Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I always rated TAA and thought he was just going through a run of bad form but yesterday was a turning point for me. I see a player with no fight, determination, defensive awareness or top defensive attributes. He may still turn it around but his weaknesses are far outweighing his strengths atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Just on this clip here. I'm in 2 minds of it

1) Trent is the only one pressing and trying to win the ball back. Actually putting the effort in.

2) A needless case of expending energy as the game has been lost. It's a bit of the 'Wilshere'. Showing himself to be trying after the game is lost. He used to be guilty of putting in tackles and getting booked to make it seem like he is trying, after being poor for an hour and losing the midfield battle - the reason for losing the game.

While I have defended Trent at times this season, I think this example is more #2 than #1.

What annoys me though is that this happens a good bit, Trent will press high, without support from beside / behind him in midfield. He expends energy that maybe could be conserved for other parts of the game. No doubt there will be some clip of him 30 or 60 seconds later jogging back towards goal, or slow to move / react as he is tired from sprinting here. It's not good use of his energy levels. He has bulked up more over the previous years too which seems to have taken away some of his athleticism. He was never the quickest anyways, but his general movement and changes of pace have been affected.

In previous seasons that help was there and Trent was actually brilliant at interceptions around the half way line and would start counter attacks from there. Or his pressing would allow the secondary presser to intercept and start the counter that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

I reckon lots of players at the top level don't fancy that style of play. If you'd the choice who'd actually go for it over playing possession based football.... Sort of relies on players coming from a lesser tier of club...anyone established would be thinking fnck that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Rodgers gone, ReaDY mAde rePlaCEmeNT to WhiP us iNtO ShApe fOr ThE run in! Get Klopp OuT nOw hE's DoNe.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

He wasn't the only one expending energy needlessly yesterday. I was keeping a close eye on Henderson yesterday and I found it crazy how he was running around the middle of the pitch like a lunatic, just following the ball, and not getting anywhere close to pressuring a City player. He was killing himself chasing his tail basically.

It was frightening how bad we were second half yesterday. We looked completely disjointed and defeated. It reminded me of Utd's second half against us. Gapko and Allison about the only players who put in a half decent performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

He shouldn't even be up there,this is the problem,trent tends to be everywhere except where he should be

Did you say the same about Andy Robertson in that famous clip against Man City a few years ago?

The issue with pressing is that it has to be done in packs in order for it to work effectively. Trent was going alone. Did he decide to just go off and do it while not being instructed to or did everyone else just not bother pressing while being instructed to? It's worrying that it's down to one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well can't rely on Utd to do us a favor there anyway.

8 points off fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah I think top 4 is beyond us if Newcastle hold on for the win here, 8 points leaves us way too much to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I gave up on it after the Bournemouth game, it's clear this team isn't capable.

I knew, well felt, it'd be over after this horrible week of fixtures but Id banked on a Utd result here even in that sitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Imagine how much worse we might play now the top 4 is no longer a possibility! Even the few who are bothered will give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Leicester haven't signed a players in 47 years. Rodgers is a good manager, he'd be ideal for Chelsea with all the money to burn, he'd show his worth there I'm sure of it.

Not possible?? Why so. We're right there ready to pounce. It's funny how United get so much praise, great attack, great defense , and yet we've scored far more, and conceded far less. Not much wrong at Liverpool, top 5 best defensive in the league, top 5 best goal scorers, we're just not finishing our chances, we should have made it 0-2 yesterday, and 0-45 away to Everton, 8-2 home to Leeds, 1-3 away to Forest, but no, we took 1 lousy point from those 4 games even though we had 65 shots, but only scored 2 goals in all those games. 2! from 65!

Football is noT complicated, goals win games, that rule will never change, but if you don't score well the result is a loss , or a draw. WHO KNEW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Remember when Trent was the best full-back to ever play the game? That was hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

For 3 seasons, he was the best in the World and the team benefited from it. He’s had a horrific season this season.

• Advertisement

Nope, he created 100s of chances, and none were taken, and then the opposition scored from the space he left making those chances, which is not an issue, if we score 3 and conceded 1

None were taken? He has 47 assists!!!! He is 1st and 2nd on the PL assists in a season list. But like I said, he’s been awful this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

The current PPG we are looking at 70 points for 4th, that might drop off a little so 9/10 wins out of 11 I think is far beyond this team probably end with 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I'm in shock people still thought top 4 was on regardless of the United result tonight.

Massive rebuild is needed this summer whether it'll happen or not who knows but the complication of Europe is probably not needed next season. Finish 7th sign 3/4 starters in the summer (3 midfielders and someone to take over/cover for Trent or CB) and attack the league next season with everything.

I agree with others in that I think klopp needs a couple of decent and fit players and suddenly other problem areas will click into place. I don't think we're a million miles away but this season has been done for a long time. The United result, dare I quote Gary Neville, was a freak result. The proof has been in the pudding since.

The owners rightly get a lot of abuse for the penny pinching but klopp has a lot to answer for too. Whether he was just towing the party line in the summer saying we didn't need any reinforcements or he actually believed it the team has been managed incredibly poorly IMO.

Klopp has 2 faults in my opinion, and they’re kind of connected : (i) in game management to reverse a tide and (ii) not having another system to fall back on to deny opposition space when a game is wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Only reason I thought top 4 was on was Newcastle were falling away but they've found a 2nd wind and look like they'll go the distance now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Potter sacked.

We always seem to run into teams with a new manager bounce. Hopefully not this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wonder if that means Nagelsmann to take over? Him or Poch the obvious options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Newcastle weren't really falling away, it was a minor blip. Guimaraes was suspended and Willock also picked up a suspension. Sean Longstaff was their midfield for a period of games. And Pope lost his head in the Liverpool game. Isak has returned from injury so they have more of a threat up front. They are well capable of securing a top four finish.

Potter has been sacked, so Rodgers may be returning to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The timing of Nagelsmann being available does look very coincidental, alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Potter gone. How many times this season have we faced a side the week they have sacked their manager???

In fairness I think it's in most fans nature to get carried away after certain results. It's all part of the adrenaline high that comes from loving a certain team. However there was some ridiculous claims alright after the UTD game, there's a few fans saying we would go and finish 3rd!

There's probably too many creative wide players for Nagelsmann's liking and he's also likely to be too confrontational for the delicate egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see Conor Gallagher is the latest player we are being linked with today on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I can't believe some folk actually believed if man u won today we'd somehow have a chance of 4th,it's hillarius

I'll tell you now,we won't be getting european football of any kind this year

This team doesn't show me anything to think otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Wouldn't be surprised if we did sign him, not really the type of player I'd be hoping we sign, we need a more industrious type player

Brahim Diaz is such a strong player, for a small guy, especially against those Italian defenders. He's full of fight like a young Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This is what I don't understand.

Whatever about how he's played recently, been seeing a lot of "you'll never win anything with Trent in the team" for a team that has literally won everything with Trent in the team.

An awful lot of the 'Trent is a liability defensively and will lose you games' type comments - forgetting he was a key player that lost 3 times in 90 odd games in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

But he has been and is a defensive liability. He had extensive cover by the midfield for years when he decided to bomb up the line. We operated on the idea that we would just outscore you so losing the odd goal didn’t matter. We now have a completely non functional midfield both defensively and in attack. That has exposed the truth of TAA’s defensive capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He didn't just "decide" to bomb up the line, it was by design from the coaching team. As was the cover from MF.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I think we need to think seriously about Trent's position in the team before we act in the summer. He has now 5/6 full seasons as a right back. He's not getting better defensively. So the question is do we continue to play him at right back and look to build in midfielders that can cover him defensively or do we buy a right back and move Trent into a role further forward.

I think it's a hard sell for us when buying midfielders e.g. a Bellingham that a lot of the time you are going to be playing right back as our right back is not playing in the normal position. Not sure what the plan should be here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Trent has had a very bad season but he is young and has contributed a lot in the previous years.

I wouldn’t blame everything on the lack of midfield cover (sometimes it’s been absolutely clear he hasn’t tracked back or seen someone run behind him) but it clearly hasn’t helped.

I’d like to see the club buy a decent cover RB (basically someone similar to Tsmikias) that would keep him honest.

Was the instruction from management also to do a pretend tackle and then not jog back with your man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Gallagher looks like an excellent prospect and he's just turned 23. I really wish we were linked with a more established, game-changing midfielder though, given how much pressure we've put on Elliott and Bajcetic already.

The problem for me is their inexperience; they're currently not going to change a game and will only be as good or bad as the team as a whole is performing, and without the experienced heads on the pitch we suffer. While Gallagher wouldn't exactly be dead-weight. I don't see him changing things for that midfield next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd like Gallagher, fantastic at palace, they don't know what to do with him a chelsea. Next manager might have ideas for him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Great article from Tomkin's...

Worth a read, I admire the level headedness 🙂

Did anyone else find Klopp's comments strange when asked about his job future today? He was very nonchalant in his demeanour and admitted he had no fears about his job because of what he has achieved in the past. Obviously this is the case and I myself like most level headed Liverpool fans don't want Klopp going anywhere. But giving how some players are currently performing, I feel the squad has kind of reaked of this attitude all season. Klopp coming out and admitting his security in public almost gives a free pass to some underperforming players if they want to toe that line.

An example I give, when fit the performances of Bajectic were getting a lot of praise with a few MOTM awards thrown in for good measure. And righty so, he was our best player for the last 3 months. But if you actually look back at his performances, he wasn't doing anything outrageous but he was putting himself about the place and just putting in a solid shift. At times it stood out head and shoulders above what was going on around him such was the lethargic almost unenthusiastic efforts from some of his team mates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Advertisement

Team with most big chances missed in PL

1: Liverpool 58 B.C.M

2: Man City 53 B.C.M

3: Newcastle 49 B.C.M

Team with most penalties

1: West Ham 7

2: Fulham 7

3: Brentford 6

4: Man City 6