Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Buy Now or Wait another 2 years

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Management fees includes insurance and maintenance of the building exterior plus a % for a sinking fund for major costs. Individual house owners need to pay building insursnce and regular repairs & maintenance like painting, gutter/ window cleaning, boiler service etc. so it probably balances out over a few years.

Of course there are some lucky owners who can diy everything and never have to pay a tradesman 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if you cant afford a house now i doubt if you can afford it in 2 years time, buy an apartment or buy a house maybe a joint purchase with a friend, go to daft.ie search houses 300k,

2 bed houses in old working class areas coolock, finglas are cheaper than say a house in beaumont .

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-80-macroom-road-coolock-coolock-dublin-5/4680266

• Registered Users Posts: 34,889 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There are reasons houses like that in those areas are so much cheaper though.

I suppose one point the OP hasn't really touched on, where are they looking to buy?

They said if they waited another couple of years they could do 380-400k. Where would they be in 1 year I wonder?

If it were me I'd be hanging on to get a house if I was still living at home with the folks.

I always found apartments to feel like stop gaps, bought and lived in one myself for about 6-7 years but always thought of it as a stepping stoned to get to my current house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You'd want to be mad to move to Finglas right now the place is a kip ,

Now if your from there its different as you've grown up there, you know the people & the area but as an outsider no chance, you don't want to be raising your kids there ,

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Depends really on location of “apartment now” and “house in future”.

• Advertisement

my friend lived in coolock for 10 years ,,he never had any problems there at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Did OP say what part of the country they are looking to buy?

He says he,s looking to buy house 380k _400k approx

that would indicate he,s likely buying in a city probably in a middle class area, since right now you could buy a 3 bed house in a rural town for 200 to 250 k easily right now

There's a one bed house in Dublin 7 going for 200k right now

I'm not sure why he is waiting for 2 years from now does that make sense since house prices could rise by 20 to 30 k in 2 years

I'm presuming he's looking to buy in Dublin or another city

He should go to daft.ie look at houses 200 to 300k in the county he wishes to live in I can't really see the point of waiting for 2 years if for instance he could get a 300 or 340k mortgage right now

It would help to say my income is X amount per annum

I have saved up say 50k

To get more detailed advice here

Since banks lend 3 to 3.5 times your income approx

How much could he save in 2years 20k

40k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is there any duplex you could afford? I started off with one of those and was a decent compromise with own small garden etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Buy if you can and are comfortable with the repayments. If things did start to go south you are still looking at a max of 10% fall in prices and even then I don't see that in 2 years time. It's going to go fairly stagnant for now prices but will remain high. If its somewhere you plan on living in for the next 20 years you won't care how much prices fall or go up.

I dropped out of buying a house just before Covid 240k, needed a lot of work but amazing location. I thought at the time no way prices will drop like a stone with worldwide recessions, how wrong was I. It resold for 400k at the start of the year

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

People have been murdered in Foxrock. Different people have different experiences in different locations.

Yes, a lot of folks living in harder, working class areas like that will be fine. Others might not. Some people might not like having to walk past gangs of dodgy teenagers on the way home, some folks might be okay with it. Some folks might not like hearing joyriders flying passed their house, other folks might like to sleep to it.

You are right though re the OP, we really do have nothing to go on. Don't even know where they'd ideally like to buy.

Can't really form any kind of suggestions without that information.

My friends lived in coolock about 5 minutes from the shopping centre , i went there every 2 weeks, for 7 years i can,t remember seeing any gangs of teens hanging around, i would be happy to buy a 3 bed house there if it was a reasonable price ,

I never remember being worried about walking round there even after 11pm ,the problem is some people thing every working class area is like an episode of love/hate or the wire ,So the,ll pay 300k for a small 1 bed apartment rather than buy a 2bed house in a working class area .before buying a house my advice is go there at friday 10pm, saturday 11pm, drive around the area just to see whats it like .

i do,nt remember seeing even one joyrider in that area over a period of 7 years

Master of the Universe

You can get a 2 bedroom house in D7 for 350-400k. I'd put that down as a nice happy medium between your 300K 1 bed southside apartments and Love/Hate land 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Living remote in the countryside is the only way to avoid all of this.

Master of the Universe

Living remote in the countryside also brings up it's own problems too though.

