Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cheers M. Yeah I 100% get what you mean - I equal parts enjoy it and dread it. Coaching is a strong word for what I do to be fair - chief shoelace fixer would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck with Faster Road Running, I've used that HM plan myself successfully. If I remember correctly it had surprisingly little HM-pace running in it, but it did the aerobic conditioning bit well and it resulted in a very good race for me anyway. It's good to switch approaches every couple of years I think, keeps it interesting.

Thanks. Yeah the main sessions each week are LT in the first half of the plan (run at roughly 15-25s faster than HM-pace), and in the back half of the plan the main session flips to VO2 max/speed type stuff. The rest of the week is made up of recovery runs, easy runs with strides, and the endurance runs (easy to moderate pace). So no HM-pace at all in it really, although my LT run this week ended up very much in the HM-pace range due to hills and wind.

13th - 19th February

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 7.58 miles with 16 mins LT, 4 mins off, 12 mins LT. Seeing as I was jumping in at week 2, I just split the difference between the week 1 (14/4/12) and week 2 (18/4/12) LT runs on the plan. I got a shock when I looked up the prescribed paces based on my Dungarvan time - would be 6:56-7:06 for these. That felt like a massive leap from the paces I'd been doing them at last year, and this was going to be a lumpy route with plenty wind about, so I dialled back my expectations a few notches and tried to run at a consistent effort. This was tough enough going, but manageable. I'll try get out on a fairer route for this weeks LT session. Paces came in at 7:37, 6:58, 6:37 (0.21mi), 7:12 and 7:27 (0.64mi). The wild pace variations reflect the hilly route and changing wind, but I felt the effort was pretty even for the most part.

Wednesday - 4.35 miles recovery @ 10:27. A shuffle around UL, keeping it flat and running on grass here and there. Soggy in parts so mainly on the gravel paths.

Thursday - 5.6 miles easy @ 9:39. A nice lunch time out-and-back. I do like an easy hour or so at lunchtime - no thinking or planning involved, just head out the door and run.

Friday - 11.13 miles endurance (8:54 avg). I wasn't sure I'd have much of a window for a LR over the weekend, so got it done early on Friday morning. Similar to the LT paces, I got a surprise when I checked the new endurance paces. I had been running these at 9:50 -> 8:50 before Waterford, and now they would be 9:20 -> 8:20. The plan was 4 miles at 9:20, 4 at 8:50 and 3 at 8:20. This was a struggle, and the last 3 miles were horrible. I've recently come to the conclusion that I really don't like rolling out of bed and getting straight into anything more than easy effort - maybe I could get up earlier, but that's not too enticing an option tbh. The second main problem with this run was that the middle 4 miles were all gradual uphill - this definitely took a toll come the final 3 miles, which were flatter and downhill but the legs were heavy. To be fair I hit the paces all the way through, but it was just a slog. I should have eased off a touch in those middle miles. Next weeks LR is a Progression with the final 3 at LT, but I'm just going to do a normal endurance instead and see if I can get a handle on those first.

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - 5.51 miles easy @ 9:54. We'd travelled over to London on the Saturday for the Spurs match on Sunday afternoon. I'd wondered where I'd go for my run, but it turned out that Finsbury park was right across the road from the hotel, so that decision was made easy. It was a perfect park for running, with a 1.5 mile main inner looop and loads of paths off that. Plenty runners about, as well as American Football training, tennis, baseball, and I even spotted an athletics track just as I was finishing up. Cracking day afterwards at the new Spurs stadium - it's such an impressive venue.

34.1 miles for the week, and a fair bit of walking on top of that over the weekend. Interesting to see how I get on with the LT and LR now this week.

20th - 26th February

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 6.08 miles easy, with 6 x 12s hills and 6 x 100m strides (9:52 avg). Found a nice little hill which I'd never thought of before for these short hill reps and it suited perfectly. Nice to get that little bit of speed into the legs.

Wednesday - 4.12 miles recovery (10:12/mi). The FRR plan has a midweek endurance run ranging from 8-11 miles as the plan progresses. I might squeeze it in some weeks, but in general I'd rather split that mileage over two runs and add a sixth day to the plan. It just makes things easier by being able to fit it in at lunchtime. Plus, I'm always concious (perhaps too much) of not overdoing things, so I'd rather get the same miles in across two handy runs rather than a harder medium-length run.

