Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

His set pieces are very good and easily better than anyone we've got around the squad. As you said though would probably need to be doing it at a better level, especially if he's gonna be seen as back up for the holding role.

Gibraltar I'd have no qualms with him playing and someone with his strengths would be better suited than Molumby or Knight who could likely start for that game. Long term if he wants to be in the senior squad though he needs to be doing it at a better level. If Knight hadn't been part of the squad for awhile being in League One would probably have seen him not picked.

Will be interesting to see whether teams above League One will show interest in him or if he sticks around at Barnsley for another season even if they're not promoted. He's still young and after that stint at Celtic staying somewhere where he's already a starter could be valuable for another season.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Looks like O'Shea and Molumby both came off with injuries last Monday.

O'Shea will be missing for 7-8 weeks with a knee injury whilst Molumby has a groin injury and will be out for a month.

The Championship season finishes on the 8th of May, whilst the playoff final is on the 27th of May. West Brom are currently 9th in the Championship and 5 points off the playoffs.

Ireland face Greece on the 16th of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, yes, and no. He was relating a story that happened, but omitting some absolutely key details to make it look far far worse and more dramatic than it was - which, in turn is what blows the story totally out of proportion.

If you didn't know the context, that story would sound like he was the number 9, had been Ireland's number 9 for years, and this was a new manager coming in and pushing him out. But the reality is that McGoldrick was firmly our number 9, and would remain our number 9, and this was a nice little gesture from Kenny to give Idah the 9 for this one game since he was getting his first ever Ireland start while McGoldrick was out.

Shane says that this was the moment he "knew the writing was on the wall"... what writing?! this makes it sound like he's being forcefully pushed out, rather than the reality that he'd already been phased out back in 2018 and had just been thrown a lifeline with his first call-up in 2 years! Kenny gave him 6 more caps after he'd previously been left in the wilderness, his international career firmly dead and buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

The Shane Long story annoys me.

Loved Shane and his commitment but let's be real. He was out of squad for 2 years, hadn't scored in 4. Even during the Euros where people sang he was on fire he wasn't.

Great player for us but time passes and so on. The entitlement to the number annoys me. Many other wore it when he was away.

Saying Kenny embarrassed etc is nonsense. And an unnecessary dig at Idah "not earning" it annoyed me more even though I'm not sold on Idah.

Disappointing.

That's blow for us as both players might have no games played before June's games bar a possible friendly for Ireland. Well O'Shea definitely won't Molumby might have one game.

Kenny putting a lot of preparation into the Greece game. There's a four day mini training camp in England when the PL ends and then there's a nine day warm weather training camp in Turkey. Has also asked for a friendly to be played during the training camp. It won't be an official friendly with caps involved so everyone gets a run out presumably.

Sites the long gap between end of the championship season and the heat from last summers game in Armenia as the reason for the changes in preparation this summer.

Fine finish from Tom Cannon. At this stage it's Parrott who should be playing with the U21s for a bit and Cannon a senior call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Brendan Rogers is available if things don't go well this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I doubt he'll be that desperate for a job

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

We've got great players in need of some effective tactics. It's only a part-time job and if it goes well he might get a job in the Championship or SPL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We have a couple of good players. I wouldn't rate any of them as great 🤔

• Advertisement

You talking about the lad that was supposedly on 10m a year? Probably earned more in one year than MON did in his five years with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

you managed to pack an impressive amount of inaccurate statements into just 2 sentences

We haven’t one great player, never mind multiple.

unless Brodge goes into semi retirement he will consider a job with Ireland beneath him.

the FAI cannot cover 7 figure salaries which is what he would want.

There is almost no chance his next job would be in the champ or Scotland.

Could see him replacing Southgate unless they want someone whose English.

Seems we're spoiled for choice now with Graham Potter also available.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Rodgers said in the past that he is a Northern Irishman and couldn't see himself managing the Republic. Not that he's a realistic option anyway.

They'll be fighting each other over whose gonna take the 95% pay cut to manage Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Do you have a source for that by any chance? Not that I don't believe you but I never heard that before and always thought of him as a good option for Ireland when he's coming towards the end of his career (as in many years from now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He may have changed his mind at some stage, but he was asked about international management back when he was with Celtic and Ireland had an opening, and was very open to any future international job at that stage;

"I want to manage at international level at some point in my career. I hope to be coaching for another 20-odd years, so there is plenty of time. For me, it can be anywhere — any country. But I’m happy in Scotland for now."

He was asked on OTB years ago, in his Swansea days as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

What a fool...

Imagine holding a grudge over something so trivial? Totally embarrassing!

You'd think Shane Long would be more disturbed by his abysmal goal scoring record at both club and country? But no, it's a bloody shirt number that keeps him awake at night apparently!? 🤨

I'm glad he's gone. They used to call Ole Solskjaer the "baby faced assassin"... well Long has a baby face too, but he was certainly no assassin. The lad couldn't hit a barn door... but he does have the personality of a baby, so there is always that! 🤣

Good riddance. This sort of sh!te taints whatever legacy I would have given the chap, for me anyway. I know others will disagree.

I always liked his commitment on the pitch, but it's rather embarrassing that he has 88 caps for his country. Up there with Glenn Whelan's 91 caps... a dark time for the Ireland team with regards to the talent we had available. Hopefully some better times to come.

I wouldn't want him anyway...

I'm a Celtic fan, and the man is a spineless snake!

All he really cares about is money and his ego. He's a big time charlie as they used to say.