No public transport, far away from medical facilities, far away from entertainment venues, far away from friends/family. Couldn't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Exactly! Long commute, driving to the nearest shop, and everything you said.

the conversation is going in circles without more input from the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Ah right ok sure they’re all grand those areas, listen I’m from an area that would be looked on as a bit rough I suppose another city not Dublin, when I was growing up there I didn’t really know any different, I thought it was normal for gangs of lads to chase you and if they caught you beat the hell out of you, I literally thought this happened to everyone, well it happened to everyone I knew.

It was only when I went to college (and getting there was a struggle) and got a different perspective from people from different parts of the country that I realised how truly bad it was, and believe me where I was from would have nothing on Coolock I’m very familiar with it.

I won’t defend these areas and say they’re fine I never saw any trouble, they’re not fine and would be the last places in Ireland I’d bring up kids, sure you may not see any trouble, but if you have kids they’re they’re the ones who’ll see it, they’re the ones who’ll be targeted by gangs of little scumbags. And not even that if they’re surrounded by people with no ambition it rubs off.

having lived in really nice areas I can safely say I’d rather commute than live in an area like that or take the chance on bringing up kids there, having grown up in it myself no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

In OP's scenario I'd look at moving out, buy a small house that needs a lot of work now but that is marginally liveable in, big relative discount on these due to the cost of labor and materials at the moment. Take a punt that cost of work will probably come down in real terms in the not too distant future and get the work done bit by bit. There is always the safety net of moving home for a bit if needed.

I'd compromise on the condition of the place rather than the location.

theres a reason most people want to live in citys, living in rural area,s usually means long commutes to work, i live in dublin ,i use the bus or i cycle .keeping a car on the road is not cheap, insurance ,cost of petrol maintenance. i don,t understand the logic of saying ,ill wait for 2 years and then ,ill buy a house unless he can maybe save 70k in 2 years . its a lot more complex than working class area, = love hate , crime,chaos versus middle class area equals heaven peace and tranqullity. my friend lives in a house in finglas, 99 per cent of houses on the estate are owned by the tenants bought from the council.i,d be happy to buy a 3 bed house there even if it was the same price as a 1 bed apartment in the city centre , eg its a council estate

she,s lived there for 20 years and never had any hassle or anti social behavior.

i think you should buy in a place no more than 35 minutes commute from your job

Post edited by riclad on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This bit, +100. Buying a long commute is madness.

i think you should buy in a place no more than 35 minutes commute from your job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Definitely move out if you can... min 2 bed apt though, to maximise the chance of selling it on later.

The greatest thing I ever did was move out. Design the apartment as you see fit. Put your stuff wherever you like, stay up dancing around the place nekkid all night if you want ;)

I was in a similar situation fighting with siblings too. Sometimes it's hard being under one roof.

Ironically once I moved out, the family got closer as we had the space to live independently, so I get on well with the siblings now (though at Christmas we can last around 3 days before the fights start again, so it's always nice to have my own home to return back to)

You have yet to meet a partner and have kids, so the first step would be to meet the partner, and then if you have a kid you will always have the 2 bedrooms.

If the family gets larger that's a lot farther down the line and perhaps you could sell the apartment and move to a larger house in the commuter belt.

Master of the Universe

Anecdotal evidence from one or two people means nothing really. You've a higher probability of having a more peaceful life in a better area. It's just how it works. That's why people want to live in better areas.

If you are having children, they'll have a higher probability of making better friends, having higher aspirations in life etc.

Do note though, that's not me saying 'all people from X are terrible, all people from X are great' - I'm just talking about the probability of how things will turn out.

There's a reason 'location location location' is a saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Its amazing how that just goes over so many peoples heads and they take a fit at anyone pointing it out.

I know plenty of good people in coolock a working class area Their kids study and go to school and go to university third level education many of our best writers artists actors were brought up in working class areas .one example my friend lives in ballymun her daughter works in the mater hospital as a nurse she bought the house from the council it takes years of education to become a nurse it's simple snobbery to say anyone in working class areas has no motivation or ambition or interest in education most people are influenced by Their parents and how they are brought up

Yes it's true there's some young people a minority

who cause trouble antisocial behaviour and sell drugs and engage in criminal behaviour Many people in Ireland buy cocaine e or other drugs alot of these people live in posh middle class areas it's up to each person with money to buy in the area they choose these involves a no of factors

I understand some people will pay 300k for a small one bed apartment just because it's located in a middle class area

Real life is more complex than the sentence buy in love hate land or buy in a middle class area

Advertisement