Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I see all that, and have experienced some of it on a small scale (too many calves/cattle and not enough shed space over the past month!), but I'm still drawn to milking cows.

We could spend days debating the cows vs 9-5 job on here but it's hard to compare them. There's pros and cons to both.

I used to be in an office Mon-Fri, 9-5, and it was soul-destroying. The work itself was fine but it's the people in that environment that kills you. Yes, you have Saturday and Sunday off but come Sunday night I wouldn't be far off crying at the thought of another 5 days tied to the desk, listening to god knows what bizarre ideas from any one of my 3 bosses who were really only trying to justify their €90k/year.

Unless you're self-employed or working in a small business, lots of modern jobs involve large corporations (public service is the same) and layers and layers of management. The internal politics in those places is a very toxic environment.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

Nail on the head there Siamsa. I have been the exact same soldier, stuck working with "initiatives". What a dose of tripe to be dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

What a belter of a post. Similar to siamsa and grueller experiences if I experience another initiative being implemented by someone climbing the greasy pole I will lose it. I have no aspirations to climb it as you can tell

We are blessed that we have an outlet from the day job. For many they are stuck in this and find it hard to switch off from it, similar to us and our farms. The large the organisation and the more middle management layers the worse it becomes. This suits the companies as they have a bit of a rat race driving things on among staff. We are don't fit the mould and they can find it hard to make us out, much to our advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Would a reliable relief milking job say 6 guaranteed evening/morning milkngs a week not be a better option in your instance then actually having to start up a dairy herd, you'll easily gross 400 euro a week for circa 15 hours, and can tie the whole lot in around your own farm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

I can see Mahoney now. Picking up the pension in the morning and coming back to feed the 40 heifer weanlings he's contract rearing. Just watch out lad cos they're fair hardy bitches to fire you back on you're arse or into the trough.

No need to be stuck in a sh1t job now really. There is plenty choice out there although I guess the money might be small if you switch careers.

I miss the colleagues myself. Although you might have plenty disagreements the camaraderie was great.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn't rule that out. There was a half option 2 years ago to milk for a local man who had set up a second unit. If it worked I'd have been doing 10 milkings/week from March to October. But he went into some Glanbia scheme where he closed the second unit and milked the two herds at home.

Still wouldn't rule out FRS. But I'm talking to another local man this week about getting a bit of milking experience with him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

None of my business but why did ye give up miling in the first place.its much harder to run a dairy farm now than it was years ago.you often have come to my mind over the past couple of months as we have battled through the spring and i think you are mad to consider going back to it given how much you have to invest and the return for the hours worked

It's a fair comment and I'm wondering the same myself: am I mad to be even thinking about it?

[apologies for the long post - writing it out helps get it straight in my head. A bit like on the YouTube videos!]

First, I sold the cows in 2002 having taking over when my father died suddenly in 2001. I was 24 and have little recollection of milking cows from that time. Maybe if I did, I wouldn't be thinking about them now!!! I assume milking then is no relation to milking now.

Second, I'm trying to change careers. I've been in the job I'm doing since 2008 and it's paying the bills. But I don't want to spend the next 20 years trying to balance family, calves/cattle, and an off-farm job.

Third, I like the idea of getting a dairy enterprise up and running. (The reality might be very different from the "idea" of it!). I want to be my own boss. This would also give our young lads the option of helping out around the yard/parlour and earning a few quid. There's little for them to do with calves/cattle at the moment. And there won't be either for the while they're here with us before heading off into the world.

Fourth, I've only 75-ish acres to work with. It's all owned so that helps. But it's still not a huge amount of ground to work with. 60-ish cows (lower or middle band) is the only real option for full-time farming.

I'm not committed to it yet. It needs to be financially possible first. I need to see if what 60-ish cows generates is enough to draw a wage and make the repayments on a loan. I'm currently trying to figure out how much it'll cost to get slurry storage in place, a parlour up to Bord Bia standard, and cows on the ground (slurry storage is needed whatever I go at). If it all adds up financially, then I'll sit down with herself and we'll try to step thru the ups and downs of milking cows. Thou as someone said recently, milking them is the easy part. It's the rest of the work with them that's hard.

Apologies again for the long post. Thanks to anyone who read it. If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears. And I'm not easily insulted, so don't be shy 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭roosterman71

@IFarmWeFarm7615 is around the same size herd I think and in one of his videos went through a lot of the history of his setup. Maybe a good man to talk to about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

kiss ,no need in spending a whole pile if you are undecided .Why dont you get parlour and tank up and running ,plenty of s/h parts and plants knocking around.Get supply contract and animal health cert sorted ,Plenty of surplus cows /3 papers /slow milkers will be in any dairy sales for cull cow value for the next 6 weeks and tear into it.

20 of the above cows will set you back 20k,no bull and sell as cull cows in october for roughly 12/13 k

It is not rocket science Nothing ventured nothing gained!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

You just need to get milk in the tank, people are being bulled by salesmen to put in bells and whistles and everything around the parlour. Concentrate on having enough slurry storage and space in the winter housing, plenty of very functional basic second hand parlours out there for 60 cows 8 to 10 unit nice and simple. Site it in the right place make the pit long enough and ensure that collecting yard and exit race aren't restricted in future..fancy parlour and drafting etc can all come in time. Service man was here on bulk tank and was saying loads of good second hand bulk tanks out there around 5-6000 litres available for a euro a litre.

We milk with 5 unit 40 year old problem, never misses a beat, easy service no issues with tbc or cell count..of course I'd like a new parlour but get the milk in the tank first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Just on the calving in the last page, like most here, I'm at this game a bit. And whatever I'm doing right at this stage has been well earned through mistakes, ciall ceannaithe (wisdom well paid for) as my mother says.

But I haven't used calving ropes or a jack now since 2021, and I've fine healthy calves of a few beef breeds, one stillbirth last year (attended), no loss yet this year, touch wood. Things are far from perfect here, numbers are small, and it's down to a lot of different factors which result in reasonably fit healthy cows. Among them I think are maternal genetics including hybrid vigour, I've a lot of NR blood in the herd. Dry cow silage of moderate dmd but high dm, low K and good mineral status. AI Beef bulls below 5%CD for mature cows, c. 3% for young cows and stock bull. Plenty space in sheds and calving area. Apart from that I'm not sure what I'm doing right and I would never have aimed particularly for this or thought it would become the norm here, but it makes a huge difference to life on a dairy farm in the spring.

Post edited by Castlekeeper on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Make sure you look at a system of buying in replacements at or after calving.

You have an opportunity to set up a right profitable simple system that can turn you 80k+ profit.

Keep it really simple, 70 cows max. Anything more and you will be chasing ground. You will then end keeping young stock to utilise the ground, building facilities for calves and drawing on a ferocious ampunt of hardship in the sringtime.

Buy 10 replacements (calved) from the same source every year. Pay a small premium for them and it will reurn you the best of quality.

Calve your 60 to beef and let the calves up the ramp as soon as the card is back. Milk the 70 through to October and move yourempties..Winter 60.

Even paying 17/18k for your replacements, the simplicity, reduction in facilities and storage will easily pay for itself.

There's an income of 80k to be pulled here.

Thanks for the ideas and replies. It sounds corny but seeing them reminds me that one of the main reasons I'm thinking of cows is to be around good people, even if it is online. Thanks.

Re breeding/replacements: I was thinking of doing what @alps said above for at least the first 2 years - leave a decent Angus bull off with them, sell calves, and buy in replacement heifers/cows. It'd be a British Friesian / Holstein cow I'd be milking so the calves should be OK for anyone buying them. Equally, if time permitted (hah!), I might keep them til Sept/Oct and sell as runners.

I need to stop thinking about it now or the idea might really take hold before I see if the finances stack up!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭cosatron

Go for a hereford instead of an angus, its getting very hard to move angus calves at the moment as buyers think they are jersey crosses.

I dont think there is any repayment capacity on 60 ish cows nowadays.there might be a living but if you are very shrewd.as a stepping stone would you consider buying high cell count cows and multiple sucking them to get the animal captital together.it was the only beef type operation that ever washed its face in our place.buy the cows in the spring and train them(not easy) but you have a set up that could work with them.as the summer goes on wean a calf every couple of months and then dry the cow in september,a fist of ration and hanging by christmas or so.if you can sell the calves to the grass market in the spring you ll do well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Keep nitrates in mind. For every 3 days a calf is on the farm, it displaces 1 cow from the farm that day.

If you hold onto 30 calves to sell in October, you will have to reduce your cow numbers by 7..☆☆☆

The profit from the 30 calves won't pay for the loss of 1 cow, and the work involved in that bunch of calves v's milking the cow wpuld be just inomparable..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I’m in a similar position to @Siamsa Sessions. Was thinking of converting for a while, would have similar land in one block. But with other financial commitments and a steep learning curve I found it hard to make the jump. Like a lot of things it would have been great to do it ten years ago!

so if you have a cow rearing four calves, after a while you’d take one and replace it with another, and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You’d have a February bunch and then an April bunch better calf’s than bucket reared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We do that system here - buy in hcc/three spins cows and multi suckle them. A good dairy cow with easily rear 4 calves (others will rear 3) but as her milk yield reduces you take a calf off and leave her with 3 or 2 depending on how many she started with. In September wean whatever calves are left, dry the cow and kill her in Dec or the new year.

Do you have to stand beside the cow for the calves to suck or can you let them off out in a field?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We get them started in a pen in the shed and if the cow is quiet we will leave the calves with her for a few days to bond. Then we let them into a paddock by themselves for another few days until you are sure they are working well and all getting a suck, them off they go out to the main herd. If the cow isn't quiet we keep the calves behind a gate and let them out to the cow twice a day while she eats a few nuts. The cows normally settle after a day or two and take to the calves. You get the odd cow that just won't work or the odd calf that's too stupid to suck a cow but no issue sucking a teat feeder. It really is all about patience and perseverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ffs stay well away from 3 spinners and especially slow milkers. You will finish up with enough of them without buying them. It encouragement he needs not punishment.

ha, you always the 3 spinners and slow milkers always, and i mean ALWAYS go in calf

We double sucked a few first cross suckler cows here down through the years, usually to rear replacements. But never got to a situation where they could be left off together, it was a morning and evening job. Wonder is it with the dairy cow being quieter is that why it works?

if you get a quiet dairy cow, she would take to any calf

No you taking one at a time until they are gone.3 maybe enough for alot of cows.if you start with the calves inside and letting the cows in twice a day and once things are up and running let them off after maybe 3 weeks.we had a crush with a open side for starting the more difficult ones.

Some cows take to it faster than others but it works best when they dont have their own calf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Have 4 of them here with calves under them, and they weren't even with the bull.

On a bit of investigation they all calved exactly 9 months after the 1 weekend herself and myself went away the whole year.

If you wanted to sync them you'd fail.

Advertisement