Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help finding a death cert

• 03-04-2023 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭

I'd appreciate any help in finding a death record. She was born Celia Finan on 22nd August 1885 in Cloonfower, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon. She was also recorded as Celia in the census records. She married Greene. Her name is recorded as Cecelia Greene on her memorial card and her death is recorded as 12th March 1957 aged 71. Her address was Lismurtagh, Tulsk, Co. Roscommon. I haven't been able to find any death record for her. It looks like her death wasn't registered. I just thought that I'd post it here to see if anyone may be able to find something if they're willing. Thank you.

Answers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm afraid I've had no luck either - not on Irish Genealogy or the indexes at Ancestry and Family Search.

I did find an obituary in the Roscommon Herald which confirms the date of death and records that she died at home and was buried in Castlerea Cemetery.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Thank you so much for looking. I had tried to find a newspaper obituary before but couldn't find one.

Edit: I found the article. I must have been looking for Celia that time.

I'm just curious what her cause of death was recorded as since there was supposed to have been an accident at home. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is any record.

Maybe try contacting the GRO direct to see if they have it on file

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you! I will try that. For some reason, I thought that you needed the specific index number, etc. for them to carry out a search but I see that they do have a search form just using the person's details.

Yes I think with the details you have they’ll be happy to do a search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭55Gem

This is the second time I've come across no cert for an accident at home death. I wonder if the coroner was involved is it a case of the coroner's office not registering the death. It has been known to happen.

Just to update the thread. I contacted the GRO and they replied today that they could find no record for Cecelia Greene. The death must have never been registered.

I think that I actually have another case in my family where the death wasn't registered. The man's name was John Flynn baptised on 9th May 1849. According to his will, his death took place on 21st September 1920. He lived in Cloonchambers, Castlerea. However, the unusual detail of the will that I've attached is that the will only seems to have been granted in 1936. This is the headstone: https://historicgraves.com/st-joseph-s-castlereagh/ro-con-0142/grave

Advertisement