Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

When was walshe incident? Tbf to Conroy I think he did his best to avoid contact.... Galway were consistently a little too much when tackling, kudos to the ref for not black carding, but it could have been warranted in certain situations,. Im still glad we bet the full 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Would have to watch back but Reape was entirely braced for the collision. If his gloved hand caught him in the midriff it was purely accidental. Injury due to impact to hip or leg.

The ball was just gone and he was 100% committed. You could even argue it wasn’t a foul all. Collision between two commuted players.

The last factor that makes me believe it was nowhere near a red is no match report makes an issue of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It looks like a closed fist and it looks like he swung his arm. I will have to see it again. But if it's a closed fist would you not agree it's a red card offence

Slava Ukrainii

Here are a couple of screen grabs.

First - ball just past Reapes head and he has his bracing for impact. Only moves one step past this point. Collision was unavoidable at this point.

Second - actual point of impact. Gloved right hand impacts Heaneys knee. Reapes knee is up, braced and this is what causes the injury.

Third - same moment from wider angle - you can see Reaps left hand outside line of impact so absolutely no change of "fist to midriff in this incident.

The more I look at it I am leaning more towards not even a foul. But on balance I would say free was the right decision but Reape was unlucky to get the yellow. Probably due to Joyce's flapping on the sideline

45:27. Definately pulled him to ground.

On Conroy - I dont think it was avoidable either, just like the Reape one on Heaney, which is the point I was trying to make

Oh I thought for some reason you meant referees report, apologies. Ps. Thanks for going to the effort of answering the ?s

My thoughts at the time too were that it should have been a kick out rather than a free in. From review, Im of the same opion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I watched the replay there. It was completely accidental. Reape was committed to try and block the shot. Unfortunate for Heaney but it could have just as easily been Reape that got injured.

There was certainly no closed fist punch as someone here is suggesting 🙄

I don't think it was even a foul tbh.

Panel is of the opinion that he deliberately took Heaney out. They think the yellow car was lenient. Peter Canavan said at least a black card and a red card was in play as well because of the use of the knee.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Panel spent more time chatting about shane walsh and which foot he should be kicking his frees off than chatting about mayo on rte there.

I still don't see how it was deliberate by Reape. When someone like Heaney runs into you at full pace, of course your right leg is going to stick out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Was very surprised he missed the frees at the end he kept galway in it.

Talk of the league cup bring brought out after the rossie game providing we win it that is.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

So no closed fist to the midriff then?

Watch in real time, collision between two committed players, watch it slowed down, Reape turns slightly to brace for impact. In no way deliberate. As illustrated on photos shared earlier in the thread. I will trust my eyes rather than second hand reporting of what was said on the Sunday game

As Canavan said he did not spread him self to save a goal shot but instead took a position to stop the man. It's BS this about both players committed. The ball was well gone and he knew it would be gone and made a decision to stop the man. Did he mean to hurt him no but the responsibility of not endangering a player is on him. As I posted earlier I said it looked like a strike from the rear and by the way Heaney reacted. However they did not show that angle much on the Sunday game. But they did dwell on the knee contact.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Funny the Sunday game didn’t show Comer and Conroys tackles in Reape nor did the my show Walsh dragging Aido down for what should have been a black card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Drink it in :)

Go back a page and you will see the distance between the two players immediately after the ball was played. You can also see that Reape virtually had stopped at this point with his right leg slightly raised and Heaney jumping, both in anticipation of what both knew was an unavoidable collision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Give it a rest about the Heaney thing. This stuff happens in field sports. It didn't stop Heaney taking the shot today, it went wide. Galway still got a point from it. It didn't affect the result.

If Reape really wanted to take Heaney out, he'd have turned and hit him shoulder first. Similar to the England rugby player who got a red card vs Ireland a few weeks ago.

Reape stayed straight and upright. Just unfortunate Heaney got a dead leg but it could easily have been Reape that got injured.