And did you see Celtic's performances in the Champions League under him? Cricket scores... he'd be useless setting us up against stronger opposition. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,699 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Glenn Whelan would probably be a lock in the current team.

Worth remembering that if he doesn’t exist we probably don’t go to euro 2016 (key goals vs Poland and Germany) which was the brightest time in a pretty dark decade for the team. So I think you’re way OTT.

I think footballers as a general rule are deeply insecure and immature emotionally.

Not a chance...

I suppose next you're gonna say Keith Andrews would be a shoe in as well?

Plodders and journeymen.

You're giving me heartburn... 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Undoubtedly but the Paddy Power-esque memes mean Whelan is terrible.

• Advertisement

Imagine holding a grudge over something so trivial? :)

I'm only responding to his grudge... he started it! 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

This is going to be the biggest issue for Kenny. Absolutely everyone stating Ireland must beat Greece away in June are ignoring the fact that two thirds of the squad wont have played a game for at least 4 weeks. Just listen to a OTB podcast from yesterday and a journalist said its beat Greece or bust for Kenny while ignoring the fact most of the players will not be match fit by the time the game comes around. I'd bite your hand off for a draw over there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,699 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looks at how many of our midfielders have played at a level above the championship. Hendrick and Cullen with his 4 PL appearances, Glenn Whelan and his 275. Alright.

He, at his best walks into the team and we'd kill to have someone playing at that level with any regularity. Cullen hopefully changes that trend next year

I personally wouldn’t kill for a Glenn whelan. He played most of those midfield games with stoke. He was there to break up the play and pass it to Matthew etherington etc or play it into the channels.

for now ireland need a progressive central midfielder to play through teams not just around the side of them.

I respect anyone with the amount of caps but I wouldn’t long to have him back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Fair play!

You have managed to make an even bigger fool of yourself than Shane Long!

Long scored 17 goals for Ireland and has scored 56 goals in the Premier League, not bad for a lad that 'couldn't hit a barn door'

As for Rodgers, don't talk scutter, he won 7 out of 7 trophies while at Celtic and left them 8 points clear when Lennon took over. Rodgers talks an amount of shi*e and only cares about himself and his inflated ego but to suggest his is a poor manager is silly. You are probably one of the lads that spend two years singing about 'Rodgers staying for ten in a row' then spent the next 4 years telling everyone how crap he was, I think you used the word embarrassing earlier, fairly appropriate alright!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Disgraceful post.

Funny how all you've achieved in the game, and for your country,can be disdainfully forgotten by a fan on their next media fix.

Another young lad off to a club on the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

It says Cork City, but just like Brighton's Mark O'Mahony, he started at Carrigaline United!

On paper a very good draw. Have drawn possibly the weakest pot 1 team in hosts Hungary and avoided big hitters in Pot 2 like Italy, Germany, and England.

There have been plenty of plodders that had a decent spell in the PL... and Whelan was definitely a plodder.

Yes, 17 goals in 88 games... which is a terrible scoring rate. And he went 4 years without netting a single goal for us.

And yes, 56 PL goals in 344 games (I'm not surprised you didn't mention that last detail)... again an abysmal scoring rate.

I stand by my assessment, the lad couldn't hit a barn door!

And as regards your Rodgers remarks, you're making quite a lot of brain dead assumptions there. (again not surprising). You know nothing about me. Rodgers is a chancer, and I've always been of that opinion going back to his Liverpool stint. We walked the league with zero competition. The only real test Rodgers had, was in Europe... and he was shown up for his complete tactical naivety at that level. And then he jumped ship at first opportunity of a juicy payday. The gig is up for Brendan... the emperor has no clothes!

So many hot takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Adds another few million to Brighton's valuation for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I really hope he stays put there for a few seasons. Last thing you'd want is a big transfer to a Chelsea or City to sit on the bench half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭trashcan

I agree, but if one of those clubs were to throw enough money at Brighton you know the deal would happen. Financially it would obviously be great for Even too. The danger is, as you say, if he ended up on the bench a lot that he could stagnate a bit. From an Ireland point of view vapour the next couple of years we want him playing regularly.

True.

But if he went somewhere like Newcastle, for example, he would stand a better chance of starting and might get CL experience at a very young age. Imagine how good he could be, with that sort of top level experience before he's even 20.... just look at haaland, playing for Dortmund in the CL at that age. But again, Dortmund didn't buy him to sit on the bench. I think Bellingham's father actually insisted that he would only go to a club that intended to start him every week, and Dortmund gave these guarantees to him so he signed for them too.

Ferguson (or his agent) should be asking these questions with any clubs looking to sign him.

Incredibly unlikely he'd start over a fit Isak.

For his career the best thing would be stay at Brighton for next year.

If Brighton were just lower mid table fodder he could look to move already but Brighton are so much more. Perfect club for him right now

Hopefully Brighton can keep the team and manager in place for another season at least. Perfect place for him to learn next season with added benefit that Brighton should hopefully have some European football.

Think of all the big clubs a move to United in time wouldn't be bad for the lad. His style of play would suit what Ten Hag would want in a CF. Would already do a better job than Weghorst imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

If Ferguson goes anywhere he should be left on loan at Brighton for another year or 2. Could see Spurs going for him if Kane moves on but not sure if thats a good move

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jesus wept. Man U are a disaster of a club. I wouldn't want any of the Irish team there.

Are you a Man U fan by any chance?

I think you're the one showing the obvious bias (and therefore hypocrisy) in your post.

There's only one reason someone would prefer Irish players playing for Preston, Wigan, Norwich than go to Man United and it certainly isn't because they are a disaster of a club.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement