Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This study notes that it typically takes a year from institution of proceedings to eviction for a non-paying tenant in Germany. Similar grumbles to Ireland.

"In Germany the process, from rent arrears to eviction, can take more than a year. New numbers show that the average duration from the first rent arrears until the eviction is 15.5 months"

Glad you asked.

https://www.feantsa.org/download/article-2-35694772372314374558.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

What happens the various apartment blocks in this scenario? Are you envisaging them being bulldozed or do they continue to provide accommodation as they have always done? Your question only makes sense if you think that the housing units will be destroyed. But that is not going to happen.

What would happen is that asset prices would drop to the level where the investment becomes attractive again. As in other countries, tenants continue to occupy the units at agreed rents while the transaction takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Bought by owner occupiers, disappear from the rental market. Similar to what is happening now, which is why it's near impossible to find a place to rent.

But on a bigger scale.

Prices might drop but that doesn't mean people will suddenly want to become landlords again given the country has made it only attractive for institutional investors.

We are making long term changes to the constitution of the rental market and that has big implications, as usual they haven't been thought through.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

“I know your job” 😂

Im discussing a topic and that’s it, if someone wants to promote SF that will start a discussion. That’s how boards works.

Getting upset because someone has questioned the ability of a party to deliver on promises is interesting.

RTB is totally useless, nothing to do with under resourced.

Getting rid of non paying tenants in ireland is almost impossible, banks have the same issue with no paying mortgage customers

The same is not in Europe when they can quickly get rid of them. Hence why ireland mortgage rates are on of the highest, if not the highest in Europe.

• Advertisement

The RTB's main job is to keep tenants in situe, they are not useless if you look at it from that perspective.

They are deliberately useless if you happen to be a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think one,of the several, elephants in the room is the exorbitant cost of housing. You can speak of a housing shortage but if you have access to enough money then you will have no problem getting a house. How have we allowed a situation arise in what is after all a thinly populated country where a modest enough house will cost €400,000+ ! We have overdèveloped the dublin metropolitan area, and all the strain on resources that brings, while leaving swathes of the country underdeveloped. As for 30 + planning authorities we have in this country, don't get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You do little except talk about Sein Fein, do you think people can't see what you are writing?

You aren't the first with that gimmick and won't be the last, but all these attempts to shift blame away from the parties that actually created this mess do nothing except ring hollow.

FFG are responsible for this, I'm not going to forget that fact just because you answer "What is one plus one?" with "Sein Fein".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I think most would agree here one of the things so that we need to do is build high, in the towns & city’s. That’s where we can provide the best transport links, services, jobs etc etc

Councils are dealing with x y & z developers & private land owners Back & forth, it’s time wasted & working against people.

Why don’t they build, they no what type of house or apartments their looking for to be built & have expertise or could hire the staff & train people up to really good standards needed to build it. + they have the money

Instead of people going to them or ABP with plans, they should be going to the landowners or developing state lands & tax breaks or tax penalties issued to landowners

It’s a bit of a paradigm shift I no but Open to correction on this or to elaborate on it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Oh please BA, we did this months ago. Crooked FF destroyed the economy and housing market in 2008 and are now trying to blame SF for their latest housing crisis.

This claim was fact checked by the Journal and found to be utterly misleading.

It's just another example on how pathetic and inept this government is - they know they have a housing crisis but their sole concern is not housing it's citizens, it's about minimising the vote loss. Hence they are blaming SF who have never been in power.

I know you never answer direct questions but why are we waiting decades for planning reform?

FactCheck: Has Sinn Féin objected to the construction of 6,000 houses? (thejournal.ie)

Verdict

The Taoiseach has claimed in the Dáil multiple times that Sinn Féin has objected to the construction of 6,000 new homes.

The party’s evidence about Sinn Féin’s objections to housing is therefore missing significant context, though it is occasionally both accurate and inaccurate.

As a result, we rate the Taoiseach’s claim: MISLEADING.

As per our verdict guide, this means the claim either intentionally or unintentionally misleads readers.

-----------------

I have never voted SF and probably never will - but the government continuously distracting the public with the SF bogeyman will make me ever more determined to discredit FFG for voters. We have been duped for way too many decades. I might even join Twitter!

