Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

Me too.

Though it was via the Shared Ownership Scheme. I do not understand why they don't bring this scheme back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...dont worry, sf are gonna seriously struggle in government, and ffg are also following largely academic based ideologies in regards our approach to housing, and of course, its working out well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Deducting the cost of interest for tax assessment is by definition a tax relief. It cannot conceivably or reasonably defined another way.

And it is an extremely generous tax relief at that. Essentially Johnny taxpayer is carrying both the risk premium on a buy to let mortgage and the cost of capital.

The reliefs introduced over the last few years have made being a landlord as close to zero risk financially as is possible. They are being treated with kid gloves and there is no moral, ethical, social or economic case to be made for granting further soft treatment beyond a weak government giving a sop to independent TDs propping up the coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's a post "with a nice ring to it". The Irish times, a key player in the property disaster, are absolutely insufferable with their hypocrisy.

The sooner it goes under, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I know it's in the media's interest to find the worst sob stories but the people they choose often don't do their argument any favours. Many of them come across as both having their head completely in the sand as well as being absolutely helpless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Why the scramble for a tax on vacant properties I wonder ... Not.

People not using their heads is why we are where we are. And whats frightening is that the turkeies who voted for Christmas have their heads on the block and they are still voting for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@SwimClub wrote: "'When we got the notice to quit, we just cried because we made the stupid mistake that every person who's renting makes all the time, and I've made it so many times. That you start to feel like it's your home and we make this mistake every time.'

This just doesn't make sense to me, if you are responsible for planning and housing your own family and just ignore that you are in temporary accommodation, that can be sold, especially if 'it keeps happening', you need to take some personal responsibility. And if that involves emigrating then that's a choice you need to consider in my opinion, I did it myself."

There's nothing wrong with treating the place you rent as your home. We've just normalized the situation to such an extent that it now seems odd. But the place you rent is your home just as much as if you have a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that the current situation for tenants has been made far worse by putting too many impositions on landlords. There are loads of former rentals for sale now, and house prices are cooling as a result.

But the reality is loads of landlords want out and there aren't investors to replace them. Through stupidity and populism the crisis has been made far worse than it needed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It is because of the price of houses. landlords wouldn't be leaving the market if they weren't making money doing do.

At the end of the day these people are making a financial decision. they bought the houses as investments, not out of charity. Or they inherited a house and rented it out so they would have an asset and make money out of it.

House prices rose to a place where they decided that it made more sense to take the payout and leave the market. They are more interested in the short term profit than treating a house as a long term investment.

As for the ones renting out as AirBNB, they're staying in the rental market but decided that they could make more money. The going rates for AirBNB is ridiculously high. Especially since hotels are charging so much. During covid there were a load of AirBNB's that were suddenly being let as regular tenancies. That's because when the market changed, the landlords changed their target consumers.

And fair enough, people are allowed to make those sort of financial decisions. But the housing and rental markets are so screwed up that landlords felt they could make more money in a short time and when they start leaving it just makes it worse and worse.

Housing was generally thought of as a long term thing. people buy a house and get a 30 year mortgage. When it came to casual landlords, they would see it as a longer term investment too. Rent a house for 30 years and have a nest egg for retirement. But wildly increasing prices have turned the housing market into something where substantial short term gains can be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

You've missed the posters point. Anyone in Ireland planning on renting the same house long term is asking for trouble/taking a massive risk. The situation the family are in was easy to see and should have been planned for. They should have had contingenies for if their landlord sold/got a family member in etc. The current rental regulations are not exactly new.

Renting in Ireland is only designed for people who don't want the commitment of a mortgage and want/are happy to move around. It's not long term accommodation.

Personally that's a massive flaw in the rental market. Bringing the residential market more in line with commercial regulations would give more security to both landlords and tenants. With more institutional investors getting involved in the rental market there are landlords who would be quite happy to give 10 year plus leases etc provided the rent etc was correct and the could enforce their contracts.

But there are no serious proposals to modernise Irish residential regulations. All we have is stop gap solutions that makes the situation worse for both landlords and tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again - I got out because the risk/reward balance tipped way to far on the risk side.

Risk to my property, risk to my income, risk to my investment.

I would have happily continued on renting into the future, but when the opportunity came to sell I ran for my life.

I didn't make a fortune, especially when balanced against losses I made over many of the years I was renting. But even had I faced a loss I think I still would have got out - there are just too many limitations on what you can do, and not enough back-up if it goes wrong.

Tax breaks are only fiddling while Rome burns. There is no tax break that would have persuaded me not to sell. Only substantial changes to the conditions under which landlords operate might have done that - and then, as other posters have said, would you believe them even if they were promised?

I agree with you about the need to bring in long-term rental regulated options. There would be a lot of opposition to it but it should be done.

What I was trying to do with the other post however was highlight the extremity of the situation. Yes, I think those tenants probably always knew they could technically be evicted through no fault of their own. They were most likely just paying their rent, doing their job and getting on with their lives. To say that they should have emigrated however, as the poster suggested, is I think extreme. I don't think we've had the situation where large scale emigration has occurred in order to find somewhere to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That is perfectly fine. The market needs to shake out the people who don't have the ability to manage the risks involved. Diversifiable risk should not be compensated, and is not in any sort of efficient market.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Good point about Ireland's rental market being set up for temporary, and not long term ie. For life.

I dont understand why people gets pets when reting their house - a high % get surrendered to animal rescue centres when people have to move. Very shelfish of these pet owners.

Now onto kids ...

I dont understand why people renting, who have a slim to zero chance of owning thier own home or might be 10+ years waiting for a council house, go on to have a bucket load of kids. These families expect the local authority (tax payer funded) to look after them when you need that bigger 4-bed, or lose their current rented house and cant stay with family due to having too many kids. Free contraception and/or vasectomies to anyone renting is my proposal !

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Many small landlords don't want to rent long term, institutional ones do but they are coming into the market mostly via new builds at eye watering rents.

As the small landlords get out and sell to first time buyers they are replaced by institutional investors and rents go up, advertised rents in Dublin are going up 14% a year.

RPZ's cap at 2% actually drives small landlords out and makes rents more expensive.

We can plan what an ideal market looks like, but we need to start where we are now, and this process just seems insane right now.

I really don't think the ideal rental market consists of a monopoly of institutional investors BTW, regardless of how long they are willing to commit to charging crazy rent to people for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Going to get a lot worse before it even starts to get better and then you have FFG pretending to care about the Gardai on Social Media and MSM because of a tweet. When in reality how many frontline workers such as Gardai are going to be caught up in this mess.

They have created the conditions to make being a landlord impossible for the little guy. Thus driving all of the lower priced rentals out.

Now everyone has got what they have been asking for for years. The eviction ban before christmas was the neon writing to get out while you still can to the little guy.

Dont worry though the REITS have great conditions. They will line up to buy up any new stock. Only problem is to provide for the risk of changes to legislation in the future, or delinquent tenants, or not being allowed to put their rent up in future to cover expenses and god forbid, make a profit, they must charge a massive premium on the rent as insurance against even worse measures which are most likely to come.

I don't think there's anything wrong with institutional investors other than high rents which is a reflection of extreme lack of supply currently in the market. They attract the better off tenants and therefore reduce competition for housing at the lower end, which is good for tenants generally. This is why though I think they are not liked by small landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Institutional investors will charge market rents but they gave investment horizons beyond any small landlords ie 30/40 years plus if you are managing the pension of someone in their 20s/30s. They also are bringing new accommodation to the market and are not locked into historic rents. The lack of supply drives rent prices regardless. While not perfect they are far better for someone who wants to rent in the medium to long term.

My point about fixed term rentals is not just 10 years it's also short term rentals ie 1/2 years as well.

The problem is currently tenants and landlords have tenancies that are simultaneously indefinite and lack any type of real security.

If a landlord rents they can only regain their property under very limited circumstances. Even those circumstances make it very hard to put the property back on the market. From a landlords perspective leases are more or less indefinite. That's before you factor in getting misbehaving tenants out etc. In periods where there is an oversupply of rental accommodation tenants can leave whenever they want again impacting their income.

However from a tenants perspective in the current market anyway they are at the mercy of a landlords investment decision and can effectively be asked to leave at any time if a landlords choose to sell. So while they have an indefinite lease it doesn't give any real security.

Before you even talk about eviction bans rent controls etc the current regulations don't work for either landlords or tenants. Unless supply matches demand more or less. If either exceed each other either tenants or landlords get screwed.

Anyone renting long term has to factor these issues in. We need modern rental regulations that gives security to both landlords and tenants. There is no political will to make the necessary changes.

Politically its just demonise landlords which both landlordsand tenants suffer. Without landlords you don't have a rental market

But for all that we still need more accommodation to truly sort the problem out.

• Advertisement

small landlords dont care a jot about institutional investors. At least none who i have ever met. The problem is that people seem to zoom in one issue and proclaim that thats it. This is death by a thousand cuts. All the blood is gone now and the small landlord is dead. You will bne lucky if you keep any that are left, but the dead ones are dead, never to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Every business is allowed to write down business expenses before paying tax on profits.

In any business interest on borrowings is allowed against tax. I have bought land, tractors, cattle even cars, tools and equipment. If I borrow money I am allowed to deduct any interest paid as a business expense.

If I bought warehouses, a pub, a shop any interest on borrowings is a business expense. It was only at the end of the last crash the ln Labour party had a brain farm and disallowed interest in borrowing's in the rental sector as a total expense.

White goods and any other business related expenses are just that business expenses deducted before you pay tax.

The problem with the rental sector is the normal expenses were not allowed such as property tax, some maintenance was considered an improvement.

At the end of it all the tenant pays for it in higher rents as LL exit the market

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Some stretch now to complain about FFG because of the disgusting tweet from Eoin.

I see SF are on damage control now, losing lots of votes in the public sector is not great news. Lots in private as well

You are aware houses don’t just disappear because people are evicted so the LL can sell, all the people who are waiting to buy houses will hope they can snap up these properties which will mean current rentals will also free up.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

There is competition everywhere, there is no such thing as 'less competition' in the Irish rental market at the moment.

The small landlords are leaving in their droves, 5,000 in Q3 issued notices to terminate followed by 4,500 in Q4 last year.

The competition is all going to be at the higher end of the market because those are the only units available on the rental market.

And that will include an awful lot of people who can't afford to be at the higher end.

There won't be less competition for small landlords because many are going to be ex small landlords that sold their property either to first time buyers or the local authority for HAP. The ones left will have plenty of demand.

I've had reactions from landlords on these forums when I've tried to present alternatives to the plethora of small landlords so I would not agree with you that landlords have not cared about them. I know also that lobby groups representing them have objected to institutional landlords. Understandable, of course, as they increase competition and no incumbent group likes additional competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's a tax relief, there's no other way to define it. You're dancing on the head of a pin.

Critically, other actual businesses that may be able to claim interest relief on business loans (and not always mind you) are typically engaged in productive sectors of the economy and are engaged in day-to-day labour. There's a public interest reason for Revenue and the exchequer to treat interest in such a manner.

Furthermore, a tax such as LPT is a tax, you're bloody well meant to pay it. It's not an expense and never will be.

Merely owning a property and rent seeking is not a productive activity. It's actually the exact opposite.

I think you are exaggerating there tbh.

You know as well as everyone else why we are where we are. Take a step back and look at the wider angle. Its all part of the problem.

I don't agree with your analysis. Anyone supplying units for rent is reducing competition among tenants for rental units generally. Yes, the institutional units tend to be at the higher end but the market is connected. Had they not provide those units, that number of tenants would now be competing among the less well off for a reduced number of units thus pushing prices up for everyone. Good for the small landlord but not good for tenants.

I don't think I am exaggerating but you are entitled to your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It isn't either/or. What you're doing is looking to run one type of accomodation out of town in favour of a monopoly of the other. This is what happened when they banned bedsits - I happen to know from personal experience that they provided a certain cohort with cheap but functional accomodation - but with their minimum sizes, double aspect and other mad rules (a lot of which the rowed back on a few years later) they just succeeded in pricing those people completely out of any rental market.

Institutional REIT-type landlords weren't in competition with me.

Mine was a purpose-built apartment, kept very nicely, and rented at a very reasonable rent (far too reasonable once the RPZ rules started tightening).

What you need is a variety of rentals to suit the variety of renters that are out there. What's happening now is the shutting down of one (other) whole section of the market.

Not everybody can afford the top-of-the-range REIT rentals.

Advertisement