Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah I've been critical of McDonagh, but I thought he was very good yesterday. A lot of the time, he was playing sweeper, or blocking the space in front of full back line, whatever you want to call it.

Actually saw a Galway player eyeing up the pass inside, but saw McDonagh and had to pass backwards instead. I'd say his role is the unglamorous hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Can someone who knows more than me and/or was at the game tell me how Aiden O' Shea played ?

From watching it on TV I saw him get on a lot of ball and do a lot of work, he had a very good game.

But was he utilized as a "big man inside" at all ?

I can't recall him being a target man at any time.

What was the reasoning for that. ?

Had Galway that angle covered ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

He does a massive shift of the dirty work every week but has been right on the verge of the glamorous stuff a couple of times this year too. Games where he could have had 1-2 or 1-3 more on the scoreboard with a tiny bit more composure or touch more luck on the day. Very fine margins. Looking forward to the game where it finally falls in place for him. He's earned it.

Hopefully someone on the coaching team working on the final execution with Fionn and Eoghan in particular. If we can get those two with their powerful direct running getting on the end of the finish or providing that killer final ball for others it could make a real difference to the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

My thinking on this is that if he had been left inside that Kelly would have been off up the field being a bit more dangerous. Having him out the field early in the game reduced that risk. Also Galway were defending from out the field a bit so the good ball into Aido probably wasn't on very much. We've seen before how just lumping high ball into him is not the best use of the man. Getting him on the ball is more important than having him isolated inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

No point O’Shea playing 14 in April Mcstay knows this. In the big semi final or whatever. If O’Shea waits inside. He only only needs a few good balls to cause wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Galway were set up very defensively too with 7 defenders starting. They made sure to cut out any real kicking game for us.

At the game & watched it back on TV but I'd very much doubt the 'knowing more' end of things.

He played a deeper role than most of his games this year alright. Galway don't leave much space to kick it inside (the first 15 minutes you can see how many times Durcan, Flynn or DOC were looking for space inside and having to recycle instead, despite a lot of movement inside which was being well tracked - Ironically enough Aido himself probably the only one executing good kicks early in the game as he found Ryan with a couple of lovely kicks to put him in behind or earn a mark or two despite the heavy pressure) so I'd imagine the goal was leaving him in and around 11 or midfield at others was aiming to get him more ball and influence the game while leaving more space inside for Carr and ROD to try and exploit. He did his end of things there incredibly well, sadly Galway defence did a solid job on stopping goal chances for the other lads (Carr with the one big chance rattling Gleeson's dome with his left in the second half).

He was a magnet for free kicks as they were completely unable to stop him legally (and the issues they've made of complaining about the refs performance seems to have brought a highlight on their questionable tackling techniques that could go on to bite them later in the year as other refs will be more inclined to notice it given Cawley correctly did), laid off some lovely passes the odd time he wasn't fouled and did a fantastic job on the press or defensively all game.

Wasn't quite at the level that Reape and Coyne hit for MOTM kind of thing but that was mostly a question of how often we were able to feed him where he barely put a foot wrong the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think it can actually be distilled down to 1 win in a knockout game 21+ years

They beat Kerry in the opening group stages QF in 2018, but that was not a knockout game.

They beat Armagh on penalties in 2022, but technically that was a draw.

So their only win in that sort of environment was the SF win v Derry in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's bad alright.

So is Shane Walsh's. Being kind one might say he fluffed his lines again. Others might say he choked. But I always found that was a ridiculous thing to say even though it has been thrown at some Mayo players often enough from across the border. So if its good for the goose.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hard to argue with that but Galway football has been largely in the doldrums between '01 up until PJ took over. There was a period there, apart from an occasional sporadic flicker, when a few seasons went by when they didn't play there at all. Simple fact of the matter is if you're good enough up there, you will win.

But c'mon, Mayo calling *our* record in CP 'interesting' for the past 20 years...????!!!!

Yeah there's all of that - we've played them 4 times now in Croker, 3 of those being Finals (1 Connacht in 2021 and 2 National Leagues, 2001 and 2023) and we've won each time.

