Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good state job and a big pension

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ok, so if a Guard in the SPSPS retires after full service, 30 years, at age 55, the PS pension element is paid to them at age 55, but there is no supp pension, and they must wait until 66/67 for the SPC.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

Like everyone else they can claim the PS pension element and still work in private sector( many pre 95 who retired are doing this and collecting a full PS pension) or can also claim the relevant social welfare benefit (JB, illness benefit etc) like everyone else if entitled. But If they voluntary retire at 55(rather then 60) I'd have little pitty.They'd have there lump sum too so won't go hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Incorrect. Please can we stop with the lies?

Pre 95 are not entitled to any of that. They don't qualify for ANY social welfare outside of public health treatment. They paid a reduced PRSI to reflect this fact.

Christ, if you have a grudge about the pension, fine but when you have to lie to justify that grudge, it's not justified

The response was in relation to post 2012-SPSPS starts who'd get no supplentary pension pre 66 yr of age.

And Pre 95 could recieve a state pension too in addition to full PS pension if they worked pre or post Public service or partime/selfemployeed(farming etc) in Private sector while in Public sector , 10 years required for entitlement, and regardless if Pre 95 die there spouse would be entitled to both state widows pension and part of their work pension.

Sorry for the missunderstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I earn in that ball park and I can tell you categorically that my pension deductions are 11.38% (post 95, pre 2012 employee) If I wasn't paying Union Membership and an Income Continuance plan then yes it would be over 12% so no one is making up numbers only your good self.

• Advertisement

How do union membership and income continuance decrease public sector pension contributions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

I hope you're not including Spouse and Child in that because that is a seperate benefit. More double speak from you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

It's a mandatory deduction that I for one will never see a benefit from, I am not married and am well past breeding age!

Glad you highlighted it though, as it is a shocking compulsary deduction that not all will ever be able to benefit from

Great. I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you and bust yet more lies often going unchallenged. You're not paying 12% for your pension. There's nothing to say you won't get married in the future and if you do, then your spouse is also covered by the separate benefit.

Why is it that civil and public employees have such a poor grasp of arithmetic? Letting on they pay more than they actually do. Do they not have aptitude tests or anything before joining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Look at the terms of your pension scheme. Most state "full refund of periodic contributions to members who remain unmarried throughout their contributing membership" at retirement and this usually includes interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

Those are the terms of the original scheme - it's been gone since the 80s in most places.

The subsequent versions (and the Single Scheme) cover post-retirement marriages / children and don't give that refund.

Where my post gone? I showed the numbers. It was a nice detailed post.

It's 11% based on the numbers that @salonfire posted. But sure why you argue against your own numbers.

Let's see the calculation behind your claim that new entrants are paying 12% there detective Sherlock.

I haven't once made that claim. I'm baffled why you keep resorting to 12% when addressing me. I said "in the region of" based on rough maths.

1.5% gross

3.5% gross

10% after 29k (in addition to the direct payments above)

10.5% after 60k (in addition)

My number of 70k per year leaves 11% payments overall. That's within "the region of 12%".

Now perhaps, as per the previous warning, you could try being civil?

This you?

There's no threshold, you pay 12% (new entrants) of your gross pay into your pension

You realise that the number goes up the more you earn right? I mean, you keep just ignoring the parts you can't argue and try a new angle. Just give up already

Oh, OK so another lie busted then so. New entrants pay nowhere near 12% for their pension.

It's a good thing I'm here and willing to counter the misinformation peddled by the govt employees and their group think. Going around threads like these and thanking each others posts, posts of barefaced lies.

Post edited by salonfire on

1.5% of 100000 is 1500

3.5% of 100000 is 3500

10% between 29 and 60000 is 3100

10.5% after 60000 is 4200

12300 from 100000 = 12.3% of gross income payable on pension charges.

But hey, if you consider 11% to be "nowhere near 12" then I guess that .3% is a lot more than 12%.

Or again, you could just accept that the numbers do add up overall compared to your non existent numbers that you have said you would produce proving new entrants don't pay anywhere near 12% but haven't. You wont though because for some reason you still hold onto this barely concealed hatred.

Post 2013 Garda on €50000.

3.3% of gross (50000) = 1650

4.2% of net pensionable [gross - 2xOAP] (36205) = 1520

3.33% ASC above 34500 (15500) = 516

Total = 3686 or 7.3% of gross.

I like the way you went from new entrant - therefore new contributions rates - in one of your earlier posts to €100,000 now using old contribution rates to try make the numbers fit. How very devious of you.

I'll ask again. This you?

There's no threshold, you pay 12% (new entrants) of your gross pay into your pension

Post edited by salonfire on

Why only 50k? Why not 100k?

Isn't 7.3% more then you claimed? Isn't it?

Why only 3.33% ASC? To suit your agenda. Include 3.5% for the 2013 chaps. They do have you work overtime and now have a possible 10 years service.

100k gross 3.3% = 3300

98k net 4.2% = 4116

3.33% ASC above 34500 to 60000 = 849

3.6 ASC on remainder = 1440

Total payments 9705 from 10000 = 9.7%

So your numbers are again, inflated the higher the income. Not 12% yet but could be. Afterall, eventually those new gardai will get promoted. The Garda commissioner is a new entrant and earns over 200k afterall.

And i shall address your questions when you address the multiple ones you have ignored and stop with the insults.

• Advertisement

Err, thanks for going to all that effort to back up the point I made earlier! You shouldn't have !

When I said in this comment, https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120413153/#Comment_120413153

There's no way you are paying 12% of your gross on your pension unless you are on a massive salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Any reason why it wouldn't make state sector jobs redundant? With an AI bot it might actually be possible to contact "someone" outside of 10:30-12 and 2-3:30.

You are confused or deliberately being evasive. My last post was again using your numbers for those after 2013.

I am not that group. I am absolutely paying 11% pension payments and could easily end up paying more. i showed you exactly how by using your own numbers AGAIN.

U argue against my pension by using numbers for pension schemes I am not on. Make up your mind because I have now shown both figures. I don't intend to dissect all 4 pension schemes currently in AGS

I waited to see if any of your esteemed government colleagues - those who accuse me of lying and trolling - would correct you. Alas, not. Quick to peddle misinformation ... not so quick when it comes to the facts and the finer details it seems.

This part of your calculation is not correct.

98k net 4.2% = 4116

For post-95 garda, the rates are here: https://www.gra.ie/documents/GRA-Pensions-Booklet-Jul17-red.pdf

Deductions from pay are at the rate of: -

➢ 1.5% of pensionable pay +

➢ 3.5% of pensionable pay, reduced by twice the rate of Social Welfare Old Age Pension.

2xOAP is 27,591.20, then 3.5% of the net is €2,534. Not 4116 as you claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brianer81

Currently on the post 2004 public service pension scheme. Can retire at 50 with pension and gratuity ( df). I am looking at joining another job in the public sector (IPS). The whole pension and gratuity thing is a minefield for me to be honest.

Any advice appreciated. While I know I can carry my service of 17 years , I do not have much of an idea how much a pension from either job would be worth on retirement.

Advertisement