Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I know we are due another 1.5% in october this year, have negotiations started for the next deal yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

But they are trying really hard to fix it😂

I got this reply from the WRC. Non payment is seen as an illegal deduction by my reading of it.

Non-Payment of Wages

In accordance with the Payment of Wages Act 1991 non-payment of wages or any deficiency in the amount of wages properly payable by an employer to an employee on any occasion will be regarded as an unlawful deduction from wages unless the deficiency or non-payment is attributable to an error of computation.

In cases of improper deductions from wages or non-payment of wages, an employee may refer a complaint to an Adjudication Officer of the Workplace Relations Commission under the Payment Of Wages Act. The complaint must be made within a period of 6 months beginning on the date of the contravention to which the complaint relates. If the Adjudication Officer is satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances s/he may decide to extend the period for up to a further 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That’s interesting. I wonder how much momentum something like that would get considering apparently 99% of people have been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Iggy1986

HSE is a complete mess. Utterly disgraceful, these pay increases were meant to offset the cost of living increases. We’re still on 2nd February 2022 pay scales, now two pay scales behind our correct one of 1st March 2023. I’m leaving the HSE and would advise anyone I meet to not work for them, got a pathetic email during the week saying it’ll be paid in a few weeks but no specific date. Shambles

Wonder what the national press would do with the news. I might drop Healy ray an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I heard of a colleague who (having switched from ulster bank) provided them with his new sort code and account number.

He hasn't got paid in 3 weeks because they needed an IBAN.

A person needs to update their bank details by logging into their pay portal

It's important to update both pay and expenses tab. It's the only way to change pay details

To be fair to this individual, their IT skills would not be the best, and they are close to retirement. They come from a time where you filled in a form and someone in HR or local payroll did the data entry. Many people never have cause to long into pay portal, and the latest version is even more confusing to navigate unless you visit frequently.

It is unfair to assume everyone has the same IT skills as someone who never knew life without a home computer.

That may be the case but it's also the case that the portal is the only way of doing it. Instructions are also available on the portal.

• Advertisement

No, it's fact. If the person wants the bank details changed, they need to do it online. Just like if they want to see a payslip. No account is taken for 100 year old retirees (there are some )or people who just don't want to do it and are quiet capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh im really not buying that. There is plenty of help. Colleagues will also help. I know the type of person you are talking about and id bet their lack of "ict skills" isnt their only deficit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭kippy

"Computers" and "Technology" are around for the guts of two decades in most areas (more in certain areas) and are a key tool used in most workplaces since then. Indeed they are a key tool in general life nowadays.

While I can appreciate that someone who has never had to work using technology and who is going up in years, may not be technologicly literate, you couldn't use the same rationale for someone who has been in a workplace for the past two decades doesn't know how to log into a portal to update bank information.

(I never knew life with a home computer BTW, same for many of my peers and indeed those a lot older than us - but we try not use it as an excuse)

I am not familiar with every pay portal out there, but they really aren't that hard to navigate generally.

I currently work with plenty people of similar age to me who have worked in the same organisation for twenty years and constantly say "I am not the best with these new computers - you know me etc" - 20 years plus working with them and never having decided to improve their lot - it's not like training isn't available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

My Dad canbt even use a smart phone. I dont think he has ever sent a text message in his life.

I know lots of older people who get flustered at the thought of having to do anything on the internet. Then scared out of their wits that anything asking them to put in personal details could be some sort of scam.

I know lots of older people now who dont travel out of the country unless they have a relative or someone who can book tickets for them. One old lady even gets the train into Dublin coty center to get one of the few remnaining travel agents to help her when she needs to book a ticket to the UK to visit her sister.

It can be overwhelming for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

What age would they be like? Have they just shunned technology for a full 30 years? Anyone still workin in an office environment claiming they cant log on to an online pay portal is lying.

Thats ok if they've never been in a workplace for the past 25 years that has technology as the key tool in use.

There are people in their 40's, 50s and 60's who have worked using technology as a tool for decades at this point yet look for sympathy or to blame someone else when they need to do something with technology.

Looking at wider life, occupations whereby technology wasn't a traditional tool, have been drasticilly changed with technology use also - farming being a key one that comes to mind - everything is online nowadays.

While I appreciate there are lots of people who aren't "good" with technology there are an awful lot of people who only have themselves to blame at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Age in their 70's. Not everyone works or worked in an office.

I dont think its a stetch to say that some people need help with technology, especially if they are older.

Some of these people would run rings around the rest of us if it came to fixing leaking taps or changing radiators or chaning a baring on a car wheel, making a dress etc.

Not everyone has every skill. I think its nice to want to help people out when you can do something they cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Augme

Tbf the original conversation was in relation to a current civil servant. Someone who is in their 70s and needs help with technology absolutely understandable.

A current civil servant assuming they should never have to use technology if they don't want to is a huge difference though. There are plenty of civil servants who use the "not good with technology" line to avoid doing work as much as possible.

That's fair enough but I thought we were talking about a not yet retired office worker? Basic computer literacy is not a skill that any current office worker should not possess, I'd barely classify it as a skill - logging on to a portal with a username and password and inputting your IBAN, I mean jaysis.

Some of you people lack empathy and need to get a grip on reality.

Not all our co-workers are tech savvy.

This individual, though I would rather not go into too much detail, has an acquired brain injury that permits him to carry out basic office administrative tasks, with basic IT skills.

He is 63.

His managers are aware of his limitations.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Does he have any helpful colleagues?

He has a building full of them usually, unfortunately when we are all remote working...

How is logging into a portal tech savvy? Fair enough anyway in that individuals case.

Then Im sure his managers or you could assist him.

Wouldn't want to be relying on the **** in this thread anyway..

Eh you came out in your last post and said the fella has brain damage, think everyone on this thread would happily help him. You appear to be the only **** on here.

With respect Dohvolle, your original post on this insinuated the issue with the person was their age/not coming from an age of computers on the home, then it's an acquired brain injury that's the issue, now it's remote work(I gotta be honest, a person with the myriad of issues you describe would do well to work remotely in the first instance.

You look to making excuses as you go along for this 'person'.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

And back to public sector pay...

If inflation follows the latest projections and drops over the rest of the year, I think another 2 / 3 % increase in 2024 would be great.

You know. **** off.

When you are finished doing that **** off again.

Its not my place to discuss someones medical history on a public forum so you can shove your opinion where the sun dont shine.

Some people here know where I work based on what I post. It wouldn't take much snooping to know from that who I am talking about, and that's just not on.

With no respect whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Advertisement