal Aid solicitors & Weak Politicians are to blame.

they are not here for a city break - its to see us and go visit some places down West Cork - i'll be driver.. they are getting trains..

lots of nice enough places to eat in BC..

they have been to the city b4 - when it wasn't so "messy" thankfully

like, my heart goes out to them - no one wants to live like that - but its not my job to sort it out.. all I know is that it depressed the hell out of me when in the city.. no way do I wanna bring visitors there.. sad but true I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

The issue isn't the supposedly "liberal leftie" government but the fact that Ireland, as a nation and a society, is pathologically unable to see any plan through to its logical conclusion, plan ahead, or is willing to put its money where its mouth is! This is independent of whichever political flavor you look at. You've got people calling for a hardline approach to antisocial behavior, but at the same time unwilling to spend even a single cent for the required increase in the number of gardaí, the necessary equipment, or the increase in prison space that would need to go along with such a hardline approach. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got people who advocate for a softie-softie approach focusing on rehabilitation and education, yet those very same voices will decry any tax increase to fund those measures and will often even be unwilling to accept rehab facilities or injection rooms within even the same time zone as their home.

This goes beyond law enforcement. It affects defense, infrastructure, education, the healthcare system. There is a consistent inability to bring any project through to its conclusion, or to even give it the proper funding. Ireland wants to be neutral but is unwilling to invest in a military strong enough to enforce that neutrality if needed. It wants to move to an NHS style system but is unwilling to take the necessary drastic steps needed for that, leaving us with a poorly implemented botch job called the HSE. The government wants to reduce Ireland's carbon footprint but is unwilling to invest into public transport to such a degree that it would have an effect. In fact, it is not even willing to stand up to NIMBYs or special interest groups that are doing their best to sabotage these projects. And don't even get me started on housing!

Add a completely disinterested and apathetic city council, both in its elected member and it's no wonder why Cork is the way it is. This isn't a Cork issue, it's not even a left-vs-right issue, it's an issue that Ireland as a whole is unwilling to commit itself and walk the walk!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

i dont see how you could come to that conclusion to be honest

I sent Cork City Council an email about my observations 2 mths ago and no reply - v v bad form - not even an acknowledgement.

Like when I emailed them about the smelly water down centre park rd.. they threw the email from one dept to another - passing the book - with no actually feedback in the end - a joke..

Drugs seem to be a major issue - soooo many off their heads in town - tis not alcohol.. more needs to be done

What the feck are the people in power doing???!! grrr

Well, if the "gold plated" regulations are the same across the country and Cork CC are the worst performing council in the country for the provision of housing, it must be the self serving members of the council and executive that are responsible. They are actively preventing the provision of homes using among others, planning and fire regulations.

See posts #44 and #48, this is simply what I have been saying all the time. The council are discouraging people from living in the centre of the city and thus contributing to the increase of anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

Honestly, I'm with you. I'm normally more at home on the left side of the political spectrum in a lot of my views, but I've gotten to the point where I'd welcome even a very hardline law and order approach if it was backed up by the needed funds!

Regarding your social welfare comments, once again, I'm with you: spend smarter, not more! But it's not just an issue of social welfare spending alone. Infrastructure planning is social welfare, urban design is social welfare, education is social welfare and yes, even public security is social welfare. All of these are connected and should be approached as such. The silo approach that's been taken so far is a recipe for disaster.

Feck all is what they're doing. There's a general apathy in the council for anything that doesn't directly help a councilor get re-elected or gets the council CEO another front-page story & positive coverage! The few councilors that do try to get something done, mostly, it has to be said the likes of Lorna Bogue, Fiona Ryan and other left-wing representatives, are bogged down and stonewalled. I think it's time to replace "Statio Bene Fida Carinis" with "Don't rock the boat" as the city motto.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Excellent post.

I want more guards. Lock them up. House everyone.

BTW, I pay way, way too much tax!

• Advertisement

as far as i am aware, that is much more to do with the fact that they generally gut houses completely between tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Our city has it's issues for sure and i agree that Cork is not as good a city as it once was, but overall it's still no worse than any other small to medium sized city. Thankfully unlike Dublin and Limerick in the noughties, gangland feuding and killings are very rare in Cork. I did say earlier in this thread that i feel that Cork has gone downhill since about 2014/2015 onwards, and yes not enough guards on the beat and a soft legal system is a serious issue.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Same thing. But also these houses can sit boarded up for years before they're touched by the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

I think this is what one of the posters was saying above.

If your attitude is "look over there at least we don't have X", then we've already lost and it becomes inevitable.

Hopefully as the shortcomings in relation to enforcement and serving of justice becomes more and more evident, and highlighted by the population increasing, then something will be done.

20 new judges appointed last month because of the backlog in handing out suspended sentances as the carousel goes around and around.

We should be starting to build prisons anyway for whats coming, but also so in future people with a requisite number of qualifying convictions (assuming they're only caught x% of the time) have to serve actual real jail time.

A multiplier effect with 100's of repeat offenders locked up and off the streets rather than in and out of court like a game, wasting police time and causing havoc, but making select stakeholders lots of our money in the name of a decent society.

Hopefully something is done soon, as the bar of what's considered acceptable continues to be lowered.

Ireland's population has increased from 3.8m in 2000 to almost 5.1m today. An increase of 34%.

None of our infrastructure, health, Justice, housing etc. has kept pace with, or planned for this. A very poor reflection on the abilities of our local and central government planners.

But I suppose as they say you get the government (local & national) that you vote for!

Where does the money come from to pay for all this? Increasing taxation isn't really a big vote winner.

It costs an eye watering sum to keep someone in prison!

Also, the love of locking people up in the US hasn't exactly eradicated crime, has it?

While I don't disagree with anything you've said. It ain't that simple to implement what you want and the consequences aren't always what you intend.

Prevention and rehabilitation are always better than incarceration but these things are complicated and time consuming.

Personally, I'd like to see all crimes involving violence cracked down on, in particular.

It costs an eye watering sum to keep someone in prison!

The commonly quoted cost being bandied around of keeping a prisoner locked up (circ €100k in mountjoy) is not wrong, but is more than a little misleading and used to promote certain positions.

Without going into a full blown economics or accountancy lecture, the €100k above represents the average cost of keeping someone locked up and includes all the fixed costs such as the IPS HQ in Longford and costs in the Dept of Justice among others.

In actual fact the cost of putting 1 more individual in prison for a year (the marginal cost) amounts to little more than food and clothing. Hundreds of euro as opposed to the hundreds of thousands quoted. All the other costs are there anyway.

End of lecture😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

If Irelands richest people like Larry Goodman, Denis O Brien, JP McManus etc etc paid their taxs in Ireland like everyone else instead of routing them through Luxemburg, Switzerland Malta etc we could build a few more prisons and employ more guards and we'd have a safer Cork City and Ireland generally!

But prisons are full. You can't put more prisoners in a full prison for the cost of food and clothing, can you?

If there was lots of capacity in the system, your claim would make sense.

The reality is if we want to lock more people away, it means building, maintaining and staffing more prisons. That doesn't come cheap.

• Advertisement

Investment in infrastructure is seldom, if ever cheap. Nor would you necessarily want it to be. Think of the National Childrens Hospital, the new Cork airport terminal or even the new prison in Rathmore rd.

The relevant question in relation to infrastructure investment is not how much will it cost? But rather is there value to it!

Advertisement