Thursday - 8.23 miles with 18 mins LT, 4 mins off, 15 mins LT. Had to squeeze this one in early before work which wasn't ideal but had to be done. Got up a touch earlier to allow me to fully wake and drink a cup of tea. I picked a nicer route, elevation wise, than last weeks LT run, and also took the Magic Speed 2's for their debut outing. I also added a couple of quick strides to the 15 minute warm-up. As happens at least 50% of the time, I realised as I pressed the lap button to start the LT bit that I'd never started the workout on the watch, and had just started a standard run instead. Oh well, not a huge deal, although a bit annoying. Target paces by the plan would be 6:56 -7:06 but I wasn't too hung up on those. Struggled to get near the pace for the first mile, and the whole first 18 mins just didn't feel fluid at all. Paces came in at 7:17, 7:05 and 6:57 (0.48mi). Ended up a touch short of the 18 mins as I couldn't remember what pace each previous mile had been in order to tot the 18 mins up manually. The 4 mins recovery felt just about right and then the second 15 mins felt great. At least initially. In contrast to the earlier work, I felt smooth, fluid and strong. Kept checking the pace and HR because I was sure it couldn't be going this well. The hurt did begin to bite for the last 5 mins but I was able to dig in and see it out. Went slightly over the 15 mins this time as again I couldn't remember the exact splits. 6:52, 7;00 and 6:53 (0.2 mi) for the second rep. Delighted with this. The Magic Speeds felt good, but my initial thought was that I prefer the Saucony Speeds.

Friday - 3.15 miles recovery (10:17mi). Another pre-work run. Legs feeling no ill effects after the previous day.

Saturday - 12.05 miles endurance (8:47 avg). A bit of a dose had hit the house, and I was worried that I'd pick it up too. I had initially pencilled this in for Sunday, but when I was feeling good Saturday morning I said I'd chance it then in case the bug caught me before Sunday. The first two miles felt a bit like work, and I wondered if I had, in fact, caught the dose. Once I hit the nice flowing downhill third mile though I felt great. Spent the next 4 miles trying to reign in the pace and I couldn't believe the contrast to last weeks long run which was a right struggle at times. I was in the zone, the miles were ticking by and this was such a pleasurable run. Around mile 7 I turned towards home and was hit with a nice, stiff breeze. Maybe that had been helping me up to now and was why the first half felt so good!?! Most of the second half of the run was into this wind, so tougher going at times as the paces picked up, but not too bad in all honesty. A flock of sheep being hunted down the road stopped me in my tracks for a minute towards the end - a not unwelcome breather when it happened but it did fairly ruin my rhythm. All-in-all I was delighted with this run. A nice bounce back from last week. Wondered after if maybe I'd been the first to get (a mild form of) the dose and it had affected the long run last week.

Sunday - 3.63 miles recovery (9:45/mi). Pace was faster than my usual recovery effort. The legs felt fine and effort was appropriately very easy. I don't really pay much attention to the pace on my easy or recovery runs until I check it after. Broke out the mat later that evening for 30 mins S&C to ease me back into that habit. I've been threatening to do a bit since the start of the year but kept making excuses. Hopefully it becomes a habit - even once a week for a while would be good.

A decent week with 37.2 miles covered and the 2 big runs going really well. A step-back week now this week before I hit the bigger weeks of the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

The FRR plan has a midweek endurance run ranging from 8-11 miles as the plan progresses. I might squeeze it in some weeks, but in general I'd rather split that mileage over two runs and add a sixth day to the plan. It just makes things easier by being able to fit it in at lunchtime. Plus, I'm always concious (perhaps too much) of not overdoing things, so I'd rather get the same miles in across two handy runs rather than a harder medium-length run.

This medium-long run is one of the things that has put me off the FRR plans in the past. I find, like you with work and a busy kids' schedule to contend with, it is easier to squeeze in 2 * 45min runs than 1 * 90min run midweek. I wonder would it change the stimulus much? I suppose at the end of the day it's probably better than not getting the miles in at all?

Good luck with the S&C, any bit will help. I could do with some mobility/stretching myself 🤦‍♀️

Yeah I find there is a real lack of 4-6 mile runs in this plan, and I like those! I suppose it would change the stimulus a bit, and maybe I'd have better results following the plan to the letter, but at the moment I'm happy enough that even my pared back version is still providing an increase in stimulus compared to what I'd have done recently, so it's still (hopefully) progress, but maybe at a slower rate than if I did include the midweek MLR. I do wonder if we're all guilty of placing too much focus of the importance of one workout or another, and think simply racking up decent (relative) mileage with the odd bit of appropriate work will go a long way.

