Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Virgin Media to a house that already has Sky

Options
  • 04-04-2023 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭

Its looking like I'm going to have to move back with the family for a while they already have sky tv / broadband. I am currently with Virgin Media I think I'm on a 500mb connect I cant fully remember and cant access my account at the minute. They have there router installed in the sitting room next to the tv there is a point that used to be used in another room the other side of the house that Virgin media was connected to before they switched. Would I be able to request a move on my account and use it plugged into that point so that would mean there would be two connections in the house Sky and Virgin is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Yes, nothing stopping you from having both; subject to availability of course. Virgin have their own cable system whereas Sky would use either the phone line or a fibre connection to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why though? Either use the already installed Sky or switch the whole place to Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm under contract with Virgin so I imagine I would have to pay a fee to cancel one way or another? To be honest if its possible to use the two connections it might not be a bad idea. The house has issues with signal in certain areas so having two separate routers with separate connections would hopefully fix this. There's three already living there one of them works from home. There would be another four including myself moving in until I find somewhere else to live. I don't want me ma and da to have to change there setup they have had enough hassle with it as it is. If I'm contracted to Virgin and can just plug the equipment into the other room ill pay for it anyway and hopefully there should be no issues with the signal going for anyone then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Forgot about being stuck in contact.

A mesh system would sort out the coverage issues and if you are living there it should be relatively easy convert the house over.

At the moment I have the Virgin hub and my own router. The Wi-Fi signal is off on the virgin box and I use my own router to extend the signal around the house. So basically all I'm wondering is can I request to move my account and equipment from where I am now to my family's place and have both setup without causing issues and pay as normal?

• Advertisement

The cancellation fee with Virgin is the remaining months of the contract up to a maximum of €150 per product as per https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/faqs-and-videos/billing/fees-explained/cancellation-fee/

Thanks! Ill have to get onto them and talk to them about it. If the option is there to keep my internet and have what my family has as well and run both along side each other I might just go with this. At least then ill have the account going for when I can hopefully find somewhere else to move to!

I'm just wondering is it possible to do it I haven't been able to find anywhere that confirms it because the phone line thing confuses me.

Virgin don't use the phone line, they have their own cable network. As they're completely separate systems they can coexist. I've supported many business users with Virgin as a primary connection and Eir/Vodafone DSL as a backup.

Thanks for the info!!

So it would just be a case of installing it exactly how its currently installed just at a different address? And it wont interfere with Sky's connection then. Ill have to mention it to Virgin and give them notice of moving the connection.

Exactly, tell them you're moving and they'll organise an installation at the new address. They shouldn't touch the Sky connection at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement