Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You may have a point there. It goes without saying this is a dark case.

The couple may feel that it was a lifetime ago, that it was a different world and they were different people. Perhaps the husband is protecting the wife, perhaps vice versa. Perhaps a third-party, we may never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

There's actually nothing scandalous about this questioning. That's what happens in court. If you are giving damning evidence against somebody then that person's legal representatives have the right, and indeed duty, to cross-examine you thoroughly including bringing your motives and/or character into question. Extraordinary privilege is granted to interrogators in a court room for that very reason. It was inevitable that Joanne Hayes be subjected to such a thorough grilling. Brutal it certainly is, but that's the way the courts worked then and the way they work now.

If that tribunal were taking place today, a young woman in the same position would be subjected to a cross examination every bit as hostile and it wouldn't matter a damn if her tormentor was a male or female barrister. Remember the storm of protest back in 2018 when a barrister defending an alleged rapist told the jury that the fact that the 17-year old complainant was wearing thong underwear should be taken into consideration? (The barrister--actually a Senior Counsel--was called Elizabeth)

What might be different today, compared to 1985, is the moral subject matter that would be used to trash a witness's credibility. A barrister expressing fake horror at a MARRIED woman going to the pub for a drink with a male colleague before going home (which happened during the Kerry Babies Tribunal and was widely ridiculed even then) wouldn't happen now. But if you are a shy, overawed, private young woman, completely unfamiliar with court practices and the hostility of lawyers you are going to be treated as much like a dog's chew toy as was Ms Hayes 40 years ago.

They wouldn't sneer at you for having sex, but by God they would scour your social media history for evidence of crimes considered heinous by the mores of today.

Have you ever posted ANYTHING that might attract accusations of racism? Ever??

Have you ever "Liked" a post or a tweet by somebody of questionable reputation, like an anti-immigrant activist? (This is a particularly frowned upon activity. Ask Kellie Harrington. )

Have you ever said "Wait a minute...." when asked to state that a well known man is now a woman and should be not only spoken of as such but actually thought of as such? This will get you into BIG trouble. Ask JK Rowling

Did you ever appear as a Wise Man in a school nativity play and apply some fake tan to your face to "get into character"? I hope you didn't apply too much and if you did I hope there are no incriminating photographs. If there are, God help you.

This is not to condone racism, xenophobia or transphobia. Just to point out that if you are a witness in a court case involving serious crimes you have got to be SQUEAKY clean on all of the above. A hint of suspicion that you might have dodgy views on any of those topics and you will be torn apart.

The real scandal of the Kerry Babies, and it WAS a scandal, is that the Gardai extracted false statements from an innocent family and when the forensic evidence and basic common sense proved that these were untrue, they were unable and/or unwilling to withdraw them and make amends. That was a disgrace. And it led to the brutal treatment of the Hayes family in the witness box. THAT was horrible, unfair and rightly made a lot of people very angry.

But it wasn't the scandal; just a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Indeed as you say the DPP may take this no further (if they say nothing), and that's simply abhorrent to me."

If the DPP take no action it will stink to high Heaven of a cover-up, especially if this

" garda officer who had general knowledge of the investigation, but who is now deceased." had any link to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Madd Finn, you do realise a Tribunal is not a court. The fact that we generally have High Court judges chairing them confuses this. Joanne Hayes was never the defendant. Chairman should have reined in the questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It was a tribunal of investigation to find out why and how the Gardaí mishandled this case as you describe. Joanne Hayes was asked to be help and be a witness so as the tribunal could get to the bottom of the matter. She had been exonerated at this stage and was not on trial. And yet the aforementioned barristers twisted and turned the agenda so as to effectively put her on trial and assassinate her character. It was absolutely shameful and the chairman should have stopped their gallop immediately. Is it any wonder that tribunals got a bad name as a result, who would want to assist the state in an investigation with the prospect of being abused like this??? Answer us this.

Meanwhile the real parents and family of baby John just sat on their hands. Absolutely shameful.

• Advertisement

The reality at the moment (with the information we have) is there is no road to conviction for any offence, so there is no credible road to a prosecution as things stand.

People are free to post about a supposed Garda cover-up (without any evidence) if they so wish, but it's in the realms of conspiracy. Bear mind that the two Gardai connected to the couple are apparently dead (one of them long-dead before the events of 84).

I do of course realise that a Tribunal is not a criminal trial and there are no "defendants" or "prosecutors" but it is a sworn hearing, presided over by a judge, usually in a court room, with evidence given on oath and liable to cross examination. I do not mean to imply any lack of sympathy for the Hayes family and the ordeal they went through. It was terrible. And the Gardai were at fault for extracting false confessions under, er, duress and then refusing to acknowledge their actions.

All I am saying is that were a similar enquiry to be held today, under oath and with serious wrong doing being alleged, then witnesses would be liable to equally harsh cross-examination. Although the priggishness and self-righteousness that would inform the questioning would be based on different moral questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I see one of the headlines in the Indo that Gardai are now interviewing relatives of the parents- assume this includes their children.

Sounds like they’re trying all they can to get just one person to admit one significant detail so that they have a case-

someone mentioned “withholding evidence” as a potential charge? I don’t see that going ahead as a case- the state still have to prove guilt, not the parents proving innocence

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

“I have only sympathy for two creatures on this,” he said, “the babies – and that’s my final word on that”.

No apology for what was either the deliberate stitching up of Hayes or just sheer incompetence by him and his colleagues, the prick!

• Advertisement

What an arrogant, absolute dick. But I am not surprised.

🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Did i read that right that he's saying he was only involved for 48 hours

Read like he was downplaying his role now

Totally.

All we / the authorities know are who the parents are- there may post mortem evidence that points to how the baby met his death-but everything after that is simple conjecture. Never ask never tell May have been the approach here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Xander10

As a retired detective, how has he been given the names of the couple, that have not been identified publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

A person charged with murder is considered innocent until the prosecution PROVE, beyond reasonable doubt, that the defendant is guilty. The burden of proving guilt is down to the prosecution. The defendant does not need to prove innocence! They ARE innocent until proven otherwise.

The DPP are unable to bring cases to court unless they have case to prove. This is why files are sent to DPP, to see if there is enough evidence to bring case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Because someone told him. It's not secret information as such - it just can't be published in the media. But it's known to plenty enough people (current guards, the solicitor and his staff, media, neighbours, employers of the parents).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Shameful that Detective Garda Gerry O'Carroll STILL will not apologise for the hurt he caused by his insistence up to last Friday that Joana Hayes gave birth to twins that had two different sets of DNA

Hopefully he will be known from now one as that "Very stupid and incompetent former garda"

and that's as nice a way of putting it as I can do.

He is what is wrong with the garda. A total refusal to apologise even when it is beyond all doubt whatsoever that he was entirely wrong. Maybe the Hayes family can sue him personally for defamation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭chooseusername

“All I am saying is that were a similar enquiry to be held today, under oath and with serious wrong doing being alleged, then witnesses would be liable to equally harsh cross-examination.”

The wrong person was being cross-examined, charges against Hayes had already been dropped, the tribunal was set up to look at how the Gardai handled the case.

Anyway it wouldn’t be allowed today, tribunal or trial;

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Xander10

It reminds me of the Sophie Du Plantier case, where the leading Garda that worked on the case, is 100% convinced to this day that Ian Bailey is guilty, but without a single shred of actual evidence. That's not how the Justice system is meant to work.

• Advertisement

The media also had their role to play in turning both of those cases in to absolute circuses (irony enough that Bailey was part of the yellow-pack press at the time).

I read that at the time the people of Abbeydorney blocked the roads leading to the Hayes' house to prevents journalists from swarming them.

It kind of gets to the heart of what justice is for. Is it for the victims or is it some sort of grotesque show and perverse entertainment?

Honestly, even now in 2023, I think the Gardai could have conducted these arrests quietly and not made a media hullabaloo about it. If the couple were/are to be charged, call a press conference then and tip-off all the journalists you want.