Plus, this way allows me to add the 6th day regularly and slowly build up the mileage without it seeming unduly onerous. I do worry I'm doing too many 3-4 mile days at the moment, but that will change as the mileage goes up.

At the end of the day, the plan has to work for me, and my life. Where possible it's ideal for me to get in as much of my midweek miles as reasonable at lunchtime. I don't mind the odd early start or late outing, but if it's 2-3 times a week then it would soon become a chore, especially at this time of year, and for a race that's not the main goal I don't want to push the boat out too far when there's no need. Once I get into marathon training more flexibility will be required of course, and that's fine - at least in the summer there will be more daylight so options for running windows naturally increase (although kids activites will complicate that!).

It can certainly be difficult. I do think though that MLRs at a certain pace are crucial runs. Correct me, does FRR favour steady (aerobic) pace for these? I do remember the difficulty squeezing these into the standard workday lunchtime run when I used that plan. I think though from what I know now that It’s better to do the MLR than break it up. The stimulus from a steady 11 miles is a lot different to what you get from a split 6/5, I reckon. But it’s all about trying out and then trying to evaluate critically.

I like the 4-6mile runs too A. They can be squeezed in at lunch or during an evening after school activity where you have 55mins while the kids are doing their thing. I do that a couple of evenings a week, some days it's the only way to get a run in, and it gets me running in different locations breaking the monotony of the week. I totally agree it has to work for you and your life, there is no point if it's just adding stress and isn't practical, it's the main reason I'm just setting my own training at the moment - the coaching accountability part was starting to stress me out and I can't settle on a plan that fits quite right...

It'll be interesting to see how the plan goes for you, but it's not your main goal for the year either so it's a good time to allow yourself some flexibility, and as D says evaluate afterward. You are on a roll at the moment which is great to see.

Thank you both for the inputs, much appreciated. Yeah D, the endurance runs start off at the easier end of easy in the earlier miles, and progress towards steady/moderate for the closing miles. I'm sure you're right to say they are crucial runs, and are in the plan for a reason. I'll hopefully squeeze in the odd one as the weeks go by, but it definitely won't be every week. In addition to them not fitting into a convenient window, there's probably a reluctance on my part to be adding too much work - I've got to this point by building gradually so I tend to veer towards (or create) the conservative path.

• Advertisement

27th February - 5th March

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 5.85 miles easy (9:44/mi) A lunch time run around the local loop. It's a pretty undulating loop, with no real sustained flat section. A really nice relaxed run, although my left leg (hamstring and quad) was giving out a bit.

Wednesday - 4.21 miles recovery (9:48/mi) A few recovery miles at lunchtime.

Thursday - 10 miles vanilla (9:24/mi) I wouldn't really have a window at the weekend for a long run, so moved it forward. This was a pre-work run, which I kept as flat as I could given this was a step-back week. Very happy with how this went, just felt nice and controlled throughout and the miles ticked away. A nice start to the day. Had physio in the afternoon - she worked on the left hamstring and quad - nothing major suspected there, some stretching and minding should resolve it.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 6.07 miles easy (9:32/mi) We were in Center Parcs for the weekend so got in an hour or so both days. There is a nice enough outer path through the woods which is roughly 3 miles, so added in some exploring off that to make up the 6.

Sunday - 6.13 miles easy (9:46/mi) Similarish route to the day before, except ran the path in the opposite direction.

32.3 miles for the week. No S&C but plenty activity over the weekend to make up for it. The left leg has improved, but I'll take it easy to start this week to allow that and a lingering cold to (hopefully) fully clear up.

6th March - 12th March

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 5.11 miles easy (9:46/mi). As I mentioned last week, I had a bit of a cold and the quad was giving out, so kept things short and easy to start this week. Kept this run as flat as I could as well.

Wednesday - 4.07 miles recovery (10:08/mi). In the office so some nice, flat lunchtime miles around UL. The bottom gate to the UL track was open so I wandered in for a few laps before continuing on. Mostly on grass after that. There were markings around the field which I suspected were from an XC race, and a google afterwards confirmed the University XC had been held there over the previous weekend. They'd thrown a few banks into the lap, but you'd be hard pressed to find a flatter and non-muddy XC course I'd say.