😁😅😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Probably a similar enough team for next Sunday. If I was McStay I'd drop Ruane, theres only so long he can keep underperforming, a kick up the hole might do him no harm. Flynn/Carney to the middle and McHale in the half forward line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Let's look at something more relevant to the current teams say the last 5 years for example.

Mayo,finals played in Croke Park

Played 5,lost 2,won 3

Galway,finals played in Croke Park

Played 4 lost 4,won 0

Ruane was close to man of the match vs Donegal and Carney was no better than him yesterday. With all due respect, McHale has done nothing to warrant a start.

Standout forward in Mayo over the last three years

That Donegal match is Ruanes only decent performance since 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

That's simply not true. The standout forward for the past 3 years has been O'Donoghue.

You could also make an argument for Conroy as he was nominated for two All-Stars in that time.

McHale has never performed close to those levels at county level irrespective of what he has done for his club.

That's not true. Sure he's barely played for knockmore the last two seasons due to injury.

Ruane was very good in the Galway and Armagh games earlier in the league too. I think he gets judged by higher standards to others. If he's not getting 2 or 3 scores from play people think he had a bad game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not a scoring thing for me re Ruane. He's loose in possession, runs into traffic far too often and is too easily turned over for a man of his size and athleticism. I don't think he imposes himself on games enough anymore. Maybe it's a form thing or maybe most teams have his number now, I don't know.

• Advertisement

I think it's more a case of reminding Galway of their lack of success given the amount of times we've had a number of the Galwegian contingent (a small but persistent group of Gobsh8's) remind us of ours. Galway Football has improved, but the smart remarks from that aforementioned contingent down the years of Mayo losing finals are coming home to roost now.

I get that you'd favour your own clubman but both of the above statements are a bit of a stretch, certainly the one about Ruane. Matty has been outstanding in a number of games and the expectations and standards he is held to are higher than most.

Did he lose possession at all yesterday? I can't remember any. He won a big turnover early in the first half that led to one of our points.

McDonagh got turned over 2 or 3 times, Carney had one very poor lateral hand pass that got intercepted and Ryan got turned over a couple of times including for their last score.

I don't see why Ruane is constantly singled out for losing possession.

I think Maher fairly had his number yesterday. He was probably Galway's best performer on the day overall.

Excited to see how these lads get on this year. Rio Mortimer one of the stars of last years team (pipped by Galway in the All Ireland Final having beaten them twice earlier in the Connacht Championship) and Darragh Beirne right up there with the Hurley's when it comes to Claremorris box office forwards.

Huge fan of Sean Deane and the brand of football he had them playing, always coming across incredibly well any time you'd hear him speaking too. Boyler part of the backroom team now so can't imagine they'll end up short on heart or determination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

22 different clubs represented there I think, great spread

• Advertisement

You're splitting hairs there in fairness over whether he's been the best or second best or third best. Let's say one of the best.

The only time he got a run of games was in 21 before he got injured in the semi final v Dublin but for that championship he was outstanding, MOTM in at least one if not two of the games, 3-7 from play in a little over three games.

I think he's one of the smartest players I've seen play and I think if he could get a run he'd show people what he can do. Don't think he's suited to coming off the bench

If you watch the first half back Ruane was marking Conroy when Maher got in for his goal chance and scored his point. Don't remember Maher doing much outside of that. Ruane actually won 2 turnovers in the first half that led to points for us.

I don't think Ruane played particularly well yesterday but people do seem to be judging him by completely different standards to other players. McDonagh, Carney and Flynn contributed very little yesterday either.

Tbf, Ruane is one of the senior players so of course he's judged to a higher standard - he's shown in 2020/21 that he's capable of being a star player so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot of him. I thought he was okay yesterday fwiw but I'd like to see more from him

If Flynn continues to improve, he'll move up into that category of player that we'll expect to have a major influence on games consistently

Football is all about opinions and everybody has got one but you (rightly) wont be taken seriously when you say Darren McHale has been the best Mayo forward over the last 3 years.I think you also might be forgetting he was injured for a lot of that time.A good squad player and I hope he kicks on and is in a position to make the 26 regularly.

Further adding to the notion that you're not coming across as somebody with a good understanding of football is you'd like to drop Mattie Ruane.

Maybe have a bit of a think before posting and people might interact you more positively with you.

That's quite the condescension there, good man

• Advertisement

No worries,

Any time you want to talk nonsense I'll happily point it out👍

I mentioned McDonagh in a previous comment already - I think he could struggle to hold his place. Flynn is another one who has probably had his card marked by now and will probably need to find more to impose himself on games from here on out.

I don't think it's controversial to point out that Ruane needs to find more too and hasn't been reaching previous levels we know he is capable of reaching. He has had great performances for Mayo and established himself as a leader in the team over the last few years, but I do feel he has struggled a bit with form for over a year now. And of course he will be judged by different standards to the likes of Carney, who is still a very young player. Ruane is supposed to be leading the likes of Carney and frankly, we know what Ruane is capable of, so he should be held to higher standards.

That's fair enough, Ruane is capable of more.

However saying Maher had his number is simply not true if you watch the game back. Likewise saying he's loose in possession and runs into traffic. That didn't happen at all yesterday and hasn't really been an issue during the league from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Was looking at this again in light of how the matches will be fixed and in the above scenarios, our games would be:

Best possible group (based on league positions plus realistic provincial results) if provincial winners:

Mayo v Donegal

Westmeath v Mayo

Neutral venue for Mayo v Clare

Best possible group (based on league positions plus realistic provincial results) if 3rd seed:

Dublin v Mayo

Mayo v Sligo

Neutral Venue for Mayo v Westmeath

Worst possible group (based on league positions plus realistic provincial results) if provincial winners:

Mayo v Galway

Derry v Mayo

Neutral venue for Mayo v Monaghan

Worst possible group (based on league positions plus realistic provincial results) if 3rd seed:

Kerry v Mayo

Mayo v Monaghan

Neutral venue for Mayo v Derry

TBF, when you look at the way the matches will be scheduled, you can see that being 1st seed will probably give you an advantage in terms of finishing top of your group vs being 3rd seed

A lot of recent criticisms (focused on Mattie and Fionn currently but at times seems to be including Jordan and Jack) seem to be focused on one aspect of play. Offence. Even more so it seems hyper focused on ball in hand skill execution and ball in hand decision making only. That's a pretty small part of the overall game and wouldn't be the sole priority (or even top 3 priorities) when selecting those players for those roles. Sure, it's very important. But so are lots of other things.

Looking at a few more aspects of their game all have been pretty great this year (I'll agree with Mattie having more to offer, he can hit the levels Diarmuid has been, but hoping for more and criticising what he has given are very different things). Sure they've all had games where they'll be kicking themselves for snatching at a shot or giving a sloppy turnover but all have been a huge part of giving us the platform to perform game after game. A platform that has really allowed for others on any given day to shine.

If you look at the job any of the lads are doing in Defence (once we're all back and in shape how are we managing to stop teams), Defence Transition (how we manage to get back into shape after something like losing a turnover or a team breaking a press), Offence Transition (how we get forward when we manage to turn the ball over on others) and Offence (how we manage to breakdown a set defence against us)... about 75%-85% of that workload is off the ball. Being in the right place at the right time to either prevent a ball coming in to an attacker on defence or pulling a defender out of position so another player can benefit from the space on offence (something Fionn and Mattie very seldom get praised for but frequently excel at).

Tackling is still huge, fielding important, kick and hand passing very important and taking scores always going to be vital but so much of our current setup is depending on what the 14 lads off the ball are doing for the 1 on it to get all that stuff right. And the lads often being criticised are doing an awful lot of the 'other' hard work very well. We've still a lot of work to do on stopping so many runs down the middle getting through... 5 goal chances coughed up to Galway is 5 too many... but when you break those down to the causes it's not any of the lads mentioned repeatedly or even commonly at fault this year (Maher one Mattie should have done better along with Ryan letting Kelly away a bit easily in the buildup; Heaney one Loftus had to do better in the footrace and put Heaney under more pressure [not necessarily having to win it]; Tierney one Paddy had tracked him brilliantly - give the defenders a thumbs up on that one with it a half chance at best after a very unfortunate turnover on Diarmuid coming into contact with Mattie supporting him; Comer one of the worst chances defensively... Loftus completely out of position and jogging exhausted looking towards the ball rather than busting a gut to cover inside [wouldn't have gotten there in time but you'd hope he'd be trying], Paddy ending up heading for canal after missing a push on Comer... fair play to Diarmuid busting a gut to narrow the goal and Reape covering the near post to stop what should have been buried; Cooke's one had multiple lads falling asleep from a mark assuming they'd point it. Eoghan McLoughlin, Bob Tuohy and Conor Loftus would be at the front of the list getting an earful from me on that one but you could easily pick out 4 or 5 others equally deserving of it. Team failure on combination of physical/mental fatigue on that one).