A much softer approach is called for- a quiet discussion around the birth of baby John and his whereabouts in the days before his discovery might have brought some new information- or maybe not, who knows- then if needs must, arrest for suspicion of murder- but I don’t think this particular move was a constructive way of obtaining information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I don't know about private discussion, it's all maybes like everything here

Im assuming they wanted surprise arrests and separate questioning

Probably had a few curve balls to throw at them

There were names posted here until Boards mods removed the post.

And also adding a big fat IFs and ANDs to his reluctant acceptance....

Asked if in light of the DNA evidence, he now accepts this was not the case, Mr O’Carroll said: “I’ve always said – yes, if there was definitive evidence.

“I was never happy with the blood grouping – but DNA, I have to accept, that is finite proof.

“If they have taken the DNA from Baby John, and it is tied in and definitive, and they have obviously used outside agencies for objectivity and reliability, well then, that’s the end of it.”

Always an IF.

It's a bit of a Garda tactic in high-profile cases to shake-out further witnesses and statements via the media by making a noisy arrest, tipping off the media to it and having accompanying press-conference.

Red tops and Gardai alike love that stuff. "Top Cops Close-in on Killer" headlines etc etc. Given that the new(ish) cold case squad is responsible for this case, you'd feel they want to eek out some sort of win in this case by whatever means they can, even if they're operating off a weak case.

Whether such a tactic was and is appropriate in this particular circumstances given the sensitivities involved and the previous bungling of the case is an open question.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

Agreed, it probably is a form of strategic tactic by the gardai, for reasons only known to them. I just want to say that the gardai of today aren’t a bunch of self important dicks, maybe some are, but they’re gardai because they want to be gardai not because they were forced into it or it was the only job they could get. There always will be the odd dick but by and large they’re professional, courteous and helpful.

What do you mean "the wrong witness was being cross-examined"??? Joanne Hayes was the PRIMARY witness in the Tribunal of Enquiry into the actions of Gardai!! After all, she was the one who had confessed to the most serious crime--murder--even though forensic evidence and common sense showed she could not possibly have committed it. You may not have liked the line of questioning but you can't deny she was a key witness. She was there!!!

The article by Michael O'Regan that you quoted is ignorant BS for the most part. Perhaps the only insightful passage is the one that says "those who were young in the 1980s were horrified by the tales that they had heard of the grim 1950s, yet most failed to stand up for a young Kerry woman, Joanne Hayes, who faced a tsunami of patriarchy and the trumpeting of values soon shown afterwards to have feet of clay."

The implication being that those who are young today might be just as horrified looking back at how things were in the 1980s and wonder how people could behave like that.....and then behave in a very similar way themselves.

You might think that a young woman who had conducted for years an affair with a married colleague, and who continued in that relationship even after they had had a child together and her lover refused to leave his wife and children, might be treated less judgmentally by a sworn tribunal of enquiry today. (Don't count on it) But I rather suspect that the "tsunami" of self-righteous and condemnatory questioning to which she would be subjected by cross-examining lawyers today would be informed by the "trumpeting" of a rather different set of values. eg racism, homophobia, trans-skepticism etc

And the replacement of the "patriarchy" by an army of female lawyers wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. If you are old enough to remember the tribunal, imagine Nell McCafferty with a law degree. If you are not, imagine Michelle from Derry Girls with a similar qualification and being cross examined by that lethal tongue. Doesn't bear thinking about!!

And can you be sure that some of these values won't be shown to have "feet of clay" in coming years? Maybe people in 40 years time will look back on today's highly sensitive, quick-to-outrage, cancel-culture society and think "God what an awful time! I'm glad I live in the '60s"

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

I can guarantee you one thing, things haven’t changed that much, someone having a child with a married man or woman today would still be severely frowned on. At least today the welfare of the child is what comes first. Wording is important here too, it’s nearly always “she had a child with a married man” (gasp, pretend shock). The pressures may be a thing of the past but the connotation is still alive and healthy unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What had Haye's virginity got to do with a tribunal investigating garda incompetence?

Advertisement