Slava Ukrainii

Just listening to the smaller fish podcast and all 3 agreed it wasn't a red. I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I swear to God, some people only watch matches to moan about flash points and who should have gotten this red card or that black card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what ever about the reape incident , Jack Coyne was outstanding today , no Keegan and no Hession , no Mullen and no McLoughlin in the back 6 and turned over galway at will especially in the first half , mcstay has done a serious job at the back with what he has available

ye were lucky with reape in fairness but enjoy the win , a league title is the least ye deserve well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

paul Flynn was wondering why Shane Walsh didn’t take the 45 out of his hands. But the three panelist’s were correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

I suppose at least the pics that were posted for you managed to stop your closed fist chat nonsense anyway, maybe have a few more views to see what else you can see.Good as well that you are wired into the mayo goalies brain, Are you able to mind read other players as well or is it just Reape?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

They absolutely were, and usually are about a lot of things. Which is why most people don’t bother watching that shite anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Peter Cavanan is one of the most fair and honest pundits. My own view is Reape was lucky to avoid at least a black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hes the best in the country in my opinion , himself and McGuinness on sky were excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Great to win it even if it was a poor enough game to watch. Reape, Coyne, Paddy, Diarmuid & Aido all v good. Didn't play great overall though so plenty of room for improvement

Pretty clear image of the impact there. No deliberate trip.

I heard on post match interviews this morning that Joyce reakons it should have been a penalty as prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity. Ball already being gone when they collided not relevant when there is a moan to be had I suppose. Also moaning about the number of frees Mayo scored. Maybe if they learned to tackle properly it might help.

Joyce's bitterness and moaning everytime something goes against them is incessant at this stage. He is in danger of being remembered more for his bitterness than the amazing player he was if he keeps it up and never wins an AI with them.

On another note the positive outlook and openness from McStay is a breath of fresh air from an inter county manager.

Yea. My point exactly. Galway poor discipline cost them up to 10 points from frees. That being said if mayo weren't fouled, they would likely be scored points up to scored goals..

Regarding reape, I have decided that the best line to take on this is the great escape. I think that'll annoy the Galway boys in work today more than defending an accident. Reape went out to foul and got away with it.... If anyone is familiar with the Shawshank redemption when yer man was laughing about killing a woman and they pinned it on her husband 😊

Reape accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Bit of a damp squib yesterday, never really got going but great to win it all the same, it'll annoy Galway that it seemed like the game was there for them for most of it and they just weren't able to take it

Delighted for Reape, hard to believe hes only a goalie for four years. Thought the yellow was probably fair, red would have been ridiculously harsh and he did creel Heaney. Which is exactly whats needed from your goalie, I want Harald Schumacher in goal, lads need to be petrified of a one on one. For the saves what really impressed me was his awareness, the Maher chance he spots that hes coming and narrows the space so quickly, it makes the goal small. Its really intelligent goalkeeper play and a credit to his coaches, thats something I haven't seen from Reape before. The save from Cooke was also impressive, hes after getting a dirty dig from Comer and hes still able to make that save. His kickouts were excellent too, he hit one to McDonagh in the second half that was unbelievable. Impressive all round

Great to see McStay give Callinan and Coyne two important jobs, thought they both did well.

Joyce does some amount of whinging, his post match press conference is on off the ball, "no complaints" followed by five minutes of complaining, we should be used to it by now though, hes never lost a match where it wasn't the refs fault. When you compare him to McStay its night and day, hes delighted to be Mayo manager and shows it. I think Malachy Clerkin said last week that it showed a really lack of ego for McStay to be treated the way he was by the Mayo Co board and still come back, it was an excellent way of putting it I thought.

