Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They beat the Grizzlies, yeah

Look I don’t know what to tell you really. If they make the playoffs they’ll be the first ever team to do it off a 2 - 10 start. They took 74 games to get to .500. That tells me they were a poor basketball team for most of the season but something has changed, and we know what that something is:

they’re healthy

they got better at the trade deadline

Any team with the King on a 13 - 6 run since the break will have pundits taking note. So the original whining about that has a clear response.

Nobody is saying any more than that. They will be dogs in the 1st round if they’re playing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Not trying to be controversial or anything but why would you feel bad for Luka and Mavs, maybe feel bad for Luka a little as he doesn’t have a lot of support but it’s not like he makes everyone around him better, I love him but he plays way too much iso ball, maybe cos he has to but with the Mavs, they made some bad decisions and any team that looks to Kyrie to solve their problems deserves what they get in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I don’t feel for Irving, the front office, Cuban or Kidd, but I do feel for the rest of the team.

The expectations and comments they have to deal with are extra, but that’s what being a professional sports person is about I guess!

I’d love to see Doncic excel and dominate for years, but afraid he’ll burn out too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

Watching again last night against Jazz, so strange to see LeBron tearing to the basket way more than he has in recent years. Hes not settling for outside shots now. Probably because there is more spacing in the team but he looks as fit as ever.

He was second in transition scoring on the year (only to Giannis) before his injury. At 38. It’s stupid stuff. He’s falling off his peak, no question. But it’s been such a graceful decline to date.

But yeah, he’s been running the floor all year. He’s taking less shots outside (6.7 3PA vs 8 last year) and making less (.303 average on the season, the worst since his rookie season) this year on his highest offensive usage since 2010. So he’s been taking it to the hoop much more than we’ve seen in years.

The Lakers right now this moment are the best they’ve been since the bubble. LeBron has arguably had his worst overall season since his rookie year but he’s doing things physically that bode well for playoff ball, in the context of a more complete lineup.

Hard to see them winning a back to back tonight against the Clippers, so I think they’ll be playing in for the 7th seed to face the Grizzlies. If no injuries to LeBron or AD that is a mouth watering round one series. Can’t wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it's looking likely/possible that the lakers could play dallas in the play-in tournament, after a quick look after last nights results

How are you getting that?

Dallas can’t catch the Lakers or New Orleans at this point so can’t get in the 7th / 8th game

If the Lakers win one of their last two games they can’t be overtaken by both of the Wolves / Pelicans

So I think it’s a very remote possibility they play in the 9th / 10th game

Lakers would have to lose out, Wolves would have to win out, New Orleans win their other game and Dallas would also need to overtake the Thunder

is it not 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th ? lakers likely at 7th , and dallas likely to land at 10th

my mistake , I thought it was a straight knockout, not the loser of 7th vs 8th getting a second chance !!

pity , would have been nice seeing them having to face off in a one match knockout

Yeah the play in gives a big advantage to the higher seeds, which I think is appropriate personally

So a 7th seed would get two home games to progress into the playoffs

A 10th seed needs to win two road games on the trot to nab the 8th seed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sixers getting thumped in Philly by the Heat. 4.30ish left in the game and it's 118-87.

thought the thunder may lose against the jazz. but looks like dallas will indeed not even make the play-in

Giving up assets for Kyrie and finishing 11th is a terrible outcome, no question

Mavs sitting players tonight, waving the white flag

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Deebo and Zach out as well so Bulls offense is fucked. Zach has really balled out since all Star weekend and Bulls really picked up since Pat Bev came on board. Vuc needs to take over for us to stand a chance against Luka.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Cuban went on a bit of a ent about them letting Brunson go, saying they didn’t have a choice, he is kind of letting a few facts out, they had plenty of time to resign him.

They are really messing up this prime Doncic era, he will bounce when he has the chance if they don’t get their **** together

Luka went 0-5 3's before taking himself out of the game at the start of the second quarter. Mavs leading most of it and the Bulls scraped it back too barely win. Dunno why mavs wouldn't make the effort to make the play in and gave up so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'd argue that Mark Cuban is the big problem in Dallas but because he's media friendly and always talks a good game he gets away with not being a very good owner.They got open championship because of how loyal Dirk Nowitzki was I doubt Doncic is going to be as loyal as Dirk was.

I think they decided they couldn’t win a championship with the current team so would rather have top 4 lottery pick equity.

They were 6th in the West when they traded two starters and an unprotected 1st for Kyrie. Losing record with Kyrie on the court. Kyrie needs the right stuff around him and Doncic and co ain’t it.

A disastrous trade but I also don’t hate the call to end the season now. If the players and the coaching staff don’t see a route to a championship it’s all a pointless endeavour. There is no magic in the NBA playoffs. You can’t win a seven game series if your team isn’t it.

Doncic needs to improve himself physically to become a championship player imo, and he needs much more around him.

Anyway much rather the Play in spot go to the Thunder. Young hungry team going in with the house money.

• Advertisement

Yeah, It's been a disaster since Kyrie came onboard but I still think they could put on a playoff run but like you said, if they're not in it, might as well go for a lottery pick. There's a clip of Cuban smirking when they bricked that 3 to tie the game and then the 3 threes in the last 15, seconds were a block, airball and the other only hit the backboard, gas stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Especially in a game against a bulls team with nothing to play for. We had g league guys and rookies etc most of the game, no demar or Zach. I turned it off after luka left. Shocked they lost it all the same.

So I reckon the final word on Dallas is this: losing last night was the difference between having a 1st round pick or not having one, as they owe New York a top 10 protected pick. It’s a critical offseason and they need all the assets they can have.

Playing the Bulls sealed the deal, as losing there locked up top 10.

I actually think this is a great move - they are refusing to throw good money after bad. The Kyrie stuff wasn’t working, they have limited athleticism and D outside and nothing inside. I would go so far as to say they had <1% championship equity with this roster. The worst move would be running it into a play in for an 8th seed where they would be massive dogs to Denver - just to justify the Kyrie trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Will be interesting to see how he fares in the World Cup.

The nba are how investigating Mavs for losing but they're the ones who created the system that encourages tanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Adams apparently done for the season. Thats a blow for the Grizzles.

I think each of the Clippers and Warriors will just win today, but ending up as the 7th seed is arguably a more attractive prospect than the 6th or 5th - particularly the latter.

Anthony Edwards is a MAN

Things getting heated at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The mistake they made was to start them (Luka and Kyrie) and then take them out of the game after the 1st quarter. They could have just said both players were out with soft tissue injuries or strains or back pain etc. (the kind you can’t prove either way).

Advertisement