Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish in restaurants on Sundays?

• 02-04-2023 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭

do ye order/eat it?

always had it in my head not to do so.. (no fish deliveries on Sundays).. but maybe things have moved on? better storage methods etc..

what say ye?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 536 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Totally depends on what you are ordering. Lots of stuff comes in frozen. We get Saturday evening delivery in work so fish on Sundays is always fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

🤣 There's as much chance of fresh fish on a restaurant menu on Sunday as any other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

An old wife's tale, really. Perhaps held some truth at one time. My mother would have always said that.

People are deluded if they think the fish they are eating anywhere was caught the day before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

ye confirmed my thoughts.. so we shall be keeping our reservation for next Sunday.. pardon the pun.. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I don't really do idols, but if I did Bourdain would be on the list. However, I will say that I think a lot of the whole "fish on certain" days, is down to his book on working in New York restaurants back in the day. People still take it as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Food distributors don’t work Sundays so the fish you’re eating is not as fresh as it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

I would be more worried about Monday/Tuesday if no trawlers are out on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Or flights carrying the Sea Bass delayed from Turkey.

It's funny. It was always just bass in this part of the world until it was farmed on a big commercial scale. Then it was marketed as "sea bass".

Now everyone refers to it as seabass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What is the best and widely available fish that is not farmed?

I gave up eating salmon, trout, bass etc long ago. I do eat pollack and whiting and sometimes cod or mackerel when I can get it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Monkfish maybe.

Or ray wing but there was some shenanigans with vulnerable species in the family being substituted for the 'allowed' varieties.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is a baseless assumption as you have no idea when the fish was caught, landed, delivered nor which delivery the pice of fish sitting on your plate came from. And as nobody in the chain is good throw out day old fish a long shot.

actually - the restaurant we are going to don't serve their fish dishes on Sunday's (indeed prob cos they don't get a delivery).. but they serve their prawn dishes as they are frozen..

had a fish in a restaurant once on a Sunday and didn't feel right for a few hours afterwards... hence my reservations about ordering it on a Sunday again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah yes I do pick up hake and I like it. It tends to fall apart easily when cooking but it's still lovely. Must get some now that you reminded me.

Monkfish is nice too but a little pricey lately. It kinda bothers me that most of the fish is wasted given the size of its mouth.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭notAMember

Frozen fish is perfectly fine from a food quality and safety perspective.

Not feeling right could be a lot of things... something you drank, a contaminant on something uncooked like a salad, someone else with a tummy bug who used the toilet facilities before you. The day of the week is fairly unlikely to be the culprit.

well chances are the fish wasn't at its freshest - our fish monger told me himself - don't get fish in a restaurant on a Sunday as it won't be fresh (no deliveries) and quality controls measures are can be questionable.. esp now with such a staffing issue..

In any event, I like my fish fresh! not thawed out! esp if paying a lot for it in restaurants..

we get fresh fish from the english market all the time.. and OH is a great cook so we know good fish.. if eating only fresh at home I am hardly gonna wanna eat anything defrosted when out for dinner..

but appreciate your input - good to get other opinions..

yeah @Cluedo Monopoly a big lump of fresh hake is my staple protein for dinner every Sat when at home.. adore it..

I know there's one particular fish monger in Cork, out of whose mouth, I wouldn't believe a single word!

Really don't be fooled into believing that the fish in any fish mongers was caught the day before.

I've bought fish from reputable mongers that was far from fresh.

Honestly, really fresh fish, frozen and not left hanging around, is streets ahead of not quite fresh, "fresh", fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's a good chance your fish when caught is sitting on the trawler in ice for a few days before its even landed never mind getting from the suppliers to the restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Raw fresh fish has very little smell. Haddock too is a good fish, better than cod IWT.

oh yeah - I know that

its what happens to the fish in restaurants after delivery that I worry about - esp if more then 24 hrs.. ekk..

not naming names but 100% happy with our fish monger - been buying from them for as long as I am living here and 100% happy with em

Advertisement