FFG causing this housing disaster. Nobody else. And it will get worse and worse because of their inaction.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

FFG have promised planning reform for 2 decades. A costly tribunal said reform was long overdue. Why is it so slow? FFG don't do reform.

Meanwhile...

An Bord Pleanála admits 'significant' backlog of cases (irishexaminer.com)

An Bord Pleanála has admitted it is struggling to deal with a "significant" backlog of cases, with nearly two-thirds of recent applications failing to get a decision by the expected deadline.

Irish Planning Institute vice president Gavin Lawlor said the reason for the backlog is “obvious”. 

He criticised what he claims is a "lack of urgency" on the issue by Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien, which he said is compounding the problem.

Five temporary board members, each with a year’s contract, have been added to An Bord Pleanála since January. Those appointments were made several months after the resignation of chairman Dave Walsh in November. Mr Walsh stepped down following the leaking of a damning internal An Bord Pleanála report condemning much of the board’s governance and oversight.

Backlog of cases at An Bord Pleanála now stands at 2,300 – the number it normally gets through in a full year

----------------------------

Housing crisis: One year's supply stuck in An Bord Pleanála backlog | Newstalk

1 year's supply of housing is stuck in a planning backlog at An Bord Pleanála.

The analysis by Mitchell McDermott Construction Consultants finds that planners have yet to decide on 59% of the Strategic Housing Development (SHD) applications submitted last year.

That amounts to just under 29,000 homes – which is the number of homes the Government hopes will be delivered under its Housing for All plan this year.

---------------------

That's how serious the government is about fixing the housing disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Fela on Virgin Media Tonight makes no apology for including Gardai in the Famine image.

Fionan Sheehan got very animated about it. The Independent being the newspaper of the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He did not get animated about it. George Hook did that. FS just pointed out that this artist had history. He pointed out statements this so called artist made and that he made similar art about the PSNI who he has referred to as the RUC.

As George Hook says SF's mask is slipping. It interesting this has come shortly after where was it Paul Murphy or RBB hinted that the Gardai would carry out a coup to preya left wing government getting to power.

Slava Ukrainii

Seems like I touched a nerve.Goof to see them reduced but still doesn’t change the fact neither LL or banks can get rid of non paying tenants

Fact check, did SF reject housing? Yes

You tried to say SF are irrelevant when they are not as I pointed out because they are rejecting houses.

Carry on making excuses for SF, I couldn’t care less who you vote for and not sure why you think it’s anyway interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh yes total scumbag, smiling and laughing enjoying the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

No, because one of the regulations would be that selling a property would not be sufficient cause to evict a tenant. So when a block of flats is put on the market, any entity can bid on the tenanted building, and the tenant continues to pay rent at the agreed rate but to the new landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wanderingmind

Banks don't do themselves any favours either. We are dealing with a property in arrears years with an unsustainable mortgage and it's been offered back for years but the bank won't budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

here in Germany there's something called a schufa. It's a type of credit check. If you've been a non paying tenant, it's listed on the schufa. For every single property that's advertised, you have to provide a schufa. On the german equivalents of daft, you can apply for the schufa and you can attach it to your profile.

So the number of non paying tenants would be far lower here than in Ireland. You can view their entire rental history. There's also a deposit of three months rent. So losses due to damages would be less. It even has as a standard part of the contract that the apartment has to be repainted, generally in white, before moving out.

So landlords have very strong protections here.

However tenants also have strong protections. I can't be kicked out because he wants a family member to move in. He can't just up the rent. For a lot of tenancies, if the property is sold, the tenant goes with the apartment. The landlord buys it as a going concern. I'm far more protected here than I ever was in Ireland.

Germany is excellent model but try to

implement in ireland and all the bleeding hearts will be out telling you that it shouldn’t be done. We would have the same people here sharing the sob stories on rte telling us it’s terrible to stop non paying tenant and it’s the LL fault

Such is life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I doubt it. What most renters want is security. They just want to know that if they pay the rent they won't be homeless and the landlord won't hike the rent. My last landlord in Ireland wasn't registered with the RTB so there was nothing I could do when they bumped the rent by 40%. They said if I didn't agree then they'd sell. And they never performed basic repairs on the place.

All I ever wanted from renting was to know that i could keep paying rent and not be homeless and not worry about them gouging me for every penny they could get. But I lived in constant fear.

Now there's certain aspects of German rentals that are confusing. Most (about 80%) come without a kitchen. You either bring your own or you sell it onto the next tenant when you leave the apartment. And most come unfurnished. But there's a huge market in second hand furniture. At first I thought unfurnished was bad but I came to realise the most people build up bits and pieces overtime. Now i think I'd prefer to rent an unfurnished apt. Although a kitchen should be included.

They all object to housing for one reason or another. All of them. The planning laws need reform and ABP has a massive backlog. Only the government can fix that and they don't. It's a bit pathetic to make silly excuses for them.

You actually read the factcheck article? So your latest excuse and misinformation for the housing disaster is "SF aren't helping". They ALL aren't helping (Even Leo objects to housing) ...but here's some news - FF and FG are in government. They have the power to reform planning laws and speed up ABP decisions. Why are we waiting for so long??

More regulations to scare off investment, good luck with that.

All you have to do is ring the RTB. Also a quick google gives the following. The days of LL not been registered and taking cash etc to hide are long gone.

The RTB can take action against landlords who do not register tenancies. Read more on the RTB's website. Even if your landlord hasn't registered your tenancy, you can still use the RTB's dispute resolution service. Landlords can only use this service if they have registered the tenancy.

In reality I have yet to see any tenants push for proper controls over tenants. All they want to do is pushing controls on LL and then complain when they leave the market. Maybe you are different, it would suggest from post. But as we have seen over the last 10 years the majority of tenants want the control with them and thats that.

German rental is class, lived in Berlin for a while and have a friend still renting. They get long term rentals. Maybe Berlin a bit different but they had kitchens but minimal white goods. The second hand markets are class and big business. Sunday markets etc to pick up furniture

Fact is Sinn Fein are relevant after you claimed they are irrelevant, and as I said they are relevant because they are objecting housing. Now you can jump around for another posts trying to make other excuses for Sinn Fein but it won't change that fact.

If Sinn Fein want to become irrelevant as you suggest, then stop blocking houses/building and let planning take care of that.

I 100% expect that won't happen as it is bad business for Sinn Fein and any opposition party at the moment for the homelessness number to go down. The more on the street the better. Do you not agree?

I agree that you are a waffler and they have you fooled. They are irrelevant, their tweets are irrelevant. FFG need to build the houses and fix the housing disaster. It's that simple. The ABP backlog needs to be quickly fixed and objections from all politicians need to be swiftly death with. Swiftly. FFG have always loved bureaucracy and hated reform. They need to stop looking for scapegoats.

Irish renters wouldn't want to rent unfurnished and bring their own kitchen because most see it as a temporary step to buying a house or getting a social housing setup.

Maybe that would change with a more long term lease setup, but people tend to get what they want so I'd see the market setup here as a reflection of meeting demand. If you offered them a less secure rental that was in a more convenient location versus a more secure in a worse one, I think a large chunk of renters here would go for the former, maybe not a majority but I'd guess a large proportion. Rental market is going to be weighted toward younger people starting out who are quite flexible.

You can't have it all, for example if we insist on various inflexible arrangements that landlords don't like, you can't buy a place for your kids to use in college and rent it out otherwise, because we ditch the family rule, then it isn't that that unit stays as a rental and some renter gets it as a long term stable option. Rather, the landlord just won't buy it (or they will sell it when the rules change) and it will be bought by an owner occupier and the menu of options for renters in these locations is reduced. They can go to the big build to rent units out wherever they are and have a nice stable long term arrangement. That's a choice but regulations don't only improve things, they have implications on whats going to be provided too.

Resorted to comments about the poster. Quelle surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Needs to be a fast track eviction process for unruley tenants, or those who don’t pay their rent- none of this appeals process sho1te- if you’re behind in rent, you’ve got 3 months to leave- that’s it.

Advertisement