Thursday - 6.04 miles easy (9:27/mi). The closest I've come to dodging a run in forever. It was absolutely miserable out - driving wind, rain, and cold. Setting out I wasn't even sure what I'd do, but eventually settled on the same undulating loop as last Tuesday. Happy to have done that much.

Friday - 8.16 miles endurance (8:53/mi avg). The quad and the cold were 90% better, so decided it was time to re-introducce some effort. Could have done an LT run here and standard endurance LR on Sunday, but instead did an MLR here and Progression on Sunday, as I'd not done one of those to date. This was a hilly enough loop, so tried to run to the correct effort rather than be a slave to the paces. Did a decent (but nowhere near perfect) job of that.

Saturday - 3.78 miles recovery (9:45/mi). My Strava feed didn't give me any 'your activity from x year(s) ago' - turns out this was my first ever run on March 11th. Mindblowing, I know.

Sunday - 13.20 miles progression (8:17/mi avg). I dusted off the Endorphin Speed 2's for this - hadn't worn them in a while and they felt great. My plan was 3 miles at 9:20, 2 at 8:50, 3 at 8:20, 3 at 7:40, last 2 at LT (7:00). The early miles were into the wind - this should have meant I'd have some help later, but the wind died down as the run went on. Despite the wind, and the uphill nature of the opening miles I was cantering along. In fact, the first 8 miles of this were bliss - I was motoring along, ticking off the miles, happy out, thinking this was a breeze and life was great. It only occurred to me around the 7th mile, that I was barely over half way and I'd be needing to pick up the pace again (and again) in the next 6 miles. I'd also overdressed - it was miserable and threatening looking as I started out, but I finished up with gloves and a neck buff in my pockets and a rain jacket around my waist. The 9th, 10th, 11th miles were at 7:40 - definitely felt the increased effort here, but still felt pretty good. Into the last 2 miles then and upped the pace again - the wind which should have been helping had turned into a crosswind, but these miles were thankfully a small net downhill. Had to really push in the last mile and I was so glad when the watch beeped for 13. Pace was 7:06 for both LT miles, which was spot on. The whole run was spot on really - felt I judged the effort pretty well, and was able to lift the pace each time when called for. There's another one of these in a few weeks time, so will be interesting to see how that goes, when I won't be as fresh.

40.3 miles for the week. Most of the miles were in the latter part of the week, which is not ideal, but the quad feels good now so hopefully the few extra light days did the trick. This week has the first VO2 max session, although I might swap it for an LT session that I missed last week - there's not much more LT stuff left in the plan, and I'd like to get that one in - where as there are a good few VO2 max sessions (and races) in the coming weeks.

13th - 19th March

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 7.21 miles easy (9:25/mi). Just about enough light after finishing work to get out for this. Really looking forward to the longer evenings. Loved this run - pretty undulating so I tried to keep the HR in the 130's most of the way, or not let it stray too high on the hillier sections. Worked a treat and I felt great throughout.

Wednesday - 4.23 miles recovery (9:59/mi). Lunchtime trot around UL. The whole place was pretty soggy, so I stayed away from my usual pitch and surrounding gravel paths and plodded around the outskirts of the campus instead. What looked a nasty, horrible day from the comfort of the office chair was actually pretty reasonable when out in it.

