Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beo Ar Éigean

• 01-04-2023 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭

Beo Ar Éigean - Does anyone out there actually listen to this? What sort of statistics do RTE have, that keep this 'thing' on the air for what must be well over a year now, two years?

I like listening to a bit of Irish, would pick up more than I can speak but I find this programme insufferable. The Titeratti I call them, if I wanted to listen to a few women gossiping and tittering, giggling every few seconds, I could go down to the coffee shop in town most days. Invariably after a few minutes, you'd be driven to the off switch. Is it supposed to present Irish in a fun, natural way or something? If so, it fails miserably as it's so one dimensional in style. Giggles and titters all the way ever week. It could actually be used as a form of torture as a means of interrogating suspects for information.

Maybe someone out there actually likes this???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Back in July 2022 it was reported as being up in the JNLR. I never listened to it myself. If you really need to know how many listeners they have, you will probably have to pay for the JNLR full publications.The best we are likely to see in the papers is a list of the top 20 most listened to, and Beo is not likely to make that list.

"RTÉ said that Radio 1 (1.39m) had lost 6,000 listeners during the survey period, while 2FM (702,000) had gained 4,000. The company talked up gains for shows such as Countrywide, Playback, The Business, Beo ar Éigean, Céilí House and Sunday Miscellany."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's a mystery to me. The language matters not. No harm in having a bit of a joke in the banter and some wit but it's so easily overdone. Whence it's just comes across as contrived trash radio. Is it immune to being given the boot?

You are possibly the first poster to complain that you are forced to listen to one of the minority programmes. There are plenty who are forced to listen to Liveline and other big hitters. They vent their spleen every day about the rubbish quality of what they are forced to listen to. Join the club.

Oh no concerns here, I just turn it off. I just wonder if others can tolerate it and if not, why does it get a free pass? RTE staffers on it, being as Gaeilge?

What would you like to see replace it?

• Advertisement

Me personally? A programme in Irish dealing with topical stories from around the country - current affairsy but also with a light touch, community projects and the like. Delivered by presenters who interview and present in a normal way - not giggling and tittering at themselves every minute. But YMMV.

Another similar effort aimed to be avoided.

The host of its brand-new dating show ‘Grá ar an Trá’has finally been revealed.

Virgin Media Television have announceed social media influencer James Kavanagh as one of the hosts of its brand-new dating show ‘Grá ar an Trá’.

This series will follow twelve singletons in a quest to find love and learn the Irish language, with the ultimate aim of being crowned the ‘Couple with the most Focail’ and walking away with a grand prize to the value of €10,000.

Influencer and TV Presenter James Kavanagh will bring his own brand of charm and charisma to the series, and while he is not a Gaeilgeoir (fluent) himself, James’ enthusiasm to embrace the Irish language makes him the perfect Man an Tí.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Thank you for your service.

Sounds cringey, I wonder are they milking a bit of funding for this effort.

There are a few minutes about it on the 11 minute 38 clip from Today FM. You have a strong constitution, having inflicted the Titterati on yourself. You might even like James, the Man an Tí.

https://www.todayfm.com/shows/weekend-breakfast-alison-curtis-234829

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Splanc on Newstalk is a much better show as Gaeilge, it's on Fridays (and on podcast). Decent range of topics and some banter, but not the annoying giggles of Beo ar Éigean

This was in 2018, ten to fifteen thousand listening to Splanc. Not many listen to radio in the evenings. John Creedon and Off the Ball are both around the 50,000 mark. I'd say the Beo spot is a bit of a graveyard as well, unless there was some sports programme.

"One interesting thing about the programme is that there are very few Irish language programmes where you have the JNLR listenership figures and we have between ten and fifteen thousand people listening to the programme every week... which is no small amount."

Advertisement