The five from 8 to 12 have some of the toughest jobs in the two transition phases, while being vital to both offence and defence too, and the energy and exertion they put in is going to cause some mistakes over the course of 70 minutes. Not every player is going to match the stamina needed for those roles the way we're playing them and those that can aren't always going to offer the same pace/physicality/fielding/defensive strengths/offensive strengths as the lads out there. Swapping any one of the lads for Darren McHale, Bob Tuohy, Frank Irwin, Tommy Conroy, Cillian O'Conner, Aidan O'Shea (personally I want him in at 14 99.9% but he can still offer a lot at 11 or 10 as needed), Bryan Walsh, Kevin McLoughlin or playing lads like Enda or Eoghan out of position are all going to offer a variety of pros and cons with very few cases where one player is simply 'better' than another. There will be times when we'd certainly look to change things up. However judging the lads predominantly on the one attacking aspect of the game, that a more attacking alternative could likely do (slightly) better, while ignoring all the other areas of the game we're likely to suffer feels very myopic.

(Said as a huge Darren McHale fan. Love his style of play, vision, distribution and eye for goal. Could be a key ingredient for us this year unlocking tricky defences. I'd disagree on him not being a great option off the bench though [his ability to pick out the right pass at the right time against a tired defence being run at is amazing coming on late in a game].

Wouldn't expect to see him starting in MacHale Park this week or Salthill if we're there in the Semi. Certainly not in place of Mattie. That said, could easily get a nice run off the bench and between the Connacht Final and Round Robin games if he stays fit could be a vital part of the team this year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Where is all the love for Darren McHale coming from. How many games has he played in the past 2 years. He played in the Connacht final 2 years ago, was replaced by Hession before half-time in the semi-final (which effectively won it for Mayo that day), and was dropped for the final if I recall correctly.

Has he done anything since, up until last week. He came on against Monaghan, and there were little groans around me in McHale Park. He got on a bit of ball anyway, but fluffed most of them e.g. into goalies hands.

Maybe I am missing something, but he seems to be someone where a reputation precedes them, but realistically they have not got anywhere near justifying that reputation. But hopefully he can get a decent run of appearances without injury and he may justify the reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

You over state the level of talent it takes to do the 'hard work' part of those roles. Don't get me wrong, you've got to be seriously fit and highly motivated to do it but much of that comes down how well the management team have set the team up and explained the roles well enough to the players involved. You underestimate the ball skills and decision-making which is what ultimately separate's the champions from the rest. Fionn is not Mayo inter-county standard when it comes to decision-making and ball-skills but Jordan and Jack Carney are. Wing forward is probably Mayo's weakest position. You have Bob Touhy as next in line, maybe Darren McHale if he stays fit long enough, and that's it really. Kevin Mc and Jason D are past it to play for any prolonged period in that role. Boland was unbelievably dropped from the panel and Oisin Mc pulled out I believe - so depth is lacking in that position.

I think he's a good option and an injury free run might see him make the 26 regularly.Hes lively and on a good day might be able to come on a get a few scores,I think he got one against Monaghan but he missed more than one.

I think the reason his named has popped up on the last few pages is one genius made the statement that he's the best Mayo forward in the last 3 years.

• Advertisement

He's been very good at club level for Knockmore although I'm obviously biased there - good in front of goal, fast hands and very secure in possession. Whether he can carry that through to county level remains to be seen

I think it's telling that McStay has brought him on anytime in both of the last two matches when he's been fit and I think if he could get a run of a couple of games without injury, he could make a difference for us - he offers a socring threat from HF that we didn't have the last few years (Flynn & Carney have improved on that front this year). It would be great if he could push McDonagh for that HF spot as I think we'll need more options there later in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

One thing's for sure about McHale. He's more likely to become a regular starter for Mayo than it is that we'll get his name right.

Darryl McHale

(I said that as someone who will probably continue to call him Darren)

Someone hasn't really done their homework. He only made his full Mayo debut in the championship in June 2021 - less than 2 years ago. He only played less than one half of football in the crunch matches that year - Dublin and Tyrone. And I don't recall seeing much of him in last years championship. I know he was probably injured, but being out on account of injury does not qualify a player to be the best Mayo forward over a period of time.

Anyway, sounds like he has good potential. Would be great if he can get going.

Darren is his correct name!! Dunno where they got Darryl from on Sunday 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

When I spotted it on TG4 I was thinking surely it's Darren... But then the Irish Times had it as Darryl as well and I just took it that we all had it wrong 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

A good option for the 26 for sure, the biggest worry from Sunday's win for me was that, bar Flynn and Carr getting those early points, none of our forwards scored from play, and if Towey, Orme, Irwin or Conor McStay weren't called into action in a game like this as out forwards were fading a bit, will they be viable options off the bench as the summer goes on?

I know CO'C is still to come back but it's starting to feel like we're missing a bit of firepower of the bench again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

It's Tom Lydon I think will be interesting to see how he gets on.

I said I think Darren McHale is good enough to start for Mayo and I stand by it. When I said he was the best forward in Mayo over the last three years I obviously meant in Mayo club football. You could make the case for ROD or Naughton but it's McHale for me.

It's no coincidence that Darren coming home from Oz coincided with Knockmores revival. He's been ridiculous for us, he only played two championship games last year but if he'd been there for the full season I think we'd have three in a row. The two games he played he scored 3-3.

He was player of the year in 2020 and outstanding again in 2021.

Anyone who thinks he doesn't have the talent either hasn't been watching enough or doesn't know what they're looking at. He rarely loses the ball, always seems to have time, wins breaks, tracks back, can pick out a pass that makes other forwards look good and scores heavily from half forward.

Yes he only made his championship debut in 2021 but he was abroad, but he scored 3-7 in less than three and half matches before getting injured. The Monaghan game was the first time he's been available since.

We don't have a player like McHale, I know he hasn't impressed yet this year but given a chance he will, no doubt, just needs to stay injury free.

Horan considered him a starter and McStay seems to rate him, so that lad calling me a genius might need to talk to them too.

But since it's coming from the man who considers Eoghan McLaughlin one of our top 10 players, I'm happy enough sticking with McHale

I really hope he proves you right Green&Red. Whatever it takes to get us over the line!!! He shows great enthusiasm anyway. He was in front of me when he took up position after coming on in the Monaghan match, and he was itching to get straight into the game. Full of enthusiasm. Was very hard on himself when he was making the few mistakes then. I nearly had to block the kids ears to drown out the cursing !!!!!!!🤐

• Advertisement

He's a prospect alright. Looked great when we got to see him last year and hadn't realised he was still underage until the other week when he was announced as VC.

Have been looking forward to seeing this group breaking through for a couple of years now. Think it was '21 when Darragh Beirne was winning an U18 medal coming off the bench for Claremorris in the county final... with Rio starting in the same final. Ridiculous talent thinking they're only hitting u17 now.

Was tracking along with the Meath Laois game this evening on Score Beo and another nice shock there. Laois securing their place in the Leinster Semi over Meath. 5 point win with a cracking (/lucky?) goal there right at the end to seal it.

Not quite as much excitement with Galway Leitrim tonight where Galway have already secured their place in the Connacht Final (Sean Birmingham having a solid game. A familiar name to anyone following some of the schools games in recent years).

Sligo and Roscommon going at it at 5pm tomorrow in a QF with the winner facing our lads on the 12th and the final scheduled for the 19th. Unusual that Galway could go 15 days without a game and facing a Mayo side playing back to back games or a Sligo/Roscommon side facing games 3 weeks on the trot. Think I'd probably pick our position out of the 3 available if given the choice. Shame both the 12th and 19th are clashing with the rolling 7 days on our senior games. Sam and Bob would be big losses, for both the 20s or the seniors. I had been expecting them to be released down earlier in the year but with their recent performances together with knocks to some of the squad lowering options I'd be very surprised now if they were.

Advertisement