Thursday - LT session: 20 mins on / 4 mins off / 16 mins on. I've a long list of excuses mitigating factors, but this was tough! Started off with a 1.6 mile warm-up. Halfway through the warm-up I changed my route - it was fairly windy and I knew that my planned route along the old N8 would definitely be windy, so switched to the Swiss Cottage riverside path which might be more sheltered. Once again I'd forgotten to start the session on my watch, so just continued on with the run I'd started. Stuck my rain jacket in a nearby bush, did a couple of lacklustre strides and it was time for work. The path was pretty windy, so not sure I got much value for changing the route. Target pace was in or around 7:00 min/miles, but from the off I was getting nowhere near that. Tree cover had me wondering at times, but the avergae pace stayed up there - the effort felt right (or even too much) so I just accepted 7:20 as the benchmark for today and went with that. Paces for the first 20 mins came in at 7:18, 7:21 and 7:06 (0.76 mi). I'd turned for the last bit and the pace increase reflects that the wind was helping there. More of the same in the second rep, 16 minutes this time - 7:18 and 7:18 for the first 2 miles, and 7:16 for the 0.19. The last minutes were so tough, and really just hanging on. At the time I thought I'd actually bailed on the last 2 minutes and cut the rep to 14 minutes (I was spent, couldn't do the mental maths, thought I'd only completed 14 mins and didn't have another 2 mins in me). My head was so frazzled. It's only now when I come to write this and check out the splits that I see I actually completed the 16 minutes! So that's a nice boost to get of a Monday morning - I actually completed a run I thought I'd quit on! Definitely need to start remembering to use the workout function on the watch! Either way, this was a very tough run - I'd overdressed again with a long-sleeved base layer which didn't help, and I wore the Gliderides which are more suited to moderate paced runs I find. 8.54 miles in the end after a 1.6 mile cool-down trudge.

Friday - 6.65 miles recovery (10:06/mi). An early morning trot around with the local running group. Nice to run with some company for a change and the miles ticked along quickly. Most of them run too fast for their own good, so I just hung out towards the back of the pack and settled in at a nice pace with a mini-group.

Saturday - 3.65 miles recovery (10:55/mi). Funny how you can live and run somewhere for years and still find new places to explore. Checked out a nice loop in the wooded area at the end of the Swiss path. It's probably only half a mile, but a nicely worn path through the wood, full of roots and uneven surfaces, but not too muddy given the weather. Paces could have been anything, given the tree cover, but effort was very easy, save for bit of climbing to get to the wooded loop.

Sunday - 13.3 miles endurance (8:48/mi). Another run that took me on some lesser and never-travelled roads. As the LR distances go up, it's nice to be able to vary the routes and explore a little. This was a hillier route than expected but I was really happy with the run. Effort and HR never really got out of line, despite the increasing paces as the run went on, with a fair dollop of climbing thrown into the mix. The rain came in the second half, and my Novablast were soaked but I was in the zone and didn't really mind the rain at all. One of my favourite runs of the year so far. Got in another 30 or so mins off S&C later in the evening. That slot seems to work for me at the moment and is hopefully becoming routine.

43.6 miles for the week, which is my highest mileage week in years. Pleasingly it feels very manageable though - spread over 6 days it's not too onerous at all. Big week ahead now with the biggest LT run (38 mins straight) and the final Progression LR (last 3 miles at LT).

Post edited by Mr. Guappa on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I was following a tweaked version of your plan for my half marathon . Tweaked as in less mileage . I did 8k LT/hmp. When we started the plan 5:10 was LT or even 10k pace ( I was starting from a low level of fitness) but by the time we got to the 8k it was hmp if that makes sense . My tweaking wasn’t top class to be fair as had changed time to kms and over shot . The 8k I did twice in horrible wind . Those sessions increased by running confidence tenfold - I knew after them my tenk pb would take a battering . I need that long tempo type run for my head I think .

The progression long runs with the LT finish were harder than my actual half race and I sure channelled them at the end . Maybe one day I’ll do the plan in all its glory ! Dying to see the results you get from it !

Thanks R. I've been following the mileage as prescribed in the plan, but I've been doing some tweaking myself to the runs. Not too much tweaking, although you do remind me to get some strides in this week... I've let those slide the last few weeks.

20th - 26th March

Monday - 4.37 miles recovery (9:56/mi). Pretty windy for this one if I recall correctly. Seemed like the wind was present all week long. Always like when I get in Monday miles - feel like I'm ahead for the week then and have a buffer should anything pop up.

Tuesday - 9.33 miles with 38 mins LT.  I volunteered for some work on Monday night, which meant I'd have a few hours off Tuesday morning to get this in. Wore the Endorphin Speeds after last weeks struggle in the Gliderides. Picked a simple route, out and back the N8. I always under-estimate the drags on this road until I'm running it. Couple of miles warm-up, with a few strides before it was time for the work. I had a headwind to contend with for the first half, and it was very strong at times. The worst of the climbing was in the first half too, so I was really digging in for the first 2+ miles until I got to the turn around point. Felt like I was going nowhere at times and I debated changing up the route and diverting off onto one of the side roads to get away from the wind, but I persevered. Mercifully I made it to the turnaround point and things eased a touch then. The wind suddenly felt like a gentle tickle compared to the howling gale it seemed to be just minutes earlier - why does it always seem like this? Had to dig in to get over one last drag and then made sure not to ease off the effort once the gradient was more favourable. 5.32 miles LT in the end, with the paces being 7:20, 7:24, 7:13, 7:05, 6:44 and 6:57 for the bit, which averaged out at 7:09. Just outside the prescribed range, but given the wind I won't worry about that. Couple of miles of a cooldown shuffle to round off a tough, but decent mornings work.