Are Galway serial losers now? Thats three finals in 12 months they've lost

Speaking of serial losers..................I see we're missing a couple of Galway posters who usually like to drift over here after matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Galways record in Croke Park over the last 20 years is “interesting”……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

PJ'S lack of control over what he says,bitterness and general overly emotional manner is a serious plus for Mayo.Long may it continue.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/cormacpro/status/1642669597869350913?t=FeE1vzeWzxbPt45e3-GFzQ&s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seems to be a very muted reaction to the win, which is no bad thing either. It's good to win and still have improvements to be worked on.

Reape was excellent yesterday, if there was the slightest bit of doubt about the number 1 position, it's gone now. I still think (the speed of) his kick-outs are an area for improvement, a minor thing really and he'll get better the more he has to cope with a frenzied high press... He didn't get that yesterday with Galway's defensive tactics.

McBrien kept the DSP completely under wrap for much of the first half. Any word on why he had to come of? DSP started to get on the ball a bit more later in the first half, wouldn't be surprised if it was after an injury to McBrien.

Callinan and Coyne were very good. Callinan is a serious player for his age. I was fairly wrong about him initially, after his first few appearances this year I didn't think he was at the level required but he has had a great league.

Defensively we were excellent when our defence was "set". Some unreal pressure, discipline and great tackleling. However I'd have serious concerns about open play. Against a better team yesterday, we could have easily been carved open. Loftus at 6 is something I think will come back to bite us in a big game. We're just too easy to run through in open play.

Ruane was and has been worryingly average this league campaign. He needs to step it up big time.

It's great to not have to be lamenting about forwards. They seem to be gelling well and if Conroy can come in at full tilt in a few weeks, it'll be a massive boost. If Cillian can get to the stage where we have him for 20 mins to close out games, we'll be in a great position.

I would expect McDonagh to lose out once we're at full strength. I go too negative on his clubmate at times but McLaughlin (and management) need to figure out a way to play to his strengths. He shouldn't be doing any long range passing, it'll cost us in a big game. Run hard and pass simple should be the mantra.

Diarmuid was quietly phenomenal again, I think he's the best player in the country as it stands. Was delighted to see Paddy Durcan at the end, a great person and player.

Bring on the Rossies

A lot of loose passing by both teams in the second half.

I'd be worried about the goal chances, other days these will be taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

just to hone in on what would happen against a better team.

Yesterday we dismantled the 2nd best team in the country right now. there is no one better. Bask in the glory, and stop pondering the what ifs.

For context. mayo arent the finished article in April. Neither are kerry. Kerrys weaknesses are far greater than ours, and the aim is to keep it that way as the championship progresses. there is nothing to suggest they will overcome their issues sooner than we will, and vice versa. Take solace in the fact that mayo are the least flawed team in Ireland as of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have to agree on Ruane. I've said it before, but he's very loose in possession and his form generally is patchy. He isn't the player he was in 2021.

McDonagh is slightly off intercounty standard. As for Eoghan McLaughlin, well...the skills of the game desert him often. His pace is ridiculous, but he doesn't seem to be actually working on his skillset. Been a problem for a couple of years now and little improvement.

Diarmuid was terrific and I expect a big year from him. He was due a return to form. Coyne also was great and I have to commend McStay for the trust he placed in those young lads.

The likes of the Cooke chance, the Maher one etc. were one's any keeper should be saving. Still had to be saved, but the only time they really cut us open was the Heaney one. Sometimes we talk about goal chances like you are not allowed have a good goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dublin Show Pony 🤣

Was talking to a lad about McDonagh this morning, did he do a lot of defending? Kelly has no interest in full back, he was more like a half forward and I think McDonagh was picking him up a lot of the time

Eoghan McLaughlin is really not a fella who can afford to miss a lot of football, his ball skills are poor at the best of times but when hes rusty they go out the window completely

The saves from Maher and Comer were impressive. The Tierney and Cooke ones were very ambitious from a Galway perspective. Would expect any decent keeper to make them.

James Carr also had an excellent goal chance saved so Galway got away with one there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement