Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

IS10101 requires that an EVSE is connected directly to the consumer unit as a first port of call.

If, all other options have been considered and as a last resort it can be connected to the meter cabinet but the RECI has to have a valid reasons why he/she done it and not just on a whim or to make it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 el capitan

Thanks for the feedback. My meter is at the other side of the house with no way of routing cables through the house, the only option I can think of is having a cable run on the external of the house for 15 to 20m which visually wouldn't be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭society4

I’m waiting for esb to connect new tails and thought it might be safer to use eco until it’s done….since the I’ve used the fast setting and seems fine.

You could put it in normal mode and reduce the Amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭society4

I thought there were only 3 modes - eco, eco plus and fast…I don’t have normal mode I don’t think…

• Advertisement

Can you control the amps on the car app like Tesla? And others I assume?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’d imagine you can limit the amps in the Zappi device settings

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Yes, you can. Has to be done directly on the zappi and unfortunately not via the myenergi app.

We had the same issue. What was done with ours - the zappi was connected from the metre box via a "mini fuse board" which cost a little extra to get installed as it was non-standard.

We are having some issues with the zappi pulling a full load despite selecting eco plus mode only - but that will be rectified with a correct CT clamp placement - something with the zappi installer didn't do first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

deravarra, Iv'e a similar problem. My electrician installed the Zappi and we fitted one CT sensor. Recently I've had installed PV panels. I wasn't present when the the electrician of the company installing came. He told my wife that the set up would allow us to use the PV production to feed the car. But he didn't fit a second CT sensor. I presume he should have done this on the cable coming from the PV panels? We'll often have one EV parked and would use the car as the storage.

• Advertisement

Just wondering am I reading the situation correctly?

I got on to myenergi, to get their support - and afaic, they were absolutely useless. They would ask a question, and once i'd answer, no reply from them for about a week - only to ask if my issue was resolved.

Thankfully, I knew one of the folks involved in dealing with myenergi products and he knew the solution immediately. He will come to resolve - at my expense - but it will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

The PV clamp would need to be on the AC cable coming from the inverter, either at the inverter or the fuseboard end.

On teslas you can control the amps in the car app remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

You only need the one ct for the zappi to work. Once it sees you are exporting it will send it to the car instead. You only need the extra ct on the PV if you want to be able to see all your data for PV generation, house consumption etc in the myenergi app

You sure ? ECO+ is totally reliant on seeing your defined portion of PV green energy. Don't think ECO has the same restriction - but then it won't stop charging. You'd need to do it manually, and may only pull a constant 1.4kW.

FAST mode could be used, especially if you set a low Device Limit.

Thanks for the replies. I just want to have the option of drawing what the PV panels are producing only. Can't do that at the moment because the Zappi isn't told via a CT sensor what the PV panels are producing. If the literature enclosed and online was any good, such information would be to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He is right. If you don't have a battery system you only need one CT sensor. That one sensor goes on the main tails and from that sensor the Zappi can tell if you are importing or exporting... and that covers your point... "defined portion of PV green energy"

i.e. if its exporting then that is PV green energy that can be diverted to the car! ;)

You can add a second sensor for two reasons... to create priority between a battery taking the excess instead of the Zappi and also to simply see your total generation in the myEnergi graphs (i.e. just useful extra info).

But one sensor works fine but it needs to have the right settings in the Zappi and be installed with the correct orientation on the correct main cable. Sometimes installers put the sensor on backwards or dont configure it in the settings of the Zappi.

Thanks for the replies. I just want to have the option of drawing what the PV panels are producing only. Can't do that at the moment because the Zappi isn't told via a CT sensor what the PV panels are producing.

As above, you dont need a second sensor and your installer was correct in what he told your wife. What exactly is your issue with it? Have you changed the mode from "Fast" to "Eco+"?

Can you see the arrows on the screen showing power being exported when the panels are over producing?

Have you spoken to your electrician to discuss it as ultimately its his job to explain it to you and ensure the Zappi is configured right.... but one sensor is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

we had an existing 4kw Solar PV system with Eddi, Harvi and Hub. We got the zappi installed from the meter as the fuseboard was at the rear of our (mid terrace) house so would have been very disruptive to go from there.

Initially we couldnt get ECO+ to work - initially the installer thought it might have required another CT Clamp, but on closer inspection installed another harvi given the zappi was taken from the meter - didnt charge extra as i had clarified at quote stage that it included solar integration. Works perfectly now although still figuring it all out.

Post edited by budhabob on

One CT clamp on the grid feed is all that's required as others have said but you will miss an icon on your myenergi app that displays what PV is being generated (but you likely have this via Inverter/solarman app). I prefer seeing everything so I have PV clamped also as I like the visuals from the myenergi app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is this in response to me? I see everything in the myenergi app.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Trying to charge my car just off Solar using my Zappi. My understanding is that if it’s in Eco+ mode it will charge from solar once threshold of 1.4 kWh excess is reached. If the threshold isn’t reached, it just says waiting for surplus.

however, in my case, once threshold is reached, power is pulled from battery (charged overnight) and grid as well as solar. Have set the export Margin to 50W to see if makes a difference but it doesn’t. This was the situation this am. Any thoughts? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Keep increasing until it’s only pulling from the array. I think I had to set my export margin to 150W.

In ECO+ there's a slide you need to push the whole way to 100% else it will work as you described, it's on the App

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Both of these!

Eco+, leaf set to 100%, marginal export set to whatever it takes (mine at 150w). Be patient when testing out the marginal export setting.

Many thanks. Will having the ‘leaf’ function at 100% and export margin at 150W affect the 2-4am charging from grid? It’s usually first thing in the am that the car drains the battery. Thank you.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No. Scheduled charging from the zappi takes full power.

To be 100% sure too, charge the battery at the same time with Zero watts. It won't charge the battery but won't discharge it either

Thank you. Going to give it a try later and see what happens

• Advertisement

Ok. Have set export to 150w and still pulling from battery and grid. Don’t mind it pulling from battery as can top it up from Solar before dark - but from the grid is v annoying!

I thought the advantage of the Zappi is to be able to charge from excess solar when house has been powered.

Advertisement