Wednesday - Rest.

Thursday - 5.71 miles easy (9:41/mi). It poured rain for most of this, but the rain itself actually kind of nice for the most part, except the sheer volume meant that streams of water were running down the road and you'd look like an absolute lunatic being out in those conditions. I was five minutes from home when hailstones joined the party. At least it wasn't too windy.

Friday - 8.23 miles easy (9:33/mi).  I had this pencilled in for the afternoon, but I was up early and when the weather was favourable I moved things forward. Right decision too, as it was hit and miss later in the day. Right quad was a bit tight, so swerved the planned strides (again). A very nice run, at a nice easy clip.

Saturday - 4.39 miles recovery (10:12/mi). Had a tight enough window for this, so kept it local and doubled back on myself a couple of times to avoid the worst hills.

Sunday - 13.20 miles progression (8:17/mi avg). This was a slight step-up on a similar LR from two weeks ago - the last 3 miles would be at LT this time, compared to last 2 miles on the previous occasion. Having worn the Endorphin Speed 2's last time, I wore the Magic Speed 2's this time, and ran the exact same route to make it easy to compare. I also dressed more sensibly this time, without excessive layers. I was a bit ropey starting out, having had a nice feed of pints the day before, but luckily not in the absolute horrors. The whole run felt pretty good, some wind in the early going which then eased for an hour. The effort felt surprisingly under control for the first half, and even when I dipped into the 7:xx for miles 9 and 10 thing still felt reasonably comfortable. The wind reappeared around now, which was not ideal. Mile 11 was the first of the LT miles, and was the toughest of the run - bit of a head/cross wind and a decent drag in the second half of the mile. I probably pushed a bit too hard in this mile but soldiered on, knowing that the gradient would be more in my favour for the last 2 miles. The last 2 miles were not bad at all - hit the paces without blowing a gasket and I wasn't hanging on for a finish, which was the case last time. The LT miles came in at 7:05, 6:58 and 7:01. Looking at the average HR stats, and I was 5-7 beats lower each mile compared to 2 weeks ago. I'd put some of that down to dressing more sensibly, but the Magic Speeds definitely offer a bit more assistance too. The strongest of my midweek LT sessions came in those shoes too. Anyway, very happy with this run.

A very satisfactory 45.2 miles for the week, with another 30+ mins S&C on Sunday evening. The coming week sees the first of the tune-up races. Nothing nailed down yet as some family activities have to be confirmed, but the options, in order of likelihood are 1) Ennis 10km on Sunday, 2) no race and do a VO2 Max session, 3) Parkrun. So we will see what happens with that - hopefully I get to do the race. A 10km PB should be a near formality if I do, but I haven't raced a 10k in almost 4 years and in my head it's the most intimidating distance - all the hurt of a 5k but for twice as long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I have found the Magic Speeds to be a great shoe too...except that they are very slappy for me, terribly noisy. Not Alphafly noisy but annoying as fook 🤣

They create a bit of a racket alright. Mind you, that's not necessarily always a bad thing when you run on quiet country roads and have a knack for catching unsuspecting walkers unawares and frightening the bejaysus out of them as you overtake, despite plenty of warning coughs, grunts and stone kicking on approach.

Rounding off March....

Monday 27th - 4.16 miles recovery (10:27/mi). Very much a recovery plod as tired legs and a bit of wind kept the paces in check. Stayed away from hills where possible.

Tuesday 28th - 8.09 miles easy (9:43/mi). Out before work and did the same route as last Friday. Something of a point-to-point route where I got dropped off by herself on her way to work and ran home in a circuitous fashion. Anything for a bit of variety. Wild enough for a mile or two before it mellowed into a nice morning.

Wednesday 29th - 4.41 miles recovery (10:08/mi). Nice and flat at lunch around UL. The back gate to the track was open so popped in there for a few laps until I got bored, then moved over to the grass field for a few more laps. It was pretty windy and I nearly lost my cap a few times. Desite being fully charged the night before, my watch was on near empty battery starting out. It clung on for the duration of the run, but it might be on it's last legs. Same thing happened in January too, where it ran down to empty battery overnight, but once it recharged and restarted it was fine again for another while until today.

Thursday 30th - 7.19 miles easy (9:48/mi). Another pre-work run. I'm getting used to these now - certainly for easy runs I don't mind them. Thrown a few strides in during a flat section in the middle of the run. Lumpy enough route apart from that bit in the middle.

Tomorrow will be a rest day, so that's March done at 179.6 miles, a monthly figure I've only topped twice in the past. I'm sitting on 468.1 miles for the year so far, which is a total I'm more than happy with. The non-running supplementary stuff is trending in the right direction too - no giant leaps, but just a better decision here and there around diet and sleep, and the weekly S&C is becoming part of the routine, along with a small dollop of walking.

It's looking like I will make the Ennis 10km on Sunday, so it will be interesting to see how that goes. My race PB is 44:48 from the Coillte 10k nearly 4 years ago, but that's a figure I've bested a number of times in other races, most recently during the Dungarvan 10 miler (43:21). Plugging my time from that 10M race into Tinman predicts a 42:47 10km, so I guess that is the target for Sunday - a 2 minute PB? I've yet to check the course or weather, so either of them might change expectations. It's not a goal race either way, but I do intend to give it a good lash on the day.

Ennis 10km report - 42:54 (PB of 1:54)

After a few miles shakeout on the Saturday, I was all set for the trip to Ennis. Had a brutal night's sleep, but at least that meant I was up early. Hit the road way too early as it turned out, and got to Ennis just after 9 for the 11 o'clock start. Race HQ and start were at the Lees Road sports complex - a hugely impressive setup with a running track, 4G/astro pitches, multiple grass pitches, a playground and skatepark, plus perimieter walking path and trails into the forest. The place was a hive of activity all morning, with rugby, soccer and GAA matches and training all taking place, in addition to the race. There was a 2k kids race at 9:30 so I watched the start of that, then registered for the 10k. Mooched around while before getting in a couple of miles warm-up.

Pretty sure this was the sunniest day I've ran on this year, although at 10 o'clock it had the look of a right scorcher - thankfully that didn't come to pass. I'd looked up the route on Friday - seemed to be a lumpy enough course with a downhill start out of the complex and a notable hill around the 3 mile mark. A few conversations in the starting area confirmed this - general consensus was to save something for the hill at halfway, then the course was helping on the way home. No chip timing here and with a field of around 300 I wasn't positioned too far back anyway.

Once we were off I was determined to take advantage of the first mile, which was largely downhill as we headed out of the complex. Not too much congestion and plenty lanes opened up to get through where necessary. It wasn't exactly a complete downhill, with a couple of little crests to navigate. Things flattened out once we left the complex - I wasn't too far from the 40 minute pacers after my fast start, but now settled into the pace and one or two started to pass by - this was fine as I was trying to manage the effort a bit until the hill at halfway. First 2 miles came in at 6:41 and 7:03. Wondered after if I should have pushed a bit more in that 2nd mile, but who knows how things would have played out if I did.

Spent most of the 3rd mile tucked behind or alongside an impressive masters runner - he was running strongly, although his elbows were a bit erratic so I gave him a little extra room. 3rd mile ticked by in 6:59 as we turned left and hit the main climb of the route. It was a sharp, reasonably short climb and I ran it up pretty strongly. From here on in I tried to left the pace, and did to a limited extent. The course was more helpful now, but there was still plenty of undulations - just when you thought it might flatten out now, another sly little uphill would appear. 4th mile was a 6:46.

As we turned left and headed back towards the finish the wind became a factor, and the little stone walls lining the roads offered no shelter. I was pretty isolated too at this stage - some footsteps behind, and I picked off the odd runner coming back towards me, but the field had spread out. 5th mile was a 6:58. I kept trying to increase the pace and push on, but the legs just wouldn't obey. The wind wasn't helpful at all. As we passed the 8k mark, the owner of the footsteps from behind passed me by, I tried to go with him but just couldn't. He went off into the distance and my focus for the last mile was on another runner about 100m ahead - this guy looked like he was in trouble and kept looking over his shoulder - I'm not sure if he was concerned about me and our "battle" for what turned out to be 52nd place, or maybe he had a rival further behind - either way his nervousness should have given me the encouragement to catch him but I just couldn't close the gap. The 6th mile came in at 6:55 and even for the last bit I couldn't force much of a kick (6:43). I stopped the watch at 42:52, but the results give me 42:54 so that's the new PB figure.

