Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blueshoe22

Overall not great. Found a house we loved, have been working with the agent for a few weeks now. We were the only people biding and are now at asking price. We were previously told once we get to asking it is ours. Rang the agent today to be told a cash buyer is coming for a second viewing tomorrow so they will not be doing anything until they confirm if they want to purchase or not. Very frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You do understand the agent is playing you up? Stay put on what you offered.

Is it in Dublin?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Id tell the agent your offer expires at 5pm tomorrow and you'll be moving on. See how quickly the cash buyer disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 2 malore1000

Same thing happening to me right now. Was told by estate agent that if went to asking it would be ours. Now your man "wants time to consider". Question - can an estate agent tell a seller how much available funds buyer has...presume if so Ill get the "we've considered where things are in the market and a higher bid is warranted etc etc" next week...try to squeeze more out of me. Im bidding on another property, have a feeling Im very near final, and the above has me thinking to avoid the above property taking the proverbial. Told estate agent I want a response Monday morn or I move on

Well done, you done the right thing by telling agent your offer stands until whatever day then you are off. Remember the vendor also badly wants the sale, he doesn't want to see a solid buyer walking in the sun.

Yes I don't agree with an agent knowing full amount of money you have available as it doesn't mean you want to spend it all.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

Hi all,

This is the sale timeline for an apartment I owned. It might be useful for anyone that is thinking about selling at the moment.

End of September 2022

Reached out to estate agent to discuss possibly selling my 'buy to regret' apartment.

October 22

Decided to sell, gave tenant notice. Ad published to daft, viewings start. Engage solicitor. Several viewings over the course of the month. I start asking around to help tenant find a new place. 

November 22

Two bidders emerge, go sale agreed 17% above asking in the middle of November.

December 22

Solicitor informs me I need to get a land registry compliant map, wish he has told me this at the start.

Couldn't get this done before Christmas. Hear through a contact of mine that an apartment is coming up for rent.

I put tenant forward for it be unfortunately she doesn't get the apartment.

January 23

Registry compliant map is completed, cost €600. Sent to solicitor. 

Buyer looking for contracts. My solicitor doesn't want to send contacts because tenant is still in situ.

Ask solicitor to send contracts and hope that tenant finds a new place before contracts are returned.

Tenant finds new place end of January.

February 23

Tenant moves out start of February, deposit returned.

Management company requests €500 to complete MUD replies, sale can't complete without this and 

buyer's solicitor won't proceed without it. Management company very slow sending this which delays things.

March 23

Contracts come back, signed by me and returned to buyers solicitor. 

End of March sale closed and good riddance!

6 months in total. Process was more complicated because I was selling an apartment, I had a sitting tenant, and there was a management company involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bluebird22

Why did you need a Land Registry compliant map for an apartment, is that a standard request and what did getting it involve? Hoping to go sale agreed soon and wondering if I’ll need the same! Thank

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

It's now a requirement when selling. I would check with your solicitor. Prices varied hugely, €600 was the cheapest I could find. Someone calls out to the apartment and measures it, locates the parking space and then creates the maps. The company I got to do it were very efficient and easy to deal with.

Not sure if I can post the site name here, DM me if you would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

Nope

just an owner who couldn’t get LPT clearance cert as she hadn’t paid it.

sorted now.

the relief!,,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

We were waiting for a cert to say a shed out back was exempt from planning. Got the cert but it has a few wrong details like mention of "1st floor" in a shed with a flat roof ffs. Closing date was mast Thursday so incredibly annoying that silly things like this are holding us up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Wow, that's a very long time to sort something incredibly straight forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

Hi hoping someone can give me an estimate as to how long it takes solicitor to send contracts to buyers solicitor once he/she has received the title deeds from the bank.

I know it's a broad question, just looking for a rough idea. Appears to be a straight forward sale, no boundary issues, no extensions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Man I'm feeling like poop today.

Went sale agreed on a house last July, after 6 months of waiting for land registry issues to be resolved, we started to look around at other options. One place stood out that we liked but we were out bid but about a month ago, we got offered the house we liked. Pulled out of the first house, went sale agreed on the new one. After getting a good survey in, I though we were golden, but just got a call a few hours ago to tell me, no, our solicitor says walk away from this place, it's got too many issues because of dodgy deeds/sales work when the houses were built.

To top it off, we were evicted on Friday, moved in with family because we thought, ah we won't be here too long, house purchase in progress and now this. Very lucky to have family available for us to prevail upon but this feels like a real blow, especially as we were on a council scheme, could have been rehoused, but we said we'd take the short-term hit of living with family, before moving to our new home.

I know the solicitor is doing his job, I know it's ultimately for the best but jesus, its fierce annoying we can't buy a house. Especially listening to people I work with in the states who talk about buying a house and moving in over a weekend. Apparently if I'd been a cash buyer, they wouldn't have objected to the sale, but the bank (to be fair, correctly) won't lend where there are legal issues.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sorry to hear it, the whole process is so deeply flawed.

There's something else out there, just keep looking!

It honestly means a lot just to hear another person agree that there is something drastically wrong when apparently housing is the number 1 hot topic, but because of stupid issues (first a road and deed issue and then an apparent double sale of a road) are causing sales to fall through. Especially when no one in the houses had the same issues when they bought the houses and it's impossible to see how an issue would occur.

I'm going to feel sorry for myself for about 3 more hours and then I'll get back on the wagon, but again, thanks for the agreement. I just want one other person to shake fists with me at "the government" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I blame many people, the government first and foremost.

I also blame the EAs, the banks, and everyone involved in construction. It is my firmest belief that not a single one of them gives a sh*t about whether they do a good job, a bad job, or even no job. They know they'll get paid at the end of the day by the sucker buying the house who has no other choice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That’s really **** red. Really hope you can blow off some steam and get back in the hunt, it’s crazy how difficult/slow it can be in Ireland to buy/sell. Fingers crossed you’re updating here soon with good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

We're waiting on the bank to approve a cert for a shed and then our solicitor can send signed contracts to the vendor. Had hoped to be in last week but hopefully 2-3 weeks... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Talk to a different solicitor. Some of them are just lazy and dont actually want the work if it is in any way not straight forward.

Speaking to a new solicitor you might find that they know ways around this, even if it costs a bit more money to get it done.

Dont speak to the same one again because you are just asking him to back up his own opinion at this point which of course he will do. Get a new fresh opinion from another.

To be fair to the solicitor, he said he can definitely fight the issues, but he just can't guarantee we'll get what we want, they only thing he can guarantee is a bill at the end. He's going to try and get the bank to qualify the title with what we have today anyway and if it gets shot down (which I'm expecting) then we go back to the search (Christ I hate the search).

I'm wayyyy more annoyed at the EA who refused to tell us why the last crowd pulled out of the house, and my solicitor suspects it was the same reason and could have saved me a couple of grand if she'd just been honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

We sent Sale Agreed in Jan, and after a blip with a planning issue, which we have thankfully managed to sort, contracts are now signed and our solicitor has put in the funding request to BoI today. Very conscious of the upcoming interest rate hike, we were really annoyed to have missed the last one, so really really want to avoid this one if at all possible. Solicitor is saying allow 14 days for the funds to come through. Anyone recently draw down from BoI and can give an idea of how long it will take? A friend just got in ahead of the last rate hike, but it was down the the wire, and the bank said they hadnt submitted some form, which their solicitor swears was submitted, so really hope the bank dont delay matters. Also, what paperwork are we likely to get asked for by the bank ahead of the draw down? I assume up to date pay slips, but anything else we should have ready? Our MP and Home Insurance are in place and bank have said they are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cailinglas1

After two years and over 20+ houses viewed, and being sale agreed on our dream house at Christmas and having to pull out due to serious boundary issues, we are finally sale agreed on a house we love in a great area. Everything has been moving along smoothly, and are also dying to get in ahead of the next rate increase on 05/05. We have loan offer and are awaiting vendor's contracts. Spoke with EA last week and he said that the vendor hopes to have the sale closed within 6 weeks. Anyone ideas on timelines for vendor's contracts? We are hoping of no unforeseen delays and potentially wondering if we could drawdown a little early to avoid a rate increase. The stress of it all!

Really depends, been sale agreed on 2 houses in the last year, one we never got the contracts for after 9 months of being sale agreed because of boundry issues, the other, we have the contracts in 5 days (but that fell through unfortunately too).

If the vendor is hoping to move fast though, I'd be hoping to see contracts in about 5 or 6 days

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Reading this forum it’s no wonder we have a housing crises. The amount of people tied up at sale agreed, contract stage etc and the time it’s taking to resolve issues, no wonder there is such a bottleneck. Of course nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Went to view a house yesterday....no shortage of interest....estate agent said the country is awash with money....rang a builder today....booked out for the year....he said the country was full of money....

Its funny, everytime i turn on RTE, id swear the country was broke from the cost of living crisis!!!😂

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

And do you believe everything an estate agent tells you??

Definitely don't take a financial advice from an estate agent.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Almost of all of the growth in household wealth can be attributed to the wealthiest 10 per cent of Ireland.

Some of the country are doing quite alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I don't envy some of the people going through the process at the moment, and I'd be in no rush to go through it again myself.

I have a relative in NZ who is a single mother, and was recently told she had to leave her rental property as the owner was going to sell. The rental situation over there seems just as bad as here, and she didn't know what to do. She spoke to a financial advisor, and they asked whether she had considered trying to buy. This is something she never thought would be possible, but long story short, she collected the keys to her own house less than 6 weeks later. That's less than 6 weeks from the initial suggestion that she should consider trying to buy. I had to wait 6 weeks for the vendors of the house I bought to find a document they'd lost.

There's something seriously wrong about the way things are done over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Took me 5 months from going sale agreed to closing despite me being eager to buy and the seller eager to sell. There was a time vacuum of 2-3 months where simply nothing was done by their solicitor along with no communication whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Took us 4 months and pretty similar to yourself, would think it would be beneficial to the whole industry if the process was quicker, more turnover, more business for everybody involved.

Advertisement