Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The cadet who had been put in temporary command by the captain before he died and went off the rails on power and sedatives, though to be fair the entire crew went a bit unhinged!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be clear, I kinda meant fictional Teenagers; the actual teenagers I meet or pass tend to be broadly happy, enthusiastic kids (bar the occasional group of grumpy ásshole boys). Especially those who ... well let's say the Daily Mail types would shít on as "woke". Those folk always seem particularly cheery!

But especially in America, "teenager" has become a really tedious trope towards being these emotionally sullen, over-cranked creatures I can barely tolerate. Suppose it just makes for a cheap, lazy way to manufacture endless relationship drama.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But especially in America, "teenager" has become a really tedious trope towards being these emotionally sullen, over-cranked creatures I can barely tolerate.

And all portrayed by 30 year olds with perfect skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Valient was an excellent follow up to a thread they threw down with Red Squad’s introduction in Paradise Lost. Even back then you could see them playing on the dangers of encouragement becoming enablement of all kinds of bad stuff.

Valient took it even further with a cadet crew who we’re trying their best in difficult conditions but had been drilled into believing that they simply were the best despite their lack of experience. The episode itself thematically swings from an encouraging tone of the cadets preparing for battle to it finally swinging into the horror of them being slaughtered by their own hubris. Another DS9 Classic.

Can a Starfleet Academy show be good? Oh, absolutely.

Can a Starfleet Academy show set Discovery’s future Federation be good? I’ll probably never know, since that setting is so off-putting that I’ll likely not watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very well said. I've gone as far as to just stop considering Discovery as canon, so I really couldn't care less what they do with it's spinoffs. I've yet to watch SNW, that's coming up soon for me, and by all accounts it's good which is good to hear, but Pike and co didn't need Discovery to be good, in fact, it was the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can a Starfleet Academy show set Discovery’s future Federation be good? I’ll probably never know, since that setting is so off-putting that I’ll likely not watch it.

It speaks to the failure of Discovery that it managed to create a legitimately interesting scenario it couldn't do anything with: a Federation fragmented and on the wane, having to reassert itself in the geopolitical and social climate. Imagine all the cultural and societal storytelling possible for an institution without the clout and weight of supremacy behind it.

Naw, it'll be tears and Cadet PrettyFace angsting over her hot Andorian boyfriend, Cadet SmellTheFart.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What new series have been commissioned?

Im not watching the last series of discovery.

I hear we are getting star fleet a academy and it's gonna be as woke as discovery.

Say it ain't so!

I don’t put a lot of truck into the word “woke” as a complaint, since it’s a bit of a catch-all overused by some that ignores the real issues behind a production.

If you mean that this new show will have the same problems with tone and production quality as Discovery, then I share those concerns. The 32nd Century of Discovery is very unappealing and they’ve done a very bad job at presenting a type of Trek that I personally want to watch anymore. They don’t seem all that good at writing for character arcs, and I think that’s going to be essential for a show based at the Academy.

But yes, if this is just going to be more of the same as what we got in Discovery, then they really shouldn’t bother. Might be cancelled faster than Discovery.

The star trek academy thing has been hanging around for decades. It sounds like Dawsons creek in space to me.

What the **** is wrong at a new crew and space ship based around the "present"

Sure throw in the odd guest appearance but go forward into space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It basically lists all the worst things about Discovery.

The new Academy show at least looks honest about who it's for. It will be an actual show for teens rather than a show supposedly for adults but full of angsty whingebag stuff.

They are drafting in a CW veteran to write the Academy show.

As for the Dominion show it just feels like this team are so desperate to be liked that they jump on any little thing. I would rather they do something because they have a compelling idea.

A show set just after the war is the latest one been thrown around as "in development" same way they did with S31

Oh no. Why not go forward. Another prequel!!

Plus If its another dark set I'm definitely not going to watch it.

If it actually happens they probably choose an era they can just rejig the PIC sets for.

I doubt the darkness is going anywhere.

Its pretty sad that I still can't get a solid image in my head as to the layout of the Titan bridge.

I opted out of superman and lois for the same reasons.

The dark sets

Anyway the future ain't bright for star trek.

But the money men who ultimately call the shots must be making money to proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyway the future ain't bright for star trek

SNW, Lower Decks, Prodigy and Picard Season 3 all been brilliant and more to come and you say the future ain't bright. It has never been brighter.

I opted out of superman and lois for the same reasons.

That's your loss. The latest season is actually very good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I will give you that those shows are promising but the first two seasons of Picard were not that great.

As to Superman both seasons were not that bad but the sets are doing my head in

If I get more dark lighting on any show I'm not tunning in

We have yet to see what star trek academy will be like but the title smacks of biceps and T and A.

But whatever floats your boat!

Starfleet Academy is almost certainly in the 32nd century so probably the writing team from Disco.

And T and A will most likely be teens and angst.

• Advertisement

IM thankful my son became a star wars fan instead of Trek after hearing this.

It's nothing to pass onto a boy.

Ya because the newer Star Wars stuff is all top notch 🤣

Ms

Such an old fashioned way over thinking. What is it you do not want to pass onto him?

What if he came upto you tomorrow or in 5 or 10 years and Said he feels he is the wrong gender and wants to transition. What would you say or do then?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

So First Contact is on in Smith field Cinema this Sunday,

I am tempted to go see it again in the cinema but I seen it when it came out in 1998 with my brother in the cinema so kind of conflicted.

Superman in out in the cinema too for its 45th anniversery and I am tempted to go see that too as I have never experienced that in the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

That's a bit of leap from a light-hearted joke.

Please don't bring the transgender debate into this. I'm sick of it. The percentages are tiny and we have a homeless crisis.

Star trek has been terribly disappointing for 20 years.

Discovery was too woke and too boring..

The previous two series voyager and enterprise were overall terrible

SNW is the only hope on the horizon

The original 1979 film was a joy. I saw it as a boy.

So, ever since I bought my ‘RITOS’ T-Shirt from the Star Trek webshop, I’ve occasionally gotten spam from them into my inbox. The spam most contained fairly inoffensive Trek branded tat. Nothing annoying, or worth buying, just ignorable stuff.

But then I got their First Contact Day email, and saw this:

Random character names from the movie in a generic font, and a Starfleet symbol at the end. What annoys me about this is the pure laziness of that. It barely makes sense as a Trek T-shirt, and without the symbol it’s just text. You could use dozens of other sources to make the same T-Shirt yourself and yet they’ll charge a premium for that. The blatant lack of effort just winds me up.

Also the text probably won’t last long. My RITOS t-shirt was illegible after far too few washes. Although I’m still hopeful that Trek show’s might get better, this kind of crap from the merchandising makes me concerned about how healthy the brand will remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Jaysus. For a Star Trek fan, the message (it's been the one message since 1966!) seems to have been missed entirely...

Advertisement