I think @ReeReeG summed up my feelings on this one best with her strava comment - solid. Not a wildly impressive showing, but by no means a disgrace, and most definitely more progress. I was a bit annoyed not to hit the target of a 2 minute PB, but a 1:54 PB is nothing to be sniffed at so I would feel a bit greedy if I complained too much. I'm not too worried about the lack of freshness in the legs - presumably that's to be expected mid-block with no real taper, and this was only a tune-up race, so job very much done I guess.

After a feed of buns and sandwiches, plus a few chats with locals, I did a few miles cooldown to take me over 10 miles for the day, and 38 for the week. Legs feel fine today, which is good as the plan is for 10 miles later this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That makes it sounds like my comment didn't imply how impressed I was 😅 I certainly thought it was an impressive run, you're in great shape

10ks are hard at the best of times, throw in you are mid training block with no real taper and that was a great result, you are in great shape and really in a position to have a brilliant year. Lees Road is indeed a very impressive facility, I've stopped there a few times with the kids. Is it a race you'd do again? It sounds like maybe you could have done with a bit more depth in the field? A problem I frequently have, getting isolated early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB A, nicely done👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Well done on the PB.

That's something I forgot to mention - this was my first 10k in almost 4 years I think. I did a few shorter races last summer (5k-8k) but even those were more controlled efforts as I worked back into things. So, I was a bit lost here when it came to figuring out the correct effort - there was a few occassions in miles 2 and 3 when I could have went with a small group, but held back. I think I passed most of them later on so maybe the right choice was made, but I was definitely a bit rusty at the distance.

The race was really well run, the whole place was very friendly and there was a fine spread afterwards. The route itself was challenging but fair. There was actually another 10k in Ennis on the previous Saturday, with almost 600 runners in that, so I'm sure that one diluted this field, and vice versa. Not sure what the story is there, both races were part of different 4-race series ('Run Clare' and 'Run The Banner'). I'd have no bother running it again anyway - the smaller field might actually have been an ideal test in a tune-up race, although as you say I'd definitely like more numbers if it was a target race. It was also a touch further than I'd like to travel for a handy-sized 10km (1 hr 20 mins drive), so if I'd something closer that suited it would be preferable.

Haha, nope, too late. Offence has been taken and a giant chip is firmly in place on my shoulder now.

It'd be about the same distance from me and I wouldn't ordinarily go that far for a race either unless it was a target race but funnily/annoyingly enough I just realised I could have done that 10k! My son spent 7hrs, 20-25mins away there in Coole Park, from 9am-4pm yesterday doing a Scouts thing. I was looking for something to do and ended up driving back into Galway which was a bit of a trek to be honest. I could as easily have pottered down and done that 10k with a decent up/down as well and nice coffee afterwards, I'm a bit annoyed now I didn't think of it! Oh well, next time I'm going to be stuck somewhere for a day I might think of checking out local races. Lol, sorry to hijack with my own random thoughts! Yes agree it definitely takes practise to get the balance between pacing & pushing yourself for the shorter stuff again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

With recent half marathon and 10k PBs in the bag do you have any plans to target a 5k?

I would imagine there's scope to take a chunk out of your PB there too.

As it happens I do have plans to tackle a 5k! There's another tune-up race in the plan for 2 weeks time, and for that I'm eyeing up a 5k in Clara, Offaly on Sunday 16th. It's another one that's a bit far (90 mins) to be travelling, but it's all that I can find so far that suits. Could pivot to a parkrun, but we've underage soccer training Saturday mornings so I don't like missing that too often.

Tinman reckons I should currently be able to take 30s or so off the 21:08 PB. If I come somewhere close to the sub-20 in Clara, I might try again in May/June before knuckling down to marathon training.

• Advertisement

Great big PB and sounds like a really well executed run. Congrats!

(I’m a fan myself of getting to the race early. Really good for getting into the zone. So well done there too